Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Julie's Stuffed Shells

On 2/8/2012 1:22 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Tiger > wrote in message
>> On 2/7/2012 5:41 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>>> It is hard for people to keep track of all your allergies and food
>>> dislikes and if not allergic to eggs many may not bother with the
>>> ingredients on the egg substitutes, as they are called. In addition,
>>> many
>>> who have issues with eggs have issues with only the yolks or the whites.
>>> I remember this being an issue with some kids when my kids were young.
>>>
>>> Many folks, if they have no issues with certain kinds of food see no need
>>> to read ingredient lists. Often nutritional information is what concerns
>>> then if hey are not bothered by allergies. I only check for certain
>>> ingredients if I am having someone over who is sensetive to some
>>> ingredient like nuts or gluten, etc. Otherwise they are of no concern to
>>> me so why squint at print almost iillegible to me with my macular
>>> degeneration just to see if they do or don't have something I don't care
>>> about. I may check for kosher issues, but not for stuff others might be
>>> allergic to, unless they are my house guest.
>>>
>>> Wendy

>> ty Wendy, very eloquent
>>
>> i have enough to manage MY OWN LIFE that i really don't make someone
>> else's AND their ENTIRE family's allgeries, food intolerance, texture
>> dislikes, flavour dislikes, and more............... in my mind
>>
>> i DO PITY the person who has to track all this, it must be a full time job
>> in itself............ and then there is poor hubby who must attempt to
>> partake in a 'normal meal' that he enjoys....................
>>
>> it's all just too sad and more to pity

> Will you please stop!? I really don't need people making fun of me here.
> There is nothing sad in my life and nothing to be pitied. Please, please
> just stop!
>
> My husband doesn't even live here so why are you dragging him into it? He
> has had no complaints about the food I serve him when he is here.
>
> I have made meals for my husband's extended family. I remember which person
> likes what and dislikes what. It really isn't a problem at all. Sometimes
> I have made say...two forms of potatoes or two side dishes but seriously it
> is not a problem. I also remember who likes what in my own family. Perhaps
> because I am so attuned to what people like and dislike because I wouldn't
> want to serve them something they dislike. But really it is no problem at
> all.

well, i would snip this but the entire post needs to remain

i'm not going to ask you to FORGIVE me for TRYING to HELP you

you mention your husband's eating and how much you have to accomodate
that, pardon me for thinking he MIGHT even CONSIDER visiting
you......... but, you have now made that CLEAR that YOU DO NOT LIVE
TOGETHER (i'm still confused about the accommodations you make for him
eating EVERYTHING IN SIGHT)

but, allow me to bow out and NOT EVER TRY to help you again, CLEARLY YOU
DO NOT WANT THAT

why do *I* have to apologise to YOU FOR YOUR DYSFUNCTION????

bye!

(you really don't ;give a **** who is answering)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Stuffed shells.

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 2/8/2012 1:18 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> It's not a problem for me to eat at all.

> what a relief
>
> I hear only that you can't eat
>
> well, anything someone suggests
>
> take care

Well then open your EARS! This thread was about spinach in stuffed shells.
I asked how to cook the spinach. If you are only hearing what I can't eat,
that's not my freaking problem!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 2/8/2012 1:22 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> ty Wendy, very eloquent
>>>
>>> i have enough to manage MY OWN LIFE that i really don't make someone
>>> else's AND their ENTIRE family's allgeries, food intolerance, texture
>>> dislikes, flavour dislikes, and more............... in my mind
>>>
>>> i DO PITY the person who has to track all this, it must be a full time
>>> job
>>> in itself............ and then there is poor hubby who must attempt to
>>> partake in a 'normal meal' that he enjoys....................
>>>
>>> it's all just too sad and more to pity

>> Will you please stop!? I really don't need people making fun of me here.
>> There is nothing sad in my life and nothing to be pitied. Please, please
>> just stop!
>>
>> My husband doesn't even live here so why are you dragging him into it?
>> He
>> has had no complaints about the food I serve him when he is here.
>>
>> I have made meals for my husband's extended family. I remember which
>> person
>> likes what and dislikes what. It really isn't a problem at all.
>> Sometimes
>> I have made say...two forms of potatoes or two side dishes but seriously
>> it
>> is not a problem. I also remember who likes what in my own family.
>> Perhaps
>> because I am so attuned to what people like and dislike because I
>> wouldn't
>> want to serve them something they dislike. But really it is no problem
>> at
>> all.
>>

