Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What's for dinner?

I am still trying to use some stuff up that Angela and I can't eat. I have
done a pretty good job of it. There are still some gluten free burritos in
the freezer, a box or two of chicken nuggets. A box or two of gluten free
lasagna. Some cheese enchiladas. Angela actually can eat those. And there
is some sort of Amy's vegetarian thingies that we all could eat. We just
need to eat them because they are old.

Looks like husband will start the new job on the 24th of next month so we
still have time to feed him some of this stuff. We had a box of beef
tamales that was in the garage freezer that needs to be eaten up by Nov. I
brought it in and was sad to see that they contain chicken broth. So I
can't eat them. I really wanted them! So Angela will be having those for
dinner. She is not pleased. Although she likes tamales she doesn't much
like beef. Husband loves beef but was in the hospital today and long story
short it is gout which we all sort of knew. And beef is one of the worst
things for gout. So he will be having some little chicken tacos that we got
from Target.

So that leaves me. I didn't want a hamburger patty. So I dug around and
found an old meatloaf. It is less than thrilling. I tried making them with
potato flakes as the filler and no binder. The flavor is just fine. But
the texture is a bit mushy. I also have a can of creamed corn that needs to
be used up. I will have some of that and toss the rest because I know
nobody will eat it.

I am cooking the remains of a bag of small red beans. There's not a lot of
those but I will divvy them up three ways. And there is some salad to be
used up. I have some other raw veg to put on that.

We need to go to the store again tomorrow. We have a lot of food in the
house. It's just mostly the non-perishable stuff. We don't have much in
the way of meat. Not meat that my husband can eat anyway. I have some beef
and ham but he can't eat those things.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I am still trying to use some stuff up that Angela and I can't eat. I have
>done a pretty good job of it. There are still some gluten free burritos in
>the freezer, a box or two of chicken nuggets. A box or two of gluten free
>lasagna. Some cheese enchiladas. Angela actually can eat those. And
>there is some sort of Amy's vegetarian thingies that we all could eat. We
>just need to eat them because they are old.
>
> Looks like husband will start the new job on the 24th of next month so we
> still have time to feed him some of this stuff. We had a box of beef
> tamales that was in the garage freezer that needs to be eaten up by Nov.
> I brought it in and was sad to see that they contain chicken broth. So I
> can't eat them. I really wanted them! So Angela will be having those for
> dinner. She is not pleased. Although she likes tamales she doesn't much
> like beef. Husband loves beef but was in the hospital today and long
> story short it is gout which we all sort of knew. And beef is one of the
> worst things for gout. So he will be having some little chicken tacos
> that we got from Target.
>
> So that leaves me. I didn't want a hamburger patty. So I dug around and
> found an old meatloaf. It is less than thrilling. I tried making them
> with potato flakes as the filler and no binder. The flavor is just fine.
> But the texture is a bit mushy. I also have a can of creamed corn that
> needs to be used up. I will have some of that and toss the rest because
> I know nobody will eat it.
>
> I am cooking the remains of a bag of small red beans. There's not a lot
> of those but I will divvy them up three ways. And there is some salad to
> be used up. I have some other raw veg to put on that.
>
> We need to go to the store again tomorrow. We have a lot of food in the
> house. It's just mostly the non-perishable stuff. We don't have much in
> the way of meat. Not meat that my husband can eat anyway. I have some
> beef and ham but he can't eat those things.

My husband was diagnosed with gout years ago, they gave his a med(don't
remember the name) and he hasn't had any problems since then. We do eat beef
in this house but not often, once and awhile we'll have steak...maybe once a
month. I will make him a meatloaf every two months. We eat chicken,
pork..sometimes ham, turkey, and fish. We haven't had any hamburgers since
the big gall bladder attack, and the removal. We had pizza the other night
with no affects, ate one slice and topping of one slice with salad. I will
try a hamburger one of these days . My liver seems to be dumping the right
amount of bile so far...don't want to take any chances yet I have a big
freezer and keep it pretty well stocked...I am slowly throwing out old
stuff. My husband worries about the trash bag being to heavy for the trash
guy, so I can only throw away a couple of items per kitchen bag, which he
puts into a big black bag , and he doesn't want the black bag to
heavy...such a caring guy...LOL. We have a full pantry...I like to keep
stocked up . I found a Haiti Pork chop recipe the other day and am trying
it tonight. It has orange marmalade , and chipotle with adobo sauce. It just
sounded good so thought I would try it. We'll have salad and hubby will have
rice with his...or I might make a baked sweet potato to split.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> [...]

