Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Lamb season(ed)

Found a recipe for lamb stew and tried it, yum:

3 lbs lamb, any cut, in bite pieces or larger
2 cloves garlic, chopped
10 shallots, whole, peeled

Butter or oil for frying
1 can tomatoes, or equiv. fresh, peeled tomatoes
1 can beans in tomato sauce (drained?)
1 cup red wine

salt, pepper. dried thyme, bay leaf

Saute meat, garlic and shallots in iron pot until meat is lightly browned.
Add tomatoes and spices, bring to boil.
Add wine, turn down heat and simmer for an hour.
Add beans and simmer for another half hour,

Next time I will use a little corn starch at the end to thicken the stew a
bit more, I suppose the beans were meant to thicken the stew, but then they
should be drained first.

My wife and daughter had potatoes on the side, which I skipped. Forgot to
buy barley "rice" today - would have been nice. OTOH, we put away the rest
of the wine :-)

A votre santé!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
[...]

This looks delicious. One hint, if you add the potatoes to the stew
halved unpeeled(use smallish red ones) they are easy to pick out for the
diabetics and might well silightly thinken the stew without the need for
the cornstarch. You might also use unsauced beans as there are already
tomatoes in the stew and drain them well, even rinsing them if you want to
reduce salt.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

> Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
> : Found a recipe for lamb stew and tried it, yum:
>

> : 3 lbs lamb, any cut, in bite pieces or larger
> : 2 cloves garlic, chopped
> : 10 shallots, whole, peeled
>
> : Butter or oil for frying
> : 1 can tomatoes, or equiv. fresh, peeled tomatoes
> : 1 can beans in tomato sauce (drained?)
> : 1 cup red wine
>
> : salt, pepper. dried thyme, bay leaf
>
> : Saute meat, garlic and shallots in iron pot until meat is lightly
> : browned. Add tomatoes and spices, bring to boil.
> : Add wine, turn down heat and simmer for an hour.
> : Add beans and simmer for another half hour,
>
> : Next time I will use a little corn starch at the end to thicken the stew
> : a bit more, I suppose the beans were meant to thicken the stew, but then
> : they should be drained first.
>
> : My wife and daughter had potatoes on the side, which I skipped. Forgot
> : to buy barley "rice" today - would have been nice. OTOH, we put away the
> : rest of the wine :-)
>
> : A votre sant?!
>
> This looks delicious. One hint, if you add the potatoes to the stew
> halved unpeeled(use smallish red ones) they are easy to pick out for the
> diabetics and might well silightly thinken the stew without the need for
> the cornstarch. You might also use unsauced beans as there are already
> tomatoes in the stew and drain them well, even rinsing them if you want to
> reduce salt.
>
> Wendy

Thanks!

I wonder - it is said that cooked potatoes get lower GI when cooled down,
even when re-heated? There's leftovers today, I think I'll try :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:

: > Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: > : Found a recipe for lamb stew and tried it, yum:
: >
: >
[...]

If you do tryone, do test afterwards and let us know the result for you!
Wendy