Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default anyone have a favorite ranch dressing recipe?

Hi All,

Anyone have a favorite home made ranch dressing recipe?

I saw this one:
http://www.naturallyknockedup.com/ho...essing-recipe/

Thought I'd sub garlic powder and onion powder. And, go
with sour cream (cream cheese is too hard to stir).

Any recommendations?

Target food would be crudités (mice painted red, etc.).

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/15/2013 10:33 PM, Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Anyone have a favorite home made ranch dressing recipe?
>
> I saw this one:
> http://www.naturallyknockedup.com/ho...essing-recipe/
>
> Thought I'd sub garlic powder and onion powder. And, go
> with sour cream (cream cheese is too hard to stir).
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Target food would be crudités (mice painted red, etc.).
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Try using the Fage Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream. Fat free or 2%

I made a nice dip for raw veggies by adding finely diced onion and
cucumber to Fage fat-free Greek yogurt and seasoning it with a little
Cholula sauce and a few drops of Worstershire sauce.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/16/2013 09:07 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 2/15/2013 10:33 PM, Todd wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Anyone have a favorite home made ranch dressing recipe?
>>
>> I saw this one:
>> http://www.naturallyknockedup.com/ho...essing-recipe/
>>
>> Thought I'd sub garlic powder and onion powder. And, go
>> with sour cream (cream cheese is too hard to stir).
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>>
>> Target food would be crudités (mice painted red, etc.).
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> Try using the Fage Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream. Fat free or 2%
>
> I made a nice dip for raw veggies by adding finely diced onion and
> cucumber to Fage fat-free Greek yogurt and seasoning it with a little
> Cholula sauce and a few drops of Worstershire sauce.

Hmmmm. Sounds yummie. Thank you!
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

I like the recipe which comes with the dry packs for making Hidden Valley Ranch at home using buttermilk. Chilled overnight its hard to beat. If you ever want to make some on steroids try this recipe for Big Bob Gibson's Alabammy White Sauce. There is several versions of the formula floating around in cyber space but this looks similar to the one I follow. It makes a great dipping sauce for anything. Paula Deen has a version but she calls for water. Thats nuts. Sometimes I just make it up and drink it. Dab of horseradich works well n there for them who likes that flavor. Also use Braggs Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar. That stuff is excellent. Throwed away all my high dollar balsamics when I stumbled over that one. Also its a fine digestive aid full of enzymes. After a big greasy burp inducing meal just take a sip or two of it and watch what happens. Now it aint good for teeth enamel supposedly.

Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce Recipe - Food.com - 428314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,

Anyone have a favorite home made ranch dressing recipe?

I saw this one:
Homemade Ranch Dressing {recipe} | Naturally Knocked Up

Thought I'd sub garlic powder and onion powder. And, go
with sour cream (cream cheese is too hard to stir).

Any recommendations?

Target food would be crudités (mice painted red, etc.).

Many thanks,
-T

Last edited by bigwheel : 16-02-2013 at 11:27 PM
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/16/2013 02:22 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Hidden Valley Ranch

Oh S---! "Main ingredients include: maltodextrin, ..." [1]
Do you realize what that is? That is super glucose with a
Glycemic Index (GI) of 110 [2]. 10 higher than glusose!
And since there is a labeling loophole for Maltodextrin,
it is not declared on the label as a carb or a sugar. Liar's
Glucose!

-T

1)
http://www.livestrong.com/article/37...-dressing-mix/

2)
http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide...weeteners.html

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/16/2013 07:51 PM, Todd wrote:
> "Main ingredients include: maltodextrin

And it is the first ingredient!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 02/16/2013 02:22 PM, bigwheel wrote:
>> Hidden Valley Ranch

> Oh S---! "Main ingredients include: maltodextrin, ..." [1]
> Do you realize what that is? That is super glucose with a
> Glycemic Index (GI) of 110 [2]. 10 higher than glusose!
> And since there is a labeling loophole for Maltodextrin,
> it is not declared on the label as a carb or a sugar. Liar's
> Glucose!
>

> -T
>
> 1)
> http://www.livestrong.com/article/37...-dressing-mix/
>
> 2)
> http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide...weeteners.html

I have never heard anyone call this "Liar's Glucose" but you and that's
really not a good thing to be calling it. Yes, it can raise BG in some
people but not all. And by saying this you could lead someone to believe
that it could be used for a hypo. And it shouldn't!

