Old 15-02-2013, 07:50 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default My dressing recipe for your review

On 02/11/2013 08:17 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
: On 02/11/2013 01:14 PM, W. Baker wrote:

: How many grams of those carbs are fiber? Many of us find that using high
: fiber foods(that the US counts as carbs as a catch all but British folk
: don't but list them separately) acrtually reduces the effective nomer of
: carb grams in the food, so if something had 5 grams of carb listed in the
: US and uder that lists 4 grams carb, you are for most purposes gettign
: only about 2 grams of carbsin the portion. I count only the effective ,
: or starchy or sugary, non-fiber carbs in my diet and it works well fot me.
: Many food value listing books do give these number so yocan figure how
: many "turn into sugar" carbs a food actually has.
:
: Wendy
:

: Hi Wendy,

: My GP said that balancing carbs against fiber is an
: Akins thing. He said I don't get too. Have you measured
: your BG after a carb/fiber combo?

: -T

I did all this years ago already and now don't do all that much mesuring
anymore , yet seem to maintain my good numbers, A1c's etc. I found I
could eat quite a few grams of fiber with no problem at all, If the
vegetabes ate were high fiber I di dmuch better and could eat quite large
portions with no bad rises in bgs and would have 140 at 1 hour and 120
at 2 hours pp, which was my goal. When I still check occasionally pp now
I still get nice lot numbers if I have not done something stupid with or
after dinner:-) I find keepign track of the pure carb, not the fibler
works well for me. I might well eat that whole 7 oz cup of brussells
sprouts with no high readings so I do generally subtract my fiber grams
form my calculations and it works for me. 28+ years as a type 2 5.8Aic,
fbgs usually in the 80s or 90s and recently had my endo reduce my
Metformin to 5oomgs of the extended release(1 pil at dinner) from 500 at
breakfast and 500 at dinner and my 1 mg of glimperide before bed. I have
not had an A1c since the change, but after a period of adjustment my fbgs
are again in range wit fewer in the 70's whic is what ws bothering my endo
as I am almost 77 and he is worryig about hyos which I don't actually get,
but are supposed to be a problem with older people. Not sure I agree with
him, but I am goin gaaalong at this time.

Wendy

Thank you for sharing!

Old 15-02-2013, 07:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/11/2013 09:04 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 2/11/2013 7:51 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

Your GP is only partly right.
Diabetic carb counters are taught that anything with more than 5 grams
of dietary fiber PER SERVING can be subtracted from total carbs for "net
carbs" This does not work for sugar alcohols (like Atkins does) which
most Endos we've used say you can halve, but not totally deduct. Any
fiber less than 5 grams per serving cannot be subtracted for net carbs
when carb counting. Something with 25 grams of carbs and 7 grams of
dietary fiber would count as 18 grams of carbs for purposes of an
insulin bolus.

It also has to be per serving as listed on the label.

My DH is a carb counter and uses an insulin pump so he needs to
calculate carbs for meals and snacks. His A1C is always under 6.1. His
endo just told him that at his age, he needs to raise it as his control
is too a little too tight and she worries about lows.

Thank you for sharing!
Old 15-02-2013, 08:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/13/2013 01:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
On 02/12/2013 01:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
Why in the world are you relying on what a GP says about diet? They
aren't
trained in nutrition unless they specifically made the decision to take
such
a class. And anyway... It shouldn't matter what they say. What should
matter is that you are getting proper nutrition and also what your meter
says.

Hi Julie,

My GP is a force of nature. It took me three months of asking around
before I landed on him. He is like a college lectue as he quotes a
study(ies) for everything he recommends. And, yes, I do double check him.
Plus, the meter as you stated.

-T

I don't know what a college lectue is.

A "college lecture" sounds like you are in a college class
and are being bombarded by tons of extremely thought out
scientific research. The guy is a force of nature. Good
sport about a ton of questions too.

But I'd like to know what study he
quoted to tell you *not* to subtract fiber from your carb count. Because if
you live in the US, you have to do that.

I will ask him.

Going to ask him to show me how to take my pulse in my foot too.

I go into to see him in a month with my first a1c. Going to give him a
bad time about the legitimacy of the a1c -- seems
my T2 blood cells don't last a long as T0's [1], which throws the a1c
reading into chaos. Chuckle, Chuckle. As I said, he is a good sport.
Hopefully he knows the proper "fudge" factors to throw into
the a1c that compensate for the lower lifespan of T2's. As I
said, he is a good sport.

Thinking of asking him to throw a "Fructosamine" test as it does not
depend on blood cell life and is not affected by anemia [2].

