Old 11-02-2013, 10:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default My dressing recipe for your review

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Todd wrote:
: On 02/11/2013 09:24 AM, pavane wrote:
:
:
: "Todd" wrote in message
: ...
: On 02/10/2013 08:30 PM, pavane wrote:
:
:
: "Todd" wrote in message
: ...
:
: ...................
: I love Greek yogart. The full fat stuff is too many carbs. The
: 0% fat, well, has no fat. Since I am now a hunter/gather and no
: longer ingest much carb, I get cold, tired, and dump slight amounts
: ketones -- meaning am dieting by accident. So I add butter to
: the 0% fat stuff.
: ...................
:
: If you are talking of Fage, the whole milk yogurt has 8g
: carbohydrates; the 2% also has 8g, and the non-fat has
: 7g. Not a difference worth mention, is it?
: http://www.fageusa.com/nutrition/nutrition-benefits/
:
: pavane
:
: Hi Pavane,
:
: I was looking at TJ's labels.
:
: Are you speaking of
:
: http://www.fageusa.com/products/fage-total-classic/
:
: Which is 9 grams per 5.3 oz or .6625 of a cup.
: Or 13.6 grams per cup.
:
: Their website that you referenced:
:
: Serving Size: 1 Container 7oz (200g)
: Servings per Container 1 Calories 190
: Calories from fat 90
: Total fat 10g
: % DV Total fat 15%
: Saturated fat 7g
: % DV Saturated fat 35%
: Trans fat 0g
: Cholesterol 25mg
: % DV Cholesterol 8%
: Sodium 70mg
: % DV Sodium 3%
: Total carbohydrates 8g
: ........
: Sure looks like 8g per 7oz(200g) container.
: To what do you refer?
:
: pavane

: Interesting. The first time I went to it this morning, I
: got the one with honey in it. Last night I got 5.3 oz
: per container. This time I get 7 oz and 8 carbs like
: you did. I wonder if they are having problems with their
: site? Forget everything I said.
How many grams of those carbs are fiber? Many of us find that using high
fiber foods(that the US counts as carbs as a catch all but British folk
don't but list them separately) acrtually reduces the effective nomer of
carb grams in the food, so if something had 5 grams of carb listed in the
US and uder that lists 4 grams carb, you are for most purposes gettign
only about 2 grams of carbsin the portion. I count only the effective ,
or starchy or sugary, non-fiber carbs in my diet and it works well fot me.
Many food value listing books do give these number so yocan figure how
many "turn into sugar" carbs a food actually has.

Wendy

Dietary fiber = 0.

pavane

Old 12-02-2013, 01:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/11/2013 10:59 AM, bigwheel wrote:
Ok gotcha on the crudites. Thanks. We eat those all time just never
thought of trying it with a radich. We go for raw broccoli..green
onyawns etc. Raw yellow squash is my single favorite. Could certainly
see where a radich could fit into that crowd. Now my Daddy had me
convinced those things were baby mice..which he held by their tails and
dunked into red paint to make them red..then he would drag them out of
the paint and bite of their heads to make the white part. Sounded
plausible to me for quite a while. We dunk all that rabbit food in good
old Ranch Dressing nowadays. I am fixing to instruct the Warden to add
some radiches to her shopping list.

:-)
Old 12-02-2013, 01:51 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/11/2013 01:14 PM, W. Baker wrote:

How many grams of those carbs are fiber? Many of us find that using high
fiber foods(that the US counts as carbs as a catch all but British folk
don't but list them separately) acrtually reduces the effective nomer of
carb grams in the food, so if something had 5 grams of carb listed in the
US and uder that lists 4 grams carb, you are for most purposes gettign
only about 2 grams of carbsin the portion. I count only the effective ,
or starchy or sugary, non-fiber carbs in my diet and it works well fot me.
Many food value listing books do give these number so yocan figure how
many "turn into sugar" carbs a food actually has.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

My GP said that balancing carbs against fiber is an
Akins thing. He said I don't get too. Have you measured
your BG after a carb/fiber combo?

