Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Are there foods you've never eaten?

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : A Moose in Love wrote:
> : > On Jan 31, 9:58 am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> : >> hadn't heard of those... i have eaten chocolate covered grasshppers,
> : >> but thats as far as bugdom/food goes for me, another thing i am not
> : >> interested in are those foods that include eyeballs of goats/camels,
> : >> Lee
> : >>
> : > May I interest you in pig ear in aspic? My Grandfather(RIP) liked
> : > eating that stuff. I don't know how to make it, but you can bet your
> : > sweet bippies I won't be eating it any time soon.
> : > If I was a starving man, mad with hunger, lost for weeks in the bush
> : > and I was offered pig ear in aspic, I'd turn it down.
> : > I do like my pig tails though.
>
> : One of my past hobbies was collecting old cookbooks. As in really old.
> : saw more things put in aspic in those things than I cared to. I've
> never
> : eaten aspic and don't care to.
> Think clear , unsweetened jello with something in it which could well be
> something you like. In wel made, homemade gefilte fish, the gelled broth
> surrounding the refrigerated fish is quite delicious and, i suppose, is
> technically an aspic. No need for pigs ears of calves feet etc surrounded
> by aspic, but often quite nice things too.

I don't like Jell-O.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Think clear , unsweetened jello with something in it which could well be
> something you like. In wel made, homemade gefilte fish, the gelled broth
> surrounding the refrigerated fish is quite delicious and, i suppose, is
> technically an aspic. No need for pigs ears of calves feet etc surrounded
> by aspic, but often quite nice things too.

I like aspic very much. When I was young my mother made several guest
dishes which were things in aspic.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/6/2012 3:37 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Jan 31, 9:58 am, > wrote:
>> hadn't heard of those... i have eaten chocolate covered grasshppers, but
>> thats as far as bugdom/food goes for me, another thing i am not interested
>> in are those foods that include eyeballs of goats/camels, Lee
>>

> May I interest you in pig ear in aspic? My Grandfather(RIP) liked
> eating that stuff. I don't know how to make it, but you can bet your
> sweet bippies I won't be eating it any time soon.
> If I was a starving man, mad with hunger, lost for weeks in the bush
> and I was offered pig ear in aspic, I'd turn it down.
> I do like my pig tails though.

Beef Tongue Aspic

hey, it's good!

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/7/2012 7:42 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Julie > wrote:
> : A Moose in Love wrote:
> :> On Jan 31, 9:58 am, > wrote:
> :>> hadn't heard of those... i have eaten chocolate covered grasshppers,
> :>> but thats as far as bugdom/food goes for me, another thing i am not
> :>> interested in are those foods that include eyeballs of goats/camels,
> :>> Lee
> :>>
> :> May I interest you in pig ear in aspic? My Grandfather(RIP) liked
> :> eating that stuff. I don't know how to make it, but you can bet your
> :> sweet bippies I won't be eating it any time soon.
> :> If I was a starving man, mad with hunger, lost for weeks in the bush
> :> and I was offered pig ear in aspic, I'd turn it down.
> :> I do like my pig tails though.
>
> : One of my past hobbies was collecting old cookbooks. As in really old. I
> : saw more things put in aspic in those things than I cared to. I've never
> : eaten aspic and don't care to.
> Think clear , unsweetened jello with something in it which could well be
> something you like. In wel made, homemade gefilte fish, the gelled broth
> surrounding the refrigerated fish is quite delicious and, i suppose, is
> technically an aspic. No need for pigs ears of calves feet etc surrounded
> by aspic, but often quite nice things too.
>
> Wendy

i am shaking my head

gelatin is so good for us

hint: look up what aspic is (not you Wendy, you have it already)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
> beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any kind of
> bugs

aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful

dog/kangaroo/lizard/horse/rabbit aren't locally available, but i don't
always ask what IS this that i'm eating

snake can be rubbery if overcooked........ and ya, it tastes like
chicken, kinda

ling cod eel taste very much like snake

then there is moose/elk/deer/antelope/buffalo/pheasant/duck/grouse/more
birds that are also very nice

i'm not sure i would like to try the meat that isn't locally available
on............ basic principles, you forgot cat in there too and guinea
pig and parrot and............. you know

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily > wrote:
: On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
: > beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any kind of
: > bugs
: >
: >
: >
: >
: aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful

How about just sliced tongue on good rye bread with mustard! Now there is
a treat.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/02/2012 7:38 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
> On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
>> beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any kind of
>> bugs
>>

> aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful
>
> dog/kangaroo/lizard/horse/rabbit aren't locally available, but i don't
> always ask what IS this that i'm eating
>
> snake can be rubbery if overcooked........ and ya, it tastes like
> chicken, kinda
>
> ling cod eel taste very much like snake
>
> then there is moose/elk/deer/antelope/buffalo/pheasant/duck/grouse/more
> birds that are also very nice
>
> i'm not sure i would like to try the meat that isn't locally available
> on............ basic principles, you forgot cat in there too and guinea
> pig and parrot and............. you know
>
> kate

I have a never fail recipe (bushmans) for cooking parrots, to a briskly
boiling pot add 2 parrots and a good pinch of salt and 1 axe head, boil
for at least 8 hours and when the axe head is soft throw the parrots
away and eat the axe head.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Tiger Lily > wrote:
> : On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
> : > beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any kind of
> : > bugs

> : aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful
>
> How about just sliced tongue on good rye bread with mustard! Now there
> is a treat.

