Old 27-03-2012, 10:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you overeat at buffets?

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:23:05 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
.. .

A good philosophy. Especially the "You can take what you want but
you have to eat what you take" part.

I believe that children should be taught to calculate their needs
properly and to respect and honor the fact that everything on the
table came from someone's efforts, to grow, transport, cook, serve,
etc.

Evelyn

I like to tell this story...once when I took a big helping, and I mean big
helping of my mom's canned cherries, she asked if I'm sure I'm going to want
all of that. I said yes. Well, I didn't really want all of that and couldn't
finish, so I did sit at that damned kitchen table looking at those cherries
for a very long time before she set me free...to never do that again. LOL

Cheri

Your mom was a wise woman. Wisdom is unfortunately a very rare trait.

Evelyn

Old 27-03-2012, 10:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:

I grew up in a house where it was no big deal to waste food. So it
doesn't
bother me at all. We don't set out to waste food but it happens and it
sure
as heck doesn't bother me. People who insist on eating every bite drive
me
nuts!

I grew up in a solid middle class home. Money for things we needed, and
even for most things we *wanted*, wasn't an issue. But I was raised not
to waste money. We got new clothes when we outgrew our old clothes, and
for the first day of school, but not necessarily because we wanted the
latest fad. My sister and I were encouraged to save our allowances for
things we wanted.

OTOH I pretty much always got the latest fad and in some cases at my school,
I started it. I did a display window for DECA using shoes from a downtown
shoe store. I featured the new Famolare Get There shoes. This was in the
1970's. The owner was so pleased that when he got new stock, he would call
me, let me buy a pair then wait two days to put the shoes out on the floor.
He also gave me a big discount on the shoes. That was the start of my
collecting shoes. I had one of every kind they made.

In that context, wasting food is wasting money. Sure, once in a while
you end up with more than you can eat in a restaurant and no way to keep
the leftovers chilled. But in the grocery store, cost is very much a
consideration. Whole chicken is cheaper, per pound, than boneless
breasts. Pre-washed salad costs substantially more than a head of
lettuce does. Plain yoghurt in large tubs is cheaper per serving than
the same yoghurt in single-serving containers, and also lets me decide
what size serving I want. (This kind of buying frees up grocery money
for additive-free peanut butter and such like.) In any case, it makes me
very sad to read about a lifestyle built around deliberately wasting
money.

I don't buy something simply because it is cheaper. Parents have tried to
use me to help explain to their kids why it is better to buy a big bag of
something from the store rather than from a machine. I am a bad person to
ask. I love machines! I always have.

And where did it say that I deliberately waste money? I did not. But you
do know there are countless people who do just that. Right?

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Old 27-03-2012, 10:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" wrote in message
lol..its wrong that I'm giggling hard over the "pinking" of
yourself...hehe

maybe today is the day she cheered me up!

lol. Mothers are used to having weird things on themselves, like finding
yourself at the supermarket with baby poop on your shirt. Last night my
17 yr old son tried to write on me. I'm like WTF??? He said oh come on,
its been years since I have drawn on you, let me do it just once, lol.
Weirdo.

:-D

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote ...

Miss Happiness was the opposite this morning. Had to really conjole
and bribe her every step of the way from bed to bath to brekky to bus.
She has left with her hair not done but a bright pink spray of hair
colour across the front A new every day habit that started with
Crazy Hair day at school a few weeks ago, sigh. I am covered in pink
spray because I turned the can the wrong way in my haste to get her
out the door. Every day I have to excite with her something to get her
moving. Luckily there is dancing, sailing, swimming and Scouts

Old 28-03-2012, 12:36 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
: On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:23:05 -0700, "Cheri"
: wrote:

: "Evelyn" wrote in message
: .. .
:
[...]

My mom always gave a small portion or suggested we take a small one as
there was always more for seconds, and there always was.

Wendy
Old 28-03-2012, 02:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Evelyn wrote:
: On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:23:05 -0700, "Cheri"
: wrote:

: "Evelyn" wrote in message
: .. .
:
[...]

We just got a plate. Sometimes there was more of some foods. Usually not.

Old 28-03-2012, 06:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Jacquie wrote:

: "Bj?rn Steensrud" wrote in message
: ...
: KROM wrote:
:
: its more of the fact people don?t wash their hands after the bathroom
: more
: then just germs.
:
: think about this..everyone going into a buffet uses the door handle
then
: the money to pay if its pay ahead like many are then they touch the
chair
: or the tables etc to get their seats then they get right to the
buffet
: and
: start touching everything.
:
: nobody goes to the place goes to the bathroom to wash their hands and
: then
: goes to the line..
:
: KROM
:
: Heh. I noticed a grandson (5 years old at the time) washing his hands
: after
: the bathroom - he used his elbow to close the faucet. But then, both
his
: parents are MDs (and now PhDs).
: :-)
:
:
: I heard somewhere to have your child sing a verse of Happy Birthday or a
: song that is the same length and tell them to keep on washing until they
are
: done with the song...makes it a bit more fun:

I learned that here frome a former poster, Barbara "pointy-?" who had been
a nurse adn told us that they had been taught tht in nursing school.

Wendy

My Sister is a nurse..maybe that's who I heard it from

Old 28-03-2012, 06:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol...I dated a hippie girl with a baby and was horrified as a germaphobe to
see her shirt used as a Kleenex and my shirt used as a emergency diaper when
she ran out at the beach...

was a real eye opener..

I love babies and liked her so I tolerated all manner of grossness..lol

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote t...