FoodBanter.com

-   -   Ping Janet Wilder (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/416879-ping-janet-wilder.html)

W. Baker 06-04-2012 12:16 AM

Ping Janet Wilder

Janet,

I am in the midst of making your almond macaroons wth the Pesach sucraloe
sweetener. Unfortunately I accidentally deleted the recipe adn
immediately jotted down my memeory and wel will see how it turns out. I
made one change as I had no vanilla KLP so I added powdered ginger.

Coul dyou eithe r post here or email me the recipe so I can have it in my
files as I will, surely not have remembered all the details now, will not
by next year(or even next week:-)

Have a wonderful Pesach to you and to all to whom it applies on this list.

Wendy-so happy not to be cooking for the Seder anymore

Janet Wilder[_1_] 08-04-2012 12:22 AM

Ping Janet Wilder

On 4/5/2012 6:16 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Janet,
>
> I am in the midst of making your almond macaroons wth the Pesach sucraloe
> sweetener. Unfortunately I accidentally deleted the recipe adn
> immediately jotted down my memeory and wel will see how it turns out. I
> made one change as I had no vanilla KLP so I added powdered ginger.
>
> Coul dyou eithe r post here or email me the recipe so I can have it in my
> files as I will, surely not have remembered all the details now, will not
> by next year(or even next week:-)
>
> Have a wonderful Pesach to you and to all to whom it applies on this list.
>
> Wendy-so happy not to be cooking for the Seder anymore

So sorry to be late, Wendy. We were out of town and just got back late
yesterday in time to clean up and go to the communal seder. Here's the
recipe for regular year.

chag samaich!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Almond Macaroons

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cookies

1 1/2 cups blanched almonds
1 cup Splenda
1/4 tsp salt
2 large egg whites
1/4 tsp vanilla
butter-flavor cooking spray

In a food processor grind fine the almonds with the Splenda and salt.
In a bowl, beat the egg whites until they are foamy (just before soft
peaks form) and fold in the almond mixture, gently but thoroughly.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and "butter" or spray the
parchment. Spoon batter onto the parchment by half-teaspoons, placing
the mounds 2 inches apart.

Bake in the middle of a pre-heated 300 degree oven for 20 minutes or
until they are golden around the edges. Let them cool on the parchment.
Peel the macaroons from the parchment and store them in an airtight
container.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

KROM 08-04-2012 07:47 PM

Ping Janet Wilder

I made these yesterday..very good!

I bet these would be as good with unsweetened shredded coconut.

KROM

"Janet Wilder" wrote

W. Baker 08-04-2012 08:16 PM

Ping Janet Wilder

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: On 4/5/2012 6:16 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: > Janet,
: >
[...]

: Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
: -------- ------------ --------------------------------
: 1 1/2 cups blanched almonds
: 1 cup Splenda
: 1/4 tsp salt
: 2 large egg whites
: 1/4 tsp vanilla
: butter-flavor cooking spray

: In a food processor grind fine the almonds with the Splenda and salt.
: In a bowl, beat the egg whites until they are foamy (just before soft
: peaks form) and fold in the almond mixture, gently but thoroughly.

: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and "butter" or spray the
: parchment. Spoon batter onto the parchment by half-teaspoons, placing
: the mounds 2 inches apart.

: Bake in the middle of a pre-heated 300 degree oven for 20 minutes or
: until they are golden around the edges. Let them cool on the parchment.
: Peel the macaroons from the parchment and store them in an airtight
: container.

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Way-the-heck-south Texas
: Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Thanks. I did get therecipe from Susan who found it on line for me. I
made the, as Imentioned, by memory! I used pre-ground almonds that I had
bought for the holiday, findign that 1 1/2C of blanched almonds weighed 9
ounces(trust Joy of Cooking wedding present 48 ears ago:-) I had no
vanilla KLP so added powdered ginger fo rflavor. I foudn the dough kid of
hard, so I measured adn kind of hand rolled them out of the measuring
spoon. They didn't spread so I had kid of rsmall round balls, with nice
flavor, but crumbly and slightly gritty. I wonder if the already ground
alonds might benefit from further grinding in the FP. As I mentioned in
my earlier post I migh try larger egg whites next time. What are your
thoughts?