> well, i would snip this but the entire post needs to remain
>
> i'm not going to ask you to FORGIVE me for TRYING to HELP you
>
> you mention your husband's eating and how much you have to accomodate
> that, pardon me for thinking he MIGHT even CONSIDER visiting you.........
> but, you have now made that CLEAR that YOU DO NOT LIVE TOGETHER (i'm
> still confused about the accommodations you make for him eating EVERYTHING
> IN SIGHT)
>
> but, allow me to bow out and NOT EVER TRY to help you again, CLEARLY YOU
> DO NOT WANT THAT
>
> why do *I* have to apologise to YOU FOR YOUR DYSFUNCTION????
>
> bye!
>
> (you really don't ;give a **** who is answering)

Oh pardon moi! I didn't realize that you now have a pysch degree! And just
what exactly is my dysfuction?

My husband is in the military and is stationed in CA. He has been there for
a couple of years now. I have made that no secret. When he does come back
here I do have to feed him.

I asked in this thread a very specific question. Whether or not to cook the
spinach for the stuff shells prior to stuffing them. That was answered a
while ago. And yet the thread veered. I didn't do it. I didn't make it
veer. And yet you seem to be angry with me for that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Wrong! The use of ALL caps is shouting. Even so... In the case where I
> used it I did get pretty angry. Do you know how many people have suggested
> the use of Egg Beaters for an egg allergy? I just find it super hard to
> believe that so many people don't bother to read ingredients.

Why should I read ingredients on a product I don't buy? I understood
egg beaters to be egg substitute, so it's not a terrible failing on my
part not to realize they contain eggs.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/8/2012 11:26 AM, Susan wrote:
> Kate, I have no intention of scolding you or telling you what you must
> do, but I thought you'd decided to KF Julie so you wouldn't be tempted
> to read and get this upset. After all, what good does it do you or her?
>
> Just sayin'.
>
> Susan

yup

sigh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Wrong! The use of ALL caps is shouting. Even so... In the case where I
>> used it I did get pretty angry. Do you know how many people have
>> suggested
>> the use of Egg Beaters for an egg allergy? I just find it super hard to
>> believe that so many people don't bother to read ingredients.

> Why should I read ingredients on a product I don't buy? I understood
> egg beaters to be egg substitute, so it's not a terrible failing on my
> part not to realize they contain eggs.

They're not an egg substitute and you don't have to read the ingredients to
know that. It says right on the front of the carton that they're made with
real eggs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 21:00:36 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Wrong! The use of ALL caps is shouting. Even so... In the case where I
>> used it I did get pretty angry. Do you know how many people have suggested
>> the use of Egg Beaters for an egg allergy? I just find it super hard to
>> believe that so many people don't bother to read ingredients.

>Why should I read ingredients on a product I don't buy? I understood
>egg beaters to be egg substitute, so it's not a terrible failing on my
>part not to realize they contain eggs.
>
>PP

I also had no idea they contain eggs! I don't buy the product either,
so I also had no reason to read the carton.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >
> >> Wrong! The use of ALL caps is shouting. Even so... In the case where I
> >> used it I did get pretty angry. Do you know how many people have
> >> suggested
> >> the use of Egg Beaters for an egg allergy? I just find it super hard to
> >> believe that so many people don't bother to read ingredients.

> > Why should I read ingredients on a product I don't buy? I understood
> > egg beaters to be egg substitute, so it's not a terrible failing on my
> > part not to realize they contain eggs.

> They're not an egg substitute and you don't have to read the ingredients to
> know that. It says right on the front of the carton that they're made with
> real eggs.

Why should I pick up and read a package when I have no interest in the
product?

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:26:39 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
> > wrote:
>
>>Why should I pick up and read a package when I have no interest in the
>>product?

> Not only that, also never having had any interest in the product, I
> wouldn't be able to even find it in a store. I have no idea where
> they stock that stuff, let alone what's in it.

They're right with the eggs!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:26:39 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
: > > wrote:
: >
: >>Why should I pick up and read a package when I have no interest in the
: >>product?
: >
: > Not only that, also never having had any interest in the product, I
: > wouldn't be able to even find it in a store. I have no idea where
: > they stock that stuff, let alone what's in it.

: They're right with the eggs!

