FoodBanter.com

-   -   Soup with chicken - not a chicken soup :-) (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/422849-soup-chicken-not-chicken.html)

Bjørn Steensrud 16-02-2013 09:25 PM

Soup with chicken - not a chicken soup :-)

Chop one shallot,
chop one clove of garlic (I'll use more next time)
remove seeds and dividers from one red chili and chop it
Cut half a leek in strips

Sautee shallot lightly in butter,
add garlic, leek, one sprig of fresh basil and one of fresh coriander (the
green stuff that has another name in English, you know what I mean),
chopped chili and half a lemongrass stalk.

To the sauce pan add 2 tsp soy sauce, 300 ml white wine, bring to a boil
and add 500 ml cream of coconut (canned coconut milk, here).
Simmer for 5 minutes.

Cut one largish chicken filet in narrow strips and fry in butter.

Strain soup, put the liquid back in a pot and whisk in 1 or 2 tbsp butter
over low heat. Add lightly browned chicken strips, serve hot and enjoy!

Of course, add other spices as you like them - I'd like to try garam masala
once.

I was skeptical to the chili at first, but the bits were strained out, and
it seemed to me that the chili heat was absorbed into the chicken pieces.

I wondered about carbs in the coconut milk - but it has only 1.5% by weight,
no problem.

Oh, for non-diabetics, a mango lassi is the perfect end to the meal :-)

Bjørn Steensrud 16-02-2013 09:27 PM

Bjørn Steensrud wrote:

> Simmer for 5 minutes.

Should be 10 minutes, maybe.

bigwheel 17-02-2013 10:34 PM

Too much wine. Only use about 1/4 cup to deglaze the pan after browning up the other stuff. Reduce till it goes away and scrape up the bits. Take up the volume saved by the addition of some good chicken stock. That should make a person good soup. There aint no such thing as a "chili pepper"...you might be thinking of a "chile." How hot is mostly dependent on what kinda chile it is. The "dividers" are called "membranes" in God's Country. They are commonly left intact cept if feeding wimmen..chillins or yankees. Then it be ok to remove since they add to the heat level supposedly. I cant tell much difference on Japs or Habs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozgirl (Post 1814209)

Todd 18-02-2013 04:23 AM

On 02/17/2013 01:34 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> There aint no such thing as a "chili pepper"...you might
> be thinking of a "chile."

You have to call them by name. They all have their distinctive
personalities. My favorite is Chimayo (a.k.a. New Mexico Red).
It is the distinctive flavor in enchiladas. And, these peppers
are on our unlimited list.

> I cant tell much difference on Japs or Habs.

You eat Habaneros? You have to wear protective gear
and breathing apparatus to harvest those things!
Dude! You are the man!

Had a Chocolate Habanero (name of the pepper, no actual
chocolate in them) hot sauce years ago. One drop! Oh
man the flavor! Oh man the P-A-I-N!

-T

bigwheel 18-02-2013 05:02 PM

Yep Habs do pack some heat along with a bunch of flavor. Much more than Japs in my view. Usually included as a component in beans or various Jerk BBQ recipes. Got to have a taste of the Islands Mon. Wearing gloves is a great idea when handling either. Had one old chili recipe which called for Chimayo powder..which the only flavor profile it added was heat least as far as I could tell. It aint an ingredient in my Enchiladas..lol. Been waiting for the smart food scientists to come with a heatless or at least reduced heat Hab..they already did for Japs ya know? Was at the behest of the Pace Picante sauce folks to go in their mild version. Person who did that for Habs could be a millionaire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd (Post 1814630)

Todd 18-02-2013 10:43 PM

On 02/18/2013 08:02 AM, bigwheel wrote:
> Person who did that for Habs could be a millionaire.

1+