Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you eat tofu?

I tried making some tonight because I was told it was a good thing to eat
for protein when you have gout. It didn't go over some well. Granted I
didn't have some of the ingredients that the recipe called for. Namely
Tamari and fresh ginger. The only other ingredient was a lot of fresh
garlic which I did have. I used the regular soy sauce that I did have and a
little powdered ginger. I also added some green onions because some of the
reviewers for the recipe said that it didn't have a lot of flavor. You're
supposed to cut it (extra firm tofu) in cubes, marinate it in the other
ingredients then fry it for 20 minutes in a little oil.

I also made some fried rice as best I could given the dietary limitations.
For the vegetables I used zucchini and yellow summer squash, green onion,
carrot, celery and 3 colors of bell pepper. The rice was brown and I used
some of that egg product that is really only the whites of the egg colored
yellow. Also garlic and soy sauce. Angela said that was good. But I did
make a ton of it hoping that my husband would eat that. I had hoped if I
didn't provide much else besides fruit and veg, he might just eat that. But
it's looking like he won't.

We have to go shopping tomorrow for some more groceries. So how else can I
fix the tofu? Yes, I know it can be used in place of cheese but I don't
need to do that because cheese isn't bad for gout.

Or maybe I should just skip it totally. I think maybe he would be more
likely to eat scrambled eggs with vegetables and a side of toast.

I've never really had to deal with tofu before. I think I may have tried it
once when I was younger and didn't like it. And I know I have had it a few
times in a restaurant and didn't like it. But he usually likes foreign
foods and loves garlic. I have found that he and the men in his family will
eat pretty much anything so long as I put enough garlic or hot pepper in it.
But this seems not to apply to the tofu.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I tried making some tonight because I was told it was a good thing to eat
>for protein when you have gout. It didn't go over some well. Granted I
>didn't have some of the ingredients that the recipe called for. Namely
>Tamari and fresh ginger. The only other ingredient was a lot of fresh
>garlic which I did have. I used the regular soy sauce that I did have and
>a little powdered ginger. I also added some green onions because some of
>the reviewers for the recipe said that it didn't have a lot of flavor.
>You're supposed to cut it (extra firm tofu) in cubes, marinate it in the
>other ingredients then fry it for 20 minutes in a little oil.
>
> I also made some fried rice as best I could given the dietary limitations.
> For the vegetables I used zucchini and yellow summer squash, green onion,
> carrot, celery and 3 colors of bell pepper. The rice was brown and I used
> some of that egg product that is really only the whites of the egg colored
> yellow. Also garlic and soy sauce. Angela said that was good. But I did
> make a ton of it hoping that my husband would eat that. I had hoped if I
> didn't provide much else besides fruit and veg, he might just eat that.
> But it's looking like he won't.
>
> We have to go shopping tomorrow for some more groceries. So how else can
> I fix the tofu? Yes, I know it can be used in place of cheese but I don't
> need to do that because cheese isn't bad for gout.
>
> Or maybe I should just skip it totally. I think maybe he would be more
> likely to eat scrambled eggs with vegetables and a side of toast.
>
> I've never really had to deal with tofu before. I think I may have tried
> it once when I was younger and didn't like it. And I know I have had it
> a few times in a restaurant and didn't like it. But he usually likes
> foreign foods and loves garlic. I have found that he and the men in his
> family will eat pretty much anything so long as I put enough garlic or hot
> pepper in it. But this seems not to apply to the tofu.

