Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Bell peppers

I need some new ideas for raw bell peppers and perhaps cooked ones too. Red
bell peppers are one of the few vegetables that Angela really likes. When
the weather cools I plan to make a recipe I have somewhere for unstuffed
peppers. She loves the stuffed ones but neither she nor my husband will
actually eat the pepper when I make them this way. They both scoop out the
filling and give me their peppers. I think they are just lazy and don't
like eating foods that they have to cut up. But I could be wrong. I made
Spanish rice and they ate the peppers in it. So I figure they might eat the
unstuffed. It is basically just like how you would do a stuffed one but the
pepper is cut up and mixed in. You bake it in a casserole dish. So unless
I can do it in the microwave I'll wait for cooler weather.

One thing I like (but haven't tried yet for Angela) is assorted peppers cut
into little scoop shapes and then served with slightly warmed refried beans.
This is good with cheese sauce too. Or hummus.

Mostly I just cut them in strips and give them to her. Or put them in her
salad. I do also add them to red sauce for pasta and the like.

Right now they are pretty expensive at $1.99 each. But I need some ideas
for when I can find a good price. I did find a good price at Winco last
week but I am starting to think they don't always sell the freshest produce.
They were not refrigerated and most were getting shriveled. I won't buy
them that way. I did find two that were in good shape but they were very
small.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

No use asking me, I just eat them in strips, raw. Sometimes in a salad
or to dip in something (ranch, hommus, cottage cheese etc). Cooked, I
use green. I won't waste the goodness of a red by cooking it. My latest
favourite is blending blue cheese with ranch, the commercial ones are
never strong-tasting enough

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> I need some new ideas for raw bell peppers and perhaps cooked ones
> too. Red bell peppers are one of the few vegetables that Angela
> really likes. When the weather cools I plan to make a recipe I have
> somewhere for unstuffed peppers. She loves the stuffed ones but
> neither she nor my husband will actually eat the pepper when I make
> them this way. They both scoop out the filling and give me their
> peppers. I think they are just lazy and don't like eating foods that
> they have to cut up. But I could be wrong. I made Spanish rice and
> they ate the peppers in it. So I figure they might eat the unstuffed.
> It is basically just like how you would do a stuffed one but the
> pepper is cut up and mixed in. You bake it in a casserole dish. So
> unless I can do it in the microwave I'll wait for cooler weather.
>
> One thing I like (but haven't tried yet for Angela) is assorted
> peppers cut into little scoop shapes and then served with slightly
> warmed refried beans. This is good with cheese sauce too. Or hummus.
>
> Mostly I just cut them in strips and give them to her. Or put them in
> her salad. I do also add them to red sauce for pasta and the like.
>
> Right now they are pretty expensive at $1.99 each. But I need some
> ideas for when I can find a good price. I did find a good price at
> Winco last week but I am starting to think they don't always sell the
> freshest produce. They were not refrigerated and most were getting
> shriveled. I won't buy them that way. I did find two that were in
> good shape but they were very small.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> No use asking me, I just eat them in strips, raw. Sometimes in a salad or
> to dip in something (ranch, hommus, cottage cheese etc). Cooked, I use
> green. I won't waste the goodness of a red by cooking it. My latest
> favourite is blending blue cheese with ranch, the commercial ones are
> never strong-tasting enough

I usually prefer the green in cooked stuff but I have some freeze dried red
ones that I am trying to use up. They work quite well in a red sauce
because they blend right in.

I have never tasted Ranch. Not that I could because it contains both eggs
and dairy. It just smells awful to me so I was never tempted. Never had
blue cheese either. Not even when I ate cheese. Angela likes them both but
I don't think the Ranch would be allowed on the South Beach diet. Perhaps
she could just use guacamole.

Oh joy! Another wacko storm rolling through here. This is the third time
we've had lightning and thunder this summer. But no hail this time. Just a
brief rain shower. I did lose my Internet briefly though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/20/2012 3:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I need some new ideas for raw bell peppers and perhaps cooked ones too.

Green peppers were on sale here as was chuck shoulder steak and Roma
tomatoes.

