Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default My dressing recipe for your review

Hi All,

I have six bunches of organic radishes ready for
dipping.

I also have a tub of TJ's crumpled Gorgonzola
cheese and a tub (pint?) of TJ's organic sour cream.
Combine and stir like hell. (Hard for me to burn,
overcook, or otherwise screw up.)

How would you alter this recipe for the better?

Many thanks,
-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have six bunches of organic radishes ready for
> dipping.
>
> I also have a tub of TJ's crumpled Gorgonzola
> cheese and a tub (pint?) of TJ's organic sour cream.
> Combine and stir like hell. (Hard for me to burn,
> overcook, or otherwise screw up.)
>
> How would you alter this recipe for the better?
>
> Many thanks,

Radishes and gorgonzola sounds real good. Garlic, a little hot papper, some
basil and paprika, a touch of salt and some Marsala (both in the dip and
for YOU!) couldn't hurt, eh?

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Hmmm...first I ever heard of somebody sitting down to eat radiches. When we have some its usually reserved for nibbling on sparingly along with the pinto beans. Dont recall ever purposely dipping them into anything let alone into the combo of stuff mentioned. That may be some of regional delicacy you got going on there? Which geography is it? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,

I have six bunches of organic radishes ready for
dipping.

I also have a tub of TJ's crumpled Gorgonzola
cheese and a tub (pint?) of TJ's organic sour cream.
Combine and stir like hell. (Hard for me to burn,
overcook, or otherwise screw up.)

How would you alter this recipe for the better?

Many thanks,
-T

Last edited by bigwheel : 10-02-2013 at 09:20 PM
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> Todd;1812159 Wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have six bunches of organic radishes ready for
>> dipping.
>>
>> I also have a tub of TJ's crumpled Gorgonzola
>> cheese and a tub (pint?) of TJ's organic sour cream.
>> Combine and stir like hell. (Hard for me to burn,
>> overcook, or otherwise screw up.)
>>
>> How would you alter this recipe for the better?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

On 02/10/2013 12:17 PM, bigwheel wrote:> Hmmm...first I ever
> heard of somebody sitting down to eat radiches. When
> we have some its usually reserved for nibbling on sparingly along with
> the pinto beans. Dont recall ever purposely dipping them into anything
> let alone into the combo of stuff mentioned. That may be some of
> regional delicacy you got going on there? Which geography is it? Thanks.

Hi Big,

cru·di·tés (krd-t) [1]
pl.n. Cut raw vegetables, such as carrot sticks and
pepper strips, served often with a dip as an appetizer.

My wife makes me up a plate of nibbles when I am working
in the office. Radishes are a hit. Sometimes she slices
up a cucumber. Occasionally some green olives. etc..
Have no idea where we got the practice from.

I remember my father used to love to munch on the hottest
radishes he could find. I thought he was nuts at the time.

-T

1) http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Crudite
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/10/2013 03:17 PM, Todd wrote:

>> Todd;1812159 Wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have six bunches of organic radishes ready for
>>> dipping.
>>>
>>> I also have a tub of TJ's crumpled Gorgonzola
>>> cheese and a tub (pint?) of TJ's organic sour cream.
>>> Combine and stir like hell. (Hard for me to burn,
>>> overcook, or otherwise screw up.)
>>>
>>> How would you alter this recipe for the better?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T

> On 02/10/2013 12:17 PM, bigwheel wrote:> Hmmm...first I ever
>> heard of somebody sitting down to eat radiches. When
>> we have some its usually reserved for nibbling on sparingly along with
>> the pinto beans. Dont recall ever purposely dipping them into anything
>> let alone into the combo of stuff mentioned. That may be some of
>> regional delicacy you got going on there? Which geography is it? Thanks.

> Hi Big,
>
> cru·di·tés (krd-t) [1]
> pl.n. Cut raw vegetables, such as carrot sticks and
> pepper strips, served often with a dip as an appetizer.
>
> My wife makes me up a plate of nibbles when I am working
> in the office. Radishes are a hit. Sometimes she slices
> up a cucumber. Occasionally some green olives. etc..
> Have no idea where we got the practice from.
>
> I remember my father used to love to munch on the hottest
> radishes he could find. I thought he was nuts at the time.
>
> -T
>
> 1) http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Crudite

Great substitute for pop corn when watching a video with the wife!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/10/2013 12:24 AM, Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have six bunches of organic radishes ready for
> dipping.
>
> I also have a tub of TJ's crumpled Gorgonzola
> cheese and a tub (pint?) of TJ's organic sour cream.
> Combine and stir like hell. (Hard for me to burn,
> overcook, or otherwise screw up.)
>
> How would you alter this recipe for the better?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

I would use Fage brand fat-free Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
Less carbs. Less fat and more protein. It tastes exactly like good
quality sour cream.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/10/2013 03:18 PM, Todd wrote:

>> On 02/10/2013 12:17 PM, bigwheel wrote:> Hmmm...first I ever
>>> heard of somebody sitting down to eat radiches. When
>>> we have some its usually reserved for nibbling on sparingly along with
>>> the pinto beans. Dont recall ever purposely dipping them into anything
>>> let alone into the combo of stuff mentioned. That may be some of
>>> regional delicacy you got going on there? Which geography is it? Thanks.

>> Hi Big,
>>
>> cru·di·tés (krd-t) [1]
>> pl.n. Cut raw vegetables, such as carrot sticks and
>> pepper strips, served often with a dip as an appetizer.
>>
>> My wife makes me up a plate of nibbles when I am working
>> in the office. Radishes are a hit. Sometimes she slices
>> up a cucumber. Occasionally some green olives. etc..
>> Have no idea where we got the practice from.
>>
>> I remember my father used to love to munch on the hottest
>> radishes he could find. I thought he was nuts at the time.
>>
>> -T
>>
>> 1) http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Crudite

> Great substitute for pop corn when watching a video with the wife!

Here is an idea for cru·di·tés that no one may have thought of:
when coring cauliflower, save the more tender leaves. Supposedly
you can cook the leaves, but they taste really weird cooked.
But are tangy and spicy raw. And, no farts/cramps like you get
from eating raw cauliflower/broccoli.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/10/2013 04:46 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 2/10/2013 12:24 AM, Todd wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have six bunches of organic radishes ready for
>> dipping.
>>
>> I also have a tub of TJ's crumpled Gorgonzola
>> cheese and a tub (pint?) of TJ's organic sour cream.
>> Combine and stir like hell. (Hard for me to burn,
>> overcook, or otherwise screw up.)
>>
>> How would you alter this recipe for the better?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>

> I would use Fage brand fat-free Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Less
> carbs. Less fat and more protein. It tastes exactly like good quality
> sour cream.

Hi Janet,

Thank you for the carb heads up. The sour cream is 1 gram / Tablespoon.
So I need to keep it down to around 8 tablespoons (4 sour cream + 4
Gorgonzola) per sitting.

I love Greek yogart. The full fat stuff is too many carbs. The
0% fat, well, has no fat. Since I am now a hunter/gather and no
longer ingest much carb, I get cold, tired, and dump slight amounts
ketones -- meaning am dieting by accident. So I add butter to
the 0% fat stuff.

TJ's has a similar yogurt to the one you speak of. I will consider
it next time (adding butter).

My wife does a thing with about six blueberries and butter. Heats
them in the microwave till they meld. Then stirs them into the 0%
Greek yogurt. Adds stevia (Now Foods). Very treaty.

Thank you so much!
-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/10/2013 10:33 AM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have six bunches of organic radishes ready for
>> dipping.
>>
>> I also have a tub of TJ's crumpled Gorgonzola
>> cheese and a tub (pint?) of TJ's organic sour cream.
>> Combine and stir like hell. (Hard for me to burn,
>> overcook, or otherwise screw up.)
>>
>> How would you alter this recipe for the better?
>>
>> Many thanks,

> Radishes and gorgonzola sounds real good. Garlic, a little hot papper, some
> basil and paprika, a touch of salt and some Marsala (both in the dip and
> for YOU!) couldn't hurt, eh?

Hi Nick,

I just made a test run of garlic powder, cayenne, basil, paprika. OH MY
IT IS GOOD! I am about to make up the whole batch.

Thank you!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message

> I love Greek yogart. The full fat stuff is too many carbs. The
> 0% fat, well, has no fat. Since I am now a hunter/gather and no
> longer ingest much carb, I get cold, tired, and dump slight amounts
> ketones -- meaning am dieting by accident. So I add butter to
> the 0% fat stuff.

If you are talking of Fage, the whole milk yogurt has 8g
carbohydrates; the 2% also has 8g, and the non-fat has
7g. Not a difference worth mention, is it?
<http://www.fageusa.com/nutrition/nutrition-benefits/>

pavane

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/10/2013 08:30 PM, pavane wrote:

> "Todd" > wrote in message

>> I love Greek yogart. The full fat stuff is too many carbs. The
>> 0% fat, well, has no fat. Since I am now a hunter/gather and no
>> longer ingest much carb, I get cold, tired, and dump slight amounts
>> ketones -- meaning am dieting by accident. So I add butter to
>> the 0% fat stuff.

> If you are talking of Fage, the whole milk yogurt has 8g
> carbohydrates; the 2% also has 8g, and the non-fat has
> 7g. Not a difference worth mention, is it?
> <http://www.fageusa.com/nutrition/nutrition-benefits/>
>
> pavane

Hi Pavane,

I was looking at TJ's labels.

Are you speaking of

http://www.fageusa.com/products/fage-total-classic/

Which is 9 grams per 5.3 oz or .6625 of a cup.
Or 13.6 grams per cup.

This would definitely be "limited". Would have
to be the entire meal.

This is probably why on the link you gave, the
"Total Classic" is not recommended for diabetics.

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 02/10/2013 08:30 PM, pavane wrote:
>>

>> "Todd" > wrote in message

>>> I love Greek yogart. The full fat stuff is too many carbs. The
>>> 0% fat, well, has no fat. Since I am now a hunter/gather and no
>>> longer ingest much carb, I get cold, tired, and dump slight amounts
>>> ketones -- meaning am dieting by accident. So I add butter to
>>> the 0% fat stuff.

>> If you are talking of Fage, the whole milk yogurt has 8g
>> carbohydrates; the 2% also has 8g, and the non-fat has
>> 7g. Not a difference worth mention, is it?
>> <http://www.fageusa.com/nutrition/nutrition-benefits/>
>>
>> pavane

> Hi Pavane,
>
> I was looking at TJ's labels.
>
> Are you speaking of
>
> http://www.fageusa.com/products/fage-total-classic/
>
> Which is 9 grams per 5.3 oz or .6625 of a cup.
> Or 13.6 grams per cup.

