Old 04-02-2013, 06:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Let's talk pickles!

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"W. Baker" wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
: How often do you eat them? I have several jars that I bought but I
: rarely think to eat them. And while they used to be commonly put on
: your plate when you ordered a burger or sandwich in a restaurant, they
: rarely are here any more. So once I can stop writing down my food
: intake for the day, I'm going to make more of an effort to eat them.
: But right now eating anything extra is a PITA because there's no room
: on my paper to write the food down.

I love my dill pickles. they always serve them here with burgers and
many sandwiches(which I get without the bread). WhenI buy a jar I
willhave them either with dinner or as a snack. I did find some
artificially swetened sweet ghirkins wich I use in a fish salad recipe of
my Mother's that is a lovely dish for lunch guests. Unfortunately, these
are hard to find .

My 7 year old granddaughter and I love our homemade pickles. No vinegar,
just brine, garlic, a little hot Thai pepper and some fresh dill from
Jun's
garden.

Is the brine just salt and water then?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Basically, yes. You might look he

http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sour-pickles-2/

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
Is the brine just salt and water then?

Basically, yes. You might look he

http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sour-pickles-2/

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2013, 02:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
: There was an amputee named Guy who used to post here. He claims his
: problem
: started with a fungal infection. Not from eating carbs.
:
: The individual I spoke of dropped something of his foot. Two
: weeks apart on each foot. Got infected. Went into gangerine.
: It started with carbs. Guy probably had neuropathy. And
: that indeed started with too many carbs.

: No. It didn't start with carbs. It started when he dropped something on
: his feet and then there was the infection. We do not know from there if he
: treated the infection properly. I do not know if Guy had neuropathy or not
: but I do know that he didn't eat a lot of carbs. And he was a type 1! He
: was posting here long before I came here so I only know what he posted after
: I came here. I believe that his wife was Latino and he used to say that he
: couldn't always eat everything that she made. If she made tacos, he could
: eat one.

This is often how the problems that lead to amputation in diabetics get
started. It is that issue of slow or poor wound healing and dontrolling
infection. Somthinglike, object dropped on foot, step on object and don't
feel it, rub off skin, etc. happens and it starts an infection which
spreads and can't be controlled and leads to gangrene and often
amputation. why do you think you are told not to wlak barefoot? It is
part of the prevention of infectionto amputation problem. No, not every
poorly controlled diabetic has an amputation, but a high percentage of
amputaions(aside form terrible war injuries) are the result of diabtic
people beign unable to deal with foot and leg injuries that mean little or
nothing for non-diabetics.

Why do you think there is alwasy such emphasis on foot care for diabetics
in literature and in advice given. Yu have alwasy said that no one ws
allowed to go barefoot in your house as a child, so that could well have
helped your reletives with diabetes even when they had high bgs.

Wendy
Old 04-02-2013, 03:32 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Those relatives didn't live in my house and I don't know if they went
barefoot or not!

Old 04-02-2013, 10:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Julie Bove wrote:
: : There was an amputee named Guy who used to post here. He claims his
: : problem
: : started with a fungal infection. Not from eating carbs.
: :
[...]

You don't go barefoot and so are watching your feet. Just be careful not
to drop anything heavy onto your foot. I also know a diabetic man, a
custodian, who lost not only a foot, but part of a leg from havign a heavy
object dro on his foot and the subsequent, diabetes exaceerbated infection
led to the usual pattern of gangrene and amutation. It is one of the
hazards of uncontrolled diabetes,

I assume that your father and our brother, who you referenced did live in
your house when you were growing up and got the no barefoot word from your
mother. As to your other reletives, kI don't know them so I guess I don't
really care.

Wendy

Old 04-02-2013, 10:46 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

They did but I was not talking about them. I have been diabetic longer than
them. I was talking of aunts, uncles, and great uncles. And you certainly
have been nasty to me lately!

Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/03/2013 09:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
You didn't get this lecture?

Nobody gave me any lecture whatever. Ever. Why would they? I'm an adult.
Most people don't lecture other adults and that technique isn't even really
effective with kids.

Hi Julie,

Interesting how a ill chosen word can have different
meaning to different people.

When I said "lecture", I meant the first meaning [1]:

1. a speech read or delivered before an audience
or class, especially for instruction or to set
forth some subject: a lecture on Picasso's
paintings.

But you heard the second meaning [1]:

2. a speech of warning or reproof as to conduct;
a long, tedious reprimand.

Fascinating.

-T

1) http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lecture?s=t
Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/03/2013 09:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
I think you have said a*lot* of incorrect information and I just did point
it out to you. It's not that you're rude but it's the way that you are
stating things. As though they are facts. And they're not. They're based
on something people have told you or what you have read.

Hi Julie,

Okay, now I understand. In my own defense, I "presumed"
that I was talking to like minded people. I did not
reference what I said, as I though it would be like
referencing the ocean was full of water to a bunch of
sailors. I was making friendly conversation. I did not
realize there would be such a difference of opinion.

In the future, if I ever raise the subject again, I
will be sure to reference what I say. I am here
for the diabetic cooking and friendship anyway.
Not to argue.

-T
Old 05-02-2013, 10:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/03/2013 01:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
Carbs and sugar are not the same thing.

Hi Julie,

For diabetics they are. If you would like, I
can explain the chemistry to you. I am an engineer
and have a nice background in chemistry. Probably
be able to get it in a couple of paragraphs. *PROVIDED,*
we stay friends.

-T

Old 05-02-2013, 11:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 02/03/2013 01:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
Carbs and sugar are not the same thing.

Hi Julie,

For diabetics they are. If you would like, I
can explain the chemistry to you. I am an engineer
and have a nice background in chemistry. Probably
be able to get it in a couple of paragraphs. *PROVIDED,*
we stay friends.

-T

Actually they are *not* the same thing. If I'm having a hypo, it is far
better for me to eat something with fast acting sugar like glucose or
sucrose than it would be for me to eat a more high fiber food. Like a slice
of whole wheat bread or some brown rice. Throw some fat in there and the
whole thing changes as well.

I get the feeling that you are talking to me as though I were some clueless
newbie. In fact I have had diabetes for over 15 years now.

I am not an engineer and got a D in chemistry. But I got an A+ in biology.
"Sugar" is a very specific type of carb. The term "carb" can encompass a
wide variety of foods. There are carbs in green beans, broccoli, even a
tiny amount in an egg.

And again, there is no one thing that is going to be true for all diabetics
because we are all different. Except perhaps to say that if you take in
more carbs than your body can handle, your BG could be too high.

You say that you are here for "like minded" people but there is no one way
to approach diabetes. You seem to think that we are all like you but we are
not. There isn't even just one treatment for diabetes. Some use just diet.
Some use diet and exercise. I think most all of us here use at least diet
if not diet and exercise. I happen to be disabled so can't do too terribly
much in the way of exercise and doing what I used to do (working out with
weights) simply raised my BG too high so my Dr. told me to stop doing it.
Some people use a pill or various pills. Some use insulin. Some use
insulin and a pill or pills. And many of us use various supplements.

So really the only thing we all have in common is that we have diabetes.

Where is the Egg Talk? W. Baker Diabetic 30 25-08-2011 05:50 PM
Bread and Butter Pickles vs Yum Yum Pickles WLinington General Cooking 19 29-10-2009 10:56 PM
LET'S TALK ABOUT No Name Asian Cooking 2 07-08-2009 08:46 PM
OT? All this talk... Paco's Tacos General Cooking 2 31-05-2007 06:27 AM
Don't Use Tea Talk! Mydnight Tea 12 15-01-2005 11:37 PM