Old 22-10-2012, 01:58 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Are you ready for Halloween?

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Cheri" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:
[ . . . . ]
So do you have anything special planned at your house?

I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

Have a great trip Nick, and behave or Jun will throttle you. ;-)

Thanks, Cheri. You know who's the boss, eh? We'll be visiting our
ranch,
family and friends, with side jaunts to Laos and Burma. Should be back
the
end of January.

Have fun, I would love to go to Burma.

Old 22-10-2012, 03:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:
[ . . . . ]
So do you have anything special planned at your house?

I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

Have a great trip Nick, and behave or Jun will throttle you. ;-)

Thanks, Cheri. You know who's the boss, eh? We'll be visiting our ranch,
family and friends, with side jaunts to Laos and Burma. Should be back the
end of January.

Sounds like a great trip Nick. I envy you and Jun. :-)

Cheri

Old 22-10-2012, 03:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
We usually go all out with the decorating but I just didn't feel like
doing it this year. Especially since after that long dry spell we are
now having a lot of rain.

Last year, Angela was envious of the orange spider webs that the
neighbors had. We just had the plain white. Of course I couldn't find
any until after Halloween and they were marked down quite a bit. We
bought purple, orange and green. And apparently far too many!

I decided to put up some of the decorations after Angela said she didn't
want to. But I did make her put the little pumpkins that she wanted out
on the front step.

I only used one bag of the purple web. It really did stretch quite a
long ways. And I put up all of the huge spiders that we have bought
over the years. I also put up the ghost and pumpkin lights, the black
cats by the door and the bats and the one sparkly purple hanging spider
on the Rhodie by the door. I do have some battery operated things that
I may put out on Halloween night. Or I may not, depending on my mood.

We opted for candy this year since we really have no use for toys any
more. And the last couple of years we didn't get as many kids as we have
in the past. So I wanted to buy something I could eat in case I had
hypos. I bought the same Twizzlers (at least I think they're the same)
as I ODed on last year when I bought them after Halloween. I had a hypo
at the dance studio and wound up eating far too many.

Angela sent her dad a Halloween package and we opened the Twizzlers and
put some in. Then I got into them. They were beyond horrible! I just
hope the kids like them because I sure did not. Not even the plain red
ones. There are some super sour ones in there. Perhaps they damaged my
taste buds. So... No worries about me getting into them and eating
them. And once of Angela's teachers asked that if we had any leftover
candy to give it to her. She took over for another teacher last year and
much to our dismay, he was in the habit of giving out candy to people
all the time. He even offered it to us on parent's night. Angela said
he ate quite a lot of it himself. So the students in this class are
accustomed to getting treats. And she said she could not afford to give
out candy like the prior teacher did. So if we do have any left, I will
send it in to her.

I do not have a special meal planned this year. I usually only plan to
make something quick to fix and eat but that is less of a problem for me
now that Angela has taken over passing out the treats. I do have some
Halloween patterned paper plates and some black plastic flatware. That
is our tradition. And I bought new toy mice for Bali and Jazzy. I had
better buy a new package of dog treats too. Angela likes to keep dog
treats by the door although I don't think we have had any dogs come by
here. When we lived in military housing it was common for people to
walk their dogs on Halloween and they would get treats too.

So do you have anything special planned at your house?

No, we don't do the candy thing anymore. We used to give the neighborhood
kids 5.00 each for the past few years, but now we're down to 3 teenagers
who drive, so won't do anything. Most of the kids, tweens, etc. go to
private parties now.

I'd go broke if I did that! I lost track of how many kids we had last
year but it was at least 50. Probably a lot more. When we first moved
here there were around 200. But with the economy being so bad, most of
the families who live around here have had to move into apartments. And
the many of the kids who do come in are driven here by their parents. I
think they remember our house because we usually do go all out with the
decorations. I also think the trend here is more going to parties and
such. More and more businesses are doing things.

There weren't that many kids in the neighborhood, and really for the last
few years very few TorTers. None in quite awhile now. We live on a street
that pretty dark and also just a high school in the vicinity. Now, I just
lock the gate and that's it. :-)

Cheri

Old 22-10-2012, 03:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Oh. We have no gate and there is no way to turn our outside lights off.
They are on a sensor.