Nope, not everywhere. things are different here in Manhattan.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:26:39 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
> : > > wrote:
> : >
> : >>Why should I pick up and read a package when I have no interest in the
> : >>product?
> : >
> : > Not only that, also never having had any interest in the product, I
> : > wouldn't be able to even find it in a store. I have no idea where
> : > they stock that stuff, let alone what's in it.
>
> : They're right with the eggs!
>
> Nope, not everywhere. things are different here in Manhattan.

They're sold with the eggs on Staten Island, they were in CA, they were on
Cape Cod, they were in PA and they are here. I guess for some reason
Manhattan is different.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: >
: > : "BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
: > : ...
: > : > On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:26:39 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
: > : > > wrote:
: > : >
: > : >>Why should I pick up and read a package when I have no interest in the
: > : >>product?
: > : >
: > : > Not only that, also never having had any interest in the product, I
: > : > wouldn't be able to even find it in a store. I have no idea where
: > : > they stock that stuff, let alone what's in it.
: >
: > : They're right with the eggs!
: >
: > Nope, not everywhere. things are different here in Manhattan.

: They're sold with the eggs on Staten Island, they were in CA, they were on
: Cape Cod, they were in PA and they are here. I guess for some reason
: Manhattan is different.

Even Up State, in rural Margaretville, they are not mixed in with teh
eggs, but are on their own shelves in the refrigerator section, sometimes
right near the refrigerated tortilla section with the eggs rather further
along a few shelves lower. many peole I know also refer to them as "fake
eggs" as they are used in place of whole eggs were whole eggs are called
for in recipes.. They also may be found in the freezer. Peole also
generally refer to them as egg substitutes becasue the substitute for
whole eggs and don't fuss with what they are made of. The plain cartons
of egg whites that are sometmes found are susually cheaper than the
Eggbeaters or theeven the store brand of egg substitues. I know they are
made form eggshites becuause I used to use them, butothers might well not.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >
> : > : "BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
> : > : ...
> : > : > On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:26:39 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
> : > : > > wrote:
> : > : >
> : > : >>Why should I pick up and read a package when I have no interest in
> the
> : > : >>product?
> : > : >
> : > : > Not only that, also never having had any interest in the product,
> : > : > wouldn't be able to even find it in a store. I have no idea where
> : > : > they stock that stuff, let alone what's in it.
> : >
> : > : They're right with the eggs!
> : >
> : > Nope, not everywhere. things are different here in Manhattan.
>
> : They're sold with the eggs on Staten Island, they were in CA, they were
> on
> : Cape Cod, they were in PA and they are here. I guess for some reason
> : Manhattan is different.
>
> Even Up State, in rural Margaretville, they are not mixed in with teh
> eggs, but are on their own shelves in the refrigerator section, sometimes
> right near the refrigerated tortilla section with the eggs rather further
> along a few shelves lower. many peole I know also refer to them as "fake
> eggs" as they are used in place of whole eggs were whole eggs are called
> for in recipes.. They also may be found in the freezer. Peole also
> generally refer to them as egg substitutes becasue the substitute for
> whole eggs and don't fuss with what they are made of. The plain cartons
> of egg whites that are sometmes found are susually cheaper than the
> Eggbeaters or theeven the store brand of egg substitues. I know they are
> made form eggshites becuause I used to use them, butothers might well not.

Refrigerated tortillas? Most tortillas are sold on the shelf here.

