Old 22-03-2013, 03:29 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default how long do you need to cook soup to become soup?

Billy wrote:
: :
: : I prefer to use a food processor for gazpacho as it chops rather than
: : liqufies and i like the textures. If I usee canned dices tomatoes i may
: : not even put them into the processor at all. Just a queston of what you
: : prefer. If you are on a low salt regimin I suggest that rather than use
: : tomato juice(even lower sat) that you use the a 6oz can of not salt
: : aded tomato paste, reconstituted with 2-3 cans of water. Many brans of
: : tomato paste are no salt, so just check your labels.
: :
: : Wendy
:
: : I use fresh tomatoes from the garden, with fresh peppers, and organic
: : celery, and carrots, along with 1/2 - 1 cup of vinegar. It's alot like a
: : stew. You look in the garden, and/or the refrigerator to see what you
: : are going to use.
:
: I use both tomatoes and the reconstituted juice as that is what my
: original recipe caled for and it gave , for me, the right amount of
: tomato and liquid. this works with both fresh and canned tomatoes.
: Beign willing to use the canned gives one a longer season, particualy up
: north, when he ripe tomato seson is quite short adn the ones you can buy
: in the stores are nt worth it, canned are better.
:
: Wendy.

: It sounds very reasonable, but, without trying to sound condescending, I
: only drink gazpacho during the summer. When the coolness, and the bite
: of the vinegar is refreshing. During the winter, like most people, I
: simply try to find the least insecticide ridden tomatoes that I can, and
: wait grudgingly for the next season. Otherwise, for sauces, and stews
: ect., I look for the cans of tomatoes that say no salt added.

: You can start your seeds anytime now. Some tomatoes are determinants
: that are only meant to be grown in pots (Glacier, Koralik, etc.). Then
: be sure to set out some basil plants. Basil, and tomatoes, are right in
: there with sweet corn as one of the delights of summer.

i summer intermitantly in the Northern Catskills of NY. It really is zone
4 on top of my hill. Last frost can be early June adn firsts frost can be
in early Sept, but is often later, say mid to late Sept. I no longer do
much gardeningfor assorted reasons, just 3 tomato plants in a large tub on
my deck and some flowers in boses to cheer the place up.

Local tomatoes don't show up until well into July from the garden markets
and the big farms are havign you pick'em end of season and canning
tomatoes right after labor Day. I love gazpacho and hate to limit it to
such a short season so make it once it is reasonably warm from the canned
tomatoes and do the same in the Fall. I used to start all kinds of thigs
from seed andin the early spring in NYC and bring them up in late May to
the Catskills and had variable success. Now, with no car and usin the bus
to get up ad down, this ha become impossible.

Wendy

Old 22-03-2013, 06:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Billy wrote:
: :
[...]

boxes to cheer the place up. "
-----

So you are a gardener. You can't be alone. Others there must garden
also, so there must be a nursery, no? Where you can buy starter plants.

I often think that the perfume that come from the tomato vines is almost
as pleasant as the tomato fruit itself. Chacun à son gôut, they say, but
as good as a tomato is, it is even better with basil.

I never had much use for parsley, until I grew it, then it suddenly
became a mainstay of the kitchen, especially with sautéed mushrooms with
shallots, or sautéed snow peas, or carrots, or green beans. As a
garnish, it can go on all sorts of baked dishes.

A little food for thought. Herb plants can be annual, biennial, or
perennial. Perennial herbs, such as chives, lavender, oregano, thyme,
overwinter well in the ground. In most areas simply wait until a few
hard freezes and then cut back tall herbs to within 4 to 6 inches of the
ground. In cold winter areas (USDA zones 3-5), add a 2- to 3-inch-thick
layer of shredded bark mulch on top of the herbs for added protection.
The bark will prevent the ground from freezing and thawing in winter,
making it less likely the herb roots will heave out of the ground,
desiccate, and die.

Happy gardening.

