Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Chili?

On 01/30/2013 08:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Well, I don't know what that guy's credentials are, but I'm still not buying
it. I was almost vegan for some years and still do eat a mostly vegan diet.
I can't say that I was ever a true vegan because I eat non vegan sugar and
carry a leather purse. But I eat very little in the way of animal products.

In my religion, we do a lot of fasting, well eating differently.
It is mostly Vegan food when we fast. (I am relieved of the
fasting because it makes me CRABBY and antisocial. And now I know
why.)

Problem with Vegan food is that it can be very high glycemic
if you are not careful. But, then again, if it is that or
starving, well...

Old 02-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

[quote=Todd;
Hmmm. Interesting. Thank you!
I am thinking of chopping up some tomatoes and
throwing them into the pan to create a sauce
and to simulate the tomato sauce and V8 above.
(V8, is that even edible? Seems to me it
is a mixture of carrot juice and medical waste.)
Maybe an onion too.
And basically, lots of chili peppers!
I will probably get a shot at it this
weekend. I am loving eating like a cave man!
Thank you for sharing.
-T[/QUOTE]

Did not realize the V 8 would be a deal killer for ya. Will take one more crack at trying to help you. If this one dont suit..go ahead with your plans for yup chili..lol.

(quote)

Randy Moore
State of Alabama Pod

Randy’s Fool’s Gold Chili

Gray 2 pounds of cubed chuck tender beef (or chili grind).
Add:

1 14-1/2 oz. Can – Swanson’s Beef Broth
1 8-oz. Can – Contadina Tomato Sauce
1 Cube – Beef Bouillon
1 Cube – Chicken Bouillon
Float 1 Jalapeno Pepper and 1 Serrano Pepper.

Bring to a boil and add:

2 tsp. – Pendery’s Onion Powder
1 tsp. – Pendery’s Garlic Powder
1 Tbls. - Pendery’s Fort Worth Light Chili Powder
2 Tbls. - Gunpowder Foods Texas Red Chili Powder
¼ tsp. - Black Pepper
1 packet - Sazon Goya

Cut back heat and simmer for about an hour, then add:

½ tsp. – Pendery’s Mexican Oregano
½ tsp. – Pendery’s Onion Powder
½ tsp. – Pendery’s Garlic Powder
1 Tbls. – Pendery’s Fort Worth Light Chili Powder
2 Tbls. - Gebhardt’s Chili Powder
¼ tsp. – Black Pepper
¼ tsp. – Cayenne Pepper
½ packet – Sazon Goya

Simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Squeeze peppers and discard pulp. Add:

1 Tbls. – Pendery’s Ground Cumin
¼ tsp. – Cayenne Pepper
½ packet – Sazon Goya
Old 03-02-2013, 02:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/02/2013 08:19 AM, bigwheel wrote:
Did not realize the V 8 would be a deal killer for ya. Will take one
more crack at trying to help you. If this one dont suit..go ahead with
your plans for yup chili..lol.

Hi Bigwheel,

Thank you for the tips.

Don't pay too close attention to me carrying on about V8.
I am just being stupid/corny. (You should hear me carry
on about Kale and Tofu. Now there is some ... Okay, I
will restrain myself.)

The only think about V8 I would not like is that it is not
organic. I'd be afraid of the chemicals. Hmm. V8 is even
low carb. Must not have that many carrots it it.

Tried some green veg drink from Trader Joe's. Almost
puked.

Your chili recipes are too complicated for me. Remember that
I stink as a cook. But, I loved poring over them looking
for the spices used. So, even though they were over my
head, I was able to use them anyway. Thank you!

Hey, I burn butter and egg plant.

-T

Old 03-02-2013, 02:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
Hey, I burn butter and egg plant.

Google burnt eggplant and tahini. :-)

Cheri

Old 03-02-2013, 09:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 01/31/2013 02:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
This is where my joking remark about being an extra in
a Zombie movie comes from. Save the makeup artist
a lot of time.

I don't really get that. Don't watch Zombie movies.

Hi Julie,

Gallows humor. I am just being silly. It stinks
having to explaining your jokes. But you get use to
it after a while.

I will eat like a cave man, rather than risk loosing
body parts, a heart attack, and going blind. Besides,
I am having too much fun at it.

You can eat like that if you want but it doesn't mean that you won't escape
complications.

You are kind of between a rock and a hard place
with your stomach problems. That really sucks.
Please forgive me if I am being "insensitive"
talking about thinks you can't eat.

-T

Speaking of cave man, he had to chase his food,
meaning I need to exercise more. I hate exercise.
Drove a stationary bike once. Thought I'd
died and gone to hell.

But I do *love* to (fly) fish, which is truly
the best exercise ever created. Uh oh. Poor
trout. This mean no more Catch and Release!
(Perhaps. Need a good trout recipe first.)

Is chewing considered exercise? (You do really
get use to having to explain your jokes.)

Old 03-02-2013, 09:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 01/30/2013 08:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Well, I don't know what that guy's credentials are, but I'm still not
buying
it. I was almost vegan for some years and still do eat a mostly vegan
diet.
I can't say that I was ever a true vegan because I eat non vegan sugar
and
carry a leather purse. But I eat very little in the way of animal
products.

In my religion, we do a lot of fasting, well eating differently.
It is mostly Vegan food when we fast. (I am relieved of the
fasting because it makes me CRABBY and antisocial. And now I know
why.)

I don't do religion and I don't/wouldn't fast unless it had to be done for a
medical procedure.

Problem with Vegan food is that it can be very high glycemic
if you are not careful. But, then again, if it is that or
starving, well...

Glycemic means nothing to me. Some of the best foods for my BG are white
rice, white bread and potatoes. Note that I am not recommending this for
others to eat. Just what works best for me.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:29 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/03/2013 08:28 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: All the nutrition is in the skin! ?Ay, caramba!

Old wives tale to try to get kids to eat the skin of all kinds of foods.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

I can hear my parents saying something about stunting your
growth. :-)

There may be something to eggplant and the skin. Do a Google
search on "eggplant nasunin". Here is a whole web site
devoted to it.

http://www.nasunin.com/

I like the smaller eggplant as the skin is still tender
that point. (Now if I cold stop burning them!)

Thank you for the tips!

-T