As for the many people you know who refer to them as "fake eggs", I can't
address that other than to say they are wrong. It says right on the package
that they are eggs. Right on the front. I have never heard them referred
to as an egg substitute except for people on the Internet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i have made meat and meatless and everything in between, so has the dh, i
don't think we have ever used an egg, and until reading this never knew
anyone who ever did, lol, live and learn, Lees
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > In article >,
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> : >
> : >> Angela wanted me to buy some fresh spinach for green smoothies. And
> : >> want
> : >> to make some stuffed shells. With spinach in them. I don't think I
> have
> : >> ever made the cheese stuffed shells from scratch. Way back before we
> : >> knew
> : >> of the food allergies, I used to buy frozen ones. And I can still do
> : >> that
> : >> for Angela but due to the eggs in them, I can't eat them.
> : >>
> : >> I have run across at least one recipe that doesn't require the egg.
> It's
> : >> just a mix of ricotta and parmesan cheese in it. Ah but the spinach
> : >> part.
> : >> All of the recipes I see call for frozen spinach, thawed and juices
> : >> squeezed
> : >> out.
> : >>
> : >> I have made plenty of lasagna using spinach. I know I have used
> frozen,
> : >> but
> : >> I also think I have used fresh. I remember just chopping it finely
> and
> : >> adding it to the cheese. But perhaps this would work differently in
> : >> lasagna
> : >> because you let it sit after baking and the juices would be absorbed?
> : >> do
> : >> put other veggies in my lasagna and I do saut? them first.
> : >>
> : >> So my question is... Do you think I could just chop the spinach
> finely
> : >> and
> : >> add it to the cheese? Or should I cook it and cool it first?
> : >
> : > Cook the spinach first. Just wash the leaves and steam them until they
> : > wilt down. The volume change is dramatic. Then drain, squeeze the
> water
> : > out, and chop. If you don't do this, all the water the spinach loses
> : > when you cook it will make the stuffed shells soggy.
> : >
> : > On the other hand, I don't think leaving the egg out will make any
> : > difference.
>
> : Okay. Thanks. Leaving the egg out when I made lasagna made a HUGE
> : difference and not in a good way. The end result was a sloppy mess.
>
> I make a vegetarian lasgna and have never used any egg. it is not a
> sloppy mess.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/23/2012 3:27 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> i have made meat and meatless and everything in between, so has the dh, i
> don't think we have ever used an egg, and until reading this never knew
> anyone who ever did, lol, live and learn, Lees

triple.... i've never put an egg in lasagna or any other 'pasta in
sauce' dish

different recipes i guess

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:37:36 -0700, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>On 2/23/2012 3:27 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> i have made meat and meatless and everything in between, so has the dh, i
>> don't think we have ever used an egg, and until reading this never knew
>> anyone who ever did, lol, live and learn, Lees

>triple.... i've never put an egg in lasagna or any other 'pasta in
>sauce' dish
>
>different recipes i guess
>
>kate

You put the egg into the ricotta, which as it bakes, helps to firm it
up. The proportion for the stuffing goes like this. (copied right
from the recipe I use). This was for a big lasagna, you would cut it
down proportionately for your needs.

"4 lbs of Ricotta, 4 eggs, 1- 1/2 cups of grated Romano cheese.
(for spinach lasagna add two packages of frozen chopped spinach,
cooked, then WELL drained, squeeze out excess water)
Mix and blend well with electric mixer before folding in the spinach."

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have used medium shells to make spaghetti.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Colt T" > wrote in message
>I have used medium shells to make spaghetti.

Oh I just can't imagine that! What do you do, cook them and then cut them
in sort of a zig zag fashion and then carefully unfurl them? Even then that
wouldn't exactly be spaghetti.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

interesting but i think i will pass, Lee
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:37:36 -0700, Tiger Lily > wrote:
>
>>On 2/23/2012 3:27 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> i have made meat and meatless and everything in between, so has the dh,
>>> don't think we have ever used an egg, and until reading this never knew
>>> anyone who ever did, lol, live and learn, Lees

>>triple.... i've never put an egg in lasagna or any other 'pasta in
>>sauce' dish
>>
>>different recipes i guess
>>
>>kate

> You put the egg into the ricotta, which as it bakes, helps to firm it
> up. The proportion for the stuffing goes like this. (copied right
> from the recipe I use). This was for a big lasagna, you would cut it
> down proportionately for your needs.
>
> "4 lbs of Ricotta, 4 eggs, 1- 1/2 cups of grated Romano cheese.
> (for spinach lasagna add two packages of frozen chopped spinach,
> cooked, then WELL drained, squeeze out excess water)
> Mix and blend well with electric mixer before folding in the spinach."
>
> Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/23/2012 4:21 PM, Evelyn wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:37:36 -0700, Tiger > wrote:
>
>> On 2/23/2012 3:27 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> i have made meat and meatless and everything in between, so has the dh, i
>>> don't think we have ever used an egg, and until reading this never knew
>>> anyone who ever did, lol, live and learn, Lees

>> triple.... i've never put an egg in lasagna or any other 'pasta in
>> sauce' dish
>>
>> different recipes i guess
>>
>> kate

> You put the egg into the ricotta, which as it bakes, helps to firm it
> up. The proportion for the stuffing goes like this. (copied right
> from the recipe I use). This was for a big lasagna, you would cut it
> down proportionately for your needs.
>
> "4 lbs of Ricotta, 4 eggs, 1- 1/2 cups of grated Romano cheese.
> (for spinach lasagna add two packages of frozen chopped spinach,
> cooked, then WELL drained, squeeze out excess water)
> Mix and blend well with electric mixer before folding in the spinach."
>
> Evelyn

grin, would you kindly post your lasagna recipe

seriously, i have never put eggs into lasagna, but i also use regular
cottage cheese which is much waterier than Ricotta!

