Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Are there foods you've never eaten?

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 2/24/2012 3:37 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> she offerred to give me some in a container, i don't think they serve it
>> inside, i think it was in the "tank o mustard in the kitchen, i passed,
>> Lee

> lol
>
> who was it? 60 minutes? that did the program on the green condiments in
> the pump containers that are refilled with NO cleaning!
>
> oh my!
> kate

When I worked at K Mart, our iced tea dispenser was like that. Never got
cleaned until someone complained that there was mold in their cup. I never
drink the stuff in restaurants any more.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 23:14:43 -0700, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>On 2/24/2012 3:38 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> i understand that, i love hot food dh does not but when we are out i get my
>> hot fix, Lee

>sounds like the only times i'm allowed liver n onions for dinner! LOL
>
>kate

When my husband is out, is when I get to enjoy lamb. He doesn't eat
it, but I love it.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 23:14:43 -0700, Tiger Lily > wrote:
>
>>On 2/24/2012 3:38 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> i understand that, i love hot food dh does not but when we are out i
>>> get my
>>> hot fix, Lee

>>sounds like the only times i'm allowed liver n onions for dinner! LOL
>>
>>kate

> When my husband is out, is when I get to enjoy lamb. He doesn't eat
> it, but I love it.
>
> Evelyn

I love lamb but it does have a "taste". One of my boys prefers to have
steak or chicken breast at just about every evening meal. One prefers
pork but will eat chicken (but on bones), eats some lamb (usually chops)
but prefers anything crumbed. One likes something different every night

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:40:15 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>sounds like the only times i'm allowed liver n onions for dinner! LOL
>>>
>>>kate

>> When my husband is out, is when I get to enjoy lamb. He doesn't eat
>> it, but I love it.
>>
>> Evelyn

>I love lamb but it does have a "taste". One of my boys prefers to have
>steak or chicken breast at just about every evening meal. One prefers
>pork but will eat chicken (but on bones), eats some lamb (usually chops)
>but prefers anything crumbed. One likes something different every night

We all like to eat something different every night, but in our case
since there are only two of us, I often have leftovers which I am
loath to toss out, so we sometimes do eat a second meal of whatever it
is.

I made chicken milanese one day, the next day the leftover cutlets
were topped with sauce and mozzarella cheese, and become chicken
parmesan.

In some cases I will take the leftover meat, slice it and put it into
the leftover gravy, and freeze it for a quickie meat and gravy entree
at a later date when I don't have the time to make something new. By
that time it is "new" again to us.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 13:36:35 -0500, Susan > wrote:

>I don't like intense lambiness/gaminess (I should switch to U.S. lamb,
>maybe?) hence my pref for the citrus:
>
>I cheat for the browning: I spread EVOO on them, s and p and roast at
>500 in the oven for 15 minutes or so.
>

>> Citrus-Braised Lamb Shanks
>> Adapted from ''The River Cottage Meat Book,'' by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.
>> INGREDIENTS
>> • 3 tablespoons olive oil
>> • 1 carrot, finely diced
>> • 1 onion, finely diced
>> • 2 celery ribs, finely diced
>> • 3 sprigs thyme
>> • 2 bay leaves
>> • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
>> • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
>> • 1 1/2 cups white wine
>> • 1 cup chicken broth
>> • Juice and finely grated zest of 1 lemon
>> • Juice and finely grated zest of 1 orange
>> • 4 12-ounce New Zealand lamb shanks
>> • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
>> • Chopped parsley, for garnishing
>> PREPARATION
>> 1.
>> Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a large casserole. Add the carrot, onion and celery,

>and sweat over low heat, until tender. Add the thyme, bay leaves,
>garlic, tomato paste, wine, and broth, along with
>
>all but a few pinches of the zests and a tablespoon of each juice. Bring
>to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer.
>> 2.
>> Meanwhile, season the lamb with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining olive oil in a separate large sauté pan and brown

>the shanks on all sides. Add the shanks to the casserole and cover.
>Transfer to the oven and cook until the meat is completely tender, about
>2 1/2 hours.
>> 3.
>> Remove the shanks from the pan and keep warm. Skim the fat from the surface of the sauce.

