Old 24-06-2012, 02:58 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Another ban on Big Gulps!

In article , "Julie Bove"
wrote:

What gave them the right to pass *any* law? But making laws about food and
drink (alcohol excepted) is wrong, IMO. Now I have no qualms with them
saying that the manufacturers have to list ingredients or allergens. But to
tell us what we can and can not buy? I'm not even sure I agree with the ban
in NY on trans-fats. People know what they are. If they choose to eat
them. Well... That's their choice.

Why is alcohol allowed? Isn't it a drug? Shouldn't it be treated as such?
I think so but I'm not in charge.

Heck at the rate they are going they are going to ban any food that has more
than a certain number of grams of sugar per serving. Next they might even
monitor our carb intake! And then what? Fried foods? Butter?

I can even understand it if they find something to be unsafe. I am thinking
of cocaine that used to be put in Coca Cola.

exactly what was unsafe about the cocaine in Coca Cola and who determined that
it wasn't safe?

Cough syrup often has more alcohol than beer, should we ban cough syrup?

Yes, it has its uses. But
shouldn't be available OTC. Or Sarsparilla or however you spell it. They
found that to be harmful.

Old 24-06-2012, 04:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Maybe I have

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

I am not getting into the argument but I have never heard you swear,
lol.

Sure you have, you just forgot. :-)

Cheri

Old 24-06-2012, 04:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" wrote in message

Cheri, I think there are a lot of folks who just think it's normal because
they see it all around them and aren't making informed decisions.

Kind of like the folks who were very unsophisticated about banking and
loans and figured if a bank would give them a mortgage, it must be true
that they could afford it.

You and I and some others reading here know how to do the math, others
rely on professionals and advertising too much. Not everyone can make
sense of stuff, not everyone has our depth of interest combined with
ability when it comes to foods and labels.

Susan

I know in my day, yes a long time ago, the portion sizes were small compared
to now. If you got a burger it was about the size of a McDonalds regular
hamburger these days, not very big at all, and I don't ever remember an *all
you can eat" buffet, or Super Size anything. I'm certainly not opposed to
regulations on posting the calorie, fat, carb count of fast foods...even a
huge printed calorie count right down the side of a Big Gulp. ;-) That's as
far as I can go though.

Cheri

Old 24-06-2012, 06:07 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Susan" wrote in message

[...]

When I was a kid we could eat at McDonalds for less than a dollar apiece.
We each got a hamburger or cheeseburger. Mine was a double burger. We each
got a drink. We split a package of fries which were in those days the size
that would be called "regular" now. No doubt that my dad likely went back
if we were actually eating there. He always does this when we have fast
food. The portion is never enough and he gets perhaps another sandwich,
more fries and a dessert. He has always been overweight and I do mean since
birth with the exception of a few months where he lost weight on Weight
Watchers and managed to keep it off. It went back on rapidly.

I do remember plenty of All You Can Eat buffets. A favorite one was the
Jolly Jester. It had animated characters to amuse the children. We went
there once with the neighbors. We were told we could take as much as we
wanted but we had to eat it all. Well let me tell you, those kids could
eat! I already knew they could because the girl once invited me to a
slumber party. She ate a whole large sized bag of Fritos off of the kitchen
floor like a dog. She was dared to do it. Then in the morning the mom put
out Poptarts in several different flavors. Told us we could eat as much as
we wanted. She ate two whole boxes! They also had a candy dish that the
mom would put those Wintergreen or Peppermint Lozenges in. Within minutes
they would be gone. Anyway... At the buffet I think those kids went
through the line three times, each time heaping their plates. And they
weren't taking salad. By the time they finished that last plate, they were
kind of green. They were large sized plates too. Not the kind like you get
now at a buffet. We also had a buffet called The Royal Fork. They're still
around. Just not around here.

Old 24-06-2012, 06:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote:
"Susan" wrote in message
On 6/23/2012 12:11 PM, Cheri wrote:

There is absolutely no reason for the government to be regulating the
size of soft drinks, period. You don't mind, and that's fine, but I
do
mind and that's not going to change. :-)

But there is a reason, health care costs that accrue to all of us.

We may disagree about what's a good reason and what isn't.