I love tofu in stir frys with veggies.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I tried making some tonight because I was told it was a good thing to eat
>>for protein when you have gout. It didn't go over some well. Granted I
>>didn't have some of the ingredients that the recipe called for. Namely
>>Tamari and fresh ginger. The only other ingredient was a lot of fresh
>>garlic which I did have. I used the regular soy sauce that I did have and
>>a little powdered ginger. I also added some green onions because some of
>>the reviewers for the recipe said that it didn't have a lot of flavor.
>>You're supposed to cut it (extra firm tofu) in cubes, marinate it in the
>>other ingredients then fry it for 20 minutes in a little oil.
>>
>> I also made some fried rice as best I could given the dietary
>> limitations. For the vegetables I used zucchini and yellow summer squash,
>> green onion, carrot, celery and 3 colors of bell pepper. The rice was
>> brown and I used some of that egg product that is really only the whites
>> of the egg colored yellow. Also garlic and soy sauce. Angela said that
>> was good. But I did make a ton of it hoping that my husband would eat
>> that. I had hoped if I didn't provide much else besides fruit and veg,
>> he might just eat that. But it's looking like he won't.
>>
>> We have to go shopping tomorrow for some more groceries. So how else can
>> I fix the tofu? Yes, I know it can be used in place of cheese but I
>> don't need to do that because cheese isn't bad for gout.
>>
>> Or maybe I should just skip it totally. I think maybe he would be more
>> likely to eat scrambled eggs with vegetables and a side of toast.
>>
>> I've never really had to deal with tofu before. I think I may have tried
>> it once when I was younger and didn't like it. And I know I have had it
>> a few times in a restaurant and didn't like it. But he usually likes
>> foreign foods and loves garlic. I have found that he and the men in his
>> family will eat pretty much anything so long as I put enough garlic or
>> hot pepper in it. But this seems not to apply to the tofu.

> I love tofu in stir frys with veggies.

Thanks! I guess I hadn't really thought this one through. Stir fries are
one thing nobody in this house will eat. Fried rice apparently being the
exception. Angela said he did eat all of his rice. I tossed the rest of
the tofu.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I tried making some tonight because I was told it was a good thing to eat
> for protein when you have gout. It didn't go over some well. Granted I
> didn't have some of the ingredients that the recipe called for. Namely
> Tamari and fresh ginger. The only other ingredient was a lot of fresh
> garlic which I did have. I used the regular soy sauce that I did have
> and a little powdered ginger. I also added some green onions because
> some of the reviewers for the recipe said that it didn't have a lot of
> flavor. You're supposed to cut it (extra firm tofu) in cubes, marinate
> it in the other ingredients then fry it for 20 minutes in a little oil.
>
> I also made some fried rice as best I could given the dietary
> limitations. For the vegetables I used zucchini and yellow summer squash,
> green onion, carrot, celery and 3 colors of bell pepper. The rice was
> brown and I used some of that egg product that is really only the whites
> of the egg colored yellow. Also garlic and soy sauce. Angela said that
> was good. But I did make a ton of it hoping that my husband would eat
> that. I had hoped if I didn't provide much else besides fruit and veg,
> he might just eat that. But it's looking like he won't.
>
> We have to go shopping tomorrow for some more groceries. So how else can
> I fix the tofu? Yes, I know it can be used in place of cheese but I
> don't need to do that because cheese isn't bad for gout.
>
> Or maybe I should just skip it totally. I think maybe he would be more
> likely to eat scrambled eggs with vegetables and a side of toast.
>
> I've never really had to deal with tofu before. I think I may have tried
> it once when I was younger and didn't like it. And I know I have had it
> a few times in a restaurant and didn't like it. But he usually likes
> foreign foods and loves garlic. I have found that he and the men in his
> family will eat pretty much anything so long as I put enough garlic or
> hot pepper in it. But this seems not to apply to the tofu.

Un has used it in soups, noodle and Thai curry dishes for me. She's added
fish, chicken, pork, daikon, bok choi and of course, garlic, mushroom,
ginger, hot peppers, etc. It seems to absorb the flavors of what it's
cooked with.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> I tried making some tonight because I was told it was a good thing to eat
>> for protein when you have gout. It didn't go over some well. Granted I
>> didn't have some of the ingredients that the recipe called for. Namely
>> Tamari and fresh ginger. The only other ingredient was a lot of fresh
>> garlic which I did have. I used the regular soy sauce that I did have
>> and a little powdered ginger. I also added some green onions because
>> some of the reviewers for the recipe said that it didn't have a lot of
>> flavor. You're supposed to cut it (extra firm tofu) in cubes, marinate
>> it in the other ingredients then fry it for 20 minutes in a little oil.
>>
>> I also made some fried rice as best I could given the dietary
>> limitations. For the vegetables I used zucchini and yellow summer squash,
>> green onion, carrot, celery and 3 colors of bell pepper. The rice was
>> brown and I used some of that egg product that is really only the whites
>> of the egg colored yellow. Also garlic and soy sauce. Angela said that
>> was good. But I did make a ton of it hoping that my husband would eat
>> that. I had hoped if I didn't provide much else besides fruit and veg,
>> he might just eat that. But it's looking like he won't.
>>
>> We have to go shopping tomorrow for some more groceries. So how else can
>> I fix the tofu? Yes, I know it can be used in place of cheese but I
>> don't need to do that because cheese isn't bad for gout.
>>
>> Or maybe I should just skip it totally. I think maybe he would be more
>> likely to eat scrambled eggs with vegetables and a side of toast.
>>
>> I've never really had to deal with tofu before. I think I may have tried
>> it once when I was younger and didn't like it. And I know I have had it
>> a few times in a restaurant and didn't like it. But he usually likes
>> foreign foods and loves garlic. I have found that he and the men in his
>> family will eat pretty much anything so long as I put enough garlic or
>> hot pepper in it. But this seems not to apply to the tofu.

> Un has used it in soups, noodle and Thai curry dishes for me. She's added
> fish, chicken, pork, daikon, bok choi and of course, garlic, mushroom,
> ginger, hot peppers, etc. It seems to absorb the flavors of what it's
> cooked with.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
: >
: > Un has used it in soups, noodle and Thai curry dishes for me. She's added
: > fish, chicken, pork, daikon, bok choi and of course, garlic, mushroom,
: > ginger, hot peppers, etc. It seems to absorb the flavors of what it's
: > cooked with.

: Thanks!

If your husband like hot and sour soup, it can be made vegetarian without
a meat broth. I don't have a recipe but had one from a package of tofu at
one time. You might try gooling for it. You can make a peppery as you
like and that is the source of the heat for that soup.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> : >
> : > Un has used it in soups, noodle and Thai curry dishes for me. She's
> added
> : > fish, chicken, pork, daikon, bok choi and of course, garlic, mushroom,
> : > ginger, hot peppers, etc. It seems to absorb the flavors of what it's
> : > cooked with.
>
> : Thanks!
>
> If your husband like hot and sour soup, it can be made vegetarian without
> a meat broth. I don't have a recipe but had one from a package of tofu at
> one time. You might try gooling for it. You can make a peppery as you
> like and that is the source of the heat for that soup.

I don't think he likes it but I don't know.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Un has used it in soups, noodle and Thai curry dishes for me. She's added
> fish, chicken, pork, daikon, bok choi and of course, garlic, mushroom,
> ginger, hot peppers, etc. It seems to absorb the flavors of what it's
> cooked with.

I grew up eating tofu, and when I was a kid it was somewhat exotic. We
had to buy it (out of a bucket) from the back of an Asian gift store on
Broadway or go down to Chinatown. We never dreamed of growing up in a
world in which we could buy it in most supermarkets.

I have a tub in my fridge right now. I use it in stirfries, sour-hot
soup, pork soup with cabbage, and so on.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> : >
> : > Un has used it in soups, noodle and Thai curry dishes for me. She's added
> : > fish, chicken, pork, daikon, bok choi and of course, garlic, mushroom,
> : > ginger, hot peppers, etc. It seems to absorb the flavors of what it's
> : > cooked with.
>
> : Thanks!
>
> If your husband like hot and sour soup, it can be made vegetarian without
> a meat broth. I don't have a recipe but had one from a package of tofu at
> one time. You might try gooling for it. You can make a peppery as you
> like and that is the source of the heat for that soup.
>
> Wendy

I think I posted a recipe for sour-hot soup here a few months ago.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I used to like the Chinese firm tofu (bean curd) in stir frys better
than the mushier Japanese tofu.