I partially froze the steak and sliced it thin on an angle then
marinated it in some low-sodium soy sauce while I cut 2 peppers into
strips, chunked up about one quarter of a large onion and diced some
garlic. as well as coarse dicing a couple of tomatoes.

Slice a quarter-sized piece of ginger from a hand. Heat a tablespoon of
peanut oil in a wok and cook the ginger for about 2 minutes. Remove the
ginger and discard.

Stir-fry the meat in the ginger-flavored oil. Take it out when the pink
is just gone. Add onions, garlic and peppers and stir fry until
starting to get tender. Return the meat, any accumulated juices and add
the tomato. Stir fry until everything is hot.

If you can handle it, you can add a little corn starch slurry to thicken
the sauce, but I don't.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 7/20/2012 3:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I need some new ideas for raw bell peppers and perhaps cooked ones too.

> Green peppers were on sale here as was chuck shoulder steak and Roma
> tomatoes.
>
> I partially froze the steak and sliced it thin on an angle then marinated
> it in some low-sodium soy sauce while I cut 2 peppers into strips, chunked
> up about one quarter of a large onion and diced some garlic. as well as
> coarse dicing a couple of tomatoes.
>
> Slice a quarter-sized piece of ginger from a hand. Heat a tablespoon of
> peanut oil in a wok and cook the ginger for about 2 minutes. Remove the
> ginger and discard.
>
> Stir-fry the meat in the ginger-flavored oil. Take it out when the pink
> is just gone. Add onions, garlic and peppers and stir fry until starting
> to get tender. Return the meat, any accumulated juices and add the tomato.
> Stir fry until everything is hot.
>
> If you can handle it, you can add a little corn starch slurry to thicken
> the sauce, but I don't.

I can't use peanut oil but I am making garlic steak for dinner. Maybe I
will throw some peppers in there too. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
[...]

I have used raw shole peppers, seeded with tops removed as cases with a
filling like a sandwich filling. I have used flavored cottage cheese(add
finely diced or dried onion flake) dill or sarroway seeds(both of which I
like), Other hersb or seasonings of your choice. I have also used tuna
salad, if you like, with added cubed fresh tomatoes mixed in and stuffed
into the peppers. These can ge eaten out of hand like a sandwich. Might
work for school lunches.

Dinner appetizer sliced assorted pepperssliced onion, salt adn pepper adn
herb or seed seasoning of yur choice. Arrange on a pie plate in a circle,
keeping the solors in separate sections. Add thinly sliced onions adn
seasonings , cover adn microwave until soften as much as you like. Serve
either hot, warm or cold.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Any dip of your or Angela's choice works well instead of chips or totilla
chips. Hummous or any of the other israeli salad inn the containers. I
would think even peanut butter or other nut butters, but they are quite
fatty. Chopped liver, probably seem yukky to you, but it is a great
favorite in my house or vegetarian liver, which is sometimes available in
thoe Sabra packs.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
: b.com...
: > On 7/20/2012 3:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
: >> I need some new ideas for raw bell peppers and perhaps cooked ones too.
: >
: >
[...]

You can use any neutral oil, not olive, but canola or corn, etc. Peanut
is often preferred because of its neutral taste adn high smoking point,
but you can easily substitute.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> : b.com...
> : > On 7/20/2012 3:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> : >> I need some new ideas for raw bell peppers and perhaps cooked ones
> too.
> : >
> : >
> : > Green peppers were on sale here as was chuck shoulder steak and Roma
> : > tomatoes.
> : >
> : > I partially froze the steak and sliced it thin on an angle then
> marinated
> : > it in some low-sodium soy sauce while I cut 2 peppers into strips,
> chunked
> : > up about one quarter of a large onion and diced some garlic. as well
> as
> : > coarse dicing a couple of tomatoes.
> : >
> : > Slice a quarter-sized piece of ginger from a hand. Heat a tablespoon
> of
> : > peanut oil in a wok and cook the ginger for about 2 minutes. Remove
> the
> : > ginger and discard.
> : >
> : > Stir-fry the meat in the ginger-flavored oil. Take it out when the
> pink
> : > is just gone. Add onions, garlic and peppers and stir fry until
> starting
> : > to get tender. Return the meat, any accumulated juices and add the
> tomato.
> : > Stir fry until everything is hot.
> : >
> : > If you can handle it, you can add a little corn starch slurry to
> thicken
> : > the sauce, but I don't.
>
> : I can't use peanut oil but I am making garlic steak for dinner. Maybe I
> : will throw some peppers in there too. Thanks!
> You can use any neutral oil, not olive, but canola or corn, etc. Peanut
> is often preferred because of its neutral taste adn high smoking point,
> but you can easily substitute.

Why not olive? It is pretty much the only oil I used. I used it tonight
for the steaks. I didn't put the peppers in there. They turned out to be
going mushy so I just cut a few good strips from them and served them raw.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : I need some new ideas for raw bell peppers and perhaps cooked ones too.
> Red
> : bell peppers are one of the few vegetables that Angela really likes.
> When
> : the weather cools I plan to make a recipe I have somewhere for unstuffed
> : peppers. She loves the stuffed ones but neither she nor my husband will
> : actually eat the pepper when I make them this way. They both scoop out
> the
> : filling and give me their peppers. I think they are just lazy and don't
> : like eating foods that they have to cut up. But I could be wrong. I
> made
> : Spanish rice and they ate the peppers in it. So I figure they might eat
> the
> : unstuffed. It is basically just like how you would do a stuffed one but
> the
> : pepper is cut up and mixed in. You bake it in a casserole dish. So
> unless
> : I can do it in the microwave I'll wait for cooler weather.
>
> : One thing I like (but haven't tried yet for Angela) is assorted peppers
> cut
> : into little scoop shapes and then served with slightly warmed refried
> beans.
> : This is good with cheese sauce too. Or hummus.
>
> : Mostly I just cut them in strips and give them to her. Or put them in
> her
> : salad. I do also add them to red sauce for pasta and the like.
>
> : Right now they are pretty expensive at $1.99 each. But I need some
> ideas
> : for when I can find a good price. I did find a good price at Winco last
> : week but I am starting to think they don't always sell the freshest
> produce.
> : They were not refrigerated and most were getting shriveled. I won't buy
> : them that way. I did find two that were in good shape but they were
> very
> : small.
>
> I have used raw shole peppers, seeded with tops removed as cases with a
> filling like a sandwich filling. I have used flavored cottage cheese(add
> finely diced or dried onion flake) dill or sarroway seeds(both of which I
> like), Other hersb or seasonings of your choice. I have also used tuna
> salad, if you like, with added cubed fresh tomatoes mixed in and stuffed
> into the peppers. These can ge eaten out of hand like a sandwich. Might
> work for school lunches.
>
> Dinner appetizer sliced assorted pepperssliced onion, salt adn pepper adn
> herb or seed seasoning of yur choice. Arrange on a pie plate in a circle,
> keeping the solors in separate sections. Add thinly sliced onions adn
> seasonings , cover adn microwave until soften as much as you like. Serve
> either hot, warm or cold.

Thanks! I can't see how that would be an appetizer though. We generally
don't eat appetizers and would never have cooked veggies for one if we did
have one.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > No use asking me, I just eat them in strips, raw. Sometimes in a salad
> or
> : > to dip in something (ranch, hommus, cottage cheese etc). Cooked, I use
> : > green. I won't waste the goodness of a red by cooking it. My latest
> : > favourite is blending blue cheese with ranch, the commercial ones are
> : > never strong-tasting enough
>
> : I usually prefer the green in cooked stuff but I have some freeze dried
> red
> : ones that I am trying to use up. They work quite well in a red sauce
> : because they blend right in.
>
> : I have never tasted Ranch. Not that I could because it contains both
> eggs
> : and dairy. It just smells awful to me so I was never tempted. Never
> had
> : blue cheese either. Not even when I ate cheese. Angela likes them both
> but
> : I don't think the Ranch would be allowed on the South Beach diet.
> Perhaps
> : she could just use guacamole.
>
> : Oh joy! Another wacko storm rolling through here. This is the third
> time
> : we've had lightning and thunder this summer. But no hail this time.
> Just a
> : brief rain shower. I did lose my Internet briefly though.
>
> Any dip of your or Angela's choice works well instead of chips or totilla
> chips. Hummous or any of the other israeli salad inn the containers. I
> would think even peanut butter or other nut butters, but they are quite
> fatty. Chopped liver, probably seem yukky to you, but it is a great
> favorite in my house or vegetarian liver, which is sometimes available in
> thoe Sabra packs.
>
> Wendy

What is Israeli salad in containers? I don't think it is something we can
get here. I've never seen chopped liver here either. We don't eat Sabra
because it contains soybean oil and I have only ever seen their hummus. I
have never heard of vegetarian liver. I don't think we have that here
either. I also can't imagine peanut or any nut butter on peppers. Celery?
Yes, but not peppers.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: >
: > : "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
: > : b.com...
: > : > On 7/20/2012 3:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
: > : >> I need some new ideas for raw bell peppers and perhaps cooked ones
: > too.
: > : >
: > : >
[...]

Olive oil has a low smoking point so it cannot get as hot todo the stir
frying as well. i use olive oil for lots of things, but not things that
need very hot oil. I do not deep fry, but one has the same problem with
trying to use olive oil for that kind of cooking.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
[...]

It is quite decorative and low carb and looks "sophisticated" and makes a
nice firest course. You can also use it as a vegetable or a cooked salad
served at room temperature. It also is not a lot of work. I often make
it with fennel seed, which gives a bit of a licorish taste, but that is
not necessary if you don't like a hint of that flavor.
Pretty much anything can be an appetiser or first course.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> : > You can use any neutral oil, not olive, but canola or corn, etc.
> Peanut
> : > is often preferred because of its neutral taste adn high smoking
> point,
> : > but you can easily substitute.
>
> : Why not olive? It is pretty much the only oil I used. I used it
> tonight
> : for the steaks. I didn't put the peppers in there. They turned out to
> be
> : going mushy so I just cut a few good strips from them and served them
> raw.
>
> Olive oil has a low smoking point so it cannot get as hot todo the stir
> frying as well. i use olive oil for lots of things, but not things that
> need very hot oil. I do not deep fry, but one has the same problem with
> trying to use olive oil for that kind of cooking.

Oh! Stir fry. Thanks! But nobody here will eat that. We prefer raw.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > I have used raw shole peppers, seeded with tops removed as cases with
> : > filling like a sandwich filling. I have used flavored cottage
> cheese(add
> : > finely diced or dried onion flake) dill or sarroway seeds(both of
> which I
> : > like), Other hersb or seasonings of your choice. I have also used
> tuna
> : > salad, if you like, with added cubed fresh tomatoes mixed in and
> stuffed
> : > into the peppers. These can ge eaten out of hand like a sandwich.
> Might
> : > work for school lunches.
> : >
> : > Dinner appetizer sliced assorted pepperssliced onion, salt adn pepper
> adn
> : > herb or seed seasoning of yur choice. Arrange on a pie plate in a
> circle,
> : > keeping the solors in separate sections. Add thinly sliced onions adn
> : > seasonings , cover adn microwave until soften as much as you like.
> Serve
> : > either hot, warm or cold.
>
> : Thanks! I can't see how that would be an appetizer though. We
> generally
> : don't eat appetizers and would never have cooked veggies for one if we
> did
> : have one.
>
> It is quite decorative and low carb and looks "sophisticated" and makes a
> nice firest course. You can also use it as a vegetable or a cooked salad
> served at room temperature. It also is not a lot of work. I often make
> it with fennel seed, which gives a bit of a licorish taste, but that is
> not necessary if you don't like a hint of that flavor.
> Pretty much anything can be an appetiser or first course.

We have never eaten courses. Just a meal.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: >
: > : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: > : ...
: > : > Julie Bove > wrote:
: > : >
: > : > : "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
: > : > : b.com...
: > : > : > On 7/20/2012 3:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
: > : > : >> I need some new ideas for raw bell peppers and perhaps cooked
: > ones
: > : > too.
: > : > : >
: > : > : >
[...]

But Janet's recipe says it is a stir fry. Not articularly Chinese, just
some ginger and it is a cooked peppers in pieces recipe which,I believe,
you asked for. It is a simple garlic, onions adn meat stir fry, not that
different from your steak you did the other night.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> I need some new ideas for raw bell peppers and perhaps cooked ones too. Red
> bell peppers are one of the few vegetables that Angela really likes. When
> the weather cools I plan to make a recipe I have somewhere for unstuffed
> peppers. She loves the stuffed ones but neither she nor my husband will
> actually eat the pepper when I make them this way. They both scoop out the
> filling and give me their peppers. I think they are just lazy and don't
> like eating foods that they have to cut up. But I could be wrong. I made
> Spanish rice and they ate the peppers in it. So I figure they might eat the
> unstuffed. It is basically just like how you would do a stuffed one but the
> pepper is cut up and mixed in. You bake it in a casserole dish. So unless
> I can do it in the microwave I'll wait for cooler weather.
>
> One thing I like (but haven't tried yet for Angela) is assorted peppers cut
> into little scoop shapes and then served with slightly warmed refried beans.
> This is good with cheese sauce too. Or hummus.
>
> Mostly I just cut them in strips and give them to her. Or put them in her
> salad. I do also add them to red sauce for pasta and the like.
>
> Right now they are pretty expensive at $1.99 each. But I need some ideas
> for when I can find a good price. I did find a good price at Winco last
> week but I am starting to think they don't always sell the freshest produce.
> They were not refrigerated and most were getting shriveled. I won't buy
> them that way. I did find two that were in good shape but they were very
> small.

if you're going to use them that way, why not buy frozen? it will obviously be
cheaper, last longer and taste the same to your daughter you and your husbands
discerning palette. Not to mention you won't have to clean any utensils or
create a waste problem with your sink
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> them
> : > raw.
> : >
> : > Olive oil has a low smoking point so it cannot get as hot todo the
> stir
> : > frying as well. i use olive oil for lots of things, but not things
> that
> : > need very hot oil. I do not deep fry, but one has the same problem
> with
> : > trying to use olive oil for that kind of cooking.
>
> : Oh! Stir fry. Thanks! But nobody here will eat that. We prefer raw.
>
> But Janet's recipe says it is a stir fry. Not articularly Chinese, just
> some ginger and it is a cooked peppers in pieces recipe which,I believe,
> you asked for. It is a simple garlic, onions adn meat stir fry, not that
> different from your steak you did the other night.

Okay.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/21/2012 2:48 PM, W. Baker wrote:

> But Janet's recipe says it is a stir fry. Not articularly Chinese, just
> some ginger and it is a cooked peppers in pieces recipe which,I believe,
> you asked for. It is a simple garlic, onions adn meat stir fry, not that
> different from your steak you did the other night.

Wendy,

I had every confidence that Julie would find something wrong with my
suggested recipe. I posted it in the hope that it would be interesting
to others. I'm pretty used to Julie's negativity by now.

Have a good week, Wendy.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article om>,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> On 7/21/2012 2:48 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>
> > But Janet's recipe says it is a stir fry. Not articularly Chinese, just
> > some ginger and it is a cooked peppers in pieces recipe which,I believe,
> > you asked for. It is a simple garlic, onions adn meat stir fry, not that
> > different from your steak you did the other night.
> >

> Wendy,
>
> I had every confidence that Julie would find something wrong with my
> suggested recipe. I posted it in the hope that it would be interesting
> to others. I'm pretty used to Julie's negativity by now.
>
> Have a good week, Wendy.

Janet,

One of my favorite things to cook with bell peppers is a sweet & sour
stir fry.

Ingredients
-----------
Chunked bell peppers
Onions cut to match in size (separate the layers)
Chicken (I prefer thigh meat) or pork cut into pieces similar to the
peppers

1 or 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced.
1 or 2 slices fresh ginger root, minced fine.

Sauce ingredients
-----------------

2T vinegar (wine or white)
2T (or equivalent) sweetener (artificial or sugar)
Thickener (I use corn starch) of a quantity suitable to the kind of
thickener
2T cold water

Method
------

- Mix meat with garlic and ginger and set it aside.

- Combine sauce ingredients and set aside.

- Stir fry the veggies in peanut oil for 2 minutes. Remove.

- Stir fry the meat in peanut oil for 2 minutes.

- Return the veggies to the wok and stir fry briefly with the meat.

- Pour the sauce over the whole and keep stir frying, turning
ingredients rapidly, for a total of about 1 minute or until the sauce
thickens.

- Season to taste with salt.

Enjoy!

One could also add a can of sliced water chestnuts (drained) when adding
back the veggies.

Priscilla
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > No use asking me, I just eat them in strips, raw. Sometimes in a salad or
> : > to dip in something (ranch, hommus, cottage cheese etc). Cooked, I use
> : > green. I won't waste the goodness of a red by cooking it. My latest
> : > favourite is blending blue cheese with ranch, the commercial ones are
> : > never strong-tasting enough
>
> : I usually prefer the green in cooked stuff but I have some freeze dried red
> : ones that I am trying to use up. They work quite well in a red sauce
> : because they blend right in.
>
> : I have never tasted Ranch. Not that I could because it contains both eggs
> : and dairy. It just smells awful to me so I was never tempted. Never had
> : blue cheese either. Not even when I ate cheese. Angela likes them both
> : but
> : I don't think the Ranch would be allowed on the South Beach diet. Perhaps
> : she could just use guacamole.
>
> : Oh joy! Another wacko storm rolling through here. This is the third time
> : we've had lightning and thunder this summer. But no hail this time. Just
> : a
> : brief rain shower. I did lose my Internet briefly though.
>
> Any dip of your or Angela's choice works well instead of chips or totilla
> chips. Hummous or any of the other israeli salad inn the containers. I
> would think even peanut butter or other nut butters, but they are quite
> fatty. Chopped liver, probably seem yukky to you, but it is a great
> favorite in my house or vegetarian liver, which is sometimes available in
> thoe Sabra packs.
>
> Wendy

Odd Wikipedia calls Hummus a Levantine Arab food. You know, like taboule.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummus>
It's bad enough that Zionists are stealing Arab lands, without taking
their food too.
<http://www.btselem.org/>

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article om>,
: Janet Wilder > wrote:

: > On 7/21/2012 2:48 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: >
: > > But Janet's recipe says it is a stir fry. Not articularly Chinese, just
: > > some ginger and it is a cooked peppers in pieces recipe which,I believe,
: > > you asked for. It is a simple garlic, onions adn meat stir fry, not that
: > > different from your steak you did the other night.
: > >
: >
: > Wendy,
: >

: -----------

: -----------------

: ------

: - Mix meat with garlic and ginger and set it aside.

: - Combine sauce ingredients and set aside.

: - Stir fry the veggies in peanut oil for 2 minutes. Remove.

: - Stir fry the meat in peanut oil for 2 minutes.

: - Return the veggies to the wok and stir fry briefly with the meat.

: - Pour the sauce over the whole and keep stir frying, turning
: ingredients rapidly, for a total of about 1 minute or until the sauce
: thickens.

: - Season to taste with salt.

: Enjoy!

: One could also add a can of sliced water chestnuts (drained) when adding
: back the veggies.

: Priscilla
: --
: "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
: of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
: - Chris Malcolm

this sounds absolutely delicious and simple. I generally just skip the
thickener, just havign a thin sauce. this is also what I ask for when I
go toe a chinese restuarant(there are a few kosher ones:-). I can tell
when they have followed my instructions beause the sauce if thin and the
food does not shine.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/26/2012 12:22 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> In article om>,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> On 7/21/2012 2:48 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>>
>>> But Janet's recipe says it is a stir fry. Not articularly Chinese, just
>>> some ginger and it is a cooked peppers in pieces recipe which,I believe,
>>> you asked for. It is a simple garlic, onions adn meat stir fry, not that
>>> different from your steak you did the other night.
>>>

>> Wendy,
>>
>> I had every confidence that Julie would find something wrong with my
>> suggested recipe. I posted it in the hope that it would be interesting
>> to others. I'm pretty used to Julie's negativity by now.
>>
>> Have a good week, Wendy.