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/24/2012 2:28 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> interesting but i think i will pass, Lee
> > wrote in message

>>> triple.... i've never put an egg in lasagna or any other 'pasta in
>>> sauce' dish
>>>
>>> different recipes i guess
>>>
>>> kate

>> You put the egg into the ricotta, which as it bakes, helps to firm it
>> up. The proportion for the stuffing goes like this. (copied right
>> from the recipe I use). This was for a big lasagna, you would cut it
>> down proportionately for your needs.
>>
>> "4 lbs of Ricotta, 4 eggs, 1- 1/2 cups of grated Romano cheese.
>> (for spinach lasagna add two packages of frozen chopped spinach,
>> cooked, then WELL drained, squeeze out excess water)
>> Mix and blend well with electric mixer before folding in the spinach."
>>
>> Evelyn

d'oh

that WAS the recipe!

sorry

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 03:12:28 -0700, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>On 2/23/2012 4:21 PM, Evelyn wrote:

>>> triple.... i've never put an egg in lasagna or any other 'pasta in
>>> sauce' dish
>>>
>>> different recipes i guess
>>>
>>> kate

>> You put the egg into the ricotta, which as it bakes, helps to firm it
>> up. The proportion for the stuffing goes like this. (copied right
>> from the recipe I use). This was for a big lasagna, you would cut it
>> down proportionately for your needs.
>>
>> "4 lbs of Ricotta, 4 eggs, 1- 1/2 cups of grated Romano cheese.
>> (for spinach lasagna add two packages of frozen chopped spinach,
>> cooked, then WELL drained, squeeze out excess water)
>> Mix and blend well with electric mixer before folding in the spinach."
>>
>> Evelyn

>grin, would you kindly post your lasagna recipe
>
>seriously, i have never put eggs into lasagna, but i also use regular
>cottage cheese which is much waterier than Ricotta!
>
>kate

My recipe is right on the Barilla box. Too long for me to re-type
here. I have heard of people using cottage cheese for lasagna, but
it is not smooth enough or sweet enough. If you beat it with a mixer
and then drain it through a cheesecloth or strainer, it might help the
wateriness, but adding the egg also helps. It isn't supposed to be
mush, nor is it supposed to be very firm, and not watery either. It
should be firm enough to cut and nearly hold its shape (after cooling
a bit) but not too firm. Hard to describe. Just get the Barilla no
boil noodles and do what they say. It's right.

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 03:12:28 -0700, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>>> You put the egg into the ricotta, which as it bakes, helps to firm it
>>> up. The proportion for the stuffing goes like this. (copied right
>>> from the recipe I use). This was for a big lasagna, you would cut it
>>> down proportionately for your needs.
>>>
>>> "4 lbs of Ricotta, 4 eggs, 1- 1/2 cups of grated Romano cheese.
>>> (for spinach lasagna add two packages of frozen chopped spinach,
>>> cooked, then WELL drained, squeeze out excess water)
>>> Mix and blend well with electric mixer before folding in the spinach."
>>>
>>> Evelyn

>>grin, would you kindly post your lasagna recipe
>>
>>seriously, i have never put eggs into lasagna, but i also use regular
>>cottage cheese which is much waterier than Ricotta!
>>
>>kate

> My recipe is right on the Barilla box. Too long for me to re-type
> here. I have heard of people using cottage cheese for lasagna, but
> it is not smooth enough or sweet enough. If you beat it with a mixer
> and then drain it through a cheesecloth or strainer, it might help the
> wateriness, but adding the egg also helps. It isn't supposed to be
> mush, nor is it supposed to be very firm, and not watery either. It
> should be firm enough to cut and nearly hold its shape (after cooling
> a bit) but not too firm. Hard to describe. Just get the Barilla no
> boil noodles and do what they say. It's right.