I have to avoid soy products now because of thyroid disease.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: >
: > : "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
: > : >
: > : > Un has used it in soups, noodle and Thai curry dishes for me. She's added
: > : > fish, chicken, pork, daikon, bok choi and of course, garlic, mushroom,
: > : > ginger, hot peppers, etc. It seems to absorb the flavors of what it's
: > : > cooked with.
: >
: > : Thanks!
: >
: > If your husband like hot and sour soup, it can be made vegetarian without
: > a meat broth. I don't have a recipe but had one from a package of tofu at
: > one time. You might try gooling for it. You can make a peppery as you
: > like and that is the source of the heat for that soup.
: >
: > Wendy

: I think I posted a recipe for sour-hot soup here a few months ago.

: PP
: --
: "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
: of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
: - Chris Malcolm
I seem to remember that too, but I checked my recipe file but had not
saved it. Perhaps too much pork or something like that, because I just
love that soup!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
>> Un has used it in soups, noodle and Thai curry dishes for me. She's added
>> fish, chicken, pork, daikon, bok choi and of course, garlic, mushroom,
>> ginger, hot peppers, etc. It seems to absorb the flavors of what it's
>> cooked with.

> I grew up eating tofu, and when I was a kid it was somewhat exotic. We
> had to buy it (out of a bucket) from the back of an Asian gift store on
> Broadway or go down to Chinatown. We never dreamed of growing up in a
> world in which we could buy it in most supermarkets.
>
> I have a tub in my fridge right now. I use it in stirfries, sour-hot
> soup, pork soup with cabbage, and so on.

Thanks! I don't think any of that would work for gout, except for the stir
fries which nobody in this house will eat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
b.com...
>I used to like the Chinese firm tofu (bean curd) in stir frys better than
>the mushier Japanese tofu.
>
> I have to avoid soy products now because of thyroid disease.

Yeah. Angela and I avoid soy for the same reasons. I guess I will just try
serving him some egg product instead. He didn't touch the tofu. No sense
in trying it again.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : In article >,
> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
> : > If your husband like hot and sour soup, it can be made vegetarian without
> : > a meat broth. I don't have a recipe but had one from a package of tofu
> : > at
> : > one time. You might try gooling for it. You can make a peppery as you
> : > like and that is the source of the heat for that soup.
> : I think I posted a recipe for sour-hot soup here a few months ago.
> I seem to remember that too, but I checked my recipe file but had not
> saved it. Perhaps too much pork or something like that, because I just
> love that soup!

You can adapt it not to have any pork. Dark meat chicken would do
great, I would think.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:
: > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: > : In article >,
: > : "W. Baker" > wrote:
: > : > If your husband like hot and sour soup, it can be made vegetarian without
: > : > a meat broth. I don't have a recipe but had one from a package of tofu
: > : > at
: > : > one time. You might try gooling for it. You can make a peppery as you
: > : > like and that is the source of the heat for that soup.
: > : I think I posted a recipe for sour-hot soup here a few months ago.
: > I seem to remember that too, but I checked my recipe file but had not
: > saved it. Perhaps too much pork or something like that, because I just
: > love that soup!

: You can adapt it not to have any pork. Dark meat chicken would do
: great, I would think.

: PP

Since I can't find your recipe, woul you min sendign it either to the
group or to me? As the evenings are getting cooler up hee in the
mountains and today I even wore a light flannel shirt, it is time to think
of hot soups again and thatcan be a nic elow carb one if not thickened
with cornsstarch. I wonder how it would be with an egg in it as a kind of
hot and sour egg drop soup:-) kind of a mixed soupaphore.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I use it in me smoothies!! YUM

Nana

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> b.com...
>>I used to like the Chinese firm tofu (bean curd) in stir frys better than
>>the mushier Japanese tofu.
>>
>> I have to avoid soy products now because of thyroid disease.

