Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default how long do you need to cook soup to become soup?

Billy > wrote:
: > Switch to low
: > carb breads,pitas, tortillas, etc. they are available. Josephs, Aladdin,
: > Pepperidge Farm CarbStyle, etc. Josephs' has a website so you can get
: > them through there is your localstores don't or won't carry them. their
: > pitas are fine. toufayan alsohad low carb pita, which are better if
: > higher in calroies(not carbs, 4-5 for a large pita. Trader Jowes carrys a
: > low carb tortilla Mission also has some.
: I'm willing to try low carb bread, it it isn't from a chemists bench. Do
: any of the above fit that criterion?

In general the low carb breads contain assorted brans and the Joseph
Pitas lots os o flax seed. It seems to be achieved more by removing
starchy parts of grains than my funny chemicals or artificial stuff.
The breads are not a strong as regular ones so you have to be careful
about a leaky sandwich:-) As a dentist once told me. think of false
teeth , not as a substitute for real teeth but as onea substitute for no
teeth. I still have lots of my own teeth, but I think of the low carb as
a substitute for NO BREAD!

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Billy > wrote:
> : > Switch to low
> : > carb breads,pitas, tortillas, etc. they are available. Josephs,
> : > Aladdin,
> : > Pepperidge Farm CarbStyle, etc. Josephs' has a website so you can get
> : > them through there is your localstores don't or won't carry them. their
> : > pitas are fine. toufayan alsohad low carb pita, which are better if
> : > higher in calroies(not carbs, 4-5 for a large pita. Trader Jowes carrys
> : > a
> : > low carb tortilla Mission also has some.
> : I'm willing to try low carb bread, it it isn't from a chemists bench. Do
> : any of the above fit that criterion?
>
> In general the low carb breads contain assorted brans and the Joseph
> Pitas lots os o flax seed. It seems to be achieved more by removing
> starchy parts of grains than my funny chemicals or artificial stuff.
> The breads are not a strong as regular ones so you have to be careful
> about a leaky sandwich:-) As a dentist once told me. think of false
> teeth , not as a substitute for real teeth but as onea substitute for no
> teeth. I still have lots of my own teeth, but I think of the low carb as
> a substitute for NO BREAD!
>
> Wendy

Falafels are one of the foods I'm eating more of. So far, I've stayed
with whole wheat but the Joseph Pitas looks interesting. Its sodium is
on the high side (300mg), but I'd only eat 2 at the most. At 8 gm
carbs, it is far better than anything else I've seen. Thanks.

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

It depends on your diet. I learned that the hard way, I tried this particular cookbook called "Paleo diet" and it is working very well for my body type and it has changed my metabolism and made my lifestyle better.

http://cooklikeacaveman.com/paleo-cookbook-review/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 11:17 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Billy, I am 77, use a rolling walker and have adult wet macular
> degeneration.

Hi Wendy,

MD runs in my wife's family. The following supplement
"seems" help:

http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-lut...loraglo-lutein

It is a mixture of zeaxanthin and lutin. She found the adding
mezozeaxanthin seems to cancel the effect. There is some research to
verify that but I can't find it to reference it.

And, she has me on it too. I have not had an eye prescription
change in over 25 years. Freaks the eye doctor out. :-)

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/25/2013 10:41 PM, wrote:
> It depends on your diet. I learned that the hard way, I tried this particular cookbook called "Paleo diet" and it is working very well for my body type and it has changed my metabolism and made my lifestyle better.

http://cooklikeacaveman.com/paleo-cookbook-review/

Thank you! I am trying to do just that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/17/2013 08:36 AM, Susan wrote:
> One BIG objection; parsley flakes. You could substitute yesterday's
> newspaper.

Hi Susan,

Finally managed to find a bunch of fresh organic parsley.
What a difference! "yesterday's newspaper" is a pretty good
description.

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 03/22/2013 11:17 AM, W. Baker wrote:
>> Billy, I am 77, use a rolling walker and have adult wet macular
>> degeneration.

> Hi Wendy,
>
> MD runs in my wife's family. The following supplement
> "seems" help:
>
> http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-lut...loraglo-lutein
>
> It is a mixture of zeaxanthin and lutin. She found the adding
> mezozeaxanthin seems to cancel the effect. There is some research to
> verify that but I can't find it to reference it.
>
> And, she has me on it too. I have not had an eye prescription
> change in over 25 years. Freaks the eye doctor out. :-)
>
> -T

My mom has macular degeneration. Is totally blind now in one eye and can
barely see out of the other. Don't know if it is wet or dry. I have asked
her and she thinks it's not my business so won't say. But she takes
Occuvite and I'm pretty sure that it has those things in there. Doesn't
seem to help her at all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 02/17/2013 08:36 AM, Susan wrote:
>> One BIG objection; parsley flakes. You could substitute yesterday's
>> newspaper.

> Hi Susan,
>
> Finally managed to find a bunch of fresh organic parsley.
> What a difference! "yesterday's newspaper" is a pretty good
> description.

