Old 15-11-2012, 03:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Thanksgiving meal.

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Cheri wrote:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
: .
:
: So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like
the
: South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
: mushrooms,
: .

: Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
: pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
: Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham
for
: Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss.
Cauliflower
: casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny,
like
: pumpkin custard.
: That's it.

: Cheri

I am invited to my son's for Thanksgiving this year, but, as requested, I
will supply the cranberry sauce (no sugar aded) and the desserts, an apply
either one crust(upper or crumble no sugar added, and a pumpkin pie with a
nut crust and no added sugar. there are several diabetics at this dinner,
so these are especially appreciated. My D-I-L makes a lovely suash and
pear soup that she usually serves adn will roast a lovely turkey with some
trimmings,. there wilbe a stuffing(cooked out ot the bird) and a salad an
d vegetables adn perhaps potatoes but I am not sure.

To me, thanksgiving is aboaut a whole lot of things, not only stuffing
your face, but being with family and friends and realizing that it
epitomizes our US motto, E Pluribus Unim(from many -one, as no matter
where we or our ancestors came from, no matter what our religion or
not, we are all Americans together. The way we serve ot dinner
illusrates this as different ethnicities use different side dishes with
teh turkey, lassagna in many Italian homes, and sweet potato pie in many
southern homes, while many of us do pumpkin pie(in the case of Kosher
Jews, prepared with soy or almond or some non-milk milk, etc. I also know
of some vegetarians who make a tofu turkey!

Let's us all just enoy out diversity and unity as we celebrate this great
holiday.

Wendy

Sounds like a relaxing Thanksgiving for you and yours Cheri...enjoy

Old 15-11-2012, 03:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Karen" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:56:26 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
.

So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like
the
South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
mushrooms,
.

Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham
for
Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss. Cauliflower
casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny,
like
pumpkin custard.
That's it.

Cheri

So, I'm curious. How did Trisha Yearwood cook the turkey?

I watched her do it on her cooking show, and it looked good, and she said
it always turns out wonderful and leaves the oven free for other stuff.
Dunno, so will try it. I'm not really such a huge fan of Turkey other than
sandwiches which I really don't eat much anymore, so if it turns out to be
not as good as it could be, it will be turned into dog food. :-)

7 hr 10 min.
Prep10 min.
Cook7 hr 0 min.
Yield:10 to 12 servings .

Ingredients
1/2 stick salted butter, softened
One 12-pound turkey, completely thawed and all giblets removed
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
2 stalks celery, cut in lengths to fit turkey cavity .
1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut in half
1 large carrot, cut in lengths to fit the turkey cavity
2 cups boiling water

Directions:

Adjust the oven racks so the covered roasting pan fit easily inside.
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.

Rub the butter on the outside and in the cavity of the turkey. Sprinkle
the salt and pepper on the inside and the outside of the turkey. Put the
celery, onion and carrot in the cavity. Place the turkey, breast-side up,
in a large roasting pan. Pour the boiling water into the pan. Cover with a
tight-fitting lid and put the pan in the oven.

Start a timer when the oven temperature returns to 500 degrees F.

Bake for exactly 1 hour and turn off the oven.

Do not open the oven door!

Leave the turkey in the oven until the oven completely cools; this may
take 4 to 6 hours.
Reserve the pan juices and refrigerate the turkey if it will not be served
soon after roasting.

Did the turkey brown in that steam?

Old 15-11-2012, 04:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
This year is going to be kind of weird. Most likely my dad will still be
in the rehab place. They will be serving Thanksgiving dinner and guests
can eat there, for a few of course. However my brother, SIL and mom will
be eating at a restaurant. My nephew may also join them. Not sure. But
the meal this place is serving is not something Angela and I can eat.
Yes we could have the turkey or the ham (except that we don't eat ham)
but really everything else is off limits either because of our food
intolerances or the South Beach diet.

So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like the
South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
mushrooms, celery and onions with a small amount of whole wheat bread
cubes, broth and seasonings. The original recipe calls for something I
can't have. I can't remember what that was. I left it out and it was
fine. Might have been Worcestershire sauce. Whatever it was, it was a
small amount. I've been buying the Kirkland (Costco) brand sliced turkey
breast. It's much cheaper than the stuff I usually buy when we have
Thanksgiving at home and we're fine with it so we'll have that. Boxed
gluten free and dairy free gravy. We don't even need the GF any more but
I can't have the dairy. Canned green beans. Probably some olives. We
both like olives. The only special thing that we will have is some baked
apples. I will probably just buy extra of the sliced apples from Costco
and bake them with a little cinnamon. I don't think they'll need any
sweetener.

Must look for some festive paper plates. Yes, that is what we use. Or
maybe the fancy plastic disposable kind. I'll let Angela pick. We
usually get some fancy plastic cutlery too. Angela likes the silver
colored stuff.

Will be weird to have just the two of us this year. Even when my husband
is home I have to go to greater lengths for the meal than I normally
would. But he likes the legs only so I usually do a whole crock-pot full
of those. And I buy and/or make various finger foods for him because he
eats while watching football. But we won't need to do that now.

I might try to give Bali and Jazzy a little turkey. Bali might eat it.
She did eat a little bit of chicken once. But Jazzy seems to only like
tuna. Maui used to love the Thanksgiving meal. I always gave her a
little plate of turkey and some mashed potatoes. She loved potatoes.
These two will sniff the human food but generally they don't eat it.

We will be going to my Son's house in Scottsdale. My DIL, really puts on a
spread. She will have turkey, bread stuffing and cornbread sausage
stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with pecans, salad,fruit salad,
corn casserole, green bean casserole, rolls, cranberries, and of course
pumpkin pie. and a pumpkin cheesecake. Her brother will bring a ham.
This is one time a year her family and our family join hands...she is
Hispanic and allot of her family live in the Phoenix area, they will be
there, as a couple of Aunts and cousins from Mexico...there will be a new
baby we haven't met yet. Thank Goodness they have a big house. Wayne and I
will go up Wednesday and come back Sunday...we used to do power shopping
while up there but that is out until I get a scooter, my Dr is ready to
fill out the paperwork, but I am waiting till we get our new SUV in a few
months so we will know what kind of lift to get. Anyways, we are looking
forward to our visit. I love the holidays especially if I don't have to do
the cooking

Holidays are usually very stressful for me but since we're not doing a meal
out of the ordinary, except for the apples, it shouldn't be this year.

Old 15-11-2012, 04:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:13:29 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
.

[...]

`
I'm not following. How does this leave the oven free for other things
if you have to leave the turkey in the oven till the oven completely
cools? Did I miss something? It sounds like a really easy way to
prepare it though. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 15-11-2012, 06:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a grand time. I agree with you about the cooking. I don't care
to do it for a huge crowd much anymore, though I used to love it. Sometimes
I'm in the mood to do a lot of cooking, and enjoy a cooking day, but I don't
really enjoy having to do it on a certain day or timeline as much as I used
to.

Cheri

Old 15-11-2012, 07:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message

Sounds like a relaxing Thanksgiving for you and yours Cheri...enjoy

My daughters moved far away, my oldest in Chicago, my middle daughter in
Alabama, and most of my grandchildren gone too. I'm in CA. I do have one
granddaughter within 50 miles of me and 2 great grandchilren but they're
traveling to LA, and my son and twin grandsons are within a 100 miles of us.
They're going elsewhere this year, and did invite us to the in-laws, but
don't really feel like it. They will probably stop by later in the evening
on their way back to their home from the Bay Area. Happy Thanksgiving to you
and yours Jacquie. I feel really bad for being lazy and just watching
football with good snacks etc. ;-)

Cheri

Old 15-11-2012, 07:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message

wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
.

[...]

It looked like it did, not really crisp looking though, but she was more
focused on the dressing her mom used to make and didn't take the bird out of
the pan. I got a fresh 12 pound turkey today and am going to try it
tomorrow. DH loves any kind of turkey, so I told him we'll have your
Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, and mine next week. If the turkey turns out
bad, can always be made into dog food, mixed with veggies and frozen. :-) On
a side note, I have one of those old Lisk roasters that self bastes, so
really am unsure how it will turn out. Will report back.

Cheri

Old 15-11-2012, 07:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:13:29 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
.

[...]

If I understood her correctly, she said she puts it in at midnight so it's
ready when she gets up. I believe she must carve it up, refrigerate, and
reheat in the gravy she makes from the juices. That was the only thing I got
out of it, because like you, I wondered how that freed the oven up too. I
don't think the bird would still be hot when the oven is cool, but dunno for
sure. I will be making mine in the daytime tomorrow so will report back. :-)

Cheri

Old 15-11-2012, 07:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
.

