Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Chili?

Hi All,

I mean real chili, not the stuff with beans in it (can't
eat beans anyway).

Raley's had a three pound natural rump roast on sale
for $3.99/lb. So, I had the butcher grind it up. The
idea is to make chili.

So, I have 3 lb ground beef. Powdered and fresh onion
and garlic. Powdered Chili: Cayenne, Ancho, Chimayo
(new Mexico Red), Paprika.

And a saute pan.

What next? How would you guys make up a pot of chili?

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I mean real chili, not the stuff with beans in it (can't
> eat beans anyway).
>
> Raley's had a three pound natural rump roast on sale
> for $3.99/lb. So, I had the butcher grind it up. The
> idea is to make chili.
>
> So, I have 3 lb ground beef. Powdered and fresh onion
> and garlic. Powdered Chili: Cayenne, Ancho, Chimayo
> (new Mexico Red), Paprika.
>
> And a saute pan.
>
> What next? How would you guys make up a pot of chili?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

You wouldn't like mine then. My preferred chili is three cans of beans
(different kinds), a can of corn, a jar of salsa and from there I doctor it
with whatever I have. Usually lots of chopped onions and peppers, fresh
tomatoes if I have those, ciltantro, chili powder, maybe jalapenos if I have
those. I used to serve this over rice. I don't have the rice now. I do
have rice. But for me, it's usually either rice or beans but not both.
Exception would be when I make Spanish rice and put some beans in it to use
it up. But some would say that I can't call what I make Spanish rice
because I put so many vegetables in it to lower the carb count.

I may be the atypical diabetic. But eating low carb simply does not work
for me. If I don't eat enough carbs, my BG will shoot up over 300 and this
was true even when I was on no meds or insulin. But for me, it's a fine
line. Must eat some carbs but not too many. On the flip side, I can at
times just as easily go hypo. So I have to be really careful. But beans
never spike me, provided I don't eat too many of them.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] View Post
Todd wrote:
[...]

I think we can use cinnamon powder and fenugreek seeds to this recipe. Both these ingredients will help to control blood sugar level and will make the dish more yummy..
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

[quote=Todd;1808553]Hi All,

I mean real chili, not the stuff with beans in it (can't
eat beans anyway).
What next? How would you guys make up a pot of chili?[quote]

Form your ground beef into meat balls weighing about 1/3 lb each and brown in a little oil. Break up the meat as it browns. This will give nice hunks of meat instead of birdshot. Drain the grease and follow the recipe below. Forget about the efforts to thicken the stuff up. Reduce it to the consistency you want by cracking the lid. Add the broth only enough to cover the meat. Do not rely on the measurements given.

<quote> Chili

Dago Reds Wop 'n Good Chili
World Champion 2004

Source: Kathy Hipskind
Submitted By: ICS | International Chili Society
Ingredients:
See Instructions Below
Instructions:
Brown 4 lbs cubed tri-tip with 3 tsp salt and 1� tsp white pepper. Place in stock pot and simmer on low heat for 3 hrs.

Add:
2 Cans Chicken Broth
1 Can Hunt's Tomato Sauce
1 Small Can Spicey V-8 Juice
1 tbs Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tbs Chili Powder (Gebhardt�s)

@ 1 � hrs Add:
2 tbs chili powder (Gebhardt�s)
5 tsp cumin
� tsp msg
1 tbs tabasco sauce

@ 2 hrs Add:
1 tsp New Mexico hot chili powder
1 � tsp tabasco sauce
� tsp red jalapeno powder
1 tbs chili powder (Gebhardt�s)
Salt to taste

@ 2 � hrs Add:
5 tsp arrowroot (mix with water to form paste)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp brown sugar
� tsp red jalapeno powder
� tsp cumin
Salt to taste
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/29/2013 10:37 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I mean real chili, not the stuff with beans in it (can't
>> eat beans anyway).
>>
>> Raley's had a three pound natural rump roast on sale
>> for $3.99/lb. So, I had the butcher grind it up. The
>> idea is to make chili.
>>
>> So, I have 3 lb ground beef. Powdered and fresh onion
>> and garlic. Powdered Chili: Cayenne, Ancho, Chimayo
>> (new Mexico Red), Paprika.
>>
>> And a saute pan.
>>
>> What next? How would you guys make up a pot of chili?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> You wouldn't like mine then. My preferred chili is three cans of beans
> (different kinds), a can of corn, a jar of salsa and from there I doctor it
> with whatever I have. Usually lots of chopped onions and peppers, fresh
> tomatoes if I have those, ciltantro, chili powder, maybe jalapenos if I have
> those. I used to serve this over rice. I don't have the rice now. I do
> have rice. But for me, it's usually either rice or beans but not both.
> Exception would be when I make Spanish rice and put some beans in it to use
> it up. But some would say that I can't call what I make Spanish rice
> because I put so many vegetables in it to lower the carb count.
>
> I may be the atypical diabetic. But eating low carb simply does not work
> for me. If I don't eat enough carbs, my BG will shoot up over 300 and this
> was true even when I was on no meds or insulin. But for me, it's a fine
> line. Must eat some carbs but not too many. On the flip side, I can at
> times just as easily go hypo. So I have to be really careful. But beans
> never spike me, provided I don't eat too many of them.

