Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Thanksgiving meal.

This year is going to be kind of weird. Most likely my dad will still be in
the rehab place. They will be serving Thanksgiving dinner and guests can
eat there, for a few of course. However my brother, SIL and mom will be
eating at a restaurant. My nephew may also join them. Not sure. But the
meal this place is serving is not something Angela and I can eat. Yes we
could have the turkey or the ham (except that we don't eat ham) but really
everything else is off limits either because of our food intolerances or the
South Beach diet.

So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like the
South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of mushrooms,
celery and onions with a small amount of whole wheat bread cubes, broth and
seasonings. The original recipe calls for something I can't have. I can't
remember what that was. I left it out and it was fine. Might have been
Worcestershire sauce. Whatever it was, it was a small amount. I've been
buying the Kirkland (Costco) brand sliced turkey breast. It's much cheaper
than the stuff I usually buy when we have Thanksgiving at home and we're
fine with it so we'll have that. Boxed gluten free and dairy free gravy.
We don't even need the GF any more but I can't have the dairy. Canned green
beans. Probably some olives. We both like olives. The only special thing
that we will have is some baked apples. I will probably just buy extra of
the sliced apples from Costco and bake them with a little cinnamon. I don't
think they'll need any sweetener.

Must look for some festive paper plates. Yes, that is what we use. Or
maybe the fancy plastic disposable kind. I'll let Angela pick. We usually
get some fancy plastic cutlery too. Angela likes the silver colored stuff.

Will be weird to have just the two of us this year. Even when my husband is
home I have to go to greater lengths for the meal than I normally would.
But he likes the legs only so I usually do a whole crock-pot full of those.
And I buy and/or make various finger foods for him because he eats while
watching football. But we won't need to do that now.

I might try to give Bali and Jazzy a little turkey. Bali might eat it. She
did eat a little bit of chicken once. But Jazzy seems to only like tuna.
Maui used to love the Thanksgiving meal. I always gave her a little plate
of turkey and some mashed potatoes. She loved potatoes. These two will
sniff the human food but generally they don't eat it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

That should say for a fee. Gah!
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> This year is going to be kind of weird. Most likely my dad will still be
> in the rehab place. They will be serving Thanksgiving dinner and guests
> can eat there, for a few of course. However my brother, SIL and mom will
> be eating at a restaurant. My nephew may also join them. Not sure. But
> the meal this place is serving is not something Angela and I can eat. Yes
> we could have the turkey or the ham (except that we don't eat ham) but
> really everything else is off limits either because of our food
> intolerances or the South Beach diet.
>
> So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like the
> South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
> mushrooms, celery and onions with a small amount of whole wheat bread
> cubes, broth and seasonings. The original recipe calls for something I
> can't have. I can't remember what that was. I left it out and it was
> fine. Might have been Worcestershire sauce. Whatever it was, it was a
> small amount. I've been buying the Kirkland (Costco) brand sliced turkey
> breast. It's much cheaper than the stuff I usually buy when we have
> Thanksgiving at home and we're fine with it so we'll have that. Boxed
> gluten free and dairy free gravy. We don't even need the GF any more but I
> can't have the dairy. Canned green beans. Probably some olives. We both
> like olives. The only special thing that we will have is some baked
> apples. I will probably just buy extra of the sliced apples from Costco
> and bake them with a little cinnamon. I don't think they'll need any
> sweetener.
>
> Must look for some festive paper plates. Yes, that is what we use. Or
> maybe the fancy plastic disposable kind. I'll let Angela pick. We
> usually get some fancy plastic cutlery too. Angela likes the silver
> colored stuff.
>
> Will be weird to have just the two of us this year. Even when my husband
> is home I have to go to greater lengths for the meal than I normally
> would. But he likes the legs only so I usually do a whole crock-pot full
> of those. And I buy and/or make various finger foods for him because he
> eats while watching football. But we won't need to do that now.
>
> I might try to give Bali and Jazzy a little turkey. Bali might eat it.
> She did eat a little bit of chicken once. But Jazzy seems to only like
> tuna. Maui used to love the Thanksgiving meal. I always gave her a little
> plate of turkey and some mashed potatoes. She loved potatoes. These two
> will sniff the human food but generally they don't eat it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> This year is going to be kind of weird. Most likely my dad will still be
> in the rehab place. They will be serving Thanksgiving dinner and guests
> can eat there, for a few of course. However my brother, SIL and mom will
> be eating at a restaurant. My nephew may also join them. Not sure. But
> the meal this place is serving is not something Angela and I can eat. Yes
> we could have the turkey or the ham (except that we don't eat ham) but
> really everything else is off limits either because of our food
> intolerances or the South Beach diet.
>
> So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like the
> South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
> mushrooms, celery and onions with a small amount of whole wheat bread
> cubes, broth and seasonings. The original recipe calls for something I
> can't have. I can't remember what that was. I left it out and it was
> fine. Might have been Worcestershire sauce. Whatever it was, it was a
> small amount. I've been buying the Kirkland (Costco) brand sliced turkey
> breast. It's much cheaper than the stuff I usually buy when we have
> Thanksgiving at home and we're fine with it so we'll have that. Boxed
> gluten free and dairy free gravy. We don't even need the GF any more but I
> can't have the dairy. Canned green beans. Probably some olives. We both
> like olives. The only special thing that we will have is some baked
> apples. I will probably just buy extra of the sliced apples from Costco
> and bake them with a little cinnamon. I don't think they'll need any
> sweetener.
>
> Must look for some festive paper plates. Yes, that is what we use. Or
> maybe the fancy plastic disposable kind. I'll let Angela pick. We
> usually get some fancy plastic cutlery too. Angela likes the silver
> colored stuff.
>
> Will be weird to have just the two of us this year. Even when my husband
> is home I have to go to greater lengths for the meal than I normally
> would. But he likes the legs only so I usually do a whole crock-pot full
> of those. And I buy and/or make various finger foods for him because he
> eats while watching football. But we won't need to do that now.
>
> I might try to give Bali and Jazzy a little turkey. Bali might eat it.
> She did eat a little bit of chicken once. But Jazzy seems to only like
> tuna. Maui used to love the Thanksgiving meal. I always gave her a little
> plate of turkey and some mashed potatoes. She loved potatoes. These two
> will sniff the human food but generally they don't eat it.

Oh Damn It. I knew I should not have switched to General Hospital
last week. Apparently I missed the episodes in which the husband
disappeared and they found out that Julie is allergic to Worcestershire.

pavane

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> That should say for a fee. Gah!

I knew that. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"pavane" > wrote in message

> Oh Damn It. I knew I should not have switched to General Hospital
> last week. Apparently I missed the episodes in which the husband
> disappeared and they found out that Julie is allergic to Worcestershire.
>
> pavane

And your Thanksgiving meal is going to be?

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
..

> So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like the
> South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
> mushrooms,

..

Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham for
Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss. Cauliflower
casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny, like
pumpkin custard.
That's it.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "pavane" > wrote in message
>
>> Oh Damn It. I knew I should not have switched to General Hospital
>> last week. Apparently I missed the episodes in which the husband
>> disappeared and they found out that Julie is allergic to Worcestershire.
>>
>> pavane

> And your Thanksgiving meal is going to be?
>
> Cheri

Primarily made by others, thank you for asking.

pavane

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri > wrote:
: "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: ...
: .
: >
: > So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like the
: > South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
: > mushrooms,
: .

: Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
: pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
: Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham for
: Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss. Cauliflower
: casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny, like
: pumpkin custard.
: That's it.

: Cheri

I am invited to my son's for Thanksgiving this year, but, as requested, I
will supply the cranberry sauce (no sugar aded) and the desserts, an apply
either one crust(upper or crumble no sugar added, and a pumpkin pie with a
nut crust and no added sugar. there are several diabetics at this dinner,
so these are especially appreciated. My D-I-L makes a lovely suash and
pear soup that she usually serves adn will roast a lovely turkey with some
trimmings,. there wilbe a stuffing(cooked out ot the bird) and a salad an
d vegetables adn perhaps potatoes but I am not sure.

To me, thanksgiving is aboaut a whole lot of things, not only stuffing
your face, but being with family and friends and realizing that it
epitomizes our US motto, E Pluribus Unim(from many -one, as no matter
where we or our ancestors came from, no matter what our religion or
not, we are all Americans together. The way we serve ot dinner
illusrates this as different ethnicities use different side dishes with
teh turkey, lassagna in many Italian homes, and sweet potato pie in many
southern homes, while many of us do pumpkin pie(in the case of Kosher
Jews, prepared with soy or almond or some non-milk milk, etc. I also know
of some vegetarians who make a tofu turkey!

Let's us all just enoy out diversity and unity as we celebrate this great
holiday.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "pavane" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Oh Damn It. I knew I should not have switched to General Hospital
>>> last week. Apparently I missed the episodes in which the husband
>>> disappeared and they found out that Julie is allergic to Worcestershire.
>>>
>>> pavane

>> And your Thanksgiving meal is going to be?
>>
>> Cheri

> Primarily made by others, thank you for asking.
>
> pavane

You're welcome. I imagine the fact that you're not doing much of anything
for anybody, it leaves you a lot of spare time for sarcasm.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> I am invited to my son's for Thanksgiving this year, but, as requested, I
> will supply the cranberry sauce (no sugar aded) and the desserts, an apply
> either one crust(upper or crumble no sugar added, and a pumpkin pie with a
> nut crust and no added sugar. there are several diabetics at this dinner,
> so these are especially appreciated. My D-I-L makes a lovely suash and
> pear soup that she usually serves adn will roast a lovely turkey with some
> trimmings,. there wilbe a stuffing(cooked out ot the bird) and a salad an
> d vegetables adn perhaps potatoes but I am not sure.
>
> To me, thanksgiving is aboaut a whole lot of things, not only stuffing
> your face, but being with family and friends and realizing that it
> epitomizes our US motto, E Pluribus Unim(from many -one, as no matter
> where we or our ancestors came from, no matter what our religion or
> not, we are all Americans together. The way we serve ot dinner
> illusrates this as different ethnicities use different side dishes with
> teh turkey, lassagna in many Italian homes, and sweet potato pie in many
> southern homes, while many of us do pumpkin pie(in the case of Kosher
> Jews, prepared with soy or almond or some non-milk milk, etc. I also know
> of some vegetarians who make a tofu turkey!
>
> Let's us all just enoy out diversity and unity as we celebrate this great
> holiday.
>
> Wendy

Sounds like a great menu Wendy! I've never had squash and pear soup, sounds
intriguing. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:56:26 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>.
>>
>> So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like the
>> South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
>> mushrooms,

>.
>

>Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
>pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
>Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham for
>Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss. Cauliflower
>casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny, like
>pumpkin custard.
>That's it.
>

>Cheri

So, I'm curious. How did Trisha Yearwood cook the turkey?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:56:26 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>.
>>>
>>> So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like the
>>> South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
>>> mushrooms,

>>.
>>

>>Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
>>pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
>>Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham
>>for
>>Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss. Cauliflower
>>casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny,
>>like
>>pumpkin custard.
>>That's it.
>>

>>Cheri

> So, I'm curious. How did Trisha Yearwood cook the turkey?

I watched her do it on her cooking show, and it looked good, and she said it
always turns out wonderful and leaves the oven free for other stuff. Dunno,
so will try it. I'm not really such a huge fan of Turkey other than
sandwiches which I really don't eat much anymore, so if it turns out to be
not as good as it could be, it will be turned into dog food. :-)

7 hr 10 min.
Prep10 min.
Cook7 hr 0 min.
Yield:10 to 12 servings .

Ingredients
1/2 stick salted butter, softened
One 12-pound turkey, completely thawed and all giblets removed
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
2 stalks celery, cut in lengths to fit turkey cavity .
1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut in half
1 large carrot, cut in lengths to fit the turkey cavity
2 cups boiling water

Directions:

Adjust the oven racks so the covered roasting pan fit easily inside. Preheat
the oven to 500 degrees F.

Rub the butter on the outside and in the cavity of the turkey. Sprinkle the
salt and pepper on the inside and the outside of the turkey. Put the celery,
onion and carrot in the cavity. Place the turkey, breast-side up, in a large
roasting pan. Pour the boiling water into the pan. Cover with a
tight-fitting lid and put the pan in the oven.

Start a timer when the oven temperature returns to 500 degrees F.

Bake for exactly 1 hour and turn off the oven.

Do not open the oven door!

Leave the turkey in the oven until the oven completely cools; this may take
4 to 6 hours.
Reserve the pan juices and refrigerate the turkey if it will not be served
soon after roasting.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "pavane" > wrote in message

>>> And your Thanksgiving meal is going to be?
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Primarily made by others, thank you for asking.
>>
>> pavane

> You're welcome. I imagine the fact that you're not doing much of anything
> for anybody, it leaves you a lot of spare time for sarcasm.

Well, that was a rather sarcastic thing to say. Julie didn't mind my
wisecrack (not sarcasm, wisecrack) so why on earth should you?

pavane

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> This year is going to be kind of weird. Most likely my dad will still be
> in the rehab place. They will be serving Thanksgiving dinner and guests
> can eat there, for a few of course. However my brother, SIL and mom will
> be eating at a restaurant. My nephew may also join them. Not sure. But
> the meal this place is serving is not something Angela and I can eat. Yes
> we could have the turkey or the ham (except that we don't eat ham) but
> really everything else is off limits either because of our food
> intolerances or the South Beach diet.
>
> So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like the
> South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
> mushrooms, celery and onions with a small amount of whole wheat bread
> cubes, broth and seasonings. The original recipe calls for something I
> can't have. I can't remember what that was. I left it out and it was
> fine. Might have been Worcestershire sauce. Whatever it was, it was a
> small amount. I've been buying the Kirkland (Costco) brand sliced turkey
> breast. It's much cheaper than the stuff I usually buy when we have
> Thanksgiving at home and we're fine with it so we'll have that. Boxed
> gluten free and dairy free gravy. We don't even need the GF any more but I
> can't have the dairy. Canned green beans. Probably some olives. We both
> like olives. The only special thing that we will have is some baked
> apples. I will probably just buy extra of the sliced apples from Costco
> and bake them with a little cinnamon. I don't think they'll need any
> sweetener.
>
> Must look for some festive paper plates. Yes, that is what we use. Or
> maybe the fancy plastic disposable kind. I'll let Angela pick. We
> usually get some fancy plastic cutlery too. Angela likes the silver
> colored stuff.
>
> Will be weird to have just the two of us this year. Even when my husband
> is home I have to go to greater lengths for the meal than I normally
> would. But he likes the legs only so I usually do a whole crock-pot full
> of those. And I buy and/or make various finger foods for him because he
> eats while watching football. But we won't need to do that now.
>
> I might try to give Bali and Jazzy a little turkey. Bali might eat it.
> She did eat a little bit of chicken once. But Jazzy seems to only like
> tuna. Maui used to love the Thanksgiving meal. I always gave her a little
> plate of turkey and some mashed potatoes. She loved potatoes. These two
> will sniff the human food but generally they don't eat it.

We will be going to my Son's house in Scottsdale. My DIL, really puts on a
spread. She will have turkey, bread stuffing and cornbread sausage stuffing,
mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with pecans, salad,fruit salad, corn
casserole, green bean casserole, rolls, cranberries, and of course pumpkin
pie. and a pumpkin cheesecake. Her brother will bring a ham.
This is one time a year her family and our family join hands...she is
Hispanic and allot of her family live in the Phoenix area, they will be
there, as a couple of Aunts and cousins from Mexico...there will be a new
baby we haven't met yet. Thank Goodness they have a big house. Wayne and I
will go up Wednesday and come back Sunday...we used to do power shopping
while up there but that is out until I get a scooter, my Dr is ready to fill
out the paperwork, but I am waiting till we get our new SUV in a few months
so we will know what kind of lift to get. Anyways, we are looking forward to
our visit. I love the holidays especially if I don't have to do the cooking

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Cheri > wrote:
> : "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : .
> : >
> : > So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like
> the
> : > South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
> : > mushrooms,
> : .
>

> : Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
> : pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
> : Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham
> for
> : Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss.
> Cauliflower
> : casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny,
> like
> : pumpkin custard.
> : That's it.
>