>Reduce the sauce to the desired consistency. Stir in the reserved citrus
>juices and season to taste with salt and pepper.
>
>Serve the lamb shanks and sauce on warmed plates (with Israeli couscous
>or some good bread).
>
>Sprinkle with a little parsley and the remaining citrus zest.

Sounds delicious. I saved that recipe and will try it next time.
Thanks!

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:40:15 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> When my husband is out, is when I get to enjoy lamb. He doesn't eat
>>> it, but I love it.
>>>
>>> Evelyn

>>I love lamb but it does have a "taste". One of my boys prefers to have
>>steak or chicken breast at just about every evening meal. One prefers
>>pork but will eat chicken (but on bones), eats some lamb (usually
>>chops)
>>but prefers anything crumbed. One likes something different every
>>night
>>

> We all like to eat something different every night, but in our case
> since there are only two of us, I often have leftovers which I am
> loath to toss out, so we sometimes do eat a second meal of whatever it
> is.
>
> I made chicken milanese one day, the next day the leftover cutlets
> were topped with sauce and mozzarella cheese, and become chicken
> parmesan.
>
> In some cases I will take the leftover meat, slice it and put it into
> the leftover gravy, and freeze it for a quickie meat and gravy entree
> at a later date when I don't have the time to make something new. By
> that time it is "new" again to us.

Sometimes I am tired when I come home from shopping and instead of
separating bulk meat/poultry, I toss it in the freezer as is. When I
defrost I tend to use it all up over the next 2-3 days. The kids just
have to suck it up I am not a superwoman and as I say, anyone who
wants to take over the job is more than welcome

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> Sometimes I am tired when I come home from shopping and instead of
> separating bulk meat/poultry, I toss it in the freezer as is. When I
> defrost I tend to use it all up over the next 2-3 days. The kids just have
> to suck it up I am not a superwoman and as I say, anyone who wants to
> take over the job is more than welcome

I'm trying to teach dh to separate and package, but so far...not so good. I
like my chickens cleaned up and packaged...ready to go, and I like ground
meat, chops, steaks etc., separated into portions that will be eaten, but if
not, oh well. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>
>> Sometimes I am tired when I come home from shopping and instead of
>> separating bulk meat/poultry, I toss it in the freezer as is. When I
>> defrost I tend to use it all up over the next 2-3 days. The kids just
>> have to suck it up I am not a superwoman and as I say, anyone who
>> wants to take over the job is more than welcome

> I'm trying to teach dh to separate and package, but so far...not so
> good. I like my chickens cleaned up and packaged...ready to go, and I
> like ground meat, chops, steaks etc., separated into portions that
> will be eaten, but if not, oh well. :-)
>
> Cheri

I like it that way too and I always have thoughts that I am going to do
that but then reality steps in....

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:21:39 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:40:15 +1000, "Ozgirl"
>> > wrote:

>>>I love lamb but it does have a "taste". One of my boys prefers to have
>>>steak or chicken breast at just about every evening meal. One prefers
>>>pork but will eat chicken (but on bones), eats some lamb (usually
>>>chops)
>>>but prefers anything crumbed. One likes something different every
>>>night
>>>

>> We all like to eat something different every night, but in our case
>> since there are only two of us, I often have leftovers which I am
>> loath to toss out, so we sometimes do eat a second meal of whatever it
>> is.
>>
>> I made chicken milanese one day, the next day the leftover cutlets
>> were topped with sauce and mozzarella cheese, and become chicken
>> parmesan.
>>
>> In some cases I will take the leftover meat, slice it and put it into
>> the leftover gravy, and freeze it for a quickie meat and gravy entree
>> at a later date when I don't have the time to make something new. By
>> that time it is "new" again to us.