I'd loose a foot or two to beans, corn and rice. Yikes. I guess we
all have our own personalized T2.

Thank you for sharing!

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/30/2013 07:15 AM, Susan wrote:
> Real chili has beans in it, depending where you're from.

That is one of those fun subject where no one is right
or wrong:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_chili_have_beans
http://masdixpod.tripod.com/masdixpod/whyno.htm

Where are the archives?

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/30/2013 06:39 AM, bigwheel wrote:

> Todd;1808553 Wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I mean real chili, not the stuff with beans in it (can't
>> eat beans anyway).
>> What next? How would you guys make up a pot of chili?> > >
>>>
>>> Form your ground beef into meat balls weighing about 1/3 lb each and
>>> brown in a little oil. Break up the meat as it browns. This will give
>>> nice hunks of meat instead of birdshot. Drain the grease and follow the
>>> recipe below. Forget about the efforts to thicken the stuff up. Reduce
>>> it to the consistency you want by cracking the lid. Add the broth only
>>> enough to cover the meat. Do not rely on the measurements given.
>>>
>>> <quote> Chili
>>>
>>> Dago Reds Wop 'n Good Chili
>>> World Champion 2004
>>>
>>> Source: Kathy Hipskind
>>> Submitted By: 'ICS | International Chili Society'
>>> (http://www.chilicookoff.com)
>>> Ingredients:
>>> See Instructions Below
>>> Instructions:
>>> Brown 4 lbs cubed tri-tip with 3 tsp salt and 1� tsp white
>>> pepper. Place in stock pot and simmer on low heat for 3 hrs.
>>>
>>> Add:
>>> 2 Cans Chicken Broth
>>> 1 Can Hunt's Tomato Sauce
>>> 1 Small Can Spicey V-8 Juice
>>> 1 tbs Onion Powder
>>> 2 tsp Garlic Powder
>>> 2 tbs Chili Powder (Gebhardt�s)
>>>
>>> @ 1 � hrs Add:
>>> 2 tbs chili powder (Gebhardt�s)
>>> 5 tsp cumin
>>> � tsp msg
>>> 1 tbs tabasco sauce
>>>
>>> @ 2 hrs Add:
>>> 1 tsp New Mexico hot chili powder
>>> 1 � tsp tabasco sauce
>>> � tsp red jalapeno powder
>>> 1 tbs chili powder (Gebhardt�s)
>>> Salt to taste
>>>
>>> @ 2 � hrs Add:
>>> 5 tsp arrowroot (mix with water to form paste)
>>> 1 tsp garlic powder
>>> 1 tsp brown sugar
>>> � tsp red jalapeno powder
>>> � tsp cumin
>>> Salt to taste

Hmmm. Interesting. Thank you!

I am thinking of chopping up some tomatoes and
throwing them into the pan to create a sauce
and to simulate the tomato sauce and V8 above.
(V8, is that even edible? Seems to me it
is a mixture of carrot juice and medical waste.)

Maybe an onion too.

And basically, lots of chili peppers!

I will probably get a shot at it this
weekend.

I am loving eating like a cave man!

Thank you for sharing.
-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/29/2013 10:37 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I may be the atypical diabetic. But eating low carb simply does not work
> for me. If I don't eat enough carbs, my BG will shoot up over 300 and this
> was true even when I was on no meds or insulin. But for me, it's a fine
> line. Must eat some carbs but not too many. On the flip side, I can at
> times just as easily go hypo. So I have to be really careful. But beans
> never spike me, provided I don't eat too many of them.

Julie,

By chance, are you not eating enough fat? If I don't
get enough fat, I get really cold (shiver a lot) and
I start to hyperventilate. (GB normal, but I start to
spill a moderate amount of ketones.)

