FoodBanter.com

-   -   Do you feel that you must eat foods you know you should not? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/419621-do-you-feel-you.html)

Julie Bove[_2_] 02-09-2012 04:15 AM

Do you feel that you must eat foods you know you should not?

I don't really get this. Yes, once in a while I do a bad thing. Like when
I ODed on the Swedish Fish. And before you decide to make nasty comments
about that, and you know who you are, that was several years ago. I have
learned that there are just certain things I can not bring into the house
ever. And perhaps some things that if I do bring them into the house can
only be purchased in small quantities. Anyway...

Once again we have a family birthday celebration. For the last one, I was
told that there would be fruit purchased for Angela. I think perhaps some
people in the family thought that Angela wanted fruit because for her
birthday I got her one of those edible arrangements. It actually wasn't
really the fruit that she wanted but the special, pretty thing that most
people probably never get. She didn't even eat much of the fruit. Just a
few pieces. And I had tried to get one that didn't contain anything she
couldn't eat but sadly there was pineapple on it.

Anyway... For the last birthday, the family member told us that fruit had
been purchased for Angela. It was described as a fruit platter. This upset
Angela somewhat because almost always those fruit platters contain fruit
that she loves but isn't on her diet. She is not allowed to have raisins,
pineapple or watermelon. And she loves pineapple and watermelon which is
what this fruit platter mostly was. So she was pretty unhappy to have to
have that sitting right in front of her. She wasn't hungry and she didn't
want any fruit. But she was pushed and pushed and pushed and she finally
took two pieces of melon.

So now this same family member said she wasn't going to have anything to do
with the food for this birthday and that my brother and I would have to sort
it out. He contacted me and asked me what we wanted to eat? I did ask my
husband and Angela. Both said they wanted nothing. Fine. With us anyway.
But not with this other family member. Currently we are all having dietary
issues. So the way I see it, the rest of the family should be fine with it
if we say that we do not want dessert. But no. We are being pushed and
pushed and pushed. Well not me so much because I think by now they all know
that I say that I do not want to eat dessert. I don't think they believe me
in any way shape or form and they keep trying to tempt me with things but
all that does is make me angry.

So I was told to get something anyway. Seeing as how my husband's birthday
is among what we are celebrating. And past experience has taught me that
nobody in the family wants to take home any extra dessert, including us!
Because if it is here, my husband will eat it. And he is trying not to eat
that sort of stuff. So I told my brother that I would get something for
him. And what I bought is a piece of something called "Two Person Cake".
To me it looks like it would feed 4 or 6 but then I don't like cake. I also
picked up a small lemon cake and a small pan of frosted brownies because I
knew that the food pusher relative loves these things. She has since seen
them and is very pleased about it. But that just wasn't good enough.

Tonight she called and insisted that she was going to get some fruit for
Angela. I said, no. Please do not do that. Angela does not want any
fruit. We went shopping yesterday and again today and I asked her both
times about the fruit. She did not want it. I don't blame her. Like me,
she is just not hungry at about 2 hours after dinner and does not want to
eat. Anyway... This person snapped at me over the phone and demanded,
"Well then what DOES she want to eat?" And I said, "Nothing. I asked her.
We both want nothing." Then she snapped at me in a very angry tone of
voice, "Well! That's just no fun!" *sigh*

I just don't know how to put an end to this and it would seem that I
probably can not. One person who will be coming is thin. Really thin. As
in, getting medical attention for it. The other is a fairly normal weight
to perhaps slightly thin. Had to tell really because this person wears
baggy clothes. But this person doesn't really like sweets, like me. And
for some odd reason, people don't seem to get angry with him when he
declines the sweets. I just really don't get that. But the others? All
overweight to grossly obese. All either diabetic, pre-diabetic or at least
have some sort of issue to where they should not be eating sweets. But as
usual, they will not only eat them but eat a lot of them. And then they
will complain because they did so.

So I guess I just don't get where the fun part comes in. How is it fun to
eat something that you know you should not eat? Especially when you are
going to have pain or guilt or even in some cases, actual illness
afterwards? I could see it I guess if they felt the need to have some sort
of festive food and then everyone could take a fork and take a bite of it.
That would actually make sense to me because not much harm would have been
done. But that's not what they're going to do.

I also don't understand why we are being so bad or wrong or whatever they
think we are being by declining the food. It's not like the person who is
taking offense actually cooked or baked the food. It's all purchased stuff.
*sigh*

Cheri[_3_] 02-09-2012 06:15 AM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> But as usual, they will not only eat them but eat a lot of them. And then
> they will complain because they did so.
>
> So I guess I just don't get where the fun part comes in. How is it fun to
> eat something that you know you should not eat? Especially when you are
> going to have pain or guilt or even in some cases, actual illness
> afterwards? I could see it I guess if they felt the need to have some
> sort of festive food and then everyone could take a fork and take a bite
> of it. That would actually make sense to me because not much harm would
> have been done. But that's not what they're going to do.
>
> I also don't understand why we are being so bad or wrong or whatever they
> think we are being by declining the food. It's not like the person who is
> taking offense actually cooked or baked the food. It's all purchased

Just tell them that instead of all of that purchased stuff, like brownies,
two person cakes, lemon cakes, etc. you
will spend the money on your health insurance and everyone will be much
healthier.