How does regulating a size cut health care costs? Or putting high taxes
on cigarettes and alcohol? People will still drink and smoke the same
amounts regardless of personal cost or difficulty in obtaining a
product. I know, I wasn't going to get into this argument. There is no
realistic way at this point in time to cut universal health costs by
putting regulations on things that make us obese or prone to ailments
and illnesses brought on by use of illegal drugs, alcohol, cigarettes or
food/drink/ prescription drug intake. Its just something we have to suck
up, watching our tax dollars get used for things we may not partake of.
Other than health there are many tax payer provided stuff that I have no
or little interest in. I don't as a rule use public transport, the next
tax payer does. I don't do government supported theatre or art
galleries, the next person does. I use public libraries, my neighbour
might not. And so it goes on.

In general, I disapprove of laws regulating what adults do to themselves.
Examples would include seat-belt, helmet, drug and sex laws.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Old 24-06-2012, 06:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: When we had only horses and buggies no one needed a driver's lisence.
: When automobiles came in the government decided we needed lisences and
: made a law that said(if you remember your book you got when first
applying
: for a learner's permit) Driving is a priviledge, not a right. to earn
the
: priviledge you have to pass a test and then continue to drive
safely(not
: too many tickets). What gave the government the right to pass that
law?

[...]

: of cocaine that used to be put in Coca Cola. Yes, it has its uses. But
: shouldn't be available OTC. Or Sarsparilla or however you spell it.
They
: found that to be harmful.

: But to say that you can buy a food or drink but you can only buy so much
at
: once? Beyond ridiculous. Ban the damned stuff or put a warming label
on
: it. But don't treat us like children.
: We accepted it because it seemed clear that something was needed.
:
: thisis where it starts, with someone getting a bright idea of how to
save
: the health of individuals and money (via the health care system) for
the
: citizens who have to pay the health care costs of the indigent.
:
: Wendy

: That isn't going to help. Everyone will now run out and get a Soda
Stream.
: Then they can suck down as much HFCS or Splenda as they want.

But a lot of children are drinking large amounts of the stuff or eating
those huge buckets of glopped up popcorn at teh movies.

If you want you can buy a cold 2 liter bottle of soda and drink it down,
but not at a fod stand in a big bucket with a straw to just gulp down.

They're not doing that here! Maybe some are. But I rarely ever see a child
with a huge popcorn. If they get it at all they usually get the kid package
which is a very small amount of popcorn, a small candy (not the theater
pack) and a small drink. The theaters are also selling a huge amount of
healthy foods and drinks now. People here are very health conscious.

Angela just went through three dance recitals. They had pretzels, tortilla
chips, animal cookies (very few of those got eaten), pizza, sandwiches,
apple slices, veggie plates, a ham, cheeses. Someone brought a huge box of
something that looked like Rice Krispy treats but I think it was made with
Fruity Pebbles. Only two portions of that was eaten. Some of the kids did
have Jamba Juice. I don't know what kind. They do make low sugar ones now.
I saw plenty of coffee and tea. Yes, kids drink coffee here. Tons of
water. One single serve bottle of root beer. Some diet Coke. I did see a
few kids eating cookies or candy but mostly it was healthy food.

Old 24-06-2012, 03:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

I do remember plenty of All You Can Eat buffets. A favorite one was the
Jolly Jester. It had animated characters to amuse the children. We went
there once with the neighbors. We were told we could take as much as we
wanted but we had to eat it all. Well let me tell you, those kids could

You're quite a bit younger than me, and also we lived in the country and had
to travel to town so that may be why I don't remember them. I do know that
there were very few overweight children in the schools I attended.

Cheri

Old 24-06-2012, 07:50 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-archive: yes

On 6/24/2012 2:38 PM, Cheri wrote:

I don't really do McDonald's anymore, but I think something like the
Double BK Whopper was/is the biggest hamburger I've seen. When we first
moved here from the hills (before the chains came to town) the Sno-White
featured a Texas Burger that seemed large, but nothing like now. In the
days of yore, I got the best hamburgers ever from the A&W with the
carhops since A&W originated here. It's still here, but I haven't been
in years. LOL

I've never tasted a single bite of McDonald's hamburger in my life, and
I worked there in college.

I did have some BK whoppers, though.

Many years ago.

Susan
Old 24-06-2012, 08:00 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" wrote in message
x-no-archive: yes

On 6/24/2012 2:38 PM, Cheri wrote:

I don't really do McDonald's anymore, but I think something like the
Double BK Whopper was/is the biggest hamburger I've seen. When we first
moved here from the hills (before the chains came to town) the Sno-White
featured a Texas Burger that seemed large, but nothing like now. In the
days of yore, I got the best hamburgers ever from the A&W with the
carhops since A&W originated here. It's still here, but I haven't been
in years. LOL

I've never tasted a single bite of McDonald's hamburger in my life, and I
worked there in college.

I did have some BK whoppers, though.

Many years ago.

Susan

Occasionally I will get a BK Whopper with no bun, but not often. It's just
so much easier and better tasting to make that stuff at home exactly like I
want it. If I was going to lust after fast food, it would be Long Long
Silver's fish. I really love that, but haven't had it in ages. :-)

Cheri

Old 24-06-2012, 10:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

I do remember plenty of All You Can Eat buffets. A favorite one was the
Jolly Jester. It had animated characters to amuse the children. We went
there once with the neighbors. We were told we could take as much as we
wanted but we had to eat it all. Well let me tell you, those kids could

You're quite a bit younger than me, and also we lived in the country and
had to travel to town so that may be why I don't remember them. I do know
that there were very few overweight children in the schools I attended.

We had some. There was at least once in every class. Heck my dad was
overweight as a child as was his dad.

Old 25-06-2012, 12:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Ozgirl" wrote:

How does regulating a size cut health care costs? Or putting high taxes
on cigarettes and alcohol? People will still drink and smoke the same
amounts regardless of personal cost or difficulty in obtaining a
product.

that's just wrong. you only have to look at the general downward trend of
smokers in states that tax tobacco heavily. in addition, while it may not have
an immediate effect, there are incremental decreases due to these high costs to
deter new smokers. finally, while the higher cost might not deter specific
individuals on their own due to that cost, as the disposable income becomes
scarcer in "relationships", the pressure is increased on the smoker to quit by
the "spouse"

Old 25-06-2012, 02:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 25/06/2012 9:03 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
"Ozgirl" wrote:

How does regulating a size cut health care costs? Or putting high taxes
on cigarettes and alcohol? People will still drink and smoke the same
amounts regardless of personal cost or difficulty in obtaining a
product.

that's just wrong. you only have to look at the general downward trend of
smokers in states that tax tobacco heavily. in addition, while it may not have
an immediate effect, there are incremental decreases due to these high costs to
deter new smokers. finally, while the higher cost might not deter specific
individuals on their own due to that cost, as the disposable income becomes
scarcer in "relationships", the pressure is increased on the smoker to quit by
the "spouse"

Not sure where in the world you are but here the market for illegal
tobacco increases every time they raise the price of tobacco products
there is no tobacco legally grown in Australia any-more but there is a
huge black market in illegal products if there is money to be made the
crooks will do it. shades of Prohibition if the Government tax is too
high someone will start making or growing it,

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=

Old 29-06-2012, 06:26 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , RodS wrote:

[...]

seriously doubt if there is much illegal tobacco on the left-coast, but even if
there is, it is more likely that people would rather suffer the misdemeanor of a
public toke than the federal crime of no tax-stamp on their tobacco
Old 29-06-2012, 06:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message

seriously doubt if there is much illegal tobacco on the left-coast, but
even if
there is, it is more likely that people would rather suffer the
misdemeanor of a
public toke than the federal crime of no tax-stamp on their tobacco

I think you're wrong there. Cigarette smuggling has been increasing here in
CA according to newspapers.

Cheri

Old 29-06-2012, 07:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

seriously doubt if there is much illegal tobacco on the left-coast, but
even if
there is, it is more likely that people would rather suffer the
misdemeanor of a
public toke than the federal crime of no tax-stamp on their tobacco

I think you're wrong there. Cigarette smuggling has been increasing here
in CA according to newspapers.

Cheri

Here too. It was on the news some time back. They were being sold
illegally at a bubble tea shop.