Their website that you referenced:

Serving Size: 1 Container 7oz (200g)
Servings per Container 1 Calories 190
Calories from fat 90
Total fat 10g
% DV Total fat 15%
Saturated fat 7g
% DV Saturated fat 35%
Trans fat 0g
Cholesterol 25mg
% DV Cholesterol 8%
Sodium 70mg
% DV Sodium 3%
Total carbohydrates 8g
Sure looks like 8g per 7oz(200g) container.
To what do you refer?

pavane

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/11/2013 09:24 AM, pavane wrote:

> "Todd" > wrote in message

>>> If you are talking of Fage, the whole milk yogurt has 8g
>>> carbohydrates; the 2% also has 8g, and the non-fat has
>>> 7g. Not a difference worth mention, is it?
>>> <http://www.fageusa.com/nutrition/nutrition-benefits/>
>>>
>>> pavane

>> Hi Pavane,
>>
>> I was looking at TJ's labels.
>>
>> Are you speaking of
>>
>> http://www.fageusa.com/products/fage-total-classic/
>>
>> Which is 9 grams per 5.3 oz or .6625 of a cup.
>> Or 13.6 grams per cup.

> Their website that you referenced:
>
> Serving Size: 1 Container 7oz (200g)
> Servings per Container 1 Calories 190
> Calories from fat 90
> Total fat 10g
> % DV Total fat 15%
> Saturated fat 7g
> % DV Saturated fat 35%
> Trans fat 0g
> Cholesterol 25mg
> % DV Cholesterol 8%
> Sodium 70mg
> % DV Sodium 3%
> Total carbohydrates 8g
> Sure looks like 8g per 7oz(200g) container.
> To what do you refer?
>
> pavane

Interesting. The first time I went to it this morning, I
got the one with honey in it. Last night I got 5.3 oz
per container. This time I get 7 oz and 8 carbs like
you did. I wonder if they are having problems with their
site? Forget everything I said.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Ok gotcha on the crudites. Thanks. We eat those all time just never thought of trying it with a radich. We go for raw broccoli..green onyawns etc. Raw yellow squash is my single favorite. Could certainly see where a radich could fit into that crowd. Now my Daddy had me convinced those things were baby mice..which he held by their tails and dunked into red paint to make them red..then he would drag them out of the paint and bite of their heads to make the white part. Sounded plausible to me for quite a while. We dunk all that rabbit food in good old Ranch Dressing nowadays. I am fixing to instruct the Warden to add some radiches to her shopping list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post

cru·di·tés (krd-t) [1]
pl.n. Cut raw vegetables, such as carrot sticks and
pepper strips, served often with a dip as an appetizer.

My wife makes me up a plate of nibbles when I am working
in the office. Radishes are a hit. Sometimes she slices
up a cucumber. Occasionally some green olives. etc..
Have no idea where we got the practice from.

I remember my father used to love to munch on the hottest
radishes he could find. I thought he was nuts at the time.

-T

1) Crudite - definition of Crudite by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 02/11/2013 09:24 AM, pavane wrote:
: >
: >
: > "Todd" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >> On 02/10/2013 08:30 PM, pavane wrote:
: >>>
: >>>
: >>> "Todd" > wrote in message
: >>> ...
: >>>
: >>>> ...................
: >>>> I love Greek yogart. The full fat stuff is too many carbs. The
: >>>> 0% fat, well, has no fat. Since I am now a hunter/gather and no
: >>>> longer ingest much carb, I get cold, tired, and dump slight amounts
: >>>> ketones -- meaning am dieting by accident. So I add butter to
: >>>> the 0% fat stuff.
: >>>> ...................
: >>>
: >>> If you are talking of Fage, the whole milk yogurt has 8g
: >>> carbohydrates; the 2% also has 8g, and the non-fat has
: >>> 7g. Not a difference worth mention, is it?
: >>> <http://www.fageusa.com/nutrition/nutrition-benefits/>
: >>>
: >>> pavane
: >>
: >> Hi Pavane,
: >>
: >> I was looking at TJ's labels.
: >>
: >> Are you speaking of
: >>
: >> http://www.fageusa.com/products/fage-total-classic/
: >>
: >> Which is 9 grams per 5.3 oz or .6625 of a cup.
: >> Or 13.6 grams per cup.
: >
: > Their website that you referenced:
: >
: > Serving Size: 1 Container 7oz (200g)
: > Servings per Container 1 Calories 190
: > Calories from fat 90
: > Total fat 10g
: > % DV Total fat 15%
: > Saturated fat 7g
: > % DV Saturated fat 35%
: > Trans fat 0g
: > Cholesterol 25mg
: > % DV Cholesterol 8%
: > Sodium 70mg
: > % DV Sodium 3%
: > Total carbohydrates 8g
: > ........
: > Sure looks like 8g per 7oz(200g) container.
: > To what do you refer?
: >
: > pavane

: Interesting. The first time I went to it this morning, I
: got the one with honey in it. Last night I got 5.3 oz
: per container. This time I get 7 oz and 8 carbs like
: you did. I wonder if they are having problems with their
: site? Forget everything I said.
How many grams of those carbs are fiber? Many of us find that using high
fiber foods(that the US counts as carbs as a catch all but British folk
don't but list them separately) acrtually reduces the effective nomer of
carb grams in the food, so if something had 5 grams of carb listed in the
US and uder that lists 4 grams carb, you are for most purposes gettign
only about 2 grams of carbsin the portion. I count only the effective ,
or starchy or sugary, non-fiber carbs in my diet and it works well fot me.
Many food value listing books do give these number so yocan figure how
many "turn into sugar" carbs a food actually has.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> : got the one with honey in it. Last night I got 5.3 oz
> : per container. This time I get 7 oz and 8 carbs like
> : you did. I wonder if they are having problems with their
> : site? Forget everything I said.
> How many grams of those carbs are fiber? Many of us find that using high
> fiber foods(that the US counts as carbs as a catch all but British folk
> don't but list them separately) acrtually reduces the effective nomer of
> carb grams in the food, so if something had 5 grams of carb listed in the
> US and uder that lists 4 grams carb, you are for most purposes gettign
> only about 2 grams of carbsin the portion. I count only the effective ,
> or starchy or sugary, non-fiber carbs in my diet and it works well fot me.
> Many food value listing books do give these number so yocan figure how
> many "turn into sugar" carbs a food actually has.

Dietary fiber = 0.

pavane

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/11/2013 10:59 AM, bigwheel wrote:
> Ok gotcha on the crudites. Thanks. We eat those all time just never
> thought of trying it with a radich. We go for raw broccoli..green
> onyawns etc. Raw yellow squash is my single favorite. Could certainly
> see where a radich could fit into that crowd. Now my Daddy had me
> convinced those things were baby mice..which he held by their tails and
> dunked into red paint to make them red..then he would drag them out of
> the paint and bite of their heads to make the white part. Sounded
> plausible to me for quite a while. We dunk all that rabbit food in good
> old Ranch Dressing nowadays. I am fixing to instruct the Warden to add
> some radiches to her shopping list.

:-)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/11/2013 01:14 PM, W. Baker wrote:

> How many grams of those carbs are fiber? Many of us find that using high
> fiber foods(that the US counts as carbs as a catch all but British folk
> don't but list them separately) acrtually reduces the effective nomer of
> carb grams in the food, so if something had 5 grams of carb listed in the
> US and uder that lists 4 grams carb, you are for most purposes gettign
> only about 2 grams of carbsin the portion. I count only the effective ,
> or starchy or sugary, non-fiber carbs in my diet and it works well fot me.
> Many food value listing books do give these number so yocan figure how
> many "turn into sugar" carbs a food actually has.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

My GP said that balancing carbs against fiber is an
Akins thing. He said I don't get too. Have you measured
your BG after a carb/fiber combo?

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/11/2013 10:59 AM, bigwheel wrote:
> I am fixing to instruct the Warden to add
> some radiches to her shopping list.

Hi BigWheel,

After my wife stopped laughing, not an inconsiderable
amount of time, she ask me to ask you if she could
barrow the title "The Warden", or is it universally accepted?

:-)

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

pavane > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Todd > wrote:
: > : On 02/11/2013 09:24 AM, pavane wrote:
: > : >
: > : >
: > : > "Todd" > wrote in message
: > : > ...
: > : >> On 02/10/2013 08:30 PM, pavane wrote:
: > : >>>
: > : >>>
: > : >>> "Todd" > wrote in message
: > : >>> ...
: > : >>>
: > : >>>> ...................
: > : >>>> I love Greek yogart. The full fat stuff is too many carbs. The
: > : >>>> 0% fat, well, has no fat. Since I am now a hunter/gather and no
: > : >>>> longer ingest much carb, I get cold, tired, and dump slight amounts
: > : >>>> ketones -- meaning am dieting by accident. So I add butter to
: > : >>>> the 0% fat stuff.
: > : >>>> ...................
: > : >>>
: > : >>> If you are talking of Fage, the whole milk yogurt has 8g
: > : >>> carbohydrates; the 2% also has 8g, and the non-fat has
: > : >>> 7g. Not a difference worth mention, is it?
: > : >>> <http://www.fageusa.com/nutrition/nutrition-benefits/>
: > : >>>
: > : >>> pavane
: > : >>
: > : >> Hi Pavane,
: > : >>
: > : >> I was looking at TJ's labels.
: > : >>
: > : >> Are you speaking of
: > : >>
: > : >> http://www.fageusa.com/products/fage-total-classic/
: > : >>
: > : >> Which is 9 grams per 5.3 oz or .6625 of a cup.
: > : >> Or 13.6 grams per cup.
: > : >
: > : > Their website that you referenced:
: > : >
: > : > Serving Size: 1 Container 7oz (200g)
: > : > Servings per Container 1 Calories 190
: > : > Calories from fat 90
: > : > Total fat 10g
: > : > % DV Total fat 15%
: > : > Saturated fat 7g
: > : > % DV Saturated fat 35%
: > : > Trans fat 0g
: > : > Cholesterol 25mg
: > : > % DV Cholesterol 8%
: > : > Sodium 70mg
: > : > % DV Sodium 3%
: > : > Total carbohydrates 8g
: > : > ........
[...]

I was talking about the brussells sprouts which do contain considerable
fiber, not the yogurt:-) Somehow my message got into the wrong place in
the queue I was responding to all the discussion on how big were the cups
of sprouts, etc. Of course, the yogurt is ifberless. Not a plant:-)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
[...]

I did all this years ago already and now don't do all that much mesuring
anymore , yet seem to maintain my good numbers, A1c's etc. I found I
could eat quite a few grams of fiber with no problem at all, If the
vegetabes ate were high fiber I di dmuch better and could eat quite large
portions with no bad rises in bgs and would have <140 at 1 hour and <120
at 2 hours pp, which was my goal. When I still check occasionally pp now
I still get nice lot numbers if I have not done something stupid with or
after dinner:-) I find keepign track of the pure carb, not the fibler
works well for me. I might well eat that whole 7 oz cup of brussells
sprouts with no high readings so I do generally subtract my fiber grams
form my calculations and it works for me. 28+ years as a type 2 5.8Aic,
fbgs usually in the 80s or 90s and recently had my endo reduce my
Metformin to 5oomgs of the extended release(1 pil at dinner) from 500 at
breakfast and 500 at dinner and my 1 mg of glimperide before bed. I have
not had an A1c since the change, but after a period of adjustment my fbgs
are again in range wit fewer in the 70's whic is what ws bothering my endo
as I am almost 77 and he is worryig about hyos which I don't actually get,
but are supposed to be a problem with older people. Not sure I agree with
him, but I am goin gaaalong at this time.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/10/2013 7:09 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 02/10/2013 04:46 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 2/10/2013 12:24 AM, Todd wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have six bunches of organic radishes ready for
>>> dipping.
>>>
>>> I also have a tub of TJ's crumpled Gorgonzola
>>> cheese and a tub (pint?) of TJ's organic sour cream.
>>> Combine and stir like hell. (Hard for me to burn,
>>> overcook, or otherwise screw up.)
>>>
>>> How would you alter this recipe for the better?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>>>

>> I would use Fage brand fat-free Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Less
>> carbs. Less fat and more protein. It tastes exactly like good quality
>> sour cream.
>>

> Hi Janet,
>
> Thank you for the carb heads up. The sour cream is 1 gram / Tablespoon.
> So I need to keep it down to around 8 tablespoons (4 sour cream + 4
> Gorgonzola) per sitting.
>
> I love Greek yogart. The full fat stuff is too many carbs. The
> 0% fat, well, has no fat. Since I am now a hunter/gather and no
> longer ingest much carb, I get cold, tired, and dump slight amounts
> ketones -- meaning am dieting by accident. So I add butter to
> the 0% fat stuff.
>
> TJ's has a similar yogurt to the one you speak of. I will consider
> it next time (adding butter).
>
> My wife does a thing with about six blueberries and butter. Heats
> them in the microwave till they meld. Then stirs them into the 0%
> Greek yogurt. Adds stevia (Now Foods). Very treaty.
>
> Thank you so much!
> -T

Todd,

Fage also makes a 2% fat Greek yogurt. You might like that.

I love blueberries in my Greek yogurt, too. I also like a cubed half of
a small mango.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/11/2013 7:51 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 02/11/2013 01:14 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>
>> How many grams of those carbs are fiber? Many of us find that using high
>> fiber foods(that the US counts as carbs as a catch all but British folk
>> don't but list them separately) acrtually reduces the effective nomer of
>> carb grams in the food, so if something had 5 grams of carb listed in the
>> US and uder that lists 4 grams carb, you are for most purposes gettign
>> only about 2 grams of carbsin the portion. I count only the effective ,
>> or starchy or sugary, non-fiber carbs in my diet and it works well fot
>> me.
>> Many food value listing books do give these number so yocan figure how
>> many "turn into sugar" carbs a food actually has.
>>
>> Wendy
>>

> Hi Wendy,
>
> My GP said that balancing carbs against fiber is an
> Akins thing. He said I don't get too. Have you measured
> your BG after a carb/fiber combo?
>
> -T

Your GP is only partly right.
Diabetic carb counters are taught that anything with more than 5 grams
of dietary fiber PER SERVING can be subtracted from total carbs for "net
carbs" This does not work for sugar alcohols (like Atkins does) which
most Endos we've used say you can halve, but not totally deduct. Any
fiber less than 5 grams per serving cannot be subtracted for net carbs
when carb counting. Something with 25 grams of carbs and 7 grams of
dietary fiber would count as 18 grams of carbs for purposes of an
insulin bolus.

It also has to be per serving as listed on the label.

My DH is a carb counter and uses an insulin pump so he needs to
calculate carbs for meals and snacks. His A1C is always under 6.1. His
endo just told him that at his age, he needs to raise it as his control
is too a little too tight and she worries about lows.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/11/2013 08:07 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> : Dietary fiber = 0.
>
> : pavane
> : >
>
> I was talking about the brussells sprouts which do contain considerable
> fiber, not the yogurt:-) Somehow my message got into the wrong place in
> the queue I was responding to all the discussion on how big were the cups
> of sprouts, etc. Of course, the yogurt is ifberless. Not a plant:-)
>
> Wendy

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2821/2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/11/2013 08:53 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 2/10/2013 7:09 PM, Todd wrote:

>>> I would use Fage brand fat-free Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Less
>>> carbs. Less fat and more protein. It tastes exactly like good quality
>>> sour cream.
>>>