We are not designed to burn carbs as fuel. Only
small temporary spurts. Our preferred fuel is fat.
Here is a great article on the subject:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-met...dy-metabolism/

(Grok is my hero.)

Hyperventilating is what sent me to the ER, where I got
diagnosed with T2.

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/30/2013 06:58 PM, Todd wrote:
> Our preferred fuel is fat.

My butchers at Raley's cuts up tri tip sirloin
roasts into steaks for me. I tell them not to
cut off the extra fat. I can get the naturals
on sale for $5.99/lb. Cheap (natural) steaks.
(They then become what is called a Bottom Sirloin
Steak. Very tender too.)

The butchers always grin when I tell them NOT to
cut off the extra fat. We have a "bond".

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 01/29/2013 10:37 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Todd wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I mean real chili, not the stuff with beans in it (can't
>>> eat beans anyway).
>>>
>>> Raley's had a three pound natural rump roast on sale
>>> for $3.99/lb. So, I had the butcher grind it up. The
>>> idea is to make chili.
>>>
>>> So, I have 3 lb ground beef. Powdered and fresh onion
>>> and garlic. Powdered Chili: Cayenne, Ancho, Chimayo
>>> (new Mexico Red), Paprika.
>>>
>>> And a saute pan.
>>>
>>> What next? How would you guys make up a pot of chili?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T

>> You wouldn't like mine then. My preferred chili is three cans of beans
>> (different kinds), a can of corn, a jar of salsa and from there I doctor
>> it
>> with whatever I have. Usually lots of chopped onions and peppers, fresh
>> tomatoes if I have those, ciltantro, chili powder, maybe jalapenos if I
>> have
>> those. I used to serve this over rice. I don't have the rice now. I do
>> have rice. But for me, it's usually either rice or beans but not both.
>> Exception would be when I make Spanish rice and put some beans in it to
>> use
>> it up. But some would say that I can't call what I make Spanish rice
>> because I put so many vegetables in it to lower the carb count.
>>
>> I may be the atypical diabetic. But eating low carb simply does not work
>> for me. If I don't eat enough carbs, my BG will shoot up over 300 and
>> this
>> was true even when I was on no meds or insulin. But for me, it's a fine
>> line. Must eat some carbs but not too many. On the flip side, I can at
>> times just as easily go hypo. So I have to be really careful. But beans
>> never spike me, provided I don't eat too many of them.

> I'd loose a foot or two to beans, corn and rice. Yikes. I guess we
> all have our own personalized T2.
>
> Thank you for sharing!

Why in the world do you think you would lose a foot?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 01/29/2013 10:37 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I may be the atypical diabetic. But eating low carb simply does not work
>> for me. If I don't eat enough carbs, my BG will shoot up over 300 and
>> this
>> was true even when I was on no meds or insulin. But for me, it's a fine
>> line. Must eat some carbs but not too many. On the flip side, I can at
>> times just as easily go hypo. So I have to be really careful. But beans
>> never spike me, provided I don't eat too many of them.

> Julie,
>
> By chance, are you not eating enough fat? If I don't
> get enough fat, I get really cold (shiver a lot) and
> I start to hyperventilate. (GB normal, but I start to
> spill a moderate amount of ketones.)

I eat very little fat. The foods I would naturally eat have little to no
fat. Those would be beans, beans, beans, more beans and other veggies.
Sadly I can't eat most of the veggies. Due to gastroparesis, fat can make
me very ill. I do try to eat a little of it. I know that the body needs
it. But if I eat too much, the food just comes back up.

I did do almost the Ornish diet for several years. It was vegetarian. I
did have a little dairy and egg whites. I ate in the cafeteria at work and
I did have mashed potatoes for lunch there. So I know there was milk and
most likely margarine in there. And I ate a Slimfast meal replacement bar
as snacks. It would take me a day or two to finish a bar. I only allowed
myself one tiny bite at a time. I did lose weight on that diet. No cold or
shivering or hyperventilating at all. In fact I seem to do quite well on a
diet that is so low in fat but most of the dieticians I've seen have told me
that I need to add fat back into my diet. So I force myself to eat it.
Mainly olive oil, coconut oil, margarine, olives, nuts, seeds and peanut
butter. I can no longer eat eggs or dairy in any form.

> We are not designed to burn carbs as fuel. Only
> small temporary spurts. Our preferred fuel is fat.
> Here is a great article on the subject:

I just don't believe that.

> http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-met...dy-metabolism/
>
> (Grok is my hero.)