> Yeah. Angela and I avoid soy for the same reasons. I guess I will just
> try serving him some egg product instead. He didn't touch the tofu. No
> sense in trying it again.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nana.Wilson" > wrote in message
>I use it in me smoothies!! YUM

Now that sounds kind of weird. But whatever works for ya!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : In article >,
> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
> : > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : > : In article >,
> : > : "W. Baker" > wrote:
> : > : > If your husband like hot and sour soup, it can be made vegetarian
> : > : > without
> : > : > a meat broth. I don't have a recipe but had one from a package of
> : > : > tofu
> : > : > at
> : > : > one time. You might try gooling for it. You can make a peppery as
> : > : > you
> : > : > like and that is the source of the heat for that soup.
> : > : I think I posted a recipe for sour-hot soup here a few months ago.
> : > I seem to remember that too, but I checked my recipe file but had not
> : > saved it. Perhaps too much pork or something like that, because I just
> : > love that soup!
>
> : You can adapt it not to have any pork. Dark meat chicken would do
> : great, I would think.
>
> : PP
>
> Since I can't find your recipe, woul you min sendign it either to the
> group or to me? As the evenings are getting cooler up hee in the
> mountains and today I even wore a light flannel shirt, it is time to think
> of hot soups again and thatcan be a nic elow carb one if not thickened
> with cornsstarch. I wonder how it would be with an egg in it as a kind of
> hot and sour egg drop soup:-) kind of a mixed soupaphore.
>
> Wendy

I'll see if I can find it. I typed it in from the book, and I'm not
looking to do that again, but if I can find it on google, I'll repost it.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article
Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> I'll see if I can find it. I typed it in from the book, and I'm not
> looking to do that again, but if I can find it on google, I'll repost it.

Ah! I posted it over in alt.support.diabetes. Here it is again:

Originally posted on May 8, 2012

I'll put it just as Mme. Chao writes it and allow you to make the
changes you want. I'll have some comments of my own after the recipe.

***** Begin quoted recipe

From _How to Cook and Eat in Chinese_ by Buwei Yang Chao.

(This is the edition I grew up with:
http://www.amazon.com/cook-Chinese-B...I6VDU/ref=sr_1

_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336531462&sr=1-9 )

Sour-Hot Soup

This is also a very famous soup that sometimes will help you get rid of
leftovers. But sometimes we also purposely make it with fresh
materials. Whichever its origin, it is a most appetizing soup, if
properly made, and is very helpful when one is not hungry but has to
eat.

The eggs and characteristic seasoning exist in all kinds of Sour-Hot
soup. As to the other things you can ad lib; they can be fish, meat,
shrimps, bean curd, etc. Even the water itself can be replaced by
chicken soup, meat soup, made from boiling meat bones, etc.

3 eggs
7 cups water or any soup
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon taste powder (omit if you use soup instead of water)
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
3 Tablespoons vinegar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 lb of any other materials chopped in small pieces

Mix salt, soy sauce, taste powder, and cornstarch with 1 cup cold water
or soup. Then put it in 6 cups of boiling water or soup. Keep a low
fire while doing the following:

Beat 3 eggs and pour very slowly into the soup. Keep stirring the soup
while pouring the eggs. Then add in the vinegar and pepper and any
other materials. If you have meat slices, prepare them as in meat-slice
recipes before adding into the soup.

***** End quoted recipe

I usually put in Chinese "long" cabbage (aka celery cabbage -- what I
grew up knowing as "Chinese cabbage") sliced thin, cubes of firm tofu,
sliced or chunked mushrooms, lily buds (from the Asian market), and
sliced pork that I've marinated in soy sauce. (If I consumed alcohol
I'd add some dry sherry to the marinade.) I use the dark, flavorful,
more fatty pork which is sold in the Asian market as "pork shoulder
butt." That dry white stuff that Anglos eat isn't really food, to my
taste. It's more like a construction product. ;-)

I prefer the flavor of tofu which I buy in Asian markets -- preferably
taken out of a big plastic bucket and dropped into a plastic baggie,
which is then tied, but that's hard to find anymore. ;-) Nowadays most
of it is sold in plastic tubs with lids or those square plastic boxes
with clear plastic top. The kind one finds in Whole Foods and the like
doesn't have the good sour edge to the flavor, and the texture is often
too grainy. I like to age mine a bit to get a little more of the good
flavor.