>> Hi Janet,
>>
>> Thank you for the carb heads up. The sour cream is 1 gram / Tablespoon.
>> So I need to keep it down to around 8 tablespoons (4 sour cream + 4
>> Gorgonzola) per sitting.
>>
>> I love Greek yogart. The full fat stuff is too many carbs. The
>> 0% fat, well, has no fat. Since I am now a hunter/gather and no
>> longer ingest much carb, I get cold, tired, and dump slight amounts
>> ketones -- meaning am dieting by accident. So I add butter to
>> the 0% fat stuff.
>>
>> TJ's has a similar yogurt to the one you speak of. I will consider
>> it next time (adding butter).
>>
>> My wife does a thing with about six blueberries and butter. Heats
>> them in the microwave till they meld. Then stirs them into the 0%
>> Greek yogurt. Adds stevia (Now Foods). Very treaty.
>>
>> Thank you so much!
>> -T

> Todd,
>
> Fage also makes a 2% fat Greek yogurt. You might like that.
>
> I love blueberries in my Greek yogurt, too. I also like a cubed half of
> a small mango.

Thank you!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> Hi Wendy,
>
> My GP said that balancing carbs against fiber is an
> Akins thing. He said I don't get too. Have you measured
> your BG after a carb/fiber combo?
>
> -T

Why in the world are you relying on what a GP says about diet? They aren't
trained in nutrition unless they specifically made the decision to take such
a class. And anyway... It shouldn't matter what they say. What should
matter is that you are getting proper nutrition and also what your meter
says.

Fiber can lower blood sugar or at least shouldn't affect it. There is the
school of thought that adding fiber to your diet could help lower BG. I
don't need to add any because my normal diet is very high in it. Granted if
my stomach is acting up, there is not much fiber. But on most days, there
is plenty.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: On 2/11/2013 7:51 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Way-the-heck-south Texas
: Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Jaanet,
I just got the same from my endo who reduced my Met by half and may try to
tinker with my glimperide at the next visit . He worries about my 5.8 Aic
and the occasionaly 70's reading for fbg because of my age. I am not
thrilled by this as i have spent the last 18 years of my life working so
haed to achieve control. I would love to see an intellegent discussion
about this topid ,, perhaps on MHD rather than asd because ofthe terrible
topic changing that has been going on.

I am not on insulin and have not had a nyo in many, many years.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/12/2013 01:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Why in the world are you relying on what a GP says about diet? They aren't
> trained in nutrition unless they specifically made the decision to take such
> a class. And anyway... It shouldn't matter what they say. What should
> matter is that you are getting proper nutrition and also what your meter
> says.

Hi Julie,

My GP is a force of nature. It took me three months of asking around
before I landed on him. He is like a college lectue as he quotes a
study(ies) for everything he recommends. And, yes, I do double check
him. Plus, the meter as you stated.

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 02/12/2013 01:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Why in the world are you relying on what a GP says about diet? They
>> aren't
>> trained in nutrition unless they specifically made the decision to take
>> such
>> a class. And anyway... It shouldn't matter what they say. What should
>> matter is that you are getting proper nutrition and also what your meter
>> says.

> Hi Julie,
>
> My GP is a force of nature. It took me three months of asking around
> before I landed on him. He is like a college lectue as he quotes a
> study(ies) for everything he recommends. And, yes, I do double check him.
> Plus, the meter as you stated.
>
> -T

I don't know what a college lectue is. But I'd like to know what study he
quoted to tell you *not* to subtract fiber from your carb count. Because if
you live in the US, you have to do that.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Well tell that nice Lady to help herself. Sure it aint original. As a wise old King say one time..There aint nothing new under the Sun..(Paraphasing). I prob just swiped it off of somebody else..lol. Now the bad part comes when they admit they are the Warden..and that we need a Warden. That was a heart breaking revelation. Also tell her in these parts the pile of rabbit food in question is called a Veggie Platter..I think lol. We also dont allow fruit cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
On 02/11/2013 10:59 AM, bigwheel wrote:
I am fixing to instruct the Warden to add
some radiches to her shopping list.

Hi BigWheel,

After my wife stopped laughing, not an inconsiderable
amount of time, she ask me to ask you if she could
barrow the title "The Warden", or is it universally accepted?

:-)

-T

Last edited by bigwheel : 15-02-2013 at 02:02 AM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/11/2013 08:17 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 02/11/2013 01:14 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>
> : > How many grams of those carbs are fiber? Many of us find that using high
> : > fiber foods(that the US counts as carbs as a catch all but British folk
> : > don't but list them separately) acrtually reduces the effective nomer of
> : > carb grams in the food, so if something had 5 grams of carb listed in the
> : > US and uder that lists 4 grams carb, you are for most purposes gettign
> : > only about 2 grams of carbsin the portion. I count only the effective ,
> : > or starchy or sugary, non-fiber carbs in my diet and it works well fot me.
> : > Many food value listing books do give these number so yocan figure how
> : > many "turn into sugar" carbs a food actually has.
> : >
> : > Wendy
> : >
>
> : Hi Wendy,
>
> : My GP said that balancing carbs against fiber is an
> : Akins thing. He said I don't get too. Have you measured
> : your BG after a carb/fiber combo?
>
> : -T
>
> I did all this years ago already and now don't do all that much mesuring
> anymore , yet seem to maintain my good numbers, A1c's etc. I found I
> could eat quite a few grams of fiber with no problem at all, If the
> vegetabes ate were high fiber I di dmuch better and could eat quite large
> portions with no bad rises in bgs and would have <140 at 1 hour and <120
> at 2 hours pp, which was my goal. When I still check occasionally pp now
> I still get nice lot numbers if I have not done something stupid with or
> after dinner:-) I find keepign track of the pure carb, not the fibler
> works well for me. I might well eat that whole 7 oz cup of brussells
> sprouts with no high readings so I do generally subtract my fiber grams
> form my calculations and it works for me. 28+ years as a type 2 5.8Aic,
> fbgs usually in the 80s or 90s and recently had my endo reduce my
> Metformin to 5oomgs of the extended release(1 pil at dinner) from 500 at
> breakfast and 500 at dinner and my 1 mg of glimperide before bed. I have
> not had an A1c since the change, but after a period of adjustment my fbgs
> are again in range wit fewer in the 70's whic is what ws bothering my endo
> as I am almost 77 and he is worryig about hyos which I don't actually get,
> but are supposed to be a problem with older people. Not sure I agree with
> him, but I am goin gaaalong at this time.
>
> Wendy

