Old 15-11-2012, 10:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Thanksgiving meal.

Jacquie wrote:

: We will be going to my Son's house in Scottsdale. My DIL, really puts on a
: spread. She will have turkey, bread stuffing and cornbread sausage stuffing,
: mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with pecans, salad,fruit salad, corn
: casserole, green bean casserole, rolls, cranberries, and of course pumpkin
: pie. and a pumpkin cheesecake. Her brother will bring a ham.
: This is one time a year her family and our family join hands...she is
: Hispanic and allot of her family live in the Phoenix area, they will be
: there, as a couple of Aunts and cousins from Mexico...there will be a new
: baby we haven't met yet. Thank Goodness they have a big house. Wayne and I
: will go up Wednesday and come back Sunday...we used to do power shopping

See what I mean about EPPluribus Unim:-)

Wendy

Old 15-11-2012, 10:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

:
: If I understood her correctly, she said she puts it in at midnight so
it's
: ready when she gets up. I believe she must carve it up, refrigerate,
and
: reheat in the gravy she makes from the juices. That was the only thing
: got out of it, because like you, I wondered how that freed the oven up
: too. I don't think the bird would still be hot when the oven is cool,
but
: dunno for sure. I will be making mine in the daytime tomorrow so will
: report back. :-)

: My mom always cooks hers the day before and reheats in the microwave.

that might exeplain why you are not a big fan of fresh roasted turkey.
You may never have had it as a kid so got to not like turkey.

Mostly if we had it at home as a kid it was that frozen stuff in gravy.
Once in a while my mom did a whole turkey. She tends to overcook the meat
and it is very dry. That is how I am used to eating meat. I can not eat
moist meat if it is served to me. Just doesn't seem right. But I don't
really like meat of any kind and I don't think I have beyond maybe age 2.
My mom said I loved meat when I was really little. I just can't imagine.

We did eat Thanksgiving dinner out a few times. I never liked to do that
either. There was no seconds of anything and there was always stuff on the
plate that nobody wanted to eat.

Old 17-11-2012, 03:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-arcchive: yes

On 11/16/2012 9:14 PM, Cheri wrote:

I've never heard you whine Susan, it sucks to be sick and have ongoing
problems too. You need to be careful with that cold and the other things
since pneumonia can be very deceptive as you know, feeling good one day
(so overdoing it) and feeling like Hell the next. Know when to say when.
OK, end of sermon. :-)

Good advice, I'm paying attention. That near death sepsis/pneumonia
really got my attention last time. Seriously. :-)

Susan
Old 18-11-2012, 03:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Jacquie" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
This year is going to be kind of weird. Most likely my dad will still
be in the rehab place. They will be serving Thanksgiving dinner and
guests can eat there, for a few of course. However my brother, SIL and
mom will be eating at a restaurant. My nephew may also join them. Not
sure. But the meal this place is serving is not something Angela and I
can eat. Yes we could have the turkey or the ham (except that we don't
eat ham) but really everything else is off limits either because of our
food intolerances or the South Beach diet.

So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like the
South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
mushrooms, celery and onions with a small amount of whole wheat bread
cubes, broth and seasonings. The original recipe calls for something I
can't have. I can't remember what that was. I left it out and it was
fine. Might have been Worcestershire sauce. Whatever it was, it was a
small amount. I've been buying the Kirkland (Costco) brand sliced
turkey breast. It's much cheaper than the stuff I usually buy when we
have Thanksgiving at home and we're fine with it so we'll have that.
Boxed gluten free and dairy free gravy. We don't even need the GF any
more but I can't have the dairy. Canned green beans. Probably some
olives. We both like olives. The only special thing that we will have
is some baked apples. I will probably just buy extra of the sliced
apples from Costco and bake them with a little cinnamon. I don't think
they'll need any sweetener.

Must look for some festive paper plates. Yes, that is what we use. Or
maybe the fancy plastic disposable kind. I'll let Angela pick. We
usually get some fancy plastic cutlery too. Angela likes the silver
colored stuff.

Will be weird to have just the two of us this year. Even when my
husband is home I have to go to greater lengths for the meal than I
normally would. But he likes the legs only so I usually do a whole
crock-pot full of those. And I buy and/or make various finger foods for
him because he eats while watching football. But we won't need to do
that now.

I might try to give Bali and Jazzy a little turkey. Bali might eat it.
She did eat a little bit of chicken once. But Jazzy seems to only like
tuna. Maui used to love the Thanksgiving meal. I always gave her a
little plate of turkey and some mashed potatoes. She loved potatoes.
These two will sniff the human food but generally they don't eat it.

We will be going to my Son's house in Scottsdale. My DIL, really puts on
a spread. She will have turkey, bread stuffing and cornbread sausage
stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with pecans, salad,fruit salad,
corn casserole, green bean casserole, rolls, cranberries, and of course
pumpkin pie. and a pumpkin cheesecake. Her brother will bring a ham.
This is one time a year her family and our family join hands...she is
Hispanic and allot of her family live in the Phoenix area, they will be
there, as a couple of Aunts and cousins from Mexico...there will be a new
baby we haven't met yet. Thank Goodness they have a big house. Wayne and
I will go up Wednesday and come back Sunday...we used to do power
shopping while up there but that is out until I get a scooter, my Dr is
ready to fill out the paperwork, but I am waiting till we get our new SUV
in a few months so we will know what kind of lift to get. Anyways, we are
looking forward to our visit. I love the holidays especially if I don't
have to do the cooking

Sounds like a grand time. I agree with you about the cooking. I don't care
to do it for a huge crowd much anymore, though I used to love it.
Sometimes I'm in the mood to do a lot of cooking, and enjoy a cooking day,
but I don't really enjoy having to do it on a certain day or timeline as
much as I used to.

Cheri

I handed the Thanksgiving wand over to my DIL, and the Christmas Dinner wand
over to my Daughter a few years back....I can't stand long enough to cook
large meals anymore . It's really nice that I can go to their houses and not
have to do anything if I don't want to. I will usually help with prep if I
can do it sitting down . When we were in the AF and were stationed away
from home we always had friends over for holiday dinners, we would also
invite single guys from the barracks...we always had a full house...I just
love holidays

Old 18-11-2012, 03:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
I'm doing the usual: My elderly mother will be coming down from NH to
spend Wed-Sat with me, and my sister, her partner, and my teenaged niece
will come down from Cambridge on Thursday for just the meal.

The menu doesn't change much from year to year. I'll do:

- a big roast turkey (over 20 lbs) with low-carb stuffing made from
chopped walnuts, some low-carb bread, onions, garlic, ginger root,
celery, fresh herbs from my garden, and minced giblets. I use the
cheese cloth soaked in butter over the breast method and then start
basting at about 1-1.5 hours.
- 5 lbs of russets peeled, boiled, and mashed with butter and cream, s&p.
- a load of steamed broccoli with butter and lemon.
- squash medley (3-5 diff kinds) seasoned with butter, maple syrup,
nutmeg, salt & pepper.
- creamed onions with peanuts (in honor of my departed father)
- sparkling cider or seltzer.
- whole berry cranberry sauce made with about 1/2 the water and 1/2 the
sugar as are in the recipe on the bag.
- my own pickled peaches I put up last year.

My sister's partner will make and bring a pumpkin pie for dessert.

I'll send my sister's family home loaded down with leftovers but, I
hope, not to the extent of robbing me of plenty.

The next day I'll make my cranberry sauce sweetened w/erithrytol and
cook up a nice big batch of rutabaga, then my mother and I will have
leftover Thanksgiving dinner for supper.

Happy family day to one and all!

Priscilla
--
"What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by
means

Sounds like a wonderful time for you and yours. Happy Thanksgiving Priscilla

Thanksgiving meal piedmont Barbecue 8 01-12-2009 06:31 PM
A Rather Odd Thanksgiving Meal jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 181 03-12-2008 02:18 PM
Our Thanksgiving meal :) Arri London General Cooking 24 29-11-2008 04:33 AM
Integrate a Few New Superfoods into Thanksgiving Meal Planning? DGJ General Cooking 11 12-11-2007 10:05 PM
Thanksgiving meal mostly original Amerindian stuff Wayne Lundberg Mexican Cooking 25 29-11-2006 05:38 AM