Local tomatoes don't show up until well into July from the garden markets
and the big farms are havign you pick'em end of season and canning
tomatoes right after labor Day. I love gazpacho and hate to limit it to
such a short season so make it once it is reasonably warm from the canned
tomatoes and do the same in the Fall. I used to start all kinds of thigs
from seed andin the early spring in NYC and bring them up in late May to
the Catskills and had variable success. Now, with no car and usin the bus
to get up ad down, this ha become impossible.

Wendy

"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget
ourselves."
- Mahatma Gandhi

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 22-03-2013, 07:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

[...]

: boxes to cheer the place up. "
: -----

: So you are a gardener. You can't be alone. Others there must garden
: also, so there must be a nursery, no? Where you can buy starter plants.

: I often think that the perfume that come from the tomato vines is almost
: as pleasant as the tomato fruit itself. Chacun ? son g?ut, they say, but
: as good as a tomato is, it is even better with basil.

: I never had much use for parsley, until I grew it, then it suddenly
: became a mainstay of the kitchen, especially with saut?ed mushrooms with
: shallots, or saut?ed snow peas, or carrots, or green beans. As a
[...]

Billy, I am 77, use a rolling walker and have adult wet macular
degeneration. I am happy to have my fer deck plants and a botof basil
onmy windosill in the winter. I jsut look at the reat of my gardens going
to weed and seed adn try to remove the worst of the stinging nettles and
big tall weeds as I can a few at a time. Of course there is a nursery.
Where do you think I get my 3 tomato plantsand flowers for my deck boxes?
If I could still garden on the ground I would gladly do it,but it isno
longer possible. I can't even drive anymore so have to get locals to take
me to town to the stores fora few bucks. Few neighbors near meso I only
go up every other week.

Wendy
Old 23-03-2013, 06:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Billy wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

[...]

Sorry to hear that, but we are old. Shit happens. Strangely, I hope I
make it to 77. I'm 70 now. Yeah, I know, whenever we die, it is a major
inconvenience. I presume you've taken all the supplements.

I am happy to have my fer deck plants and a botof basil
onmy windosill in the winter. I jsut look at the reat of my gardens going
to weed and seed adn try to remove the worst of the stinging nettles and
big tall weeds as I can a few at a time.

You have stinging Nettles? Lucky you.
http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Urtica+dioica

Of course there is a nursery.

Easy, I didn't mean to get you all worked up.

Where do you think I get my 3 tomato plantsand flowers for my deck boxes?
If I could still garden on the ground I would gladly do it,but it isno
longer possible. I can't even drive anymore so have to get locals to take
me to town to the stores fora few bucks. Few neighbors near meso I only
go up every other week.

Wendy

I know. The worst part of getting old is the continuing humiliations of
not being able to do what you used to be able to do. Hang on girl. Enjoy
the smell of the trees, and the sounds of the birds. There is that old
story about the guy who is chased of a cliff by a bear, but he catches a
root sticking out of the cliff. Then he sees that there is a pack of
wolves below him. He knows he is screwed, but then he sees a ripe
strawberry in front of him, growing from the cliff. He takes the
strawberry, eats it, and enjoys the taste. It's sort of the situation
that we are all in.

Enjoy the morning.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 23-03-2013, 02:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

: Billy wrote:
: : In article ,
: : "W. Baker" wrote:
:
: : : I use both tomatoes and the reconstituted juice as that is what my
: : : original recipe caled for and it gave , for me, the right amount of
: : : tomato and liquid. this works with both fresh and canned tomatoes.
: : : Beign willing to use the canned gives one a longer season, particualy
: : : up
: : : north, when he ripe tomato seson is quite short adn the ones you can
: : : buy
: : : in the stores are nt worth it, canned are better.
: : :
: : : Wendy.
: :
[...]
: : boxes to cheer the place up. "
: : -----
:
[...]

When I am in NYC, where I am primarily, I am very little handicapped. I
am able to walk fair distances, up to about 3 miles a day doing this and
that. I attend(and walk to, concerts quite regularly and am able to shop
and carry the packages home(hangig from the walker:-) the dity is a great
place to get old. If I need it, I can, not only get groceries relived or
evenordered by computer, but many restaurants will deliver food to my
door. One need' feel that old or limited in such a setting. It is in the
summer,when I go to the little house I have in the Catskills that all
these limitations loom laarge. In the city I can even get on and off
busses easily and for trips that would need the subway I niw cna use the
special service at public transit cost tom, of Access-A-Ride which picks
me up and delivers me whenever adn wherever I want to go.