"Taste powder" is MSG (aji no moto). I grew up with a tin of it in the
cupboard. My father used it in Chinese cooking, and I never developed a
reaction to it until I was an adult. Nowadays it gives me migraines, so
I never use it.

For "soy sauce" I use "light soy" from the Asian market. There's a
brand I like which is less than $2 per liter. "Dark soy" and "mushroom
soy" and many other kinds of soy are different, and you don't want them
in this recipe.

I always use a meat stock, for a fuller flavor. For me, pork.

This is about the right spiciness for me. I don't like really spicy
food, but this is good. Black pepper is a different kind of hot (to my
tongue) than all those chillies.

I find sour-hot soup is wonderful in cold weather, particularly if one
has a cold. :-)

Eat it in good health!

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Nana.Wilson" > wrote in message
>>I use it in me smoothies!! YUM

> Now that sounds kind of weird. But whatever works for ya!

NAY!! You can use soy milk or yoghurt. Tofu will take on the flavour of
other things, so why not?

Nana

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nana.Wilson" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Nana.Wilson" > wrote in message
>>>I use it in me smoothies!! YUM

>> Now that sounds kind of weird. But whatever works for ya!

> NAY!! You can use soy milk or yoghurt. Tofu will take on the flavour of
> other things, so why not?

Well I don't happen to like yogurt, any kind of milk, tofu or smoothies.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: ***** Begin quoted recipe

: From _How to Cook and Eat in Chinese_ by Buwei Yang Chao.

:
[...]

thanks Priscilla,

have you ever tried it without the cornsarch? It would seem to me that
with the eggs it might not need so much thickening. In the restaurant
where I have had this soup there generally are no eggs, hence my thought.
I may well be used to it rather thinner than this recipe sounds.

Of sourse, I am eating New York Hot and Sour soup, which may well vary
from the Chinese version, as do so many dishes, includign all those
chicken dishes which we get with bneleses chicken, while , from what I
gahter, teh chinese prefer bone-in hacked chicken and like to
suck onthe bones for flavor.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> : tongue) than all those chillies.
>
> : I find sour-hot soup is wonderful in cold weather, particularly if one
> : has a cold. :-)
>
> : Eat it in good health!
>
> : Priscilla
>
> thanks Priscilla,
>
> have you ever tried it without the cornsarch? It would seem to me that
> with the eggs it might not need so much thickening. In the restaurant
> where I have had this soup there generally are no eggs, hence my thought.
> I may well be used to it rather thinner than this recipe sounds.
>
> Of sourse, I am eating New York Hot and Sour soup, which may well vary
> from the Chinese version, as do so many dishes, includign all those
> chicken dishes which we get with bneleses chicken, while , from what I
> gahter, teh chinese prefer bone-in hacked chicken and like to

When we lived in NY we used to get Teriyaki chicken sticks. The kids loved
them. I don't think they're authentic at all. Is Teriyaki even Chinese? I
thought it was Japanese but I could be wrong.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> [...]
> : tongue) than all those chillies.
>
> : I find sour-hot soup is wonderful in cold weather, particularly if one
> : has a cold. :-)
>
> : Eat it in good health!
>
> : Priscilla
>
> thanks Priscilla,
>
> have you ever tried it without the cornsarch? It would seem to me that
> with the eggs it might not need so much thickening. In the restaurant
> where I have had this soup there generally are no eggs, hence my thought.
> I may well be used to it rather thinner than this recipe sounds.
>
> Of sourse, I am eating New York Hot and Sour soup, which may well vary
> from the Chinese version, as do so many dishes, includign all those
> chicken dishes which we get with bneleses chicken, while , from what I
> gahter, teh chinese prefer bone-in hacked chicken and like to

I'm sure I have. I usually make some variation on it these days, making
a big soup with lots of stuff and then seasoning it with pepper and
vinegar.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> When we lived in NY we used to get Teriyaki chicken sticks. The kids loved
> them. I don't think they're authentic at all. Is Teriyaki even Chinese? I
> thought it was Japanese but I could be wrong.

Japanese. Don't you see it in Japanese restaurants?