Well, I don't know what that guy's credentials are, but I'm still not buying
it. I was almost vegan for some years and still do eat a mostly vegan diet.
I can't say that I was ever a true vegan because I eat non vegan sugar and
carry a leather purse. But I eat very little in the way of animal products.

> Hyperventilating is what sent me to the ER, where I got
> diagnosed with T2.

Neuropathy is what sent me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/30/2013 08:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I'd loose a foot or two to beans, corn and rice. Yikes. I guess we
>> >all have our own personalized T2.
>> >
>> >Thank you for sharing!

> Why in the world do you think you would lose a foot?

Hi Julie,

Diabetic neuropathy.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dia...opathy/DS01045

One of the pastors in a local church I work at is a T2. Lost
both his feet. He is a very precious man.

My feet tingle/sting as it is. I have been hitting the
benfotiamine, which is helping. Also the lower BG is
helping too.

This is where my joking remark about being an extra in
a Zombie movie comes from. Save the makeup artist
a lot of time.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/31/2013 07:49 AM, Susan wrote:
> Save yourself and don't go there.

Oh ya. I do tend to run on. Thank you
for your tolerance.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 01/30/2013 08:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I'd loose a foot or two to beans, corn and rice. Yikes. I guess we

>> Why in the world do you think you would lose a foot?

> Hi Julie,
>
> Diabetic neuropathy.
> http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dia...opathy/DS01045

I know what neuropathy is. I have it. Doesn't mean that you'll lose your
feet.

> One of the pastors in a local church I work at is a T2. Lost
> both his feet. He is a very precious man.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that.

> My feet tingle/sting as it is. I have been hitting the
> benfotiamine, which is helping. Also the lower BG is
> helping too.

I take Evening Primrose Oil and Alpha Lipoeic Acid.

> This is where my joking remark about being an extra in
> a Zombie movie comes from. Save the makeup artist
> a lot of time.

I don't really get that. Don't watch Zombie movies.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/31/2013 02:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> >This is where my joking remark about being an extra in
>> >a Zombie movie comes from. Save the makeup artist
>> >a lot of time.

> I don't really get that. Don't watch Zombie movies.

Hi Julie,

Gallows humor. I am just being silly. It stinks
having to explaining your jokes. But you get use to
it after a while.

I will eat like a cave man, rather than risk loosing
body parts, a heart attack, and going blind. Besides,
I am having too much fun at it.

You are kind of between a rock and a hard place
with your stomach problems. That really sucks.
Please forgive me if I am being "insensitive"
talking about thinks you can't eat.

-T

Speaking of cave man, he had to chase his food,
meaning I need to exercise more. I hate exercise.
Drove a stationary bike once. Thought I'd
died and gone to hell.

But I do *love* to (fly) fish, which is truly
the best exercise ever created. Uh oh. Poor
trout. This mean no more Catch and Release!
(Perhaps. Need a good trout recipe first.)

Is chewing considered exercise? (You do really
get use to having to explain your jokes.)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/30/2013 08:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Well, I don't know what that guy's credentials are, but I'm still not buying
> it. I was almost vegan for some years and still do eat a mostly vegan diet.
> I can't say that I was ever a true vegan because I eat non vegan sugar and
> carry a leather purse. But I eat very little in the way of animal products.

In my religion, we do a lot of fasting, well eating differently.
It is mostly Vegan food when we fast. (I am relieved of the
fasting because it makes me CRABBY and antisocial. And now I know
why.)

Problem with Vegan food is that it can be very high glycemic
if you are not careful. But, then again, if it is that or
starving, well...
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

[quote=Todd;
Hmmm. Interesting. Thank you!
I am thinking of chopping up some tomatoes and
throwing them into the pan to create a sauce
and to simulate the tomato sauce and V8 above.
(V8, is that even edible? Seems to me it
is a mixture of carrot juice and medical waste.)
Maybe an onion too.
And basically, lots of chili peppers!
I will probably get a shot at it this
weekend. I am loving eating like a cave man!
Thank you for sharing.
-T[/QUOTE]

Did not realize the V 8 would be a deal killer for ya. Will take one more crack at trying to help you. If this one dont suit..go ahead with your plans for yup chili..lol.

(quote)

Randy Moore
State of Alabama Pod

Randy’s Fool’s Gold Chili

Gray 2 pounds of cubed chuck tender beef (or chili grind).
Add:

1 14-1/2 oz. Can – Swanson’s Beef Broth
1 8-oz. Can – Contadina Tomato Sauce
1 Cube – Beef Bouillon
1 Cube – Chicken Bouillon
Float 1 Jalapeno Pepper and 1 Serrano Pepper.