I have used cottage cheese too. I prefer ricotta. I have heard that a mix
of the two is the best.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 08:44:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>grin, would you kindly post your lasagna recipe
>>>
>>>seriously, i have never put eggs into lasagna, but i also use regular
>>>cottage cheese which is much waterier than Ricotta!
>>>
>>>kate

>> My recipe is right on the Barilla box. Too long for me to re-type
>> here. I have heard of people using cottage cheese for lasagna, but
>> it is not smooth enough or sweet enough. If you beat it with a mixer
>> and then drain it through a cheesecloth or strainer, it might help the
>> wateriness, but adding the egg also helps. It isn't supposed to be
>> mush, nor is it supposed to be very firm, and not watery either. It
>> should be firm enough to cut and nearly hold its shape (after cooling
>> a bit) but not too firm. Hard to describe. Just get the Barilla no
>> boil noodles and do what they say. It's right.

>I have used cottage cheese too. I prefer ricotta. I have heard that a mix
>of the two is the best.

I don't think so. Ricotta has a sweeter, milder flavor and a nicer
texture. When you add the Romano cheese and egg to it, it is just
perfect and bakes up just right.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/10/2012 4:12 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Julie > wrote:
>
> : > wrote in message
> : ...
> :> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:26:39 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
> :> > wrote:
> :>
> :>>Why should I pick up and read a package when I have no interest in the
> :>>product?
> :>
> :> Not only that, also never having had any interest in the product, I
> :> wouldn't be able to even find it in a store. I have no idea where
> :> they stock that stuff, let alone what's in it.
>
> : They're right with the eggs!
>
> Nope, not everywhere. things are different here in Manhattan.
>
> Wendy

In the stores where I've seen them, they were with the frozen
foods. That was sometimes close to the eggs if that store
had a freezer close to the refrigerator where they kept the
eggs. None of those stores froze the whole eggs, but the
Egg Beaters needed to be kept frozen.

I used them for a few years when I was avoiding salt and
cholesterol.

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> On 2/10/2012 4:12 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>> Julie > wrote:
>>
>> : > wrote in message
>> : ...
>> :> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:26:39 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
>> :> > wrote:
>> :>
>> :>>Why should I pick up and read a package when I have no interest in the
>> :>>product?
>> :>
>> :> Not only that, also never having had any interest in the product, I
>> :> wouldn't be able to even find it in a store. I have no idea where
>> :> they stock that stuff, let alone what's in it.
>>
>> : They're right with the eggs!
>>
>> Nope, not everywhere. things are different here in Manhattan.
>>
>> Wendy

> In the stores where I've seen them, they were with the frozen
> foods. That was sometimes close to the eggs if that store
> had a freezer close to the refrigerator where they kept the
> eggs. None of those stores froze the whole eggs, but the
> Egg Beaters needed to be kept frozen.
>
> I used them for a few years when I was avoiding salt and
> cholesterol.

The only place I've ever seen them frozen was at the military commissary in
Brooklyn.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On 2/10/2012 4:12 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: >> Julie > wrote:
: >>
: >> : > wrote in message
: >> : ...
: >> :> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:26:39 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
: >> :> > wrote:
: >> :>
[...]

When they were first introduced they were all sold frozen. Later they
introduced the non-frozen ones that have mostly taken over the market. I
still occasionally(I guess when I actually look) see some in a frozen food
case.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/24/2012 8:00 AM, Evelyn wrote:
> My recipe is right on the Barilla box. Too long for me to re-type
> here. I have heard of people using cottage cheese for lasagna, but
> it is not smooth enough or sweet enough. If you beat it with a mixer
> and then drain it through a cheesecloth or strainer, it might help the
> wateriness, but adding the egg also helps. It isn't supposed to be
> mush, nor is it supposed to be very firm, and not watery either. It
> should be firm enough to cut and nearly hold its shape (after cooling
> a bit) but not too firm. Hard to describe. Just get the Barilla no
> boil noodles and do what they say. It's right.
>
> Evelyn

ta

kate
Member

These sort of great and really too awesome sharing i ever found
i enjoy this too great and massive working

____________________________
sleep number m7 bed l sleep number m7 bed l sleep number i10 bed
Member

Location: USA

I also think I have used fresh. I remember just chopping it finely and
adding it to the cheese. But perhaps this would work differently in
lasagna

Personal Trainer San Diego

Last edited by Elroy : 10-03-2012 at 01:46 PM

Stuffed shells with meat? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 38 04-05-2014 12:28 PM
Stuffed Shells, a success! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 7 16-02-2012 05:52 AM
stuffed shells? [email protected] General Cooking 157 10-04-2011 05:18 PM
stuffed shells sf General Cooking 9 14-05-2006 02:35 PM
Stuffed shells? sarah bennett General Cooking 16 15-10-2005 07:01 PM