Thank you for sharing!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/11/2013 09:04 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 2/11/2013 7:51 PM, Todd wrote:
>> On 02/11/2013 01:14 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>>
>>> How many grams of those carbs are fiber? Many of us find that using
>>> high
>>> fiber foods(that the US counts as carbs as a catch all but British folk
>>> don't but list them separately) acrtually reduces the effective nomer of
>>> carb grams in the food, so if something had 5 grams of carb listed in
>>> the
>>> US and uder that lists 4 grams carb, you are for most purposes gettign
>>> only about 2 grams of carbsin the portion. I count only the effective ,
>>> or starchy or sugary, non-fiber carbs in my diet and it works well fot
>>> me.
>>> Many food value listing books do give these number so yocan figure how
>>> many "turn into sugar" carbs a food actually has.
>>>
>>> Wendy
>>>

>> Hi Wendy,
>>
>> My GP said that balancing carbs against fiber is an
>> Akins thing. He said I don't get too. Have you measured
>> your BG after a carb/fiber combo?
>>
>> -T

> Your GP is only partly right.
> Diabetic carb counters are taught that anything with more than 5 grams
> of dietary fiber PER SERVING can be subtracted from total carbs for "net
> carbs" This does not work for sugar alcohols (like Atkins does) which
> most Endos we've used say you can halve, but not totally deduct. Any
> fiber less than 5 grams per serving cannot be subtracted for net carbs
> when carb counting. Something with 25 grams of carbs and 7 grams of
> dietary fiber would count as 18 grams of carbs for purposes of an
> insulin bolus.
>
> It also has to be per serving as listed on the label.
>
> My DH is a carb counter and uses an insulin pump so he needs to
> calculate carbs for meals and snacks. His A1C is always under 6.1. His
> endo just told him that at his age, he needs to raise it as his control
> is too a little too tight and she worries about lows.

Thank you for sharing!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/13/2013 01:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Todd" > wrote in message
>> On 02/12/2013 01:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Why in the world are you relying on what a GP says about diet? They
>>> aren't
>>> trained in nutrition unless they specifically made the decision to take
>>> such
>>> a class. And anyway... It shouldn't matter what they say. What should
>>> matter is that you are getting proper nutrition and also what your meter
>>> says.

>> Hi Julie,
>>
>> My GP is a force of nature. It took me three months of asking around
>> before I landed on him. He is like a college lectue as he quotes a
>> study(ies) for everything he recommends. And, yes, I do double check him.
>> Plus, the meter as you stated.
>>
>> -T

> I don't know what a college lectue is.

A "college lecture" sounds like you are in a college class
and are being bombarded by tons of extremely thought out
scientific research. The guy is a force of nature. Good
sport about a ton of questions too.

> But I'd like to know what study he
> quoted to tell you *not* to subtract fiber from your carb count. Because if
> you live in the US, you have to do that.

I will ask him.

Going to ask him to show me how to take my pulse in my foot too.

I go into to see him in a month with my first a1c. Going to give him a
bad time about the legitimacy of the a1c -- seems
my T2 blood cells don't last a long as T0's [1], which throws the a1c
reading into chaos. Chuckle, Chuckle. As I said, he is a good sport.
Hopefully he knows the proper "fudge" factors to throw into
the a1c that compensate for the lower lifespan of T2's. As I
said, he is a good sport.

Thinking of asking him to throw a "Fructosamine" test as it does not
depend on blood cell life and is not affected by anemia [2].

-T

1) http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/4/931.full

2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructosamine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 02/13/2013 01:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Julie,
>>>
>>> My GP is a force of nature. It took me three months of asking
>>> around
>>> before I landed on him. He is like a college lectue as he quotes a
>>> study(ies) for everything he recommends. And, yes, I do double check
>>> him.
>>> Plus, the meter as you stated.
>>>
>>> -T

>> I don't know what a college lectue is.

> A "college lecture" sounds like you are in a college class
> and are being bombarded by tons of extremely thought out
> scientific research. The guy is a force of nature. Good
> sport about a ton of questions too.

Stuff like that never happened when I was in college!

>> But I'd like to know what study he
>> quoted to tell you *not* to subtract fiber from your carb count. Because
>> if
>> you live in the US, you have to do that.