-T
Old 12-02-2013, 02:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/11/2013 10:59 AM, bigwheel wrote:
I am fixing to instruct the Warden to add
some radiches to her shopping list.

Hi BigWheel,

After my wife stopped laughing, not an inconsiderable
amount of time, she ask me to ask you if she could
barrow the title "The Warden", or is it universally accepted?

:-)

-T
Old 12-02-2013, 04:07 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

pavane wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Todd wrote:
: : On 02/11/2013 09:24 AM, pavane wrote:
: :
: :
: : "Todd" wrote in message
: : ...
: : On 02/10/2013 08:30 PM, pavane wrote:
: :
: :
: : "Todd" wrote in message
: : ...
: :
: : ...................
[...]
: : ........
[...]

I was talking about the brussells sprouts which do contain considerable
fiber, not the yogurt:-) Somehow my message got into the wrong place in
the queue I was responding to all the discussion on how big were the cups
of sprouts, etc. Of course, the yogurt is ifberless. Not a plant:-)

Wendy

Old 12-02-2013, 04:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
[...]

I did all this years ago already and now don't do all that much mesuring
anymore , yet seem to maintain my good numbers, A1c's etc. I found I
could eat quite a few grams of fiber with no problem at all, If the
vegetabes ate were high fiber I di dmuch better and could eat quite large
portions with no bad rises in bgs and would have 140 at 1 hour and 120
at 2 hours pp, which was my goal. When I still check occasionally pp now
I still get nice lot numbers if I have not done something stupid with or
after dinner:-) I find keepign track of the pure carb, not the fibler
works well for me. I might well eat that whole 7 oz cup of brussells
sprouts with no high readings so I do generally subtract my fiber grams
form my calculations and it works for me. 28+ years as a type 2 5.8Aic,
fbgs usually in the 80s or 90s and recently had my endo reduce my
Metformin to 5oomgs of the extended release(1 pil at dinner) from 500 at
breakfast and 500 at dinner and my 1 mg of glimperide before bed. I have
not had an A1c since the change, but after a period of adjustment my fbgs
are again in range wit fewer in the 70's whic is what ws bothering my endo
as I am almost 77 and he is worryig about hyos which I don't actually get,
but are supposed to be a problem with older people. Not sure I agree with
him, but I am goin gaaalong at this time.

Wendy
Old 12-02-2013, 04:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/10/2013 7:09 PM, Todd wrote:
On 02/10/2013 04:46 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 2/10/2013 12:24 AM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I have six bunches of organic radishes ready for
dipping.

I also have a tub of TJ's crumpled Gorgonzola
cheese and a tub (pint?) of TJ's organic sour cream.
Combine and stir like hell. (Hard for me to burn,
overcook, or otherwise screw up.)

How would you alter this recipe for the better?

Many thanks,
-T

I would use Fage brand fat-free Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Less
carbs. Less fat and more protein. It tastes exactly like good quality
sour cream.

Hi Janet,

Thank you for the carb heads up. The sour cream is 1 gram / Tablespoon.
So I need to keep it down to around 8 tablespoons (4 sour cream + 4
Gorgonzola) per sitting.

I love Greek yogart. The full fat stuff is too many carbs. The
0% fat, well, has no fat. Since I am now a hunter/gather and no
longer ingest much carb, I get cold, tired, and dump slight amounts
ketones -- meaning am dieting by accident. So I add butter to
the 0% fat stuff.

TJ's has a similar yogurt to the one you speak of. I will consider
it next time (adding butter).

My wife does a thing with about six blueberries and butter. Heats
them in the microwave till they meld. Then stirs them into the 0%
Greek yogurt. Adds stevia (Now Foods). Very treaty.

Thank you so much!
-T

Todd,

Fage also makes a 2% fat Greek yogurt. You might like that.

