Old 04-09-2012, 04:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you eat tofu?

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:

: When we lived in NY we used to get Teriyaki chicken sticks. The kids loved
: them. I don't think they're authentic at all. Is Teriyaki even Chinese?
: I
: thought it was Japanese but I could be wrong.

Teriyaki is Japanese and quite sweet so I don't make it, although it can
be quite simple IIRC, soysaouse, sine and, honey(I believe, seasoned with
ginger and used as a maraade adn sauce for a number of foods. No reason
not to use it on pieces of chicken, boneless or not.

Not terrible diabetic friendly:-(

I make a marinade with tamari, ginger, garlic, and splenda.
It's not quite teriyaki, but close enough, and is marvellous with
swordfish.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Old 04-09-2012, 06:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

thats my go to Asian style sauce..then I branch it out from there..

adding toasted sesame oil and red pepper flakes....fish sauce and weirdly
enough mustard and mayo to the main part makes a wonderful salad dressing.

oh and I like to add organic ketchup to the main sauce for a yummy general
tso type sauce

KROM

"Alice Faber" wrote ...

Old 04-09-2012, 07:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alice Faber wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

: Julie Bove wrote:
:
:
: : When we lived in NY we used to get Teriyaki chicken sticks. The kids loved
: : them. I don't think they're authentic at all. Is Teriyaki even Chinese?
: : I
: : thought it was Japanese but I could be wrong.
:
: Teriyaki is Japanese and quite sweet so I don't make it, although it can
: be quite simple IIRC, soysaouse, sine and, honey(I believe, seasoned with
: ginger and used as a maraade adn sauce for a number of foods. No reason
: not to use it on pieces of chicken, boneless or not.
:
: Not terrible diabetic friendly:-(
:

: I make a marinade with tamari, ginger, garlic, and splenda.
: It's not quite teriyaki, but close enough, and is marvellous with
: swordfish.

: --
: "Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
: what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Thanks! I think I will try that , even on chicken on the grill. I might
add a little wine(dry) to that.

Wendy
Old 04-09-2012, 08:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

: I grew up eating tofu, and when I was a kid it was somewhat exotic. We
: had to buy it (out of a bucket) from the back of an Asian gift store on
: Broadway or go down to Chinatown. We never dreamed of growing up in a
: world in which we could buy it in most supermarkets.

: I have a tub in my fridge right now. I use it in stirfries, sour-hot
: soup, pork soup with cabbage, and so on.

I remember getting that both at Fairay and at the small Korean produce adn
a few other things stores that were so common in my earlier married days.
they seem to all have disappeared. I guess that first generation that
ran these store is now retired anad the kids have all gone to college and
have other kinds of jobs now.

I also miss that tofu. I think it kind of hung together better.

The tofu I get at Asian markets is that kind. I much prefer it to the
"crunchy granola" tofu that's sold at places like the food co-op and
Whole Foods. Nowadays the tofu in the Asian markets in those plastic
tubs -- rectangular tubs with sheet plastic across the top for one or
two bricks and quart or larger buckets with lids for 4-6 bricks. It can
have writing in pretty much any Asian language on it. I think I've
eaten Vietnamese, Cambodian, or Thai tofu that's indistinguishable from
what I grew up eating.

BTW, I'm coming down to NYC over Columbus Day weekend so my niece can
look over Columbia and NYU. I don't think we're going to have a spare
moment (and I don't know yet where we're staying), but I wish I could
stop by the West 90s and say "hi!" I don't think she's going to end up
in NYC (I'm trying to get her to think about Swarthmore and Brown*), but
if she does, we'll have to get together for a cup of tea or something
some time when I'm down visiting her!

Priscilla

* She was babbling on about California (Pomona, Stamford, etc.), and I
panicked, thinking, "Who's going to pay for her plane tickets?" which is
what got me putting ideas about NYC, Philadelphia, and Providence in her
head. Harvard is out because it's too much where she grew up. OK,
she'll move away for college, but not across the country!
- Chris Malcolm
Old 05-09-2012, 12:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

[...]

: "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
: of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
: - Chris Malcolm

Reminds meof the old jewsih story about how a child can never move more
than lamb chop defrosting distance. It can be by foot, bus, car, train or
plain, but never , by whaatever means longer to get there than the time
it takes a lamb chop to defrost in the mother's purse. I guess it's aunt
in your case:-)

Wendy

Old 11-09-2012, 06:39 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I tried making some tonight because I was told it was a good thing to eat
for protein when you have gout. It didn't go over some well. Granted I
didn't have some of the ingredients that the recipe called for. Namely
Tamari and fresh ginger. The only other ingredient was a lot of fresh
garlic which I did have. I used the regular soy sauce that I did have and
a little powdered ginger. I also added some green onions because some of
the reviewers for the recipe said that it didn't have a lot of flavor.
You're supposed to cut it (extra firm tofu) in cubes, marinate it in the
other ingredients then fry it for 20 minutes in a little oil.

Try freezing it, draining it, pressing it, then dry-frying the tofu before
using it in a recipe. It does wonders for the texture. and it soaks up a lot
more flavor.

Old 13-09-2012, 10:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

dans un endroit que vous ne rêvent que de l'endroit où votre
âme est toujours libre, le stade d'argent et de rideaux dorés
remplis ma plaine tête peut être

tofu tert in seattle General Cooking 37 09-12-2013 04:05 AM
Curried Tofu Apple Soup (Tofu) workingonit Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2010 03:05 AM
Tofu [email protected] General Cooking 4 04-08-2005 05:19 PM
Tofu Onion Dip Duckie Recipes 0 19-07-2005 11:19 PM
tofu and gas Jai Vegan 12 09-02-2004 12:57 AM