Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Jerusalem Artichoke Flour

I did ask this on the regular food NG but got no meaningful responses.
Anyone have experience with this? We had some good coupons at QFC and one
was for our choice of a "natural" item. Angela chose two packages of "whole
wheat" pasta but when I got it home, I realized that it also had this flour
in it.

Many years ago, we ate some Jerusalem Artichokes raw. I think Angela and my
husband only had one bite each. Not enough to give them a problem. Me? I
ate quite a few because I liked them. Until the gas began. And never again
To me they are worse than sugar alcohols. But someone told me they are less
of a problem when cooked.

Has anyone tried this flour? I'm a little leery of this pasta although it
is lower in carbs than regular whole wheat stuff.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> I did ask this on the regular food NG but got no meaningful responses.
> Anyone have experience with this? We had some good coupons at QFC and one
> was for our choice of a "natural" item. Angela chose two packages of
> "whole wheat" pasta but when I got it home, I realized that it also had
> this flour in it.
>
> Many years ago, we ate some Jerusalem Artichokes raw. I think Angela and
> my husband only had one bite each. Not enough to give them a problem.
> Me? I ate quite a few because I liked them. Until the gas began. And
> never again To me they are worse than sugar alcohols. But someone told me
> they are less of a problem when cooked.
>
> Has anyone tried this flour? I'm a little leery of this pasta although it
> is lower in carbs than regular whole wheat stuff.

Sorry, I've never come across the flour. But I'm well aware of the negative
effects of them either raw or cooked (yeah, I love the taste. Ah well)
Quoting from Wikipedia from older sources: "which way soever they be
dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind
within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented,
and are a meat more fit for swine than men."
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke>
I can't see any reason that grinding them into flour would diminish
these picturesque effects. Can you?

pavane

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> I did ask this on the regular food NG but got no meaningful responses.
>> Anyone have experience with this? We had some good coupons at QFC and
>> one was for our choice of a "natural" item. Angela chose two packages of
>> "whole wheat" pasta but when I got it home, I realized that it also had
>> this flour in it.
>>
>> Many years ago, we ate some Jerusalem Artichokes raw. I think Angela and
>> my husband only had one bite each. Not enough to give them a problem.
>> Me? I ate quite a few because I liked them. Until the gas began. And
>> never again To me they are worse than sugar alcohols. But someone told
>> me they are less of a problem when cooked.
>>
>> Has anyone tried this flour? I'm a little leery of this pasta although
>> it is lower in carbs than regular whole wheat stuff.

> Sorry, I've never come across the flour. But I'm well aware of the
> negative
> effects of them either raw or cooked (yeah, I love the taste. Ah well)
> Quoting from Wikipedia from older sources: "which way soever they be
> dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind
> within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented,
> and are a meat more fit for swine than men."
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke>
> I can't see any reason that grinding them into flour would diminish
> these picturesque effects. Can you?
>
> pavane

Sadly no. Now... Do I wish these things upon the food bank? I'm thinking,
no. Should prolly just toss the wretched things.