> Janet,
>
> One of my favorite things to cook with bell peppers is a sweet & sour
> stir fry.
>
> Ingredients
> -----------
> Chunked bell peppers
> Onions cut to match in size (separate the layers)
> Chicken (I prefer thigh meat) or pork cut into pieces similar to the
> peppers
>
> 1 or 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced.
> 1 or 2 slices fresh ginger root, minced fine.
>
> Sauce ingredients
> -----------------
>
> 2T vinegar (wine or white)
> 2T (or equivalent) sweetener (artificial or sugar)
> Thickener (I use corn starch) of a quantity suitable to the kind of
> thickener
> 2T cold water
>
> Method
> ------
>
> - Mix meat with garlic and ginger and set it aside.
>
> - Combine sauce ingredients and set aside.
>
> - Stir fry the veggies in peanut oil for 2 minutes. Remove.
>
> - Stir fry the meat in peanut oil for 2 minutes.
>
> - Return the veggies to the wok and stir fry briefly with the meat.
>
> - Pour the sauce over the whole and keep stir frying, turning
> ingredients rapidly, for a total of about 1 minute or until the sauce
> thickens.
>
> - Season to taste with salt.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> One could also add a can of sliced water chestnuts (drained) when adding
> back the veggies.
>
> Priscilla

Copied and saved. That sounds easy and delicious. AAMOF, there are
some boneless, skinless chicken thighs in the freezer. Just need more
peppers.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article
Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> In article om>,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
> > On 7/21/2012 2:48 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> >
> > > But Janet's recipe says it is a stir fry. Not articularly Chinese, just
> > > some ginger and it is a cooked peppers in pieces recipe which,I believe,
> > > you asked for. It is a simple garlic, onions adn meat stir fry, not that
> > > different from your steak you did the other night.
> > >

> > Wendy,
> >
> > I had every confidence that Julie would find something wrong with my
> > suggested recipe. I posted it in the hope that it would be interesting
> > to others. I'm pretty used to Julie's negativity by now.
> >
> > Have a good week, Wendy.

> Janet,
>
> One of my favorite things to cook with bell peppers is a sweet & sour
> stir fry.
>
> Ingredients
> -----------
> Chunked bell peppers
> Onions cut to match in size (separate the layers)
> Chicken (I prefer thigh meat) or pork cut into pieces similar to the
> peppers
>
> 1 or 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced.
> 1 or 2 slices fresh ginger root, minced fine.
>
> Sauce ingredients
> -----------------
>
> 2T vinegar (wine or white)
> 2T (or equivalent) sweetener (artificial or sugar)
> Thickener (I use corn starch) of a quantity suitable to the kind of
> thickener
> 2T cold water
>
> Method
> ------
>
> - Mix meat with garlic and ginger and set it aside.
>
> - Combine sauce ingredients and set aside.
>
> - Stir fry the veggies in peanut oil for 2 minutes. Remove.
>
> - Stir fry the meat in peanut oil for 2 minutes.
>
> - Return the veggies to the wok and stir fry briefly with the meat.
>
> - Pour the sauce over the whole and keep stir frying, turning
> ingredients rapidly, for a total of about 1 minute or until the sauce
> thickens.
>
> - Season to taste with salt.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> One could also add a can of sliced water chestnuts (drained) when adding
> back the veggies.
>
> Priscilla

Thanks!

canned bell peppers dave Preserving 2 18-07-2012 09:53 AM
Red bell peppers surprise. Andy[_2_] General Cooking 25 01-06-2007 12:25 AM
HUGE Bell Peppers! [email protected] General Cooking 16 16-01-2007 07:29 PM
Sauteed Bell Peppers [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 13-10-2006 01:47 PM
Bell Peppers [email protected] General Cooking 10 27-12-2005 02:20 PM