-T

1) http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/4/931.full

2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructosamine

Old 15-02-2013, 10:06 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

Stuff like that never happened when I was in college!

But I'd like to know what study he
quoted to tell you *not* to subtract fiber from your carb count. Because
if
you live in the US, you have to do that.

I will ask him.

Going to ask him to show me how to take my pulse in my foot too.

Why?

I go into to see him in a month with my first a1c. Going to give him a
bad time about the legitimacy of the a1c -- seems
my T2 blood cells don't last a long as T0's [1], which throws the a1c
reading into chaos. Chuckle, Chuckle. As I said, he is a good sport.
Hopefully he knows the proper "fudge" factors to throw into
the a1c that compensate for the lower lifespan of T2's. As I
said, he is a good sport.

What does that mean? If you have certain blood disorders, your A1c will be
meaningless and you should have a frutosamine test done instead.

Thinking of asking him to throw a "Fructosamine" test as it does not
depend on blood cell life and is not affected by anemia [2].

Yes. That should be done instead.

Old 15-02-2013, 11:40 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/15/2013 02:06 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
I don't know what a college lectue is.

A "college lecture" sounds like you are in a college class
and are being bombarded by tons of extremely thought out
scientific research. The guy is a force of nature. Good
sport about a ton of questions too.

Stuff like that never happened when I was in college!

Most were insufferable, pompous blow hards, but on occasion
I really scored. Loved those classes

Going to ask him to show me how to take my pulse in my foot too.

Why?

It is an indication of the state of your circulation in your
feet. As in, if its poor, better seek help before something
falls off. A good solid pulse is what I am looking for, not
the pulse rate.

I go into to see him in a month with my first a1c. Going to give him a
bad time about the legitimacy of the a1c -- seems
my T2 blood cells don't last a long as T0's [1], which throws the a1c
reading into chaos. Chuckle, Chuckle. As I said, he is a good sport.
Hopefully he knows the proper "fudge" factors to throw into
the a1c that compensate for the lower lifespan of T2's. As I
said, he is a good sport.

What does that mean?

That means if a1c is based on the average lifespan of a healthy
person's (T0) red blood cells (~120 days) and a T2's blood cells
don't live as long (~84 days), some adjustments need to be
made to the reading.

If you have certain blood disorders,

Such as T2

your A1c will be
meaningless and you should have a frutosamine test done instead.

Thinking of asking him to throw a "Fructosamine" test as it does not
depend on blood cell life and is not affected by anemia [2].

Yes. That should be done instead.

Agreed. It will validate any adjustments to the A1C. It is
cheaper at my local lab than a1c too ($28 vs $36).

-T

Old 16-02-2013, 04:49 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

I always hated school.

Old 16-02-2013, 10:09 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/15/2013 08:49 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
I always hated school.

You and me both! If I saw a trash truck go by on the road outside,
I would have rather have been on the trash truck than in school.
I literally shook the first day I stepped foot and college campus.

I feel your pain! Sanctimonious, pompous, blow hards, yada, yada ...

-T
Old 17-02-2013, 04:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 02/15/2013 08:49 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
I always hated school.

You and me both! If I saw a trash truck go by on the road outside,
I would have rather have been on the trash truck than in school.
I literally shook the first day I stepped foot and college campus.

I feel your pain! Sanctimonious, pompous, blow hards, yada, yada ...

That was not my experience at all. I just found it to be boring.

Old 18-02-2013, 01:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/16/2013 08:53 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
On 02/15/2013 08:49 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
I always hated school.

You and me both! If I saw a trash truck go by on the road outside,
I would have rather have been on the trash truck than in school.
I literally shook the first day I stepped foot and college campus.

I feel your pain! Sanctimonious, pompous, blow hards, yada, yada ...

That was not my experience at all. I just found it to be boring.

Some of them could put a chair to sleep.

Old 22-02-2013, 03:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/14/2013 04:57 PM, bigwheel wrote:
Well tell that nice Lady to help herself. Sure it aint original. As a
wise old King say one time..There aint nothing new under the
Sun..(Paraphasing). I prob just swiped it off of somebody else..lol. Now
the bad part comes when they admit they are the Warden..and that we need
a Warden. That was a heart breaking revelation. Also tell her in these
parts the pile of rabbit food in question is called a Veggie Platter..I
think lol. We also dont allow fruit cups.

Hi BigWheel,

You should have heard that grown woman giggle her ass off.

Speaking of "heart breaking revelation[s]", wait till you
figure out that the Arm Candy really is right 90% of the
time. Its one of those things husbands just have to get
use to. Course, round these parts, on the rare occasion
that I am actually right, its strutting time. When she
is right, its "so what else is new". Old stuff.

-T