With some thin-sliced red onion! Dill pickle on the side. ;-P

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: "W. Baker" > wrote:
: > Tiger Lily > wrote:
: > : On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
: > : > beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any kind of
: > : > bugs

: > : aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful
: >
: > How about just sliced tongue on good rye bread with mustard! Now there
: > is a treat.

: With some thin-sliced red onion! Dill pickle on the side. ;-P

: --
: Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
: families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
: http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
: http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

You've got it in one! Kosher, of course from an old fashioned Kosher, NY
deli, of which there are only a few left.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
> : > Tiger Lily > wrote:
> : > : On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
> : > : > beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any
> : > : > kind of bugs
>
> : > : aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful
> : >
> : > How about just sliced tongue on good rye bread with mustard! Now
> : > there is a treat.
>
> : With some thin-sliced red onion! Dill pickle on the side. ;-P

> You've got it in one! Kosher, of course from an old fashioned Kosher, NY
> deli, of which there are only a few left.

And I didn't even mention chrain (we grow our own)!

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

RodS wrote:

> On 11/02/2012 7:38 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
>> On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
>>> beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any kind of
>>> bugs
>>>

>> aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful
>>
>> dog/kangaroo/lizard/horse/rabbit aren't locally available, but i don't
>> always ask what IS this that i'm eating
>>
>> snake can be rubbery if overcooked........ and ya, it tastes like
>> chicken, kinda
>>
>> ling cod eel taste very much like snake
>>
>> then there is moose/elk/deer/antelope/buffalo/pheasant/duck/grouse/more
>> birds that are also very nice
>>
>> i'm not sure i would like to try the meat that isn't locally available
>> on............ basic principles, you forgot cat in there too and guinea
>> pig and parrot and............. you know
>>
>> kate

> I have a never fail recipe (bushmans) for cooking parrots, to a briskly
> boiling pot add 2 parrots and a good pinch of salt and 1 axe head, boil
> for at least 8 hours and when the axe head is soft throw the parrots
> away and eat the axe head.

"There is no such thing as a tough child, Madam. If you boil them long
enough they always come out tender."

(W.C.Fields, I believe.)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: "W. Baker" > wrote:
: > Nick Cramer > wrote:
: > : "W. Baker" > wrote:
: > : > Tiger Lily > wrote:
: > : > : On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
: > : > : > beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any
: > : > : > kind of bugs
: >
: > : > : aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful
: > : >
: > : > How about just sliced tongue on good rye bread with mustard! Now
: > : > there is a treat.
: >
: > : With some thin-sliced red onion! Dill pickle on the side. ;-P

: > You've got it in one! Kosher, of course from an old fashioned Kosher, NY
: > deli, of which there are only a few left.

: And I didn't even mention chrain (we grow our own)!

: --
: Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their

So do I, actually in a barrel to keep it rfrom overrunning the garden, but
not with tongue or turkey:-) Yes with gefilte fish and boiled beef etc.
Never the red kind with beets-too many carbs, bt a good strog white is
positively sinus clearing!!!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/11/2012 6:46 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Tiger > wrote:
> : On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
> :> beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any kind of
> :> bugs
> :>
> :>
> :>
> :>
> : aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful
>
> How about just sliced tongue on good rye bread with mustard! Now there is
> a treat.
>
> Wendy

when i cook the beef tongue, it usually ends up gelled or is that jellied?

and yes, cook the tongue well and what a very very flavourful meat (just
don't let teenlet SEE what it is) LOL

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/11/2012 4:18 PM, RodS wrote:
> On 11/02/2012 7:38 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
>> On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
>>> beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any kind of
>>> bugs
>>>

>> aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful
>>
>> dog/kangaroo/lizard/horse/rabbit aren't locally available, but i don't
>> always ask what IS this that i'm eating
>>
>> snake can be rubbery if overcooked........ and ya, it tastes like
>> chicken, kinda
>>
>> ling cod eel taste very much like snake
>>
>> then there is moose/elk/deer/antelope/buffalo/pheasant/duck/grouse/more
>> birds that are also very nice
>>
>> i'm not sure i would like to try the meat that isn't locally available
>> on............ basic principles, you forgot cat in there too and guinea
>> pig and parrot and............. you know
>>
>> kate

> I have a never fail recipe (bushmans) for cooking parrots, to a briskly
> boiling pot add 2 parrots and a good pinch of salt and 1 axe head, boil
> for at least 8 hours and when the axe head is soft throw the parrots
> away and eat the axe head.
>

> (- -)
> =m=(_)=m=
> RodS T2
> Australia

OMG Rod

beverage alert!

lol

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/11/2012 5:14 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> "W. > wrote:
>> Tiger > wrote:
>> : On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
>> :> beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any kind of
>> :> bugs

>> : aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful
>>
>> How about just sliced tongue on good rye bread with mustard! Now there
>> is a treat.

