Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!

We will be , for a change, home. Our friends and neighbors have had a
rough patch of ill health. He's getting better and she's pretty much
exhausted. I invited them for Thanksgiving dinner.

It will be simple with turkey, veggies, sugar-free cranberry sauce,
baked sweet potato and a small amount of smashed red potato for gravy usage.

Here's the pie we'll have for dessert. Not good for everyone, but DH
can handle it with a sufficient bolus from his pump.

If anyone would like the almond meal crust recipe, let me know.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pecan Pie - Lower Carb

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : pies

1 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
1/4 cup Ideal brand sweetener -- or Splenda
1/2 cup butter
3 eggs
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Stir
in the brown sugar, white sweetener and the flour; mix well. Last add
the milk, vanilla and nuts.

Pour into a 9-in almond meal and butter pie shell that has been
pre-baked for 10 minutes. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400
degrees, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40
minutes, or until done.

Yield:
"1 - 9 inch pie"
Start to Finish Time:
"1:05"

NOTES : "Unlike most pecan pies, this one does not require corn syrup."

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: Happy Thanksgiving!

: We will be , for a change, home. Our friends and neighbors have had a
: rough patch of ill health. He's getting better and she's pretty much
: exhausted. I invited them for Thanksgiving dinner.

: It will be simple with turkey, veggies, sugar-free cranberry sauce,
: baked sweet potato and a small amount of smashed red potato for gravy usage.

: Here's the pie we'll have for dessert. Not good for everyone, but DH
: can handle it with a sufficient bolus from his pump.

: If anyone would like the almond meal crust recipe, let me know.

: * Exported from MasterCook *

: Pecan Pie - Lower Carb

: Recipe By :
: Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
: Categories : pies

: Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
: -------- ------------ --------------------------------
[...]

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Way-the-heck-south Texas
: Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Janeet,

I use walnuts for crusts for both my low carb cheesecake and for my
thanksgiving parev, low carb pumpkin pie adn fine that teh oiliness of the
nuts does not require additional buter or oil or margarine. Witha little
sweetener to taste it works fine and packs nicely withotu the extra fat.
I buy walnut pieces and whap them up in the processor.

As for your filling, do you think it would work with either margarine or
neutral oil and either soy or almond milk since it is only 1 Tablespoon so
can't be a majjor taste feature. Would it be worth making parev or would
it be blah without the butter?

Also, did you all know that you can get a cyclamate "brown sugar" that has
no sugar at all in Canada? If you hae friends there you can get them to
send it to you. do you thnk that would work or would the half of real
brown sugar in the Splenda mix be required for proper functioning?

Lots of questions, I know, but that's what we are all here for:-)

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Nice to see you posting again

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/14/2012 8:56 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> Happy Thanksgiving!
>
> We will be , for a change, home. Our friends and neighbors have had a
> rough patch of ill health. He's getting better and she's pretty much
> exhausted. I invited them for Thanksgiving dinner.

Happy thanksiving to you and hope you have a great feast.

Happy T day to all.

Susan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Susan > wrote:

> On 11/14/2012 8:56 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> > Happy Thanksgiving!
> >
> > We will be , for a change, home. Our friends and neighbors have had a
> > rough patch of ill health. He's getting better and she's pretty much
> > exhausted. I invited them for Thanksgiving dinner.

> Happy thanksiving to you and hope you have a great feast.
>
> Happy T day to all.
>
> Susan

And to you, too, Susan!

Priscilla
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: Susan > wrote:

: > On 11/14/2012 8:56 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
: > > Happy Thanksgiving!
: > >
: > > We will be , for a change, home. Our friends and neighbors have had a
: > > rough patch of ill health. He's getting better and she's pretty much
: > > exhausted. I invited them for Thanksgiving dinner.
: >
: > Happy thanksiving to you and hope you have a great feast.
: >
: > Happy T day to all.
: >
: > Susan

: And to you, too, Susan!