Old 22-10-2012, 03:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

I have a 4 foot wrought iron fence around my front yard. Really had to have
it installed a few years ago because the high school kids kept driving their
cars over my yard making a total mess of it, especially in wet weather.

Cheri

Old 22-10-2012, 10:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Ew. They just put trash in my trees here.

Old 23-10-2012, 02:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Well that sucks too, the little bastids! LOL

Cheri

Old 24-10-2012, 04:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

When we lived on base and in developments I went all out with the
decorating . Hubby would wear a costume and sit outside and give out
candy and scare a few kids in the process. We now live out in the middle
of the desert where most property is 5 acres or more...and not street
lights...actually we have no streets just bumpy dirt roads. so don't get
any witches or goblins knocking at our door anymore...I always have a bag
of candy just in case...and hubby will take it to work with him to share
.

Yes! They didn't seem to do that on Cape Cod or in CA, but in NY it was
warm and I guess because we all lived in 3 story apartment buildings, we
set up things outside so that the kids didn't have to do all the stairs.
They really went all out with the decorations and people played the spooky
music. We'd make our dinner and sit outside.

I tried to do that here. I did actually do it one year and it was warm
enough to do it. But often it is just too cold to do that and this year
is going to be one of those years. Much easier for us to be able to sit
outside than to have to keep answering the door. They always seem to come
when I decide to use the bathroom or something.

When we lived in Alaska, the kids walked in two feet of snow...hubby still
sat outside with a big Parka and face paint...sat on our swing next to a
life sized clown...Of course the end of October was still sweater weather in
AK...LOL.

Old 24-10-2012, 05:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

I remember going out in Wichita. We had to wear a coat over our costumes.
I never understood why my mom didn't just come up with a costume that
involved a coat. Like...um...an Eskimo?

Old 25-10-2012, 09:09 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Yup. All ready. I have plans that evening and won't get home until the
gangs of kids are gone.

Normal evening. No highly concentrated carbs in the house.

PP
- Chris Malcolm

Old 25-10-2012, 11:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article
,
Peppermint Patootie wrote:

Yup. All ready. I have plans that evening and won't get home until the
gangs of kids are gone.

Normal evening. No highly concentrated carbs in the house.

I need to make some plans like that, I think!

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Old 26-10-2012, 07:06 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Alice Faber wrote:

In article
,
Peppermint Patootie wrote:

Yup. All ready. I have plans that evening and won't get home until the
gangs of kids are gone.

Normal evening. No highly concentrated carbs in the house.

I need to make some plans like that, I think!

There have been years I've turned out all the lights and hoped they
didn't see the glow of the TV in the back room.

I just don't feel right about giving kids stuff that is essentially
poison.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Old 26-10-2012, 09:53 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: In article ,
: Alice Faber wrote:

: In article
: ,
: Peppermint Patootie wrote:
:
: Yup. All ready. I have plans that evening and won't get home until the
: gangs of kids are gone.
:
: Normal evening. No highly concentrated carbs in the house.
:
:
: I need to make some plans like that, I think!

: There have been years I've turned out all the lights and hoped they
: didn't see the glow of the TV in the back room.

: I just don't feel right about giving kids stuff that is essentially
: poison.

: PP
: --
: "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
: of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
: - Chris Malcolm

I remember my first year after I married and I gt small apples and litlle
spinning toys for hte kids. The younger ones were delighted, but the
older ones felt a bit gypped(sp?) as they wanted CANDY.
That was before all the razor blade stories that eliminated fresh fruit
from the trick or treat basket.

Wendy

Old 26-10-2012, 10:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: In article ,
: Alice Faber wrote:

: In article
: ,
: Peppermint Patootie wrote:
:
[...]

I have given out stuffed animals and rubber ducks. Most seem to love those.
But we always do get a small percentage of adult that I think are just
looking for food! Last year we gave out 100% fruit snacks. They did seem
to love those but we bought too many and had a lot left. As they turned out
they were super sticky to eat and I didn't like them for that reason. The
others I do really like are quite expensive. About $3.00 for 6 of them and
sadly addictive to Angela so I can't bring them into the house.

Old 27-10-2012, 06:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

why not hive them something you'd eat as a treat like dark chocolate bites?

Ghirardelli or however you spell it has wrapped bit size chocolates that for
sure are NOT poison..lol

KROM

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote ...