Old 12-08-2012, 09:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favorite green type salads?

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
:
: what I do find difficult is making salad for one and keeping the
greens
: fresh for a few days as, if I want a variety of vegetables in the
: salad,
: lettuces, baby greens, tomatoes, radishes, etc, one serving uses so
few
: of
: each that they tend to go rotten before I an finish them.
:
: Wendy
:
: Yes, I find that to be a problem too, since I'm usually the only one
: eating
: it.
:
:
: I've gotten better at not overbuying, but I do try to store greens in
: way that minimizes waste and spoilage. I have a Rubbermaid crisper
bowl
: that I keep washed lettuce in. It has a little grill in the bottom so
: that the lettuce isn't sitting in any water that hasn't spun off after
: wash the lettuce. Other items get wrapped in a damp paper towel and
: stored in a closed plastic bag. I put cut radishes in the lettuce
: crisper, along with cucumbers that I've cut into. Mushrooms tend to be
: big problem in the summer, as I sometimes get tired of mushrooms
before
: I finish a box; in the winter, spare mushrooms go into soup.

: Cucumbers are the bad thing here. Costco sells tiny ones but you have
: buy a ton! If we could get one or two tiny ones it would be perfect. I
: hate touching slimy cukes.

simple solution is to buy the tiny (or any cukes) at another store that
sells them either by fewer pieces or by the pound. Each cuke may clst
more, but if you only eat two or three and thow out the slimy rest, you
are not sving anyting.

There is no other store that sells them.

I find those tiny Persian cukes to be great to have on hand for a snack
when I get the munchies. Has angela tried that?

She might eat one or two but that's about it. The Costco sized bags have
something like 30 in there. She can't even eat one cucumber in the course
of the week. Exception being for the few days when she was making
smoothies. I think she got burned out on those. Is eating none now and of
course I bought a bag of frozen strawberries from Costco. Nobody will eat
those now.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:31 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
:
: what I do find difficult is making salad for one and keeping
the greens
: fresh for a few days as, if I want a variety of vegetables in
the
: salad,
: lettuces, baby greens, tomatoes, radishes, etc, one serving
uses so few
: of
: each that they tend to go rotten before I an finish them.
:
: Wendy
:
: Yes, I find that to be a problem too, since I'm usually the only
one
: eating
: it.
:
:
: I've gotten better at not overbuying, but I do try to store greens
in a
: way that minimizes waste and spoilage. I have a Rubbermaid crisper
bowl
: that I keep washed lettuce in. It has a little grill in the bottom
so
: that the lettuce isn't sitting in any water that hasn't spun off
after I
: wash the lettuce. Other items get wrapped in a damp paper towel
and
: stored in a closed plastic bag. I put cut radishes in the lettuce
: crisper, along with cucumbers that I've cut into. Mushrooms tend
to be a
: big problem in the summer, as I sometimes get tired of mushrooms
before
: I finish a box; in the winter, spare mushrooms go into soup.

: Cucumbers are the bad thing here. Costco sells tiny ones but you
have to
: buy a ton! If we could get one or two tiny ones it would be
perfect. I
: hate touching slimy cukes.

simple solution is to buy the tiny (or any cukes) at another store
that
sells them either by fewer pieces or by the pound. Each cuke may clst
more, but if you only eat two or three and thow out the slimy rest,
you
are not sving anyting.

I find those tiny Persian cukes to be great to have on hand for a
snack
when I get the munchies. Has angela tried that?

Wendy

Sounds like the Lebanese cucumbers we get here, very tasty and the whole
lot is palatable. I can't remember the last time I ate a regular
cucumber.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"W. Baker" wrote in message

I find those tiny Persian cukes to be great to have on hand for a
snack
when I get the munchies. Has angela tried that?

She might eat one or two but that's about it. The Costco sized bags
have something like 30 in there. She can't even eat one cucumber in
the course of the week. Exception being for the few days when she was
making smoothies. I think she got burned out on those. Is eating
none now and of course I bought a bag of frozen strawberries from
Costco. Nobody will eat those now.

Hubby might like them? I occasionally warm up some frozen berries which
creates a small amount of warm berry juice as well. Great over a good
quality ice cream or even in thick, warm custard Generally though the
kids use anything and everything for their smoothies. The latest is
banana and frozen berries with ice cream and a bit of milk in the magic
bullet.

Old 13-08-2012, 12:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I make very simple salads, iceberg lettuce, cheese and lots of Italian
or 1000 island dressing, or sometimes French, I don't like ranch or
creamy type dressings.

Old 13-08-2012, 12:29 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Julie Bove wrote:
: :
: : what I do find difficult is making salad for one and keeping the
: greens
: : fresh for a few days as, if I want a variety of vegetables in the
: : salad,
: : lettuces, baby greens, tomatoes, radishes, etc, one serving uses so
: few
: : of
: : each that they tend to go rotten before I an finish them.
: :
: : Wendy
: :
: : Yes, I find that to be a problem too, since I'm usually the only one
: : eating
: : it.
: :
: :
: : I've gotten better at not overbuying, but I do try to store greens in
: a
: : way that minimizes waste and spoilage. I have a Rubbermaid crisper
: bowl
: : that I keep washed lettuce in. It has a little grill in the bottom so
: : that the lettuce isn't sitting in any water that hasn't spun off after
: I
[...]

I buy th elittle cukes by the pound so I can buy just 2 or 3 adn they will
last me a week. At Trader Joes, they sell them in packs of 5, which is
not bad, but I do have to rmemember to eat them within a week. I would
never consider buying 30 in a pack unless I was expecting tons of guests
who loved cukes:-)

Wendy

Old 13-08-2012, 03:05 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"W. Baker" wrote in message

I find those tiny Persian cukes to be great to have on hand for a snack
when I get the munchies. Has angela tried that?

She might eat one or two but that's about it. The Costco sized bags have
something like 30 in there. She can't even eat one cucumber in the
course of the week. Exception being for the few days when she was making
smoothies. I think she got burned out on those. Is eating none now and
of course I bought a bag of frozen strawberries from Costco. Nobody will
eat those now.

Hubby might like them? I occasionally warm up some frozen berries which
creates a small amount of warm berry juice as well. Great over a good
quality ice cream or even in thick, warm custard Generally though the
kids use anything and everything for their smoothies. The latest is banana
and frozen berries with ice cream and a bit of milk in the magic bullet.

No. He doesn't eat cucumbers and neither do I. Oh the strawberries! No.
He won't eat them. I will only buy single serve ice cream with nuts in it.
And only in small quantizes because we don't know when he is leaving. It's
not his favorite. He prefers plain ice cream. Would never eat it with
anything put on it. Nobody here eats custard either. Ice cream is
something Angela will eat and she can't have it. So we will only buy the
kind she can't have. She's not tempted by that. At least we have that big
freezer. The berries will keep for awhile. She might get back into
smoothies again one day.

Old 13-08-2012, 03:05 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Colt T" wrote in message
I make very simple salads, iceberg lettuce, cheese and lots of Italian
or 1000 island dressing, or sometimes French, I don't like ranch or
creamy type dressings.

Thanks! I don't like dressing at all.

Old 13-08-2012, 03:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Julie Bove wrote:
: :
[...]

They are cheap. I have never seen them in any other store. Just the plain
ones and the English.

Old 13-08-2012, 03:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Nana.Wilson" wrote in message
These days I like to drink me 'salad' cause I use me Vitamix soo much!!
It sure is great!! Just throw in what ever veggies you like & round it
off with fave fruits & you are good ta go!!

That wouldn't work for me. It's a texture I couldn't swallow. But thanks!

not to mention, which I'm surprised you didn't, low carbing raises YOUR glucose
levels
Old 13-08-2012, 03:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , "Julie Bove"
wrote:

simple solution is to buy the tiny (or any cukes) at another store that
sells them either by fewer pieces or by the pound. Each cuke may clst
more, but if you only eat two or three and thow out the slimy rest, you
are not sving anyting.

There is no other store that sells them.

You live in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the United States and you
actually believe that? LOL, you have so many excuses

Old 13-08-2012, 06:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , "Julie Bove"
wrote:

They are cheap. I have never seen them in any other store. Just the plain
ones and the English.

inquiring minds want to know which stores you looked for them
Old 18-08-2012, 01:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I ask this as I am forcing down a bowl of "American" salad. Now when I
was a kid this was pretty much all we ever got. Except for the years when
I had a garden and grew leaf lettuce. For those of you who don't know
what this is, it is iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots and a small amount
of shredded purple cabbage. Once in a while there will be a few red
radish slices in it as well.