One way to figure out if something is Japanese or Chinese is look at the
number of syllables in the words. If there is more than one syllable,
it's probably Japanese. If it's all words of one syllable, chances are
it's Chinese. Korean can go either way.

Hence:

teriyaki = Japanese (see also words ending in -yaki, -nabe, etc.)
shumai = Japanese

mu shu gai pan (moo shoo guy pan) = Chinese (chicken stirfry
w/mushrooms)
bao bing (bow bing) = Chinese (pancakes for mu shu ro)
won ton = Chinese

bulgogi = Korean
kimchee or kim chi (fermented cabbage) = Korean

Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> mu shu gai pan (moo shoo guy pan) = Chinese (chicken stirfry
> w/mushrooms)

Correction: mu gu gai pan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> When we lived in NY we used to get Teriyaki chicken sticks. The kids
>> loved
>> them. I don't think they're authentic at all. Is Teriyaki even Chinese?
>> thought it was Japanese but I could be wrong.

> Japanese. Don't you see it in Japanese restaurants?

No. I don't see it because I don't go to Japanese restaurants. Or Chinese.

> One way to figure out if something is Japanese or Chinese is look at the
> number of syllables in the words. If there is more than one syllable,
> it's probably Japanese. If it's all words of one syllable, chances are
> it's Chinese. Korean can go either way.

Okay.

> Hence:
>
> teriyaki = Japanese (see also words ending in -yaki, -nabe, etc.)
> shumai = Japanese
>
> mu shu gai pan (moo shoo guy pan) = Chinese (chicken stirfry
> w/mushrooms)
> bao bing (bow bing) = Chinese (pancakes for mu shu ro)
> won ton = Chinese
>
> bulgogi = Korean
> kimchee or kim chi (fermented cabbage) = Korean

Okay.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: When we lived in NY we used to get Teriyaki chicken sticks. The kids loved
: them. I don't think they're authentic at all. Is Teriyaki even Chinese? I
: thought it was Japanese but I could be wrong.

Teriyaki is Japanese and quite sweet so I don't make it, although it can
be quite simple IIRC, soysaouse, sine and, honey(I believe, seasoned with
ginger and used as a maraade adn sauce for a number of foods. No reason
not to use it on pieces of chicken, boneless or not.

Not terrible diabetic friendly:-(

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>

> : When we lived in NY we used to get Teriyaki chicken sticks. The kids
> loved
> : them. I don't think they're authentic at all. Is Teriyaki even
> Chinese? I
> : thought it was Japanese but I could be wrong.
>
> Teriyaki is Japanese and quite sweet so I don't make it, although it can
> be quite simple IIRC, soysaouse, sine and, honey(I believe, seasoned with
> ginger and used as a maraade adn sauce for a number of foods. No reason
> not to use it on pieces of chicken, boneless or not.
>
> Not terrible diabetic friendly:-(

I've never eaten it. It smells vile to me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: Nick Cramer > wrote:

[...]

I remember getting that both at Fairay and at the small Korean produce adn
a few other things stores that were so common in my earlier married days.
they seem to all have disappeared. I guess that first generation that
ran these store is now retired anad the kids have all gone to college and
have other kinds of jobs now.

I also miss that tofu. I think it kind of hung together better.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Julie Bove > wrote:
>

> : When we lived in NY we used to get Teriyaki chicken sticks. The kids loved
> : them. I don't think they're authentic at all. Is Teriyaki even Chinese?
> : I
> : thought it was Japanese but I could be wrong.
>
> Teriyaki is Japanese and quite sweet so I don't make it, although it can
> be quite simple IIRC, soysaouse, sine and, honey(I believe, seasoned with
> ginger and used as a maraade adn sauce for a number of foods. No reason
> not to use it on pieces of chicken, boneless or not.
>
> Not terrible diabetic friendly:-(

I make a marinade with tamari, ginger, garlic, and splenda.
It's not quite teriyaki, but close enough, and is marvellous with
swordfish.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thats my go to Asian style sauce..then I branch it out from there..

adding toasted sesame oil and red pepper flakes....fish sauce and weirdly
enough mustard and mayo to the main part makes a wonderful salad dressing.

oh and I like to add organic ketchup to the main sauce for a yummy general
tso type sauce

KROM

"Alice Faber" wrote ...