They taste wonderful and I am enjoing thembut definitely not for
company:-)

Wendy

Cheri[_3_] 09-04-2012 12:03 AM

Ping Janet Wilder

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
>I made these yesterday..very good!
>
> I bet these would be as good with unsweetened shredded coconut.
>
> KROM

These are really good from Myra

Myra's Coconut-Almond Macaroons

4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup Splenda (or equivalent AS)
1/2 cup finely ground, blanched almonds
2 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, whip the egg whites, salt and vanilla until frothy, then,
as you keep whipping, slowly pour in the Splenda. Whip until stiff peaks
form - but not dried out. Fold in the almonds and coconut.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drop the macaroon batter by
rounded tablespoons about 1/2-1 inch apart on the parchment (macaroons don't
rise or spread, so you can put them close together).

Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Turn off the oven heat, open the door slightly, and let the macaroons sit in
the oven until cool - this keeps the moisture content down.

Store in an airtight container.

Makes about 2 dozen macaroons, about 1.67 carbs each. If you make this
recipe with Splenda tablets instead of bulk, the carb count drops down to
about .8 carb each.

*If the coconut a bit dry starting out, put in a bowl and sprinkle about 1
TBS water over it and let set in fridge for 1/2 hour or so before using.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 09-04-2012 05:31 AM

Ping Janet Wilder

On 4/8/2012 1:47 PM, KROM wrote:
> I made these yesterday..very good!
>
> I bet these would be as good with unsweetened shredded coconut.
>
> KROM

Here's a coconut one":

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coconut Macaroons

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 15 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cookies
1/2 cup egg whites -- 3 or 4
Sweetener equivalent to 1 1/4 cups sugar (30
packets)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
4 tablespoons coconut milk -- leche do coco
2 tablespoons water

mix water, coconut and coconut milk with coconut, incorporating it with
the back of a soup spoon.

Beat egg whites until fluffy but not stiff. Stir in sweetener, salt,
vanilla. Blend in coconut.

Bake at 325 about 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.

"Sugar-free macaroons"

Yield:
"30 cookies"

NOTES :
I used a measuring tablespoon to form the cookies. Recipe makes about
30 cookies.
Notes: The unsweetened coconut is dry. I used coconut milk, available
in the Latino foods aisle (Goya brand) and water to moisten the coconut.

KROM 09-04-2012 05:43 PM

Ping Janet Wilder

yum!..ty!

KROM

KROM 09-04-2012 05:47 PM

Ping Janet Wilder

I cant find unsweetened coconut anywhere in my area its very frustrating.

last time I got some was online and it was pricey

going to check sams club tomorrow.

KROM

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
b.com...

Alice Faber 09-04-2012 06:01 PM

Ping Janet Wilder

In article >, "KROM" >
wrote:

> I cant find unsweetened coconut anywhere in my area its very frustrating.
>
> last time I got some was online and it was pricey
>
> going to check sams club tomorrow.

I think I found some once at a health-food store.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Cheri[_3_] 09-04-2012 06:02 PM

Ping Janet Wilder

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
>I cant find unsweetened coconut anywhere in my area its very frustrating.
>
> last time I got some was online and it was pricey
>
> going to check sams club tomorrow.

I don't know if Raley's Supermarket or Bel Air is native to CA, and not in
your area, but they always have it for around 2.50 a bag.

Cheri

Janet Wilder[_1_] 09-04-2012 06:33 PM

Ping Janet Wilder

On 4/9/2012 11:47 AM, KROM wrote:
> I cant find unsweetened coconut anywhere in my area its very frustrating.
>
> last time I got some was online and it was pricey
>
> going to check sams club tomorrow.

I don't believe Sam's carries it. One of the local supermarkets has a
bulk foods aisle and I can find it there. Health food stores where they
sell bulk foods is also a good place to get it.

KROM 10-04-2012 07:10 PM

Ping Janet Wilder

I think there is a Asian grocery near me that will likely carry it..the only
health food store near me is a co-op and you have to be a member for like
300 bucks a year and they do the bulk bins thing which I detest cause I'm a
germaphobe..lol

KROM

KROM 10-04-2012 07:10 PM

Ping Janet Wilder

none near me but ty!

KROM

KROM 10-04-2012 07:11 PM

Ping Janet Wilder

nope was not at sams..though I did get a bulk bag of raw almonds 3 pounds
for 8.99..lol

KROM

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...