Cheri

Julie Bove[_2_] 02-09-2012 06:51 AM

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> to eat something that you know you should not eat? Especially when you
>> are going to have pain or guilt or even in some cases, actual illness
>> afterwards? I could see it I guess if they felt the need to have some
>> sort of festive food and then everyone could take a fork and take a bite
>> of it. That would actually make sense to me because not much harm would
>> have been done. But that's not what they're going to do.
>>
>> I also don't understand why we are being so bad or wrong or whatever they
>> think we are being by declining the food. It's not like the person who
>> is taking offense actually cooked or baked the food. It's all purchased
>> stuff. *sigh*

> Just tell them that instead of all of that purchased stuff, like brownies,
> two person cakes, lemon cakes, etc. you
> will spend the money on your health insurance and everyone will be much

Ha! I wish! The food pusher did offer to pay me back. But we bought the
food at Winco so it really didn't cost much.

I do sometimes think that I have a touch of Orthorexia though. When I was
putting the food away that I bought today, I was thinking how if one of
those people that goes through the fridge and tells you what you could do
better...such as you sometimes see on various TV shows were to see my
fridge, they would be pleased.

We do seem to be going through fruit at an alarming rate, but... I do know
that most fruit is one of the best things to be eating for gout and since my
husband is suffering from that I am not going to say anything now. He will
be leaving soon enough and then I'll get some fridge space back.

They wouldn't find any junk food at all in my fridge.

Billy[_9_] 03-09-2012 06:43 AM

Do you feel that you must eat foods you know you should not?

<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/magazine/22wwlnlede.t.html>

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Julie Bove[_2_] 03-09-2012 08:31 AM

"Billy" > wrote in message

> <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/magazine/22wwlnlede.t.html>

Yes, and sadly this is very true. We were fine for the most part when we
lived in NY (Staten Island) but I did have some trouble during the winter
months finding any good fresh produce. I mostly bought that at the Army
base in Brooklyn.

The supermarket that was closest to me tended not to have fresh produce. I
was surrounded by little mom and pop stores which might have a very small
amount of produce. One only carried bananas, carrots, apples and onions
that were kept at room temp. Some of the others might have some produce
but it was not fresh.

When we lived there I resorted to keeping large amounts of dried vegetables
for use in soups and casseroles when need be.

But I did have a vehicle and even though I might have had to drive quite a
few miles to a store that might (or might not) have good produce, I at least
did have that option. There were plenty of people who did not have a
vehicle and could only get to places by foot or by bus. And this is a very
common problem in a lot of cities.

The dessert portion of the party was actually kind of funny. My bro brought
some muffins and some ice cream. A few people ate some ice cream. Only one
person ate a muffin. One tiny piece of the chocolate cake was eaten. One
brownie was eaten and also a 1" square of another brownie. One piece of the
lemon cake was eaten. The food pusher not only bought a big tub of
cantaloupe but a bag of sliced green apples. Once in a while I will eat a
green apple but I'm not really into fruit. Angela hates that kind of apples
but ate a few pieces to be polite. She also ate some of the melon. My
brother ate a few apple slices.

The food pusher also left a bowl of fruit slices (jelly candy) out on the
coffee table. I could be wrong on this but I have a feeling she did that in
an attempt to make me eat some. I did in fact eat 4 pieces of the candy
which I know I should not have. I think this was a very mean thing for her
to have done. That is one kind of candy that I will never buy any more
because usually once I start eating it, I can't stop myself. I did not
however eat all of my dinner because the food was mostly really bad. The
beans were pretty good although a bit salty.

I think the food pusher really feels guilty about eating the sweets that she
shouldn't be eating and in some way is making herself feel better by
tempting others into eating foods that they shouldn't eat. That is how it
seems to me.

She then got really angry when we all refused to take any of the food home.
She did finally get my husband to say that he would take the cake. But she
got super angry when I said that we could not take the fruit. We literally
have no room in the fridge and I told her this yesterday. We bought fruit
at Costco and it comes in really large containers. We will have far less
food in there after my husband leaves but right now he is eating a lot of
fruits and we're all trying to eat a lot of raw veggies. There is no way I
could get that big tub of melon in there right now. And I won't put food in
my little fridge because I don't think it keeps a safe temp. all of the
time. I only use it for drinks that are preferably served at least cool but
don't have to be chilled. And the freezer part holds blue ice.

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds 04-09-2012 05:16 AM

Do you feel that you must eat foods you know you should not?

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> But not with this other family member. Currently we are all having dietary
> issues. So the way I see it, the rest of the family should be fine with it
> if we say that we do not want dessert. But no. We are being pushed and
> pushed and pushed. Well not me so much because I think by now they all know
> that I say that I do not want to eat dessert. I don't think they believe me
> in any way shape or form and they keep trying to tempt me with things but
> all that does is make me angry.

the problem here isn't your other family members, it's that you allow them to
ignore your dietary wishes...and the reason you do that is so that you can come
here after every family meal and complain about what your family is trying to do
to you. You are enabling their behaviour and it is entirely your fault