> : Cheri
>
> I am invited to my son's for Thanksgiving this year, but, as requested, I
> will supply the cranberry sauce (no sugar aded) and the desserts, an apply
> either one crust(upper or crumble no sugar added, and a pumpkin pie with a
> nut crust and no added sugar. there are several diabetics at this dinner,
> so these are especially appreciated. My D-I-L makes a lovely suash and
> pear soup that she usually serves adn will roast a lovely turkey with some
> trimmings,. there wilbe a stuffing(cooked out ot the bird) and a salad an
> d vegetables adn perhaps potatoes but I am not sure.
>
> To me, thanksgiving is aboaut a whole lot of things, not only stuffing
> your face, but being with family and friends and realizing that it
> epitomizes our US motto, E Pluribus Unim(from many -one, as no matter
> where we or our ancestors came from, no matter what our religion or
> not, we are all Americans together. The way we serve ot dinner
> illusrates this as different ethnicities use different side dishes with
> teh turkey, lassagna in many Italian homes, and sweet potato pie in many
> southern homes, while many of us do pumpkin pie(in the case of Kosher
> Jews, prepared with soy or almond or some non-milk milk, etc. I also know
> of some vegetarians who make a tofu turkey!
>
> Let's us all just enoy out diversity and unity as we celebrate this great
> holiday.
>
> Wendy

I agree with you Wendy, it's all about family and friends. I love it when
our families get together, everybody is so busy with their lives we don't
get to see each other much but during the holidays we all try to take some
time out just to catch up..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Cheri > wrote:
> : "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : .
> : >
> : > So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like
> the
> : > South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
> : > mushrooms,
> : .
>

> : Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
> : pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
> : Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham
> for
> : Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss.
> Cauliflower
> : casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny,
> like
> : pumpkin custard.
> : That's it.
>

> : Cheri
>
> I am invited to my son's for Thanksgiving this year, but, as requested, I
> will supply the cranberry sauce (no sugar aded) and the desserts, an apply
> either one crust(upper or crumble no sugar added, and a pumpkin pie with a
> nut crust and no added sugar. there are several diabetics at this dinner,
> so these are especially appreciated. My D-I-L makes a lovely suash and
> pear soup that she usually serves adn will roast a lovely turkey with some
> trimmings,. there wilbe a stuffing(cooked out ot the bird) and a salad an
> d vegetables adn perhaps potatoes but I am not sure.
>
> To me, thanksgiving is aboaut a whole lot of things, not only stuffing
> your face, but being with family and friends and realizing that it
> epitomizes our US motto, E Pluribus Unim(from many -one, as no matter
> where we or our ancestors came from, no matter what our religion or
> not, we are all Americans together. The way we serve ot dinner
> illusrates this as different ethnicities use different side dishes with
> teh turkey, lassagna in many Italian homes, and sweet potato pie in many
> southern homes, while many of us do pumpkin pie(in the case of Kosher
> Jews, prepared with soy or almond or some non-milk milk, etc. I also know
> of some vegetarians who make a tofu turkey!
>
> Let's us all just enoy out diversity and unity as we celebrate this great
> holiday.
>
> Wendy

Sounds like a relaxing Thanksgiving for you and yours Cheri...enjoy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Karen" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:56:26 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>.

>>>.
>>>

>>>Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
>>>pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
>>>Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham
>>>for
>>>Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss. Cauliflower
>>>casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny,
>>>like
>>>pumpkin custard.
>>>That's it.
>>>

>>>Cheri

>> So, I'm curious. How did Trisha Yearwood cook the turkey?

> I watched her do it on her cooking show, and it looked good, and she said
> it always turns out wonderful and leaves the oven free for other stuff.
> Dunno, so will try it. I'm not really such a huge fan of Turkey other than
> sandwiches which I really don't eat much anymore, so if it turns out to be
> not as good as it could be, it will be turned into dog food. :-)
>
> 7 hr 10 min.
> Prep10 min.
> Cook7 hr 0 min.
> Yield:10 to 12 servings .
>
> Ingredients
> 1/2 stick salted butter, softened
> One 12-pound turkey, completely thawed and all giblets removed
> 2 tablespoons salt
> 2 teaspoons pepper
> 2 stalks celery, cut in lengths to fit turkey cavity .
> 1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut in half
> 1 large carrot, cut in lengths to fit the turkey cavity
> 2 cups boiling water
>
> Directions:
>
> Adjust the oven racks so the covered roasting pan fit easily inside.
> Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
>
> Rub the butter on the outside and in the cavity of the turkey. Sprinkle
> the salt and pepper on the inside and the outside of the turkey. Put the
> celery, onion and carrot in the cavity. Place the turkey, breast-side up,
> in a large roasting pan. Pour the boiling water into the pan. Cover with a
> tight-fitting lid and put the pan in the oven.
>
> Start a timer when the oven temperature returns to 500 degrees F.
>
> Bake for exactly 1 hour and turn off the oven.
>
> Do not open the oven door!
>
> Leave the turkey in the oven until the oven completely cools; this may
> take 4 to 6 hours.
> Reserve the pan juices and refrigerate the turkey if it will not be served
> soon after roasting.

Did the turkey brown in that steam?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message

> [...]

> stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with pecans, salad,fruit salad,
> corn casserole, green bean casserole, rolls, cranberries, and of course
> pumpkin pie. and a pumpkin cheesecake. Her brother will bring a ham.
> This is one time a year her family and our family join hands...she is
> Hispanic and allot of her family live in the Phoenix area, they will be
> there, as a couple of Aunts and cousins from Mexico...there will be a new
> baby we haven't met yet. Thank Goodness they have a big house. Wayne and I
> will go up Wednesday and come back Sunday...we used to do power shopping
> while up there but that is out until I get a scooter, my Dr is ready to
> fill out the paperwork, but I am waiting till we get our new SUV in a few
> months so we will know what kind of lift to get. Anyways, we are looking
> forward to our visit. I love the holidays especially if I don't have to do

Holidays are usually very stressful for me but since we're not doing a meal
out of the ordinary, except for the apples, it shouldn't be this year.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:13:29 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> wrote:

>"Karen" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:56:26 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>.