I remember the first time I had butter lettuce at the Hunt Club. That
was a restaurant I couldn't normally afford to dine at. But my friend
was graduating from college and rather than throw a party, his parents
too me and another friend out to dinner with them to this place. I was
very uncomfortable during the meal, partly because I had to dress up (and
I hate to do that) and partly because people kept hovering around us. I
also remember having a pepper crusted steak which I really didn't like,
being a vegetarian and all but at that point in time there were no
vegetarian dishes on the menu. I think my friend had duck. They did
have a guy who came around with a big pepper mill. I did like that.

I like pretty much all of the salad greens except for when they are
really bitter. Sometimes I will get a blend that has too much bitter
stuff in it. I don't normally buy bagged salad for fear of food poisoning
but this bag came from Costco and it was only $2.17. We've been eating
salad all week from it. Tonight I put some green onions and some green
pepper on it as well as some black olives. I intended to put walnuts but
I forgot. The green pepper was an accident. The produce drawer was
stuffed full but I insisted to Angela that I could fit the remaining
three green onions in there. Well, I did but I smashed the green pepper.
Which is why I ate it tonight.

I also like tomatoes and celery on my salad. And I often put kidney,
pinto or garbanzo beans on there. Cooked white beans are good too
although I don't really like black beans on a salad too much. Unless it
is really a Mexican type salad with like...corn and salsa. Then it's
okay. I also like that baby corn but I only ever want two ears. So I
never buy the stuff because nobody else will eat it and it always goes
bad before I can finish it.

So what are your favorite salad greens? Costco sells some baby lettuces
that I love. But you have to buy so many in a package that we can never
finish them. Actually Angela won't eat them. But I can get her to eat
Romaine.

I like Romaine, iceberg, Boston, Baby Spinach Greens, I like tomatoes red
onions, celery, shredded carrots, English seedless cucumbers. If we are
having Italian I just like a bit of Romaine and Iceberg mixes with red
onions tomatoes, olives and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, add a bit of
home made Italian Dressing. Sometimes we buy the dressing at Olive Garden.
I like Chef's salads for lunch, Iceberg lettuce , baby spinach leaves,
tomatoes onion, some rotisserie chicken cut up, a bit of ham chopped,
maybe a crumbled hard boiled egg or cheese crumbles. I like buttermilk
ranch with that or thousand island (I can get the one carb dressing at my
grocery store.)
I do make a bbq chicken salad and add black beans to it, my husband also
gets corn. The salad I make is like the Whiskey BBQ Chicken Salad made at
Red Robin...found a recipe.

Thanks!

Of course, if you grow your own lettuce, then just a little vinegar,
olive oil, black pepper, mustard, garlic, and herb du jour (I like
oregano) is fine by itself. Garden lettuce at least has flavor. You
could do it in a window box. Add a couple of 5 gal. pots, one for a
Glacier tomato, and the other for a cucumber of choice (I like lemon),
and a couple of times a week you will have a salad that is second to
none.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 01-09-2012, 04:19 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Friday, August 10, 2012 9:56:30 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
I ask this as I am forcing down a bowl of "American" salad. Now when I was

a kid this was pretty much all we ever got. Except for the years when I had

a garden and grew leaf lettuce. For those of you who don't know what this

is, it is iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots and a small amount of shredded

purple cabbage. Once in a while there will be a few red radish slices in it

as well.

I like greens all of them mustard tunips collard greens and cabbage. I do eat salads from time to time but I must admit I do not know the difference between lettuce.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Mostlovely wrote:

On Friday, August 10, 2012 9:56:30 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
I ask this as I am forcing down a bowl of "American" salad. Now when I was

a kid this was pretty much all we ever got. Except for the years when I
had

a garden and grew leaf lettuce. For those of you who don't know what this

is, it is iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots and a small amount of shredded

purple cabbage. Once in a while there will be a few red radish slices in
it

as well.

I like greens all of them mustard tunips collard greens and cabbage. I do
eat salads from time to time but I must admit I do not know the difference
between lettuce.

Salads (lettuce) from the garden have flavor, and texture, and aren't
difficult to grow.