Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sugar is in everything! Aargh!

I have just finished the first South Beach diet book and am not looking
forward to this diet even though I am not the one eating it. She can not
have any sugar. Not even a speck of it. And sugar is in most of the lunch
meats and cooked meats you can buy. I guess I already knew this and forgot
about it. I do remember reading packages before although I can't really
remember now why I was doing this. Maybe when my husband said he was going
to go on Atkins and didn't? Not sure.

So now I have a huge stuffed bag of refrigerated stuff to send over to my
nephew and his GF. Stuff she can't and I won't or can't eat. Also a case
of apples from Costco. No fruit is allowed for the first two weeks and I
can't eat a whole case of apples in a week.

Also two bags of shelf stable stuff for him. Luckily most of the pasta I
bought is whole wheat and that is what she can eat in week three. She did
pick up two bags of regular pasta at Whole Foods because it was cheap. I
didn't stop her because she was so happy to have found a bargain. I also
took pity on him and bought a couple of cans of pasta sauce to go with the
pasta and a jar of pizza sauce to go with the pizza dough that I bought.
And there is a roll of French bread dough so he can make sandwiches for the
turkey I am sending over. I also threw in a couple of bags of cheese that I
already had. Now that I can't eat cheese, the cheese consumption in this
house is waaaay down and much of what we have will expire before Angela can
eat it. My husband will be home on the 20th but he will only be here for 9
days and we will be very busy during that time period so not sure how many
dairy meals I will be able to make. Mostly I will be trying to feed him
stuff that we have in the freezer that the two of us can no longer eat.

We took a bag full of beef jerky to the food bank today. It had sugar in
it. Luckily the individually wrapped ones that she took in her lunch today
do not contain sugar. And on snap, I forgot to buy more today. They are
expensive though. About $10 for three servings.

I have three more really stuffed bags to take to the food bank. Mostly rice
products. There is some really good Risotto but it doesn't have brown rice
and it does have basil so that is out. Also some soup and a couple of
single serve meals. And another nasty can of those chili beans that not
only spiked me but didn't taste good to me. I'm sure there is nothing wrong
with them. They just don't taste the way chili beans tasted in my memory.

I think the idea of this diet is to cook your meat from scratch but... I
just don't see how I could do some things. For instance, only certain parts
of the chicken are allowed, even on the weeks beyond week two. No legs or
wings are allowed. And all of the recipes call for boneless, skinless
chicken breasts. We can get those pre-cooked with no sugar although some
brands do contain sugar. I tried to cook a turkey breast once. It just
wasn't good. And again with turkey you can not eat all parts. Just the
white meat. Albertsons sells a cooked turkey breast. I thought it tasted
funny but Angela liked it. Not sure if it had sugar in it. I can easily do
a roast beef but... She is not overly fond of roast beef and I am not
entirely sure that is even allowed on this diet. Mostly they are pushing
chicken and fish. But she has refused to eat any fish besides tuna.

I just hope the weight comes off quickly. Otherwise this is going to be a
loooong haul!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> I just hope the weight comes off quickly. Otherwise this is going to be a
> loooong haul!

with your inability/unwillingness to cook from scratch, this is a given