Bring to a boil and add:

2 tsp. – Pendery’s Onion Powder
1 tsp. – Pendery’s Garlic Powder
1 Tbls. - Pendery’s Fort Worth Light Chili Powder
2 Tbls. - Gunpowder Foods Texas Red Chili Powder
¼ tsp. - Black Pepper
1 packet - Sazon Goya

Cut back heat and simmer for about an hour, then add:

½ tsp. – Pendery’s Mexican Oregano
½ tsp. – Pendery’s Onion Powder
½ tsp. – Pendery’s Garlic Powder
1 Tbls. – Pendery’s Fort Worth Light Chili Powder
2 Tbls. - Gebhardt’s Chili Powder
¼ tsp. – Black Pepper
¼ tsp. – Cayenne Pepper
½ packet – Sazon Goya

Simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Squeeze peppers and discard pulp. Add:

1 Tbls. – Pendery’s Ground Cumin
¼ tsp. – Cayenne Pepper
½ packet – Sazon Goya
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/02/2013 08:19 AM, bigwheel wrote:
> Did not realize the V 8 would be a deal killer for ya. Will take one
>>more crack at trying to help you. If this one dont suit..go ahead with
>>your plans for yup chili..lol.

Hi Bigwheel,

Thank you for the tips.

Don't pay too close attention to me carrying on about V8.
I am just being stupid/corny. (You should hear me carry
on about Kale and Tofu. Now there is some ... Okay, I
will restrain myself.)

The only think about V8 I would not like is that it is not
organic. I'd be afraid of the chemicals. Hmm. V8 is even
low carb. Must not have that many carrots it it.

Tried some green veg drink from Trader Joe's. Almost
puked.

Your chili recipes are too complicated for me. Remember that
I stink as a cook. But, I loved poring over them looking
for the spices used. So, even though they were over my
head, I was able to use them anyway. Thank you!

Hey, I burn butter and egg plant.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> Hey, I burn butter and egg plant.

Google burnt eggplant and tahini. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message

>> I don't really get that. Don't watch Zombie movies.

> Hi Julie,
>
> Gallows humor. I am just being silly. It stinks
> having to explaining your jokes. But you get use to
> it after a while.
>
> I will eat like a cave man, rather than risk loosing
> body parts, a heart attack, and going blind. Besides,
> I am having too much fun at it.

You can eat like that if you want but it doesn't mean that you won't escape
complications.

> You are kind of between a rock and a hard place
> with your stomach problems. That really sucks.
> Please forgive me if I am being "insensitive"
> talking about thinks you can't eat.
>
> -T
>
> Speaking of cave man, he had to chase his food,
> meaning I need to exercise more. I hate exercise.
> Drove a stationary bike once. Thought I'd
> died and gone to hell.
>
> But I do *love* to (fly) fish, which is truly
> the best exercise ever created. Uh oh. Poor
> trout. This mean no more Catch and Release!
> (Perhaps. Need a good trout recipe first.)
>
> Is chewing considered exercise? (You do really
> get use to having to explain your jokes.)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 01/30/2013 08:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Well, I don't know what that guy's credentials are, but I'm still not
>> buying
>> it. I was almost vegan for some years and still do eat a mostly vegan
>> diet.
>> I can't say that I was ever a true vegan because I eat non vegan sugar
>> and
>> carry a leather purse. But I eat very little in the way of animal
>> products.

> In my religion, we do a lot of fasting, well eating differently.
> It is mostly Vegan food when we fast. (I am relieved of the
> fasting because it makes me CRABBY and antisocial. And now I know
> why.)

I don't do religion and I don't/wouldn't fast unless it had to be done for a
medical procedure.

> Problem with Vegan food is that it can be very high glycemic
> if you are not careful. But, then again, if it is that or
> starving, well...

Glycemic means nothing to me. Some of the best foods for my BG are white
rice, white bread and potatoes. Note that I am not recommending this for
others to eat. Just what works best for me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/03/2013 08:28 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> : All the nutrition is in the skin! ?Ay, caramba!
>
> Old wives tale to try to get kids to eat the skin of all kinds of foods.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

I can hear my parents saying something about stunting your
growth. :-)

There may be something to eggplant and the skin. Do a Google
search on "eggplant nasunin". Here is a whole web site
devoted to it.

http://www.nasunin.com/

I like the smaller eggplant as the skin is still tender
that point. (Now if I cold stop burning them!)

Thank you for the tips!

-T