Old 24-02-2012, 12:01 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Lasagna mess!

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 22:05:38 -0600, BlueBrooke
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 07:17:16 -0500, Evelyn
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 21:05:48 -0600, BlueBrooke
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 18:24:02 -0500, Evelyn
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:38:03 -0600, BlueBrooke
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:28:16 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
wrote:

Weren't the edges hanging over? I would trim them and once cooked if you
don't liek the edges crispy, cut them off.

Wendy

I love the crispy parts. My guys don't care, so I never have to fight
for them. Always got the "butt" of the meatloaf, too, probably for
the same reason. :-D

Reading about these lasagne noodles, I decided to give them a try this
weekend. Sweetie is home and loves lasagne, but I haven't made a
homemade version in years and years. Fortunately, he'll pretty much
eat anything -- so the only question will be if we ever try it again.
:-)

Just follow the instructions and the recipe right on the box of
Barilla lasagna noodles and you will not go wrong!

I'll try -- but when did they start printing that stuff so small? :-D

Good luck!

Thanks!

Unfortunately the box itself is tiny, so that's why. But it is the
perfect proportions.

I might add one tip I got from the maker of the very best lasagna I
have ever tasted. She beats the Ricotta cheese with her mixer to
smooth it. It makes for a nicer texture.... more creamy.

Evelyn

It was already in the oven before I saw this, but it's all good. It
came out awesome -- even with the eggs, which I almost didn't use.

This is definitely going to be on Sweetie's "home-cooked meal" list.
:-)

The eggs make ALL the difference. They cause the ricotta cheese to
firm up during the baking process. Otherwise you just end up with
mush. I tried it without once when I was out of eggs, and the cheese
separated and got a bit watery. It wasn't inedible or anything like
that, but it just wasn't as nice a dish.

Evelyn

Old 24-02-2012, 03:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

:
: It was already in the oven before I saw this, but it's all good. It
: came out awesome -- even with the eggs, which I almost didn't use.
:
: This is definitely going to be on Sweetie's "home-cooked meal" list.
: :-)

: The eggs make ALL the difference. They cause the ricotta cheese to
: firm up during the baking process. Otherwise you just end up with
: mush. I tried it without once when I was out of eggs, and the cheese
: separated and got a bit watery. It wasn't inedible or anything like
: that, but it just wasn't as nice a dish.

: Evelyn

So essentially you are making a custard, rather like the Sicilian
cheesecake I "diabeticized" to coin a work, some years ago. Mostly
ricotta sweetener, eggs, and orange (lots of rind) for flavoring. I must
dig up my old recipe and I will post it if i find it.

Wendy
Old 24-02-2012, 03:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 15:45:44 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
wrote:

Evelyn wrote:
[...]

That sounds like the famous ricotta pie that so many Italians (and me)
love. But the lasagna is savory, not sweet.... and it can be made
with or without meat or vegetables or none, as you wish.

Evelyn
Old 24-02-2012, 04:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

: wrote:

: Evelyn wrote:
: : On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 22:05:38 -0600, BlueBrooke
: :
: : It was already in the oven before I saw this, but it's all good. It
: : came out awesome -- even with the eggs, which I almost didn't use.
: :
: : This is definitely going to be on Sweetie's "home-cooked meal" list.
: : :-)
:
:
[...]

Of course it's savory. there are sweet and savory custards all over the
lot. It ws the ricota/egg combo that caught my eye.

Wendy
Old 24-02-2012, 04:41 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

That's what happened to me too. The flax solved the problem. It does give
it a bit of graininess though.

Old 24-02-2012, 04:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

Evelyn wrote:
[...]

My MIL made a ricotta pie and it was not good at all. My husband had warned
me about it but I forgot when she offered me a piece. It had no flavor at
all and wasn't really sweet.

Old 24-02-2012, 06:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 08:43:33 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Evelyn wrote:
[...]

It needs the right additions to give it flavor. Sometimes you have to
experiment with a recipe a bit to tweak the flavor the way you like
it. I knew a woman who put chocolate bits into the bottom of her
ricotta pie.

Evelyn
Old 24-03-2012, 07:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

Probably when they decided that all cooks kept magnifying glasses in
their kitchens.

Robert Miles