I hope you *do* know that the Glycemic Index is badly flawed and is not much
of a reliable thing to be used by anyone. When they made the thing they
used a few healthy young adults to come up with those numbers. And those
numbers were only for those specific foods that they tested. Add another
food to your meal or snack and the numbers are total nonsense.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/16/2013 10:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Todd" > wrote in message
>> On 02/16/2013 02:22 PM, bigwheel wrote:
>>> Hidden Valley Ranch

>> Oh S---! "Main ingredients include: maltodextrin, ..." [1]
>> Do you realize what that is? That is super glucose with a
>> Glycemic Index (GI) of 110 [2]. 10 higher than glusose!
>> And since there is a labeling loophole for Maltodextrin,
>> it is not declared on the label as a carb or a sugar. Liar's
>> Glucose!
>>

>> -T
>>
>> 1)
>> http://www.livestrong.com/article/37...-dressing-mix/
>>
>> 2)
>> http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide...weeteners.html

> I have never heard anyone call this "Liar's Glucose" but you and that's
> really not a good thing to be calling it.

I call it "Liar's Glucose" as it does not get declared on the label
as a sugar or a carb due to labeling loophole.

> Yes, it can raise BG in some people but not all.

I don't believe I am hearing this from you. Liar's Glucose is
"is a polysaccharide, made of many monosaccharide units, all
of which are glucose" [1][2]. Liar's Glucose "is easily
digestible, being absorbed as rapidly as glucose" [2].
I turn to Glucose right on your tung. So the only way a
person would not react to to Maltodextrin would be it they
also did not react to Glucose. I do believe this is called
being "dead".

And I carry on about Liar's Glucose because people can get
hold of products claiming zero carb and zero sugar and
have all kinds of blood sugar problems from it.

> And by saying this you could lead someone to believe
> that it could be used for a hypo. And it shouldn't!

What do you mean "hypo"? Low blood sugar? If so, you
can use any sugar/carb. The speed would depend on the
how fast it gets into your system. And the Glycemic
Index that you do not believe in is one of the best ways
to predict the speed.

> I hope you *do* know that the Glycemic Index is badly flawed and is not much
> of a reliable thing to be used by anyone. When they made the thing they
> used a few healthy young adults to come up with those numbers. And those
> numbers were only for those specific foods that they tested. Add another
> food to your meal or snack and the numbers are total nonsense.

Please back up what you say. If I have to reference that the ocean
is made up of water to a bunch of sailors, so do you.

-T

1) http://www.livestrong.com/article/41...-maltodextrin/

2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltodextrin

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 02/16/2013 10:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>

>>> Oh S---! "Main ingredients include: maltodextrin, ..." [1]
>>> Do you realize what that is? That is super glucose with a
>>> Glycemic Index (GI) of 110 [2]. 10 higher than glusose!
>>> And since there is a labeling loophole for Maltodextrin,
>>> it is not declared on the label as a carb or a sugar. Liar's
>>> Glucose!
>>>

>>> -T
>>>
>>> 1)
>>> http://www.livestrong.com/article/37...-dressing-mix/
>>>
>>> 2)
>>> http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide...weeteners.html

>> I have never heard anyone call this "Liar's Glucose" but you and that's
>> really not a good thing to be calling it.

> I call it "Liar's Glucose" as it does not get declared on the label
> as a sugar or a carb due to labeling loophole.
>
>> Yes, it can raise BG in some people but not all.

> I don't believe I am hearing this from you. Liar's Glucose is
> "is a polysaccharide, made of many monosaccharide units, all
> of which are glucose" [1][2]. Liar's Glucose "is easily
> digestible, being absorbed as rapidly as glucose" [2].
> I turn to Glucose right on your tung. So the only way a
> person would not react to to Maltodextrin would be it they
> also did not react to Glucose. I do believe this is called
> being "dead".

I don't know what my tung is. I known what Tung Oil is and I have used it
in refinishing. I do not eat sugar alcohols in any way, shape or form.