I don't notice a difference at all in cooked foods. I do buy fresh for
stuff like salads. But otherwise I use the flakes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 03/22/2013 11:17 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: > Billy, I am 77, use a rolling walker and have adult wet macular
: > degeneration.

: Hi Wendy,

: MD runs in my wife's family. The following supplement
: "seems" help:

: http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-lut...loraglo-lutein

: It is a mixture of zeaxanthin and lutin. She found the adding
: mezozeaxanthin seems to cancel the effect. There is some research to
: verify that but I can't find it to reference it.

: And, she has me on it too. I have not had an eye prescription
: change in over 25 years. Freaks the eye doctor out. :-)

: -T

I get regular shots in the eye for my remaining one and they work quite
well.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/26/2013 08:54 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 03/22/2013 11:17 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> : > Billy, I am 77, use a rolling walker and have adult wet macular
> : > degeneration.
>
> : Hi Wendy,
>
> : MD runs in my wife's family. The following supplement
> : "seems" help:
>
> : http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-lut...loraglo-lutein
>
> : It is a mixture of zeaxanthin and lutin. She found the adding
> : mezozeaxanthin seems to cancel the effect. There is some research to
> : verify that but I can't find it to reference it.
>
> : And, she has me on it too. I have not had an eye prescription
> : change in over 25 years. Freaks the eye doctor out. :-)
>
> : -T
>
> I get regular shots in the eye for my remaining one and they work quite
> well.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

For our records, if it does not violate your privacy too much,
what is the shot?

Many thanks,
-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > Todd > wrote:
: > : On 03/22/2013 11:17 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: > : > Billy, I am 77, use a rolling walker and have adult wet macular
: > : > degeneration.
: >
: > : Hi Wendy,
: >
[...]

Currently it is Eyelea. Before that ws developed it was Lucentis and
before that Avastin. There has been fairly rapid development in these
meds. the advantage of the Eyelea over the Lucentis is that it can work
for as long as 8 weeks. I am currently at 6 weeks and hope to be able to
extend that a bit mre at my next visit. With Lucentis I never quite made
it to weeks and Avastin, the least expensive, ony held my vision for 3
1/2 weeks. It is a pain and expensive for medicare adn my supplementary
insurance, but worth it as I woudl otherwise be legally blind and unable
to read.

As to the vitamins, they hope that taking them may help n preventing the
development of the AWMD but all the evidence is not yet in. the standard
is Preservision, a Bauch and Lomb patented vitamin combo(at least there
are no stor brand or generic version I see ). No guarantee, but no reason
Not to take them.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker > wrote:
: Todd > wrote:
: : >
[...]

PS-that shot is directly into the eye. That was the big acvance with
Avastin which ws originally an off label use. By giving the med in a tiny
dose right into the eye you avoided the bad side effects of Avastin
injected into the whole sustem , mostly cardio-vascular. The shot into
the eye gives none of these side effects. what is beign done is shrinking
the extra bloodvessels which are the cause of the vision problems adn
ultimately loss of vision through hemhorage of the wildly growing vblood
vessels. the drug, by shrinking the vessels reduces the distorion of the
vision and doesn't let the vessels expand to the breaking point, leding to
central vision loss.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/27/2013 09:08 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> W. Baker > wrote:
> : Todd > wrote:
> : : >
> : : > I get regular shots in the eye for my remaining one and they work quite
> : : > well.
> : : >
> : : > Wendy
> : : >
>
> : : Hi Wendy,
>
> : : For our records, if it does not violate your privacy too much,
> : : what is the shot?
>
> : : Many thanks,
> : : -T
>
> : Currently it is Eyelea. Before that ws developed it was Lucentis and
> : before that Avastin. There has been fairly rapid development in these
> : meds. the advantage of the Eyelea over the Lucentis is that it can work
> : for as long as 8 weeks. I am currently at 6 weeks and hope to be able to
> : extend that a bit mre at my next visit. With Lucentis I never quite made
> : it to weeks and Avastin, the least expensive, ony held my vision for 3
> : 1/2 weeks. It is a pain and expensive for medicare adn my supplementary
> : insurance, but worth it as I woudl otherwise be legally blind and unable
> : to read.
>
> : As to the vitamins, they hope that taking them may help n preventing the
> : development of the AWMD but all the evidence is not yet in. the standard
> : is Preservision, a Bauch and Lomb patented vitamin combo(at least there
> : are no stor brand or generic version I see ). No guarantee, but no reason
> : Not to take them.
>
> : Wendy
>
> PS-that shot is directly into the eye. That was the big acvance with
> Avastin which ws originally an off label use. By giving the med in a tiny
> dose right into the eye you avoided the bad side effects of Avastin
> injected into the whole sustem , mostly cardio-vascular. The shot into
> the eye gives none of these side effects. what is beign done is shrinking
> the extra bloodvessels which are the cause of the vision problems adn
> ultimately loss of vision through hemhorage of the wildly growing vblood
> vessels. the drug, by shrinking the vessels reduces the distorion of the
> vision and doesn't let the vessels expand to the breaking point, leding to
> central vision loss.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thank you. I copied it down for our records. Hopefully MD won't
visit either of us.

-T