Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Let's talk pickles!

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 02/03/2013 01:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Carbs and sugar are not the same thing.

> Hi Julie,
>
> For diabetics they are. If you would like, I
> can explain the chemistry to you. I am an engineer
> and have a nice background in chemistry. Probably
> be able to get it in a couple of paragraphs. *PROVIDED,*
> we stay friends.
>
> -T

Actually they are *not* the same thing. If I'm having a hypo, it is far
better for me to eat something with fast acting sugar like glucose or
sucrose than it would be for me to eat a more high fiber food. Like a slice
of whole wheat bread or some brown rice. Throw some fat in there and the
whole thing changes as well.

I get the feeling that you are talking to me as though I were some clueless
newbie. In fact I have had diabetes for over 15 years now.

I am not an engineer and got a D in chemistry. But I got an A+ in biology.
"Sugar" is a very specific type of carb. The term "carb" can encompass a
wide variety of foods. There are carbs in green beans, broccoli, even a
tiny amount in an egg.

And again, there is no one thing that is going to be true for all diabetics
because we are all different. Except perhaps to say that if you take in
more carbs than your body can handle, your BG could be too high.

You say that you are here for "like minded" people but there is no one way
to approach diabetes. You seem to think that we are all like you but we are
not. There isn't even just one treatment for diabetes. Some use just diet.
Some use diet and exercise. I think most all of us here use at least diet
if not diet and exercise. I happen to be disabled so can't do too terribly
much in the way of exercise and doing what I used to do (working out with
weights) simply raised my BG too high so my Dr. told me to stop doing it.
Some people use a pill or various pills. Some use insulin. Some use
insulin and a pill or pills. And many of us use various supplements.

So really the only thing we all have in common is that we have diabetes.

Where is the Egg Talk? W. Baker Diabetic 30 25-08-2011 05:50 PM
Bread and Butter Pickles vs Yum Yum Pickles WLinington General Cooking 19 29-10-2009 10:56 PM
LET'S TALK ABOUT No Name Asian Cooking 2 07-08-2009 08:46 PM
OT? All this talk... Paco's Tacos General Cooking 2 31-05-2007 06:27 AM
Don't Use Tea Talk! Mydnight Tea 12 15-01-2005 11:37 PM