I don't need symathy, but just want to exlain why just recommending that
someone garden more to get the benefit of all those vegetables is not
always possible. by the way, except for Calcium and vitamin D, I take no
supplements at all.

Wendy

Old 23-03-2013, 02:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy wrote:
: Your link didn't work for me, so I don't know how they evaluated the
: effect on blood glucose levels of various pastas. The only one that
: doesn't spike me is CarbaNada.
: They didn't have blood glucose levels from various pastas just taste and
: general nutrition.
: Taste: Among whole-grain pastas, the two Very Good choices are store
: brands. (Read more about store brands.) Whole Foods and Trader Joe?s are
: sweet and nutty, with a chewy texture. (That?s a good thing.) Other
: choices lost points for, among other issues, crumbly texture and
: cardboardy flavor. Lowest-rated Hodgson Mill is not only crumbly but
: pasty and very bitter.

: Nutrition: Most of the spaghettis earned a nutrition score of Very Good
: or Good, based on calories per gram, fats, sodium, sugars, iron,
: calcium, and fiber. Almost all have more fiber than regular spaghetti?5
: or 6 grams per 1-cup serving (cooked), vs. about 2 grams. (The
: recommended daily value for fiber is about 25 grams for a person eating
: 2,000 calories per day.) Just keep in mind that 1 cup of pasta isn?t
: much. Scarf down the contents of a big bowl, and you?ll consume far more
: calories than advertised.

: Bottom line. The five recommended spaghettis taste very good, and most
: provide 5 grams of fiber. No pasta is pricey, but whole-wheat and
: added-nutrient types tend to cost a bit more than the regular type.

Remember, for many of us the carb content and the carb absorbtion rate of
these pasta products is the main issue. We use our meters to detirmine
which, if any, we can eat without spiking. All the nutrients, etc are of
no help if our blood sugars are thrown out of kilter. For Susan, , after
testing she has found that only the Carbo-nada works for her and she lets
us know so we can try it for ourselves and see if it woks for us. That is
the diabetes slant on these foods.

Wendy

Old 23-03-2013, 07:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Billy wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

: Billy wrote:
: : In article ,
: : "W. Baker" wrote:
:
[...]

Sorry, if I sounded patronizing. As usual, I was mostly talking to
myself, and trying to encourage "Carp Diem". Sometimes I need to remind
myself.

I've only been to DooWa Ditty once, back in the early 60s. Loved the
sausage sandwiches around Washington Sq. Was stunned to see a Marxist,
and a Leninist, and a Trotskyist (sp?) bookstores all on the same block.
It was also the first time I saw people sleeping on the streets. Maybe
that's why when I think of New York, I think of Emma Goldman.

I enjoyed my stay, but cities wear me out. I like peace and quiet. I've
lived in Northern California for close to 50 years, near where the oaks
meet the Redwoods. Some of my fondest memories are from when our local
thoroughfare would get flooded out, and the traffic stopped. Even better
was when the power would go out for a few hours, too, and all you could
hear was nature. That wasn't an uncommon experience, a decade or so ago,
but now with flood control, it's traffic 24/7. Nothing like you have in
New York, of course. I guess I have the "princess and the pea" syndrome.

I have about 600 sq. ft. that I garden. The garden is on the north side
of a hill, under trees, and getting enough sunshine is always a problem.
I put some seedling out yesterday to catch some real sun, instead of
grow lights. Well, I guess I should go scatter some alfalfa on our
garden beds.

