Diabetic (alt.food.diabetic) This group is for the discussion of controlled-portion eating plans for the dietary management of diabetes.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,297
Default Stevia

"KROM" wrote:
I loved the splenda with fiber instead of malto dextrin or whatever as it
had no aftertaste..but last two boxes or so had a metallic taste and
looks the same as the regular now.

so I'm calling shenagins on them..

as I've said before companies make a thing great until they get a fan
base then go cheap because they figure most wont notice..

sad..


I order granulated Splenda online. It comes in 550 gm bags, consists of
maltodextrin and sucralose and still tastes fine to me. Sorry it doesn't
for you.

--
Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

  #17 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,614
Default Stevia

Do you have truth in labelling laws?

"KROM" wrote in message
...
I loved the splenda with fiber instead of malto dextrin or whatever as
it had no aftertaste..but last two boxes or so had a metallic taste
and looks the same as the regular now.

so I'm calling shenagins on them..

as I've said before companies make a thing great until they get a fan
base then go cheap because they figure most wont notice..

sad..

KROM


"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
...

"KROM" wrote:
every stevia product I see is like one percent stevia and 90 percent
erythritol or xlitol and the rest fillers so I see no point in it.

[ . . . . ]

One of my daughters gave me a couple of stevia products for Christmas.
I
tasted each, so I could tell, her I did. I didn't care them and gave
them
to one of my other daughters. I really like the taste of Splenda and
it
doesn't raise my BG.

--
Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
families: https://semperfifund.org
https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper
Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper
Fi~

  #18 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,297
Default Stevia

"Ozgirl" wrote:
Do you have truth in labelling laws?

"KROM" wrote in message


I loved the splenda with fiber instead of malto dextrin or whatever as
it had no aftertaste..but last two boxes or so had a metallic taste
and looks the same as the regular now.

so I'm calling shenagins on them..

as I've said before companies make a thing great until they get a fan
base then go cheap because they figure most wont notice..

sad..


"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"KROM" wrote:
every stevia product I see is like one percent stevia and 90 percent
erythritol or xlitol and the rest fillers so I see no point in it.

[ . . . . ]

One of my daughters gave me a couple of stevia products for Christmas.
I
tasted each, so I could tell, her I did. I didn't care them and gave
them
to one of my other daughters. I really like the taste of Splenda and
it
doesn't raise my BG.


Not sure if you're asking me or KROM, but as far as I know, we do have
truth-in-labeling laws here in the USA. Of course, they're written by
politicians or bureaucratic hacks, so caveat emptor, eh?

--
Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
  #19 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-03-2012, 06:06 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 364
Default Stevia

the most annoying example thats easy to see is of all things..toilet paper!
you can buy the exact same brand and you will see the size of the rolls
wildly change from generous well made rolls one time to the next time you go
to buy it its thin and scratchy pitiful rolls.

I notice that the companies cant decide either ..sometimes when it is on
sale its nicer..as if to entice new buyers and other times the one sale
rolls are a joke as if to show that your getting a bargain even though you
are not..

makes me mad..lol

KROM


"Cheri" wrote in message ...

"KROM" wrote in message ...
I loved the splenda with fiber instead of malto dextrin or whatever as it
had no aftertaste..but last two boxes or so had a metallic taste and looks
the same as the regular now.

so I'm calling shenagins on them..

as I've said before companies make a thing great until they get a fan base
then go cheap because they figure most wont notice..

sad..

KROM


Yep, just like some of those mail order diabetes suppliers, starting you out
with a good brand strips, meter, etc., and then switching you to the cheaper
version. It's really annoying to have suppliers making products smaller and
charging the same too, just have the same size and charge more if you have
to without all the presto magic tricks.

Cheri

  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-03-2012, 06:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 364
Default Stevia

companies take the gamble..

for example they make millions off a thing before getting caught and when
caught the fine is a whopping 5000 dollars..hardly a incentive to be honest.

even worst is I notice that a lot food that are recalled go on a deep sale
right before..meaning the company knew and purposely sols bad product to
make as much as they could before the recall..

also its hard to nail them down on a product change like using cheaper
ingredients..its the same product..just inferior

and again companies will eventually change the label when forced and pay a
tiny fine

KROM




"Ozgirl" wrote in message ...

Do you have truth in labelling laws?

"KROM" wrote in message
...
I loved the splenda with fiber instead of malto dextrin or whatever as it
had no aftertaste..but last two boxes or so had a metallic taste and looks
the same as the regular now.

so I'm calling shenagins on them..

as I've said before companies make a thing great until they get a fan base
then go cheap because they figure most wont notice..

sad..