>>>.
>>>

>>>Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
>>>pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
>>>Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham
>>>for
>>>Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss. Cauliflower
>>>casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny,
>>>like
>>>pumpkin custard.
>>>That's it.
>>>

>>>Cheri

>> So, I'm curious. How did Trisha Yearwood cook the turkey?

>I watched her do it on her cooking show, and it looked good, and she said it
>always turns out wonderful and leaves the oven free for other stuff. Dunno,
>so will try it. I'm not really such a huge fan of Turkey other than
>sandwiches which I really don't eat much anymore, so if it turns out to be
>not as good as it could be, it will be turned into dog food. :-)
>
>7 hr 10 min.
>Prep10 min.
>Cook7 hr 0 min.
>Yield:10 to 12 servings .
>
>Ingredients
>1/2 stick salted butter, softened
>One 12-pound turkey, completely thawed and all giblets removed
>2 tablespoons salt
>2 teaspoons pepper
>2 stalks celery, cut in lengths to fit turkey cavity .
>1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut in half
>1 large carrot, cut in lengths to fit the turkey cavity
>2 cups boiling water
>
>Directions:
>
>Adjust the oven racks so the covered roasting pan fit easily inside. Preheat
>the oven to 500 degrees F.
>
>Rub the butter on the outside and in the cavity of the turkey. Sprinkle the
>salt and pepper on the inside and the outside of the turkey. Put the celery,
>onion and carrot in the cavity. Place the turkey, breast-side up, in a large
>roasting pan. Pour the boiling water into the pan. Cover with a
>tight-fitting lid and put the pan in the oven.
>
>Start a timer when the oven temperature returns to 500 degrees F.
>
>Bake for exactly 1 hour and turn off the oven.
>
> Do not open the oven door!
>
>Leave the turkey in the oven until the oven completely cools; this may take
>4 to 6 hours.
>Reserve the pan juices and refrigerate the turkey if it will not be served
>soon after roasting.

`
I'm not following. How does this leave the oven free for other things
if you have to leave the turkey in the oven till the oven completely
cools? Did I miss something? It sounds like a really easy way to
prepare it though. Let us know how it turns out.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message

> [...]

> stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with pecans, salad,fruit salad,
> corn casserole, green bean casserole, rolls, cranberries, and of course
> pumpkin pie. and a pumpkin cheesecake. Her brother will bring a ham.
> This is one time a year her family and our family join hands...she is
> Hispanic and allot of her family live in the Phoenix area, they will be
> there, as a couple of Aunts and cousins from Mexico...there will be a new
> baby we haven't met yet. Thank Goodness they have a big house. Wayne and I
> will go up Wednesday and come back Sunday...we used to do power shopping
> while up there but that is out until I get a scooter, my Dr is ready to
> fill out the paperwork, but I am waiting till we get our new SUV in a few
> months so we will know what kind of lift to get. Anyways, we are looking
> forward to our visit. I love the holidays especially if I don't have to do

Sounds like a grand time. I agree with you about the cooking. I don't care
to do it for a huge crowd much anymore, though I used to love it. Sometimes
I'm in the mood to do a lot of cooking, and enjoy a cooking day, but I don't
really enjoy having to do it on a certain day or timeline as much as I used
to.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message

> Sounds like a relaxing Thanksgiving for you and yours Cheri...enjoy

My daughters moved far away, my oldest in Chicago, my middle daughter in
Alabama, and most of my grandchildren gone too. I'm in CA. I do have one
granddaughter within 50 miles of me and 2 great grandchilren but they're
traveling to LA, and my son and twin grandsons are within a 100 miles of us.
They're going elsewhere this year, and did invite us to the in-laws, but
don't really feel like it. They will probably stop by later in the evening
on their way back to their home from the Bay Area. Happy Thanksgiving to you
and yours Jacquie. I feel really bad for being lazy and just watching
football with good snacks etc. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Karen" > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:56:26 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"

>>> So, I'm curious. How did Trisha Yearwood cook the turkey?

>> I watched her do it on her cooking show, and it looked good, and she said
>> it always turns out wonderful and leaves the oven free for other stuff.
>> Dunno, so will try it. I'm not really such a huge fan of Turkey other
>> than sandwiches which I really don't eat much anymore, so if it turns out
>> to be not as good as it could be, it will be turned into dog food. :-)
>>
>> 7 hr 10 min.
>> Prep10 min.
>> Cook7 hr 0 min.
>> Yield:10 to 12 servings .
>>
>> Ingredients
>> 1/2 stick salted butter, softened
>> One 12-pound turkey, completely thawed and all giblets removed
>> 2 tablespoons salt
>> 2 teaspoons pepper
>> 2 stalks celery, cut in lengths to fit turkey cavity .
>> 1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut in half
>> 1 large carrot, cut in lengths to fit the turkey cavity
>> 2 cups boiling water
>>
>> Directions:
>>
>> Adjust the oven racks so the covered roasting pan fit easily inside.
>> Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
>>
>> Rub the butter on the outside and in the cavity of the turkey. Sprinkle
>> the salt and pepper on the inside and the outside of the turkey. Put the
>> celery, onion and carrot in the cavity. Place the turkey, breast-side up,
>> in a large roasting pan. Pour the boiling water into the pan. Cover with
>> a tight-fitting lid and put the pan in the oven.
>>
>> Start a timer when the oven temperature returns to 500 degrees F.
>>
>> Bake for exactly 1 hour and turn off the oven.
>>
>> Do not open the oven door!
>>
>> Leave the turkey in the oven until the oven completely cools; this may
>> take 4 to 6 hours.
>> Reserve the pan juices and refrigerate the turkey if it will not be
>> served soon after roasting.
>>

> Did the turkey brown in that steam?