> I will ask him.
>
> Going to ask him to show me how to take my pulse in my foot too.

Why?

> I go into to see him in a month with my first a1c. Going to give him a
> bad time about the legitimacy of the a1c -- seems
> my T2 blood cells don't last a long as T0's [1], which throws the a1c
> reading into chaos. Chuckle, Chuckle. As I said, he is a good sport.
> Hopefully he knows the proper "fudge" factors to throw into
> the a1c that compensate for the lower lifespan of T2's. As I
> said, he is a good sport.

What does that mean? If you have certain blood disorders, your A1c will be
meaningless and you should have a frutosamine test done instead.

> Thinking of asking him to throw a "Fructosamine" test as it does not
> depend on blood cell life and is not affected by anemia [2].

Yes. That should be done instead.

> -T
>
> 1) http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/4/931.full
>
> 2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructosamine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/15/2013 02:06 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I don't know what a college lectue is.
>> >
>> >A "college lecture" sounds like you are in a college class
>> >and are being bombarded by tons of extremely thought out
>> >scientific research. The guy is a force of nature. Good
>> >sport about a ton of questions too.

> Stuff like that never happened when I was in college!

Most were insufferable, pompous blow hards, but on occasion
I really scored. Loved those classes

>> >Going to ask him to show me how to take my pulse in my foot too.

> Why?

It is an indication of the state of your circulation in your
feet. As in, if its poor, better seek help before something
falls off. A good solid pulse is what I am looking for, not
the pulse rate.

>> >I go into to see him in a month with my first a1c. Going to give him a
>> >bad time about the legitimacy of the a1c -- seems
>> >my T2 blood cells don't last a long as T0's [1], which throws the a1c
>> >reading into chaos. Chuckle, Chuckle. As I said, he is a good sport.
>> >Hopefully he knows the proper "fudge" factors to throw into
>> >the a1c that compensate for the lower lifespan of T2's. As I
>> >said, he is a good sport.

> What does that mean?

That means if a1c is based on the average lifespan of a healthy
person's (T0) red blood cells (~120 days) and a T2's blood cells
don't live as long (~84 days), some adjustments need to be
made to the reading.

> If you have certain blood disorders,

Such as T2

>your A1c will be
> meaningless and you should have a frutosamine test done instead.
>> >
>> >Thinking of asking him to throw a "Fructosamine" test as it does not
>> >depend on blood cell life and is not affected by anemia [2].

> Yes. That should be done instead.

Agreed. It will validate any adjustments to the A1C. It is
cheaper at my local lab than a1c too ($28 vs $36).

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message

>> Stuff like that never happened when I was in college!

> Most were insufferable, pompous blow hards, but on occasion
> I really scored. Loved those classes

>> Why?

> It is an indication of the state of your circulation in your
> feet. As in, if its poor, better seek help before something
> falls off. A good solid pulse is what I am looking for, not
> the pulse rate.

>> What does that mean?

> That means if a1c is based on the average lifespan of a healthy
> person's (T0) red blood cells (~120 days) and a T2's blood cells
> don't live as long (~84 days), some adjustments need to be
> made to the reading.
>
>> If you have certain blood disorders,

> Such as T2
>
>>your A1c will be
>> meaningless and you should have a frutosamine test done instead.

>> Yes. That should be done instead.

> Agreed. It will validate any adjustments to the A1C. It is
> cheaper at my local lab than a1c too ($28 vs $36).
>
> -T

I always hated school.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/15/2013 08:49 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I always hated school.

You and me both! If I saw a trash truck go by on the road outside,
I would have rather have been on the trash truck than in school.
I literally shook the first day I stepped foot and college campus.

I feel your pain! Sanctimonious, pompous, blow hards, yada, yada ...

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 02/15/2013 08:49 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I always hated school.

> You and me both! If I saw a trash truck go by on the road outside,
> I would have rather have been on the trash truck than in school.
> I literally shook the first day I stepped foot and college campus.
>
> I feel your pain! Sanctimonious, pompous, blow hards, yada, yada ...

That was not my experience at all. I just found it to be boring.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/16/2013 08:53 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Todd" > wrote in message
>> On 02/15/2013 08:49 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I always hated school.

>> You and me both! If I saw a trash truck go by on the road outside,
>> I would have rather have been on the trash truck than in school.
>> I literally shook the first day I stepped foot and college campus.
>>
>> I feel your pain! Sanctimonious, pompous, blow hards, yada, yada ...

> That was not my experience at all. I just found it to be boring.

Some of them could put a chair to sleep.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/14/2013 04:57 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Well tell that nice Lady to help herself. Sure it aint original. As a
> wise old King say one time..There aint nothing new under the
> Sun..(Paraphasing). I prob just swiped it off of somebody else..lol. Now
> the bad part comes when they admit they are the Warden..and that we need
> a Warden. That was a heart breaking revelation. Also tell her in these
> parts the pile of rabbit food in question is called a Veggie Platter..I
> think lol. We also dont allow fruit cups.

Hi BigWheel,

You should have heard that grown woman giggle her ass off.

Speaking of "heart breaking revelation[s]", wait till you
figure out that the Arm Candy really is right 90% of the
time. Its one of those things husbands just have to get
use to. Course, round these parts, on the rare occasion
that I am actually right, its strutting time. When she
is right, its "so what else is new". Old stuff.

-T