> night with no affects, ate one slice and topping of one slice with salad.
> I will try a hamburger one of these days . My liver seems to be dumping
> the right amount of bile so far...don't want to take any chances yet I
> have a big freezer and keep it pretty well stocked...I am slowly throwing
> out old stuff. My husband worries about the trash bag being to heavy for
> the trash guy, so I can only throw away a couple of items per kitchen bag,
> which he puts into a big black bag , and he doesn't want the black bag to
> heavy...such a caring guy...LOL. We have a full pantry...I like to keep
> stocked up . I found a Haiti Pork chop recipe the other day and am trying
> it tonight. It has orange marmalade , and chipotle with adobo sauce. It
> just sounded good so thought I would try it. We'll have salad and hubby
> will have rice with his...or I might make a baked sweet potato to split.

According to what I read online he has to avoid pork, lamb and also fish and
shellfish. I have a turkey breast that I will make for him and Angela
tonight unless she decides that she wants toasted cheese instead. And once
I get her out of the shower, we will be headed to her school to get ready
for it to start then off to shopping. I need to get some more veggies. I
have celery and that is good. Apparently tomatoes and spinach are not. I'm
going to make a big pan of stir fried rice with egg.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Jacquie" > wrote in message
: m...
: >
: > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >>
[...]

My son was once thought to have gout. Fortunately, it turnedout not to
be. He was given a diet plan by his MD and not put on the med Jaquie
talked about. We looked at the diet and described it as "the diet from
hell." It was competely counter to diabetes, very low in protiens and
high in carbs. Not all fish was out, but IIRC salmon was the worst. Your
husband should get a diet list from his doctor if at all possible. It wil
helphim and you know what he will be albe to eat without causeing him
nasty pain. As he will be away at his job for a large part of the time,
he should know what he can eat whether he cooks for himself or eats in
food service or restaurants or whatever.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> : have celery and that is good. Apparently tomatoes and spinach are not.
> I'm
> : going to make a big pan of stir fried rice with egg.
>
> My son was once thought to have gout. Fortunately, it turnedout not to
> be. He was given a diet plan by his MD and not put on the med Jaquie
> talked about. We looked at the diet and described it as "the diet from
> hell." It was competely counter to diabetes, very low in protiens and
> high in carbs. Not all fish was out, but IIRC salmon was the worst. Your
> husband should get a diet list from his doctor if at all possible. It wil
> helphim and you know what he will be albe to eat without causeing him
> nasty pain. As he will be away at his job for a large part of the time,
> he should know what he can eat whether he cooks for himself or eats in
> food service or restaurants or whatever.

Yes he should know what he should eat. But does he care? No. So the best
I can do is try to control what I bring into this house. The less
complaining he does while he is here the better.

Tonight he didn't wait for us to come home and ate something that wasn't the
best. It was whole wheat pasta in Alfredo sauce with vegetables and that
part was likely okay. But it had some cheese sausage in it make of pork.
When I bought it I didn't realize that he was going to have a flare. He had
not complained of any pain and frankly I sort of forgot about it. But he
had been eating huge amounts of beef. I bought 5 pounds of beef roast.
Angela had a normal portion. About 3 oz. I had only 2-3 bites with my
meal. We ate this for 2 days. I had intended there to be food enough for a
3rd meal but mostly all that was left was the vegetables and one small piece
of meat. Which he wound up eating. We have both warned him repeatedly but
he just does not seem to care.

We got stuck at the school tonight. As usual they did something stupid.
The student store was to be open from noon until 7:00. There was a BBQ from
6:00 to 7:00 which we did not want to go to. But they were giving out the
schedules during the BBQ. We did go earlier in the day and took care of the
rest of what we needed to do. But the schedules were not available then.
We had to go back. Because I knew that parking would be a nightmare and
because I can't walk far, we got back there early and had to wait.