> And I carry on about Liar's Glucose because people can get
> hold of products claiming zero carb and zero sugar and
> have all kinds of blood sugar problems from it.
>

>> And by saying this you could lead someone to believe
>> that it could be used for a hypo. And it shouldn't!

> What do you mean "hypo"? Low blood sugar? If so, you
> can use any sugar/carb. The speed would depend on the
> how fast it gets into your system. And the Glycemic
> Index that you do not believe in is one of the best ways
> to predict the speed.

Yes, low blood sugar. And, while you *could* use any carb you would be ill
advised to do so. Fat delays the absorption of carbs. So eating chocolae
is a *bad* way to treat a hypo.

Keep in mind that I have gastroparesis. So the foods that affect *my* BG
the least are things like a potato with no skin, white bread, white rice,
etc. Provided that I don't eat too much of them. Now you can see why your
precious GI is useless to me. For a very long time I could not eat things
like whole grains because they raised my BG too much. As do lentils which
according to the GI should be a good food for diabetics. Beans are great
for me!

>> I hope you *do* know that the Glycemic Index is badly flawed and is not
>> much
>> of a reliable thing to be used by anyone. When they made the thing they
>> used a few healthy young adults to come up with those numbers. And those
>> numbers were only for those specific foods that they tested. Add another
>> food to your meal or snack and the numbers are total nonsense.

> Please back up what you say. If I have to reference that the ocean
> is made up of water to a bunch of sailors, so do you.
>
> -T
>

> 1) http://www.livestrong.com/article/41...-maltodextrin/
>
> 2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltodextrin

Sure! This is probably the best link:

http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

And this is not new news. This article dates to 2006:

http://www.azcentral.com/health/diet...1glycemic.html

This one mentions that it was derived from young, healthy subjects and it
also mentions the flaws.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/m...lycemic-index/

There are plenty of other links but I won't bother. You can look them up if
you want. This has been discussed at length here already over the years.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Ok well see thats why I give you Bob Gibson's recipe so when you started nagging about the other. lol. Can you eat mayo and vinegar? There ya go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
On 02/16/2013 02:22 PM, bigwheel wrote:
Hidden Valley Ranch

Oh S---! "Main ingredients include: maltodextrin, ..." [1]
Do you realize what that is? That is super glucose with a
Glycemic Index (GI) of 110 [2]. 10 higher than glusose!
And since there is a labeling loophole for Maltodextrin,
it is not declared on the label as a carb or a sugar. Liar's
Glucose!

-T

1)
Ingredients In Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix | LIVESTRONG.COM

2)
Glycemic Index for Sweeteners

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/17/2013 01:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Sure! This is probably the best link:
>
> http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

Love Mendosa stuff. This is a great article. Thank you!

I think we are talking at cross purpose. The GI is only meant
to tell you how something reacts on a healthy person's empty
stomach. It is a starting reference.

Now, my opinion is that it is immoral to tell someone on a
label that a product has zero sugars and zero carbohydrates
when the products contains polysaccharide make up of glucose
molecules with a GI of 110. This is why I call maltodextrin
"Liar's glucose".

I have no intention to tell people to use Liar's Glucose
as substitute for their calibrated, pharmaceutical grade
glucose pills meant for diabetics.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/17/2013 02:18 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Ok well see thats why I give you Bob Gibson's recipe so when you started
> nagging about the other. lol. Can you eat mayo and vinegar? There ya go.

I was so shocked about Liar's Glucose being the first
ingredient in the Hidden Valley Ranch that I forgot
to thank you for the White Sauce. My bad. :'[

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

The mayo I use is TJ's organic. Zero carb. So, it is on
my free list. All the calories are from fat -- yipee!
Grok [1] would approve.

Do you use this on your vegi's and mice?

Many thanks,
-T

1) http://www.marksdailyapple.com/about-2/who-is-grok/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 02/17/2013 01:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Sure! This is probably the best link:
>>
>> http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

> Love Mendosa stuff. This is a great article. Thank you!
>
> I think we are talking at cross purpose. The GI is only meant
> to tell you how something reacts on a healthy person's empty
> stomach. It is a starting reference.

Not really. For me not at all.

> Now, my opinion is that it is immoral to tell someone on a
> label that a product has zero sugars and zero carbohydrates
> when the products contains polysaccharide make up of glucose
> molecules with a GI of 110. This is why I call maltodextrin
> "Liar's glucose".