Have a good day.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 23-03-2013, 09:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

My dietary restrictions are low carbs, low fat, and low salt. I try to
keep my carbs down, but I gotta eat. I went low carb/high fat for
several years, but 5 stents later, I'm trying to let my cardiologist
prove her point. Having read Taubes, though, I have grave doubts.
If I can get my cholesterol where my cardiologist wants it, then I'll
pay more attention to the carbs. I'm trying to walk a tightrope, and I'm
not very good at it. It's all going to end badly in any event.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 23-03-2013, 09:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

: My dietary restrictions are low carbs, low fat, and low salt. I try to
: keep my carbs down, but I gotta eat. I went low carb/high fat for
: several years, but 5 stents later, I'm trying to let my cardiologist
: prove her point. Having read Taubes, though, I have grave doubts.
: If I can get my cholesterol where my cardiologist wants it, then I'll
: pay more attention to the carbs. I'm trying to walk a tightrope, and I'm
: not very good at it. It's all going to end badly in any event.

Have you switched to lots of ground turkey in place of beef or other
ground meats, chicken breast(remove skin before eating, not cooking) lots
of fish of assorted kinds. use mon oils like olive oil, etc. Make you
own salad dressing with n salt but lots of herbs, etc, Try cottage cheese,
berries and some plain yogurt for breakfast. works for me. Switch to low
carb breads,pitas, tortillas, etc. they are available. Josephs, Aladdin,
Pepperidge Farm CarbStyle, etc. Josephs' has a website so you can get
them through there is your localstores don't or won't carry them. their
pitas are fine. toufayan alsohad low carb pita, which are better if
higher in calroies(not carbs, 4-5 for a large pita. Trader Jowes carrys a
low carb tortilla Mission also has some. I don't eat pasta. I use either
whole string beans(fresh, not frozen or canned) or spachetti squash. You
can dress them just like pasta adn much lower carbs. These are the only
breads I keep in the house. Also try ryevita and Was bread, two brands of
whole grain large crackersthat can sub for bread for many things(not
sandwiches, butopen topped stuff). If you can't use salt, use powdered
onion powder(NOT onion salt) to sprinkle at table, also use small
amounts of currypowder to give a lift to soup and other wet dishes that
salt does.

I hope some of this can hellp. these are all things I have tried adn they
work for me. I amno longer low salt with a bp of 117/70 but I stil
basically cook without it, like all steamed vegetalbes, stews, roasts,
etc. Only osup do I now use salt to cook, but only near the end of
cooking. None of this requires high fat or high meat. I used to make
meat soups so Ihad the meaty taste and only small amounts of meat in the
actual dish and made soup my main course.

Many of us hav been there. fortunately, my heart, etc seem to be in good
shape, but I don't fool around with them. I have read and sruggles with
reading Taubes and agree with much that he says, but I tend to cover
myself from all directions. Lower on red meat than formerly, make
bvegetarian main dises several nights a week. Of course, beign able now
to use salt makes it esier, but you can still do it.

Wendy!
Old 23-03-2013, 11:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Billy wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

: My dietary restrictions are low carbs, low fat, and low salt. I try to
: keep my carbs down, but I gotta eat. I went low carb/high fat for
: several years, but 5 stents later, I'm trying to let my cardiologist
: prove her point. Having read Taubes, though, I have grave doubts.
: If I can get my cholesterol where my cardiologist wants it, then I'll
: pay more attention to the carbs. I'm trying to walk a tightrope, and I'm
: not very good at it. It's all going to end badly in any event.

Have you switched to lots of ground turkey in place of beef or other
ground meats, chicken breast(remove skin before eating, not cooking) lots
of fish of assorted kinds. use mon oils like olive oil, etc. Make you
own salad dressing with n salt but lots of herbs, etc, Try cottage cheese,
berries and some plain yogurt for breakfast. works for me.

Already doing the above.
Switch to low
carb breads,pitas, tortillas, etc. they are available. Josephs, Aladdin,
Pepperidge Farm CarbStyle, etc. Josephs' has a website so you can get
them through there is your localstores don't or won't carry them. their
pitas are fine. toufayan alsohad low carb pita, which are better if
higher in calroies(not carbs, 4-5 for a large pita. Trader Jowes carrys a
low carb tortilla Mission also has some.

I'm willing to try low carb bread, it it isn't from a chemists bench. Do
any of the above fit that criterion?