And then I watched in horror as cars parked right behind me. This was not
the first time this happened at that school. I could not get out easily. I
had to inch my way out. And then I was still stuck because a line of cars
were coming at me. They couldn't all back up and I couldn't possibly have
backed all the way down the row I was in because so many cars were parked
wrong and it was on a curve. I know for sure I would have hit something
trying to back that whole way out.

So we didn't get home till just a little while ago. And even though I did
call him and tell him that I would make dinner when we got home, he just
went ahead and ate the pasta. That's what he does. If I don't have a meal
ready when he wants to eat, he will just eat whatever. Not a serving of
baby carrots or a piece cheese or something to tide him over. He wants
instant gratification. Grrrr...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> : going to make a big pan of stir fried rice with egg.
>
> My son was once thought to have gout. Fortunately, it turnedout not
> be. He was given a diet plan by his MD and not put on the med Jaquie
> talked about. We looked at the diet and described it as "the diet
> from
> hell." It was competely counter to diabetes, very low in protiens and
> high in carbs. Not all fish was out, but IIRC salmon was the worst.
> Your
> husband should get a diet list from his doctor if at all possible. It
> wil
> helphim and you know what he will be albe to eat without causeing him
> nasty pain. As he will be away at his job for a large part of the
> time,
> he should know what he can eat whether he cooks for himself or eats in
> food service or restaurants or whatever.

I had severe gout and had to go off the medication. Strict carb diet
instead (but also lots of low carb veggies) and no gout attacks since.
And naturally I was eating more meat with the low carb. I was told to
make the diet more alkaline so it is weird that people prescribe high
carb isn't it:

Extremely Acid Forming Foods - with a pH of 5.0 to 5.5
Artificial sweeteners, HFCS, Carbonated soft drinks & fizzy drinks ,
Cigarettes , Flour (white wheat), Goat, Lamb, Pastries & cakes from
white flour, Pork, Sugar, Beer, Brown sugar, Deer, Chocolate, Coffee ,
Custard with white sugar, Jams, Jellies, Liquor , Pasta, Rabbit,
Semolina, Table salt refined & iodized, Tea black, Turkey, Breads White
/ Wheat, White rice, commercial vinegar.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> [...]
>> he should know what he can eat whether he cooks for himself or eats in
>> food service or restaurants or whatever.

> I had severe gout and had to go off the medication. Strict carb diet
> instead (but also lots of low carb veggies) and no gout attacks since. And
> naturally I was eating more meat with the low carb. I was told to make the
> diet more alkaline so it is weird that people prescribe high carb isn't
> it:
>
> Extremely Acid Forming Foods - with a pH of 5.0 to 5.5
> Artificial sweeteners, HFCS, Carbonated soft drinks & fizzy drinks ,
> Cigarettes , Flour (white wheat), Goat, Lamb, Pastries & cakes from white
> flour, Pork, Sugar, Beer, Brown sugar, Deer, Chocolate, Coffee , Custard
> with white sugar, Jams, Jellies, Liquor , Pasta, Rabbit, Semolina, Table
> salt refined & iodized, Tea black, Turkey, Breads White / Wheat, White

Oh crap. Turkey is on there. I just can't win.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> [...]
>> food service or restaurants or whatever.

> I had severe gout and had to go off the medication. Strict carb diet
> instead (but also lots of low carb veggies) and no gout attacks since. And
> naturally I was eating more meat with the low carb. I was told to make the
> diet more alkaline so it is weird that people prescribe high carb isn't
> it:
>
> Extremely Acid Forming Foods - with a pH of 5.0 to 5.5
> Artificial sweeteners, HFCS, Carbonated soft drinks & fizzy drinks ,
> Cigarettes , Flour (white wheat), Goat, Lamb, Pastries & cakes from white
> flour, Pork, Sugar, Beer, Brown sugar, Deer, Chocolate, Coffee , Custard
> with white sugar, Jams, Jellies, Liquor , Pasta, Rabbit, Semolina, Table
> salt refined & iodized, Tea black, Turkey, Breads White / Wheat, White
> rice, commercial vinegar.

Oh crap. Turkey is on there. I just can't win.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I had nothing but peanut butter on crackers all day because my power was
off.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Colt T" > wrote in message
>I had nothing but peanut butter on crackers all day because my power was
> off.

Sorry to hear that.