I don't car how many sugars is in a product. I don't go by sugars. And you
couldn't pay me to eat sugar alcohol. I don't think it's immmoral. I just
won't eat it.

> I have no intention to tell people to use Liar's Glucose
> as substitute for their calibrated, pharmaceutical grade
> glucose pills meant for diabetics.

I have never eaten a glucose tablet in my life and I probably wouldn't. I
use other things for treating hypos.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Well that white sauce was birthed as a marinade and table dipping sauce for grilled/smoked chicken. Bob Gibson..the guy who came up with is world famous for chicken.

Barbeue Sauce: Big Bob Gibson's Bama Birds with White BBQ Sauce Recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
On 02/17/2013 02:18 PM, bigwheel wrote:[color=blue][i]
Do you use this on your vegi's and mice?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:13:47 +0000, bigwheel wrote:

> Well that white sauce was birthed as a marinade and table dipping sauce
> for grilled/smoked chicken. Bob Gibson..the guy who came up with is
> world famous for chicken.
>
> 'Barbeue Sauce: Big Bob Gibson's Bama Birds with White BBQ Sauce Recipe'
> (http://tinyurl.com/qxspzn)

I eat at Big Bob Gibson's couple of times a year, very good BBQ of all
kinds.

basilisk

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 02/17/2013 02:18 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> > Ok well see thats why I give you Bob Gibson's recipe so when you started
> > nagging about the other. lol. Can you eat mayo and vinegar? There ya go.

> I was so shocked about Liar's Glucose being the first
> ingredient in the Hidden Valley Ranch that I forgot
> to thank you for the White Sauce. My bad. :'[
>
> 1 cup mayonnaise
> 1 cup apple cider vinegar
> 1 tablespoon lemon juice
> 1 1/2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
> 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, finely ground
> 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
>
> The mayo I use is TJ's organic. Zero carb. So, it is on
> my free list. All the calories are from fat -- yipee!
> Grok [1] would approve.
>
> Do you use this on your vegi's and mice?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T
>
> 1) http://www.marksdailyapple.com/about-2/who-is-grok/

Or use 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 Tbl. crème fraîche or sour cream, 1/2
tsp.minced capers, 2 minced cornichons, 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1
Tbl. minced parsley, 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice, and some dried tarragon,
crumbled, you'd have remoulade sauce.

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/15/2013 03:48 PM, Billy wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> On 02/17/2013 02:18 PM, bigwheel wrote:
>>> Ok well see thats why I give you Bob Gibson's recipe so when you started
>>> nagging about the other. lol. Can you eat mayo and vinegar? There ya go.

>> I was so shocked about Liar's Glucose being the first
>> ingredient in the Hidden Valley Ranch that I forgot
>> to thank you for the White Sauce. My bad. :'[
>>
>> 1 cup mayonnaise
>> 1 cup apple cider vinegar
>> 1 tablespoon lemon juice
>> 1 1/2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
>> 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, finely ground
>> 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
>>
>> The mayo I use is TJ's organic. Zero carb. So, it is on
>> my free list. All the calories are from fat -- yipee!
>> Grok [1] would approve.
>>
>> Do you use this on your vegi's and mice?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>
>> 1) http://www.marksdailyapple.com/about-2/who-is-grok/

> Or use 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 Tbl. crème fraîche or sour cream, 1/2
> tsp.minced capers, 2 minced cornichons, 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1
> Tbl. minced parsley, 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice, and some dried tarragon,
> crumbled, you'd have remoulade sauce.

Thank you!
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilisk View Post
On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:13:47 +0000, bigwheel wrote:

Well that white sauce was birthed as a marinade and table dipping sauce
for grilled/smoked chicken. Bob Gibson..the guy who came up with is
world famous for chicken.

'Barbeue Sauce: Big Bob Gibson's Bama Birds with White BBQ Sauce Recipe'
(Barbeue Sauce: Big Bob Gibson's Bama Birds with White BBQ Sauce Recipe)

I eat at Big Bob Gibson's couple of times a year, very good BBQ of all
kinds.

basilisk
Thanks for the report. Never had a chance to try it yet. Good storebught BBQ is a hard thing to find in these parts.