I make a marinade with tamari, ginger, garlic, and splenda.
It's not quite teriyaki, but close enough, and is marvellous with
swordfish.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alice Faber > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: >
: >
[...]

Thanks! I think I will try that , even on chicken on the grill. I might
add a little wine(dry) to that.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> : I grew up eating tofu, and when I was a kid it was somewhat exotic. We
> : had to buy it (out of a bucket) from the back of an Asian gift store on
> : Broadway or go down to Chinatown. We never dreamed of growing up in a
> : world in which we could buy it in most supermarkets.
>
> : I have a tub in my fridge right now. I use it in stirfries, sour-hot
> : soup, pork soup with cabbage, and so on.
>
> I remember getting that both at Fairay and at the small Korean produce adn
> a few other things stores that were so common in my earlier married days.
> they seem to all have disappeared. I guess that first generation that
> ran these store is now retired anad the kids have all gone to college and
> have other kinds of jobs now.
>
> I also miss that tofu. I think it kind of hung together better.

The tofu I get at Asian markets is that kind. I much prefer it to the
"crunchy granola" tofu that's sold at places like the food co-op and
Whole Foods. Nowadays the tofu in the Asian markets in those plastic
tubs -- rectangular tubs with sheet plastic across the top for one or
two bricks and quart or larger buckets with lids for 4-6 bricks. It can
have writing in pretty much any Asian language on it. I think I've
eaten Vietnamese, Cambodian, or Thai tofu that's indistinguishable from
what I grew up eating.

BTW, I'm coming down to NYC over Columbus Day weekend so my niece can
look over Columbia and NYU. I don't think we're going to have a spare
moment (and I don't know yet where we're staying), but I wish I could
stop by the West 90s and say "hi!" I don't think she's going to end up
in NYC (I'm trying to get her to think about Swarthmore and Brown*), but
if she does, we'll have to get together for a cup of tea or something
some time when I'm down visiting her!

Priscilla

* She was babbling on about California (Pomona, Stamford, etc.), and I
panicked, thinking, "Who's going to pay for her plane tickets?" which is
what got me putting ideas about NYC, Philadelphia, and Providence in her
head. Harvard is out because it's too much where she grew up. OK,
she'll move away for college, but not across the country!
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

[...]

Reminds meof the old jewsih story about how a child can never move more
than lamb chop defrosting distance. It can be by foot, bus, car, train or
plain, but never , by whaatever means longer to get there than the time
it takes a lamb chop to defrost in the mother's purse. I guess it's aunt
in your case:-)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I tried making some tonight because I was told it was a good thing to eat
>for protein when you have gout. It didn't go over some well. Granted I
>didn't have some of the ingredients that the recipe called for. Namely
>Tamari and fresh ginger. The only other ingredient was a lot of fresh
>garlic which I did have. I used the regular soy sauce that I did have and
>a little powdered ginger. I also added some green onions because some of
>the reviewers for the recipe said that it didn't have a lot of flavor.
>You're supposed to cut it (extra firm tofu) in cubes, marinate it in the
>other ingredients then fry it for 20 minutes in a little oil.

Try freezing it, draining it, pressing it, then dry-frying the tofu before
using it in a recipe. It does wonders for the texture. and it soaks up a lot
more flavor.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

dans un endroit que vous ne rêvent que de l'endroit où votre
âme est toujours libre, le stade d'argent et de rideaux dorés
remplis ma plaine tête peut être

tofu tert in seattle General Cooking 37 09-12-2013 04:05 AM
Curried Tofu Apple Soup (Tofu) workingonit Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2010 03:05 AM
Tofu [email protected] General Cooking 4 04-08-2005 05:19 PM
Tofu Onion Dip Duckie ® Recipes 0 19-07-2005 11:19 PM
tofu and gas Jai Vegan 12 09-02-2004 12:57 AM