It looked like it did, not really crisp looking though, but she was more
focused on the dressing her mom used to make and didn't take the bird out of
the pan. I got a fresh 12 pound turkey today and am going to try it
tomorrow. DH loves any kind of turkey, so I told him we'll have your
Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, and mine next week. If the turkey turns out
bad, can always be made into dog food, mixed with veggies and frozen. :-) On
a side note, I have one of those old Lisk roasters that self bastes, so
really am unsure how it will turn out. Will report back.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:13:29 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Karen" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:56:26 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"

>>> So, I'm curious. How did Trisha Yearwood cook the turkey?

>>I watched her do it on her cooking show, and it looked good, and she said
>>it
>>always turns out wonderful and leaves the oven free for other stuff.
>>Dunno,
>>so will try it. I'm not really such a huge fan of Turkey other than
>>sandwiches which I really don't eat much anymore, so if it turns out to be
>>not as good as it could be, it will be turned into dog food. :-)
>>
>>7 hr 10 min.
>>Prep10 min.
>>Cook7 hr 0 min.
>>Yield:10 to 12 servings .
>>
>>Ingredients
>>1/2 stick salted butter, softened
>>One 12-pound turkey, completely thawed and all giblets removed
>>2 tablespoons salt
>>2 teaspoons pepper
>>2 stalks celery, cut in lengths to fit turkey cavity .
>>1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut in half
>>1 large carrot, cut in lengths to fit the turkey cavity
>>2 cups boiling water
>>
>>Directions:
>>
>>Adjust the oven racks so the covered roasting pan fit easily inside.
>>Preheat
>>the oven to 500 degrees F.
>>
>>Rub the butter on the outside and in the cavity of the turkey. Sprinkle
>>the
>>salt and pepper on the inside and the outside of the turkey. Put the
>>celery,
>>onion and carrot in the cavity. Place the turkey, breast-side up, in a
>>large
>>roasting pan. Pour the boiling water into the pan. Cover with a
>>tight-fitting lid and put the pan in the oven.
>>
>>Start a timer when the oven temperature returns to 500 degrees F.
>>
>>Bake for exactly 1 hour and turn off the oven.
>>
>> Do not open the oven door!
>>
>>Leave the turkey in the oven until the oven completely cools; this may
>>take
>>4 to 6 hours.
>>Reserve the pan juices and refrigerate the turkey if it will not be served
>>soon after roasting.
>>

> `
> I'm not following. How does this leave the oven free for other things
> if you have to leave the turkey in the oven till the oven completely
> cools? Did I miss something? It sounds like a really easy way to
> prepare it though. Let us know how it turns out.

If I understood her correctly, she said she puts it in at midnight so it's
ready when she gets up. I believe she must carve it up, refrigerate, and
reheat in the gravy she makes from the juices. That was the only thing I got
out of it, because like you, I wondered how that freed the oven up too. I
don't think the bird would still be hot when the oven is cool, but dunno for
sure. I will be making mine in the daytime tomorrow so will report back. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>>Reserve the pan juices and refrigerate the turkey if it will not be
>>>served
>>>soon after roasting.
>>>

>> `
>> I'm not following. How does this leave the oven free for other things
>> if you have to leave the turkey in the oven till the oven completely
>> cools? Did I miss something? It sounds like a really easy way to
>> prepare it though. Let us know how it turns out.

> If I understood her correctly, she said she puts it in at midnight so it's
> ready when she gets up. I believe she must carve it up, refrigerate, and
> reheat in the gravy she makes from the juices. That was the only thing I
> got out of it, because like you, I wondered how that freed the oven up
> too. I don't think the bird would still be hot when the oven is cool, but
> dunno for sure. I will be making mine in the daytime tomorrow so will

My mom always cooks hers the day before and reheats in the microwave.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Karen" > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:13:29 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"

m...

>>> `
>>> I'm not following. How does this leave the oven free for other things
>>> if you have to leave the turkey in the oven till the oven completely
>>> cools? Did I miss something? It sounds like a really easy way to
>>> prepare it though. Let us know how it turns out.

>> If I understood her correctly, she said she puts it in at midnight so
>> it's ready when she gets up. I believe she must carve it up, refrigerate,
>> and reheat in the gravy she makes from the juices. That was the only
>> thing I got out of it, because like you, I wondered how that freed the
>> oven up too. I don't think the bird would still be hot when the oven is
>> cool, but dunno for sure. I will be making mine in the daytime tomorrow
>> so will report back. :-)

> My mom always cooks hers the day before and reheats in the microwave.

My mom used to make it a day ahead sometimes if we were having a large
crowd, not in a microwave because they weren't invented yet, but put in a
large pan with gravy and rewarm in the oven. I know it's a lot of fun for
people to have the whole turkey presented on the table, including me in the
old days, since I love the crisp skin, but it's definitely easier to prepare
and carve in advance, and then reheat. That's why the Salvation Army and
others serve it that way for a crowd.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 23:14:10 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> wrote:

>"Karen" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:13:29 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
>> > wrote:

>>>I watched her do it on her cooking show, and it looked good, and she said
>>>it
>>>always turns out wonderful and leaves the oven free for other stuff.
>>>Dunno,
>>>so will try it. I'm not really such a huge fan of Turkey other than
>>>sandwiches which I really don't eat much anymore, so if it turns out to be
>>>not as good as it could be, it will be turned into dog food. :-)
>>>
>>>7 hr 10 min.
>>>Prep10 min.
>>>Cook7 hr 0 min.
>>>Yield:10 to 12 servings .
>>>
>>>Ingredients
>>>1/2 stick salted butter, softened
>>>One 12-pound turkey, completely thawed and all giblets removed
>>>2 tablespoons salt
>>>2 teaspoons pepper
>>>2 stalks celery, cut in lengths to fit turkey cavity .
>>>1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut in half
>>>1 large carrot, cut in lengths to fit the turkey cavity
>>>2 cups boiling water
>>>
>>>Directions:
>>>
>>>Adjust the oven racks so the covered roasting pan fit easily inside.
>>>Preheat
>>>the oven to 500 degrees F.
>>>
>>>Rub the butter on the outside and in the cavity of the turkey. Sprinkle
>>>the
>>>salt and pepper on the inside and the outside of the turkey. Put the
>>>celery,
>>>onion and carrot in the cavity. Place the turkey, breast-side up, in a
>>>large
>>>roasting pan. Pour the boiling water into the pan. Cover with a
>>>tight-fitting lid and put the pan in the oven.
>>>
>>>Start a timer when the oven temperature returns to 500 degrees F.
>>>
>>>Bake for exactly 1 hour and turn off the oven.
>>>
>>> Do not open the oven door!
>>>
>>>Leave the turkey in the oven until the oven completely cools; this may
>>>take
>>>4 to 6 hours.
>>>Reserve the pan juices and refrigerate the turkey if it will not be served
>>>soon after roasting.
>>>

>> `
>> I'm not following. How does this leave the oven free for other things
>> if you have to leave the turkey in the oven till the oven completely
>> cools? Did I miss something? It sounds like a really easy way to
>> prepare it though. Let us know how it turns out.

>If I understood her correctly, she said she puts it in at midnight so it's
>ready when she gets up. I believe she must carve it up, refrigerate, and
>reheat in the gravy she makes from the juices. That was the only thing I got
>out of it, because like you, I wondered how that freed the oven up too. I
>don't think the bird would still be hot when the oven is cool, but dunno for
>sure. I will be making mine in the daytime tomorrow so will report back. :-)
>
>Cheri

Okay. That makes more sense. I know someone else who roasts the
turkey overnight in a low temp oven.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message

> Okay. That makes more sense. I know someone else who roasts the
> turkey overnight in a low temp oven.

Got the turkey in the oven at 500 degrees right now for the hour of cooking
required before turning the oven off, it really smells good!!! Will report
when it's finished later this afternoon.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I'm doing the usual: My elderly mother will be coming down from NH to
spend Wed-Sat with me, and my sister, her partner, and my teenaged niece
will come down from Cambridge on Thursday for just the meal.

The menu doesn't change much from year to year. I'll do:

- a big roast turkey (over 20 lbs) with low-carb stuffing made from
chopped walnuts, some low-carb bread, onions, garlic, ginger root,
celery, fresh herbs from my garden, and minced giblets. I use the
cheese cloth soaked in butter over the breast method and then start
basting at about 1-1.5 hours.
- 5 lbs of russets peeled, boiled, and mashed with butter and cream, s&p.
- a load of steamed broccoli with butter and lemon.
- squash medley (3-5 diff kinds) seasoned with butter, maple syrup,
nutmeg, salt & pepper.
- creamed onions with peanuts (in honor of my departed father)
- sparkling cider or seltzer.
- whole berry cranberry sauce made with about 1/2 the water and 1/2 the
sugar as are in the recipe on the bag.
- my own pickled peaches I put up last year.

My sister's partner will make and bring a pumpkin pie for dessert.

I'll send my sister's family home loaded down with leftovers but, I
hope, not to the extent of robbing me of plenty.

The next day I'll make my cranberry sauce sweetened w/erithrytol and
cook up a nice big batch of rutabaga, then my mother and I will have
leftover Thanksgiving dinner for supper.

Happy family day to one and all!

Priscilla
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri > wrote:
: "Jacquie" > wrote in message
: ...
: >
: > "Cheri" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >> "Karen" > wrote in message
: >> ...
: >>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:56:26 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
: >>> > wrote:
: >>>
: >>>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: ...
: >>>>.
: >>>>>
: >>>>> So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like
: >>>>> the
: >>>>> South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
: >>>>> mushrooms,
: >>>>.
: >>>>
: >>>>
: >>>>Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
: >>>>pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
: >>>>Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham
: >>>>for
: >>>>Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss.
: >>>>Cauliflower
: >>>>casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny,
: >>>>like
: >>>>pumpkin custard.
: >>>>That's it.
: >>>>
: >>>>
: >>>>Cheri
: >>>
: >>> So, I'm curious. How did Trisha Yearwood cook the turkey?
: >>
: >>
[...]

You can alwys use parts for making soup or stock that you can freeze for
later. there are also lots of dishes to make that you cna use cooked
turkey fo like cooked chicken recipes, from chic(turkey) salad to thisng
with tomato sauce or ccream sauce kind of thins with interesting
seasonings like curry or whatever you like. You really dna make nice
people food form steamed turkey or chicken:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: >
: > If I understood her correctly, she said she puts it in at midnight so it's
: > ready when she gets up. I believe she must carve it up, refrigerate, and
: > reheat in the gravy she makes from the juices. That was the only thing I
: > got out of it, because like you, I wondered how that freed the oven up
: > too. I don't think the bird would still be hot when the oven is cool, but
: > dunno for sure. I will be making mine in the daytime tomorrow so will
: > report back. :-)

: My mom always cooks hers the day before and reheats in the microwave.

that might exeplain why you are not a big fan of fresh roasted turkey.
You may never have had it as a kid so got to not like turkey.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie > wrote:

: We will be going to my Son's house in Scottsdale. My DIL, really puts on a
: spread. She will have turkey, bread stuffing and cornbread sausage stuffing,
: mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with pecans, salad,fruit salad, corn
: casserole, green bean casserole, rolls, cranberries, and of course pumpkin
: pie. and a pumpkin cheesecake. Her brother will bring a ham.
: This is one time a year her family and our family join hands...she is
: Hispanic and allot of her family live in the Phoenix area, they will be
: there, as a couple of Aunts and cousins from Mexico...there will be a new
: baby we haven't met yet. Thank Goodness they have a big house. Wayne and I
: will go up Wednesday and come back Sunday...we used to do power shopping

See what I mean about EPPluribus Unim:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : >
> : > If I understood her correctly, she said she puts it in at midnight so
> it's
> : > ready when she gets up. I believe she must carve it up, refrigerate,
> and
> : > reheat in the gravy she makes from the juices. That was the only thing
> : > got out of it, because like you, I wondered how that freed the oven up
> : > too. I don't think the bird would still be hot when the oven is cool,
> but
> : > dunno for sure. I will be making mine in the daytime tomorrow so will
> : > report back. :-)
>
> : My mom always cooks hers the day before and reheats in the microwave.
>
> that might exeplain why you are not a big fan of fresh roasted turkey.
> You may never have had it as a kid so got to not like turkey.

Mostly if we had it at home as a kid it was that frozen stuff in gravy.
Once in a while my mom did a whole turkey. She tends to overcook the meat
and it is very dry. That is how I am used to eating meat. I can not eat
moist meat if it is served to me. Just doesn't seem right. But I don't
really like meat of any kind and I don't think I have beyond maybe age 2.
My mom said I loved meat when I was really little. I just can't imagine.

We did eat Thanksgiving dinner out a few times. I never liked to do that
either. There was no seconds of anything and there was always stuff on the
plate that nobody wanted to eat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-arcchive: yes

On 11/16/2012 9:14 PM, Cheri wrote:

> I've never heard you whine Susan, it sucks to be sick and have ongoing
> problems too. You need to be careful with that cold and the other things
> since pneumonia can be very deceptive as you know, feeling good one day
> (so overdoing it) and feeling like Hell the next. Know when to say when.
> OK, end of sermon. :-)

Good advice, I'm paying attention. That near death sepsis/pneumonia
really got my attention last time. Seriously. :-)

Susan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> there, as a couple of Aunts and cousins from Mexico...there will be a new
>> baby we haven't met yet. Thank Goodness they have a big house. Wayne and
>> I will go up Wednesday and come back Sunday...we used to do power
>> shopping while up there but that is out until I get a scooter, my Dr is
>> ready to fill out the paperwork, but I am waiting till we get our new SUV
>> in a few months so we will know what kind of lift to get. Anyways, we are
>> looking forward to our visit. I love the holidays especially if I don't
>> have to do the cooking

> Sounds like a grand time. I agree with you about the cooking. I don't care
> to do it for a huge crowd much anymore, though I used to love it.
> Sometimes I'm in the mood to do a lot of cooking, and enjoy a cooking day,
> but I don't really enjoy having to do it on a certain day or timeline as

I handed the Thanksgiving wand over to my DIL, and the Christmas Dinner wand
over to my Daughter a few years back....I can't stand long enough to cook
large meals anymore . It's really nice that I can go to their houses and not
have to do anything if I don't want to. I will usually help with prep if I
can do it sitting down . When we were in the AF and were stationed away
from home we always had friends over for holiday dinners, we would also
invite single guys from the barracks...we always had a full house...I just
love holidays

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> I'm doing the usual: My elderly mother will be coming down from NH to
> spend Wed-Sat with me, and my sister, her partner, and my teenaged niece
> will come down from Cambridge on Thursday for just the meal.
>
> The menu doesn't change much from year to year. I'll do:
>
> - a big roast turkey (over 20 lbs) with low-carb stuffing made from
> chopped walnuts, some low-carb bread, onions, garlic, ginger root,
> celery, fresh herbs from my garden, and minced giblets. I use the
> cheese cloth soaked in butter over the breast method and then start
> basting at about 1-1.5 hours.
> - 5 lbs of russets peeled, boiled, and mashed with butter and cream, s&p.
> - a load of steamed broccoli with butter and lemon.
> - squash medley (3-5 diff kinds) seasoned with butter, maple syrup,
> nutmeg, salt & pepper.
> - creamed onions with peanuts (in honor of my departed father)
> - sparkling cider or seltzer.
> - whole berry cranberry sauce made with about 1/2 the water and 1/2 the
> sugar as are in the recipe on the bag.
> - my own pickled peaches I put up last year.
>
> My sister's partner will make and bring a pumpkin pie for dessert.
>
> I'll send my sister's family home loaded down with leftovers but, I
> hope, not to the extent of robbing me of plenty.
>
> The next day I'll make my cranberry sauce sweetened w/erithrytol and
> cook up a nice big batch of rutabaga, then my mother and I will have
> leftover Thanksgiving dinner for supper.
>
> Happy family day to one and all!
>
> Priscilla
> --
> "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by
> means
> of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
> - Chris
> Malcolm

Sounds like a wonderful time for you and yours. Happy Thanksgiving Priscilla

Thanksgiving meal piedmont Barbecue 8 01-12-2009 07:31 PM
A Rather Odd Thanksgiving Meal jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 181 03-12-2008 03:18 PM
Our Thanksgiving meal :) Arri London General Cooking 24 29-11-2008 05:33 AM
Integrate a Few New Superfoods into Thanksgiving Meal Planning? DGJ General Cooking 11 12-11-2007 11:05 PM
Thanksgiving meal mostly original Amerindian stuff Wayne Lundberg Mexican Cooking 25 29-11-2006 06:38 AM