I don't eat pasta. I use either
whole string beans(fresh, not frozen or canned) or spachetti squash. You
can dress them just like pasta adn much lower carbs. These are the only
breads I keep in the house. Also try ryevita and Was bread, two brands of
whole grain large crackersthat can sub for bread for many things(not
sandwiches, butopen topped stuff). If you can't use salt, use powdered
onion powder(NOT onion salt) to sprinkle at table, also use small
amounts of currypowder to give a lift to soup and other wet dishes that
salt does.

I can't remember the last time I added salt to anything. Usually, I'm
occupied with finding the lowest sodium items, like tomato sauce, that I
can. Sometime I have a couple of olives, a pepperocini, or a slice of
salami, but then I make sure that I stay under a gram of salt/day.

I hope some of this can hellp. these are all things I have tried adn they
work for me. I amno longer low salt with a bp of 117/70 but I stil
basically cook without it, like all steamed vegetalbes, stews, roasts,
etc. Only osup do I now use salt to cook, but only near the end of
cooking. None of this requires high fat or high meat. I used to make
meat soups so Ihad the meaty taste and only small amounts of meat in the
actual dish and made soup my main course.

I was lucky to learn cooking from a Frenchman who thought that salt was
a crutch for chefs, and cooks.

Many of us hav been there. fortunately, my heart, etc seem to be in good
shape, but I don't fool around with them. I have read and sruggles with
reading Taubes and agree with much that he says, but I tend to cover
myself from all directions. Lower on red meat than formerly, make
bvegetarian main dises several nights a week. Of course, beign able now
to use salt makes it esier, but you can still do it.

Wendy!

I'm trying. I'm trying like my life depended on it.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 24-03-2013, 03:46 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy wrote:
: Switch to low
: carb breads,pitas, tortillas, etc. they are available. Josephs, Aladdin,
: Pepperidge Farm CarbStyle, etc. Josephs' has a website so you can get
: them through there is your localstores don't or won't carry them. their
: pitas are fine. toufayan alsohad low carb pita, which are better if
: higher in calroies(not carbs, 4-5 for a large pita. Trader Jowes carrys a
: low carb tortilla Mission also has some.
: I'm willing to try low carb bread, it it isn't from a chemists bench. Do
: any of the above fit that criterion?

In general the low carb breads contain assorted brans and the Joseph
Pitas lots os o flax seed. It seems to be achieved more by removing
starchy parts of grains than my funny chemicals or artificial stuff.
The breads are not a strong as regular ones so you have to be careful
about a leaky sandwich:-) As a dentist once told me. think of false
teeth , not as a substitute for real teeth but as onea substitute for no
teeth. I still have lots of my own teeth, but I think of the low carb as
a substitute for NO BREAD!

Wendy

Old 24-03-2013, 09:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

Falafels are one of the foods I'm eating more of. So far, I've stayed
with whole wheat but the Joseph Pitas looks interesting. Its sodium is
on the high side (300mg), but I'd only eat 2 at the most. At 8 gm
carbs, it is far better than anything else I've seen. Thanks.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 26-03-2013, 06:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

It depends on your diet. I learned that the hard way, I tried this particular cookbook called "Paleo diet" and it is working very well for my body type and it has changed my metabolism and made my lifestyle better.

http://cooklikeacaveman.com/paleo-cookbook-review/
Old 27-03-2013, 12:04 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 11:17 AM, W. Baker wrote:
Billy, I am 77, use a rolling walker and have adult wet macular
degeneration.

Hi Wendy,

MD runs in my wife's family. The following supplement
"seems" help:

http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-lut...loraglo-lutein

It is a mixture of zeaxanthin and lutin. She found the adding
mezozeaxanthin seems to cancel the effect. There is some research to
verify that but I can't find it to reference it.

And, she has me on it too. I have not had an eye prescription
change in over 25 years. Freaks the eye doctor out. :-)

-T
Old 27-03-2013, 12:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/25/2013 10:41 PM, wrote:
It depends on your diet. I learned that the hard way, I tried this particular cookbook called "Paleo diet" and it is working very well for my body type and it has changed my metabolism and made my lifestyle better.

http://cooklikeacaveman.com/paleo-cookbook-review/

Thank you! I am trying to do just that.