Old 15-02-2012, 04:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Are there foods you've never eaten?

On 2/14/2012 3:05 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: Kate, I know, and I also love Dijon mustard. Just not on kosher type
: deli meats. Gotta have the spicy deli style.

: Susan

Not necessarily hot, but spicy.

Wendy

grin, yes!

but it is interesting to see folks who are used to the yellow stuff
using mustard that isn't 'just the yellow stuff'

slather it on the hamburger or sandwich, take a bite, and hope they have
a newspaper between you and them! LOL

kate

Old 15-02-2012, 08:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 15/02/2012 2:33 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
On 2/14/2012 3:05 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: Kate, I know, and I also love Dijon mustard. Just not on kosher type
: deli meats. Gotta have the spicy deli style.

: Susan

Not necessarily hot, but spicy.

Wendy

grin, yes!

but it is interesting to see folks who are used to the yellow stuff
using mustard that isn't 'just the yellow stuff'

slather it on the hamburger or sandwich, take a bite, and hope they have
a newspaper between you and them! LOL

kate

I only use "English Mustard" tastes great has bite and clears your sinus
at the same time :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Old 15-02-2012, 08:16 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily wrote:
: On 2/14/2012 3:05 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: : Kate, I know, and I also love Dijon mustard. Just not on kosher type
: : deli meats. Gotta have the spicy deli style.
:
: : Susan
:
: Not necessarily hot, but spicy.
:
: Wendy

: grin, yes!

: but it is interesting to see folks who are used to the yellow stuff
: using mustard that isn't 'just the yellow stuff'

: slather it on the hamburger or sandwich, take a bite, and hope they have
: a newspaper between you and them! LOL

: kate

You should have tasted my Mother's home made mustard. Take Coleman's
Mustard Powder, mix with hot water to consistancy desired. Let sit for 10
minutes adn serve. Now that is way hot, lke the mustard in Chinese
restaurnts, which I beliee in made by a similar method.

Wendy
Old 16-02-2012, 07:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/15/2012 1:32 AM, RodS wrote:
but it is interesting to see folks who are used to the yellow stuff
using mustard that isn't 'just the yellow stuff'

slather it on the hamburger or sandwich, take a bite, and hope they have
a newspaper between you and them! LOL

kate

I only use "English Mustard" tastes great has bite and clears your sinus
at the same time :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

LOL

you 'got' what i was saying, ty!

still giggling

kate
Old 16-02-2012, 07:51 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/15/2012 1:16 PM, W. Baker wrote:
You should have tasted my Mother's home made mustard. Take Coleman's
Mustard Powder, mix with hot water to consistancy desired. Let sit for 10
minutes adn serve. Now that is way hot, lke the mustard in Chinese
restaurnts, which I beliee in made by a similar method.

Wendy

you've got it Wendy

grin

and i have yet to taste horseradish that hot! LOL

kate

Old 20-02-2012, 02:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:16:24 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
wrote:

Tiger Lily wrote:
[...]

I have a friend who makes her own mustard. This was absolutely
delicious, but it uses real sugar. I wonder if it could be adapted
with Splenda? Probably..... This is the recipe she sent me along
with her notes just as I got it. I have never made it, but I kept
the recipe.

*************

Rita Mae's Hot and Sweet Mustard Recipe

Ingredients
1 cup Coleman's Dry Mustard (1 1/2 small cans)
1 cup sugar
1 cup white vinegar
2 egg yolks
1 cups yellow prepared mustard (least expensive brand)

Mix dry mustard and vinegar, allow to sit for 8 hours OR strain (make
it like you would gravy)

Add sugar and egg yolks to the dry mustard and vinegar, slowly heat
until boiling.
Boil at least 10 minutes (because of the eggs) until it starts to
thicken.
Add the prepared mustard.
Put into any glass jar, no seal needed.

Keep refrigerated, will keep 9 months or longer.

Makes about a quart.
You can double or triple the recipe.

I've found with that recipe, instead of soaking the powder for so
long, you can mix the powder and vinegar just the same way you'd mix
flour and water for gravy, saves time and works the same.

Old 23-02-2012, 09:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am dying to read this thread and see how the lesson went, Lee
"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 2/2/2012 11:54 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
i bet you adjusted well and still can find great items whilst staying on
your eating plan... i just love new tstes and i love deconstructing
recipes
we eat out, Lee

oh, you have it Lee!!

fortunately, i LOVE spices and......... 'cultural foods'?? for lack of a
better word (versus over cooked roast and veggies cooked to mush with the
standard 1/2 plate of potatoes, some days even with gravy!) LOL

i don't eat as MUCH as i used to, but i eat BETTER every day in every way

now, time to check the N Indian food cooking lessons followed by BUFFET
for $39/head......... 3 hours of lessons, all you can eat and your choice
of wine or beer

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm yup, that's double what i'd spend on a meal, but think
that's going to be a GREAT lesson! ((we've had samosa's and such from that
restaurant via friends before))

kate

Old 23-02-2012, 09:49 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol, Lee
"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 2/2/2012 11:56 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
they were like pretezels covered in cholate, not worth the screwing up
the
courage for, an anticlimax really, grubs are too close to worms for me so
even garlic and cheese wouldn't get me there atm, but put in the
situation i
might try... aligator after all wasn't bad and neither is rattlesnake,
Lee
"Tiger wrote in message
i don't think i could manage grasshoppers and i won't even go
further......
LOL

ohhhkay, i'll take your word for it (i don't think i could eat them)

escargot is........ slugs in a shell............. i sorta watch the folk
at my table eating them, thinking "Well, That's Fantastic!"

kate

Old 23-02-2012, 09:51 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

that sucks, Lee
"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
Well, there were no details as to when the lesson would be....... no date,
no time........ by time i found someone who could answer the question, i
was told the offer had expired

sigh

next time!

kate

On 2/3/2012 10:31 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
please report back on the food and the lessons, Lee

Old 23-02-2012, 08:46 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger wrote in message
[...]

By time they were able to tell me when the lessons would be held, the
'deal' had expired.

enter friends........ Asmina has invited me over and she is going to
teach me how to mix the various spices and make my own curry (she was
most sympathetic when i told her that the 'curry' in the grocery store
was NOT curry in my books LOL

kate

Old 24-02-2012, 09:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

it always smelld good to me but the texture gagged me, Lee
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
Tiger Lily wrote:
On 2/11/2012 6:46 AM, W. Baker wrote:
Tiger wrote:
: On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
: beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any kind
: of bugs

: aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful

How about just sliced tongue on good rye bread with mustard! Now there
is a treat.

when i cook the beef tongue, it usually ends up gelled or is that
jellied?

and yes, cook the tongue well and what a very very flavourful meat (just
don't let teenlet SEE what it is) LOL

My eight year old granddaughter loves beef tongue! She's only had it in
soup, but now wants to try a sandwich.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Old 24-02-2012, 10:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/24/2012 2:32 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
here's a lol for you, we went to jack in the box tonight, and i asked for
mustard and they don't have it in packettes, Lee

oh oh oh oh......... please tell me it wasn't in those 'bottomless
mustard/ketchup/condiment" jars......... you know.... the ones that turn
GREEN ON TOP before the kids figure it out???

kate
Old 24-02-2012, 10:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/24/2012 2:38 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
good friend, bummer about the class, Lee

i'm sure they will have another class

meanwhile Asmina is THRILLED because we are the only 'white people that
like her cooking'

she's a love........ i've told her we need a WIFE! and anytime she's
interested to call us

we all giggle

kate