I love blueberries in my Greek yogurt, too. I also like a cubed half of
a small mango.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old 12-02-2013, 05:04 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/11/2013 7:51 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

Your GP is only partly right.
Diabetic carb counters are taught that anything with more than 5 grams
of dietary fiber PER SERVING can be subtracted from total carbs for "net
carbs" This does not work for sugar alcohols (like Atkins does) which
most Endos we've used say you can halve, but not totally deduct. Any
fiber less than 5 grams per serving cannot be subtracted for net carbs
when carb counting. Something with 25 grams of carbs and 7 grams of
dietary fiber would count as 18 grams of carbs for purposes of an
insulin bolus.

It also has to be per serving as listed on the label.

My DH is a carb counter and uses an insulin pump so he needs to
calculate carbs for meals and snacks. His A1C is always under 6.1. His
endo just told him that at his age, he needs to raise it as his control
is too a little too tight and she worries about lows.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:19 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/11/2013 08:07 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: Dietary fiber = 0.

: pavane
:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2821/2

Old 12-02-2013, 09:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
Hi Wendy,

My GP said that balancing carbs against fiber is an
Akins thing. He said I don't get too. Have you measured
your BG after a carb/fiber combo?

-T

Why in the world are you relying on what a GP says about diet? They aren't
trained in nutrition unless they specifically made the decision to take such
a class. And anyway... It shouldn't matter what they say. What should
matter is that you are getting proper nutrition and also what your meter
says.

Fiber can lower blood sugar or at least shouldn't affect it. There is the
school of thought that adding fiber to your diet could help lower BG. I
don't need to add any because my normal diet is very high in it. Granted if
my stomach is acting up, there is not much fiber. But on most days, there
is plenty.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:
: On 2/11/2013 7:51 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Way-the-heck-south Texas
: Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Jaanet,
I just got the same from my endo who reduced my Met by half and may try to
tinker with my glimperide at the next visit . He worries about my 5.8 Aic
and the occasionaly 70's reading for fbg because of my age. I am not
thrilled by this as i have spent the last 18 years of my life working so
haed to achieve control. I would love to see an intellegent discussion
about this topid ,, perhaps on MHD rather than asd because ofthe terrible
topic changing that has been going on.

I am not on insulin and have not had a nyo in many, many years.

Wendy
Old 13-02-2013, 05:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/12/2013 01:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
Why in the world are you relying on what a GP says about diet? They aren't
trained in nutrition unless they specifically made the decision to take such
a class. And anyway... It shouldn't matter what they say. What should
matter is that you are getting proper nutrition and also what your meter
says.

Hi Julie,

My GP is a force of nature. It took me three months of asking around
before I landed on him. He is like a college lectue as he quotes a
study(ies) for everything he recommends. And, yes, I do double check
him. Plus, the meter as you stated.

-T
Old 13-02-2013, 09:31 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 02/12/2013 01:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
Why in the world are you relying on what a GP says about diet? They
aren't
trained in nutrition unless they specifically made the decision to take
such
a class. And anyway... It shouldn't matter what they say. What should
matter is that you are getting proper nutrition and also what your meter
says.

Hi Julie,

My GP is a force of nature. It took me three months of asking around
before I landed on him. He is like a college lectue as he quotes a
study(ies) for everything he recommends. And, yes, I do double check him.
Plus, the meter as you stated.

-T

I don't know what a college lectue is. But I'd like to know what study he
quoted to tell you *not* to subtract fiber from your carb count. Because if
you live in the US, you have to do that.

Old 15-02-2013, 12:57 AM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Well tell that nice Lady to help herself. Sure it aint original. As a wise old King say one time..There aint nothing new under the Sun..(Paraphasing). I prob just swiped it off of somebody else..lol. Now the bad part comes when they admit they are the Warden..and that we need a Warden. That was a heart breaking revelation. Also tell her in these parts the pile of rabbit food in question is called a Veggie Platter..I think lol. We also dont allow fruit cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
On 02/11/2013 10:59 AM, bigwheel wrote:
I am fixing to instruct the Warden to add
some radiches to her shopping list.

Hi BigWheel,

After my wife stopped laughing, not an inconsiderable
amount of time, she ask me to ask you if she could
barrow the title "The Warden", or is it universally accepted?

:-)

-T

Last edited by bigwheel : 15-02-2013 at 01:02 AM