>Sometimes I am tired when I come home from shopping and instead of
>separating bulk meat/poultry, I toss it in the freezer as is. When I
>defrost I tend to use it all up over the next 2-3 days. The kids just
>have to suck it up I am not a superwoman and as I say, anyone who
>wants to take over the job is more than welcome

I always end up regretting it when I do that. I try to separate and
bag meat up by smaller portions too, but occasionally I get lazy about
it. The reason I had so very many chicken cutlets is because I did
that..... put the whole package in the freezer without separating
them.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "Cheri" > wrote in message
: ...
: > "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >
: >> Sometimes I am tired when I come home from shopping and instead of
: >> separating bulk meat/poultry, I toss it in the freezer as is. When I
: >> defrost I tend to use it all up over the next 2-3 days. The kids just
: >> have to suck it up I am not a superwoman and as I say, anyone who
: >> wants to take over the job is more than welcome
: >
: > I'm trying to teach dh to separate and package, but so far...not so
: > good. I like my chickens cleaned up and packaged...ready to go, and I
: > like ground meat, chops, steaks etc., separated into portions that
: > will be eaten, but if not, oh well. :-)
: >
: > Cheri

: I like it that way too and I always have thoughts that I am going to do
: that but then reality steps in....

I like it that way too and usually do it by not rushing. I will put all
the meat into the fridge and separate it into portions or clean the
chickens or parts slowly over a day or so. Freezing each in individual
servings as I complete each package.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

mine will eaat it, but often i have lamb and he has beef, his logic is that
at what it costs, you should enjoy it more than he does, Lee
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 23:14:43 -0700, Tiger Lily > wrote:
>
>>On 2/24/2012 3:38 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> i understand that, i love hot food dh does not but when we are out i get
>>> my
>>> hot fix, Lee

>>sounds like the only times i'm allowed liver n onions for dinner! LOL
>>
>>kate

> When my husband is out, is when I get to enjoy lamb. He doesn't eat
> it, but I love it.
>
> Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

we do this
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:40:15 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> When my husband is out, is when I get to enjoy lamb. He doesn't eat
>>> it, but I love it.
>>>
>>> Evelyn

>>I love lamb but it does have a "taste". One of my boys prefers to have
>>steak or chicken breast at just about every evening meal. One prefers
>>pork but will eat chicken (but on bones), eats some lamb (usually chops)
>>but prefers anything crumbed. One likes something different every night
>>

> We all like to eat something different every night, but in our case
> since there are only two of us, I often have leftovers which I am
> loath to toss out, so we sometimes do eat a second meal of whatever it
> is.
>
> I made chicken milanese one day, the next day the leftover cutlets
> were topped with sauce and mozzarella cheese, and become chicken
> parmesan.
>
> In some cases I will take the leftover meat, slice it and put it into
> the leftover gravy, and freeze it for a quickie meat and gravy entree
> at a later date when I don't have the time to make something new. By
> that time it is "new" again to us.
>
> Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

mine has gotten much better over the years, i think when he realized that
the cooked bulk food was a good thing, he also realised that on the things
we do not bulk cook its even better, Lee
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>
>> Sometimes I am tired when I come home from shopping and instead of
>> separating bulk meat/poultry, I toss it in the freezer as is. When I
>> defrost I tend to use it all up over the next 2-3 days. The kids just
>> have to suck it up I am not a superwoman and as I say, anyone who
>> wants to take over the job is more than welcome

> I'm trying to teach dh to separate and package, but so far...not so good.
> I like my chickens cleaned up and packaged...ready to go, and I like
> ground meat, chops, steaks etc., separated into portions that will be
> eaten, but if not, oh well. :-)
>
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Evelyn > wrote:

> When my husband is out, is when I get to enjoy lamb. He doesn't eat
> it, but I love it.

When I was growing up, my father would go to professional conventions a
couple of times a year. While he was away we had veal, fish, anything
that was subtly flavored, since he didn't care for those.

PP