: Priscilla
: --
: "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
: of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
: - Chris Malcolm
Happy thanksgiving ot all and my Susan and all of us enjoy strength and
good health till next thanks giving when we can all wish each other the
same:-)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : In article >,
> : Susan > wrote:
>
> : > On 11/14/2012 8:56 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> : > > Happy Thanksgiving!
> : > >
> : > > We will be , for a change, home. Our friends and neighbors have had a
> : > > rough patch of ill health. He's getting better and she's pretty much
> : > > exhausted. I invited them for Thanksgiving dinner.
> : >
> : > Happy thanksiving to you and hope you have a great feast.
> : >
> : > Happy T day to all.
> : >
> : > Susan
>
> : And to you, too, Susan!
>
> : Priscilla
> : --
> : "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by
> : means
> : of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
> : - Chris
> : Malcolm
> Happy thanksgiving ot all and my Susan and all of us enjoy strength and
> good health till next thanks giving when we can all wish each other the
> same:-)
>
> Wendy

Amen!

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/14/2012 8:56 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
> : Happy Thanksgiving!
>
> : We will be , for a change, home. Our friends and neighbors have had a
> : rough patch of ill health. He's getting better and she's pretty much
> : exhausted. I invited them for Thanksgiving dinner.
>
> : It will be simple with turkey, veggies, sugar-free cranberry sauce,
> : baked sweet potato and a small amount of smashed red potato for gravy usage.
>
> : Here's the pie we'll have for dessert. Not good for everyone, but DH
> : can handle it with a sufficient bolus from his pump.
>
> : If anyone would like the almond meal crust recipe, let me know.
>

> : * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> : Pecan Pie - Lower Carb
>
> : Recipe By :
> : Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
> : Categories : pies
>
> : Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> : -------- ------------ --------------------------------
> : 1 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
> : 1/4 cup Ideal brand sweetener -- or Splenda
> : 1/2 cup butter
> : 3 eggs
> : 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
> : 1 tablespoon milk
> : 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> : 1 cup chopped pecans
>
> : Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
>
> : In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Stir
> : in the brown sugar, white sweetener and the flour; mix well. Last add
> : the milk, vanilla and nuts.
>
> : Pour into a 9-in almond meal and butter pie shell that has been
> : pre-baked for 10 minutes. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400
> : degrees, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40
> : minutes, or until done.
>
> : Yield:
> : "1 - 9 inch pie"
> : Start to Finish Time:
> : "1:05"
>
> : NOTES : "Unlike most pecan pies, this one does not require corn syrup."
> : --
> : Janet Wilder
> : Way-the-heck-south Texas
> : Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
>
> Janeet,
>
> I use walnuts for crusts for both my low carb cheesecake and for my
> thanksgiving parev, low carb pumpkin pie adn fine that teh oiliness of the
> nuts does not require additional buter or oil or margarine. Witha little
> sweetener to taste it works fine and packs nicely withotu the extra fat.
> I buy walnut pieces and whap them up in the processor.

I have tried walnuts and pecans. We like the almond best

> As for your filling, do you think it would work with either margarine or
> neutral oil and either soy or almond milk since it is only 1 Tablespoon so
> can't be a majjor taste feature. Would it be worth making parev or would
> it be blah without the butter?

I think it would work with margarine. Probably will work with soy milk.
Mocha Mix or other parve milk sub would be perfect. It bakes really
well. I've used it for parve pumpkin pie where the recipe calls for
evaporated milk.

> Also, did you all know that you can get a cyclamate "brown sugar" that has
> no sugar at all in Canada? If you hae friends there you can get them to
> send it to you. do you thnk that would work or would the half of real
> brown sugar in the Splenda mix be required for proper functioning?

I think the pie would not set up without the sugar in the Splenda mix.
I am aware of non-sugar "brown sugar" products, but I don't think it
would work in this recipe.