KROM


"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
...

"KROM" wrote:
every stevia product I see is like one percent stevia and 90 percent
erythritol or xlitol and the rest fillers so I see no point in it.

[ . . . . ]

One of my daughters gave me a couple of stevia products for Christmas. I
tasted each, so I could tell, her I did. I didn't care them and gave them
to one of my other daughters. I really like the taste of Splenda and it
doesn't raise my BG.

--
Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~




  #21 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 14-03-2012, 01:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
Default Stevia

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:42:04 -0700, Cheri wrote:

"adiabic" wrote in message
.com...
On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:25:49 -0700, Cheri wrote:

[snip

I have the liquid Stevia and that has no licorice taste or aftertaste,
but some of the older versions of the packets used to, don't know
about them now though.

Cheri


That's good news. that you have found liquid Stevia with no aftertaste.
Could you please tell me the brand so I can look for it?
Thanks


Sure, it's "Wisdom of The Ancients" brand. I bought it at the health
food store. It comes in a dropper bottle and lasts a long time.

Cheri


Thanks!
  #22 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 14-03-2012, 07:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 408
Default Stevia

In article ,
Nick Cramer wrote:

"Ozgirl" wrote:
Do you have truth in labelling laws?

"KROM" wrote in message


I loved the splenda with fiber instead of malto dextrin or whatever as
it had no aftertaste..but last two boxes or so had a metallic taste
and looks the same as the regular now.

so I'm calling shenagins on them..

as I've said before companies make a thing great until they get a fan
base then go cheap because they figure most wont notice..

sad..


"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"KROM" wrote:
every stevia product I see is like one percent stevia and 90 percent
erythritol or xlitol and the rest fillers so I see no point in it.

[ . . . . ]

One of my daughters gave me a couple of stevia products for Christmas.
I
tasted each, so I could tell, her I did. I didn't care them and gave
them
to one of my other daughters. I really like the taste of Splenda and
it
doesn't raise my BG.


Not sure if you're asking me or KROM, but as far as I know, we do have
truth-in-labeling laws here in the USA. Of course, they're written by
politicians or bureaucratic hacks, so caveat emptor, eh?


And a law without any enforcement is useless.

PP
--
"What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
- Chris Malcolm
  #23 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 14-03-2012, 07:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 408
Default Stevia

In article ,
adiabic wrote:

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:42:04 -0700, Cheri wrote:

"adiabic" wrote in message
.com...
On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:25:49 -0700, Cheri wrote:

[snip

I have the liquid Stevia and that has no licorice taste or aftertaste,
but some of the older versions of the packets used to, don't know
about them now though.

Cheri

That's good news. that you have found liquid Stevia with no aftertaste.
Could you please tell me the brand so I can look for it?
Thanks


Sure, it's "Wisdom of The Ancients" brand. I bought it at the health
food store. It comes in a dropper bottle and lasts a long time.

Cheri


Thanks!


I just found a bunch of others at Lucky Vitamin:

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/sb-liquid-stevia

PP
--
"What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
- Chris Malcolm
  #24 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 14-03-2012, 07:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 408
Default Stevia

In article ,
Evelyn wrote:

I don't find the liquid to have a taste at all, just sweetness, but everyone
varies and I used to hate the powdered Stevia. Splenda leaves a really nasty
aftertaste to me, so I use Nutra-Sweet powder, and Sweetz-Free for cooking.
However, I'm finding that the Sweetz-Free is starting to have a bit of an
aftertaste too. I imagine tastes change or something.

Cheri



Cheri, my brother cannot STAND the taste of Splenda either. I like it
and find it has no aftertaste at all. But my brother is also used to
using nutra-sweet (Equal) in soda, coffee, etc. It seems that the
people who are used to the taste of Nutra sweet are the ones who most
dislike the taste of Splenda.

Strange... but it is that way.

Evelyn


I can taste every artificial sweetener I've tried other than sugar
alcohols. Splenda, Equal, saccarine -- they all taste like I'm sucking
pennies unless they're in dairy. If they're in dairy and I don't use a
lot, I don't get the aftertaste.

I'm going to try some liquid Stevia.

PP
--
"What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
- Chris Malcolm


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stevia Wonder Paul M. Cook General Cooking 2 18-10-2010 05:43 PM
Stevia? Steve B[_6_] General Cooking 24 24-03-2010 07:22 PM
Baking & Stevia lakota Baking 6 04-01-2006 08:40 AM
Stevia Joan Diabetic 17 22-02-2004 04:21 PM
stevia Heather Diabetic 3 21-01-2004 09:03 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017