[...]

My mom always cooks hers the day before and reheats in the microwave.

Old 15-11-2012, 07:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Karen" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:13:29 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
.

[...]

My mom used to make it a day ahead sometimes if we were having a large
crowd, not in a microwave because they weren't invented yet, but put in a
large pan with gravy and rewarm in the oven. I know it's a lot of fun for
people to have the whole turkey presented on the table, including me in the
old days, since I love the crisp skin, but it's definitely easier to prepare
and carve in advance, and then reheat. That's why the Salvation Army and
others serve it that way for a crowd.

Cheri

Old 15-11-2012, 03:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 23:14:10 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
.

[...]

Okay. That makes more sense. I know someone else who roasts the
turkey overnight in a low temp oven.
Old 15-11-2012, 05:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" wrote in message

Okay. That makes more sense. I know someone else who roasts the
turkey overnight in a low temp oven.

Got the turkey in the oven at 500 degrees right now for the hour of cooking
required before turning the oven off, it really smells good!!! Will report
when it's finished later this afternoon.

Cheri

Old 15-11-2012, 08:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I'm doing the usual: My elderly mother will be coming down from NH to
spend Wed-Sat with me, and my sister, her partner, and my teenaged niece
will come down from Cambridge on Thursday for just the meal.

The menu doesn't change much from year to year. I'll do:

- a big roast turkey (over 20 lbs) with low-carb stuffing made from
chopped walnuts, some low-carb bread, onions, garlic, ginger root,
celery, fresh herbs from my garden, and minced giblets. I use the
cheese cloth soaked in butter over the breast method and then start
basting at about 1-1.5 hours.
- 5 lbs of russets peeled, boiled, and mashed with butter and cream, s&p.
- a load of steamed broccoli with butter and lemon.
- squash medley (3-5 diff kinds) seasoned with butter, maple syrup,
nutmeg, salt & pepper.
- creamed onions with peanuts (in honor of my departed father)
- sparkling cider or seltzer.
- whole berry cranberry sauce made with about 1/2 the water and 1/2 the
sugar as are in the recipe on the bag.
- my own pickled peaches I put up last year.

My sister's partner will make and bring a pumpkin pie for dessert.

I'll send my sister's family home loaded down with leftovers but, I
hope, not to the extent of robbing me of plenty.

The next day I'll make my cranberry sauce sweetened w/erithrytol and
cook up a nice big batch of rutabaga, then my mother and I will have
leftover Thanksgiving dinner for supper.

Happy family day to one and all!

Priscilla
- Chris Malcolm
Old 15-11-2012, 10:42 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
: "Jacquie" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Cheri" wrote in message
: ...
: "Karen" wrote in message
: ...
: On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:56:26 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
: wrote:
:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
: .
:
[...]

You can alwys use parts for making soup or stock that you can freeze for
later. there are also lots of dishes to make that you cna use cooked
turkey fo like cooked chicken recipes, from chic(turkey) salad to thisng
with tomato sauce or ccream sauce kind of thins with interesting
seasonings like curry or whatever you like. You really dna make nice
people food form steamed turkey or chicken:-)

Wendy
Old 15-11-2012, 10:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

:
: If I understood her correctly, she said she puts it in at midnight so it's
: ready when she gets up. I believe she must carve it up, refrigerate, and
: reheat in the gravy she makes from the juices. That was the only thing I
: got out of it, because like you, I wondered how that freed the oven up
: too. I don't think the bird would still be hot when the oven is cool, but
: dunno for sure. I will be making mine in the daytime tomorrow so will
: report back. :-)

: My mom always cooks hers the day before and reheats in the microwave.

that might exeplain why you are not a big fan of fresh roasted turkey.
You may never have had it as a kid so got to not like turkey.

Wendy

Thanksgiving meal piedmont Barbecue 8 01-12-2009 06:31 PM
A Rather Odd Thanksgiving Meal jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 181 03-12-2008 02:18 PM
Our Thanksgiving meal :) Arri London General Cooking 24 29-11-2008 04:33 AM
Integrate a Few New Superfoods into Thanksgiving Meal Planning? DGJ General Cooking 11 12-11-2007 10:05 PM
Thanksgiving meal mostly original Amerindian stuff Wayne Lundberg Mexican Cooking 25 29-11-2006 05:38 AM