> With some thin-sliced red onion! Dill pickle on the side. ;-P

forgot........ it HAS to be Dijon mustard!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily > wrote:
> On 2/11/2012 6:46 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> > Tiger > wrote:
> > : On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
> > :> beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any kind
> > :> of bugs

> > : aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful
> >
> > How about just sliced tongue on good rye bread with mustard! Now there
> > is a treat.

> when i cook the beef tongue, it usually ends up gelled or is that
> jellied?
>
> and yes, cook the tongue well and what a very very flavourful meat (just
> don't let teenlet SEE what it is) LOL

My eight year old granddaughter loves beef tongue! She's only had it in
soup, but now wants to try a sandwich.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > "W. > wrote:
: >> Tiger > wrote:
: >> : On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
: >> :> beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any kind of
: >> :> bugs
: >
: >> : aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful
: >>
: >> How about just sliced tongue on good rye bread with mustard! Now there
: >> is a treat.
: >
: > With some thin-sliced red onion! Dill pickle on the side. ;-P
: >

: forgot........ it HAS to be Dijon mustard!

Nope, not here. You want a good strong brown deli mustard with this
combo. I could skip the onions on a tongue sandwich and no lettuce! I
like the lettuce on the sice for these kinds of mefty meat sandwiches.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/14/2012 7:04 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Tiger > wrote:
> : On 2/11/2012 5:14 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> :> "W. > wrote:
> :>> Tiger > wrote:
> :>> : On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
> :>> :> beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any kind of
> :>> :> bugs
> :>
> :>> : aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful
> :>>
> :>> How about just sliced tongue on good rye bread with mustard! Now there
> :>> is a treat.
> :>
> :> With some thin-sliced red onion! Dill pickle on the side. ;-P
> :>
>
> : forgot........ it HAS to be Dijon mustard!
>
> Nope, not here. You want a good strong brown deli mustard with this
> combo. I could skip the onions on a tongue sandwich and no lettuce! I
> like the lettuce on the sice for these kinds of mefty meat sandwiches.
>
> Wendy

hmm, the Dijon i buy is a dark yellow with lots of dark brown spots in
it from the seeds

now i have to find deli mustard! never seen it before (that i'm aware of)

is this a Kosher specialty? or is it available in a generic grocery
store (locally, Safeway or whatever grocery store will cater to the
local population's tastes, so i just drive to a different store when
looking for xxx type of food)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > :> "W. > wrote:
: > :>> Tiger > wrote:
: > :>> : On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
: > :>> :> beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any kind of
: > :>> :> bugs
: > :>
: > :>> : aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful
: > :>>
[...]

I have no idea if it is available in your neck of the woods. Itis all
over my area in many brrands, some kosher and dome not, but it is the
mustard of the old kosher delis and it the desired one for all those gret
dJewish deli meats like corned bef, pastrami, tongue and even kosher nice
a garlicky slalami and, of course, frankfurters(with or without buns)
My favorite brands are Batampte and Hebre Nationsl(both kosher), but i
have seen deli musard in A&P in their America's Choice brand. sometime
they add horseradish to the mustard, but the ones I ike are ust pure
mustard!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Tiger Lily > wrote:
> : On 2/14/2012 7:04 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> : > Tiger > wrote:
> : > : On 2/11/2012 5:14 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> : > :> "W. > wrote:
> : > :>> Tiger > wrote:
> : > :>> : On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
> : > :>> :> beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any
> : > :>> :> kind of
> : > :>> :> bugs
> : > :>
> : > :>> : aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful
> : > :>>
> : > :>> How about just sliced tongue on good rye bread with mustard! Now
> : > :>> there
> : > :>> is a treat.
> : > :>
> : > :> With some thin-sliced red onion! Dill pickle on the side. ;-P
> : > :>
> : >
> : > : forgot........ it HAS to be Dijon mustard!
> : >
> : > Nope, not here. You want a good strong brown deli mustard with this
> : > combo. I could skip the onions on a tongue sandwich and no lettuce! I
> : > like the lettuce on the sice for these kinds of mefty meat sandwiches.
> : >
> : > Wendy
>
> : hmm, the Dijon i buy is a dark yellow with lots of dark brown spots in
> : it from the seeds
>
> : now i have to find deli mustard! never seen it before (that i'm aware of)
>
> : is this a Kosher specialty? or is it available in a generic grocery
> : store (locally, Safeway or whatever grocery store will cater to the
> : local population's tastes, so i just drive to a different store when
> : looking for xxx type of food)
>
> : kate
>
> I have no idea if it is available in your neck of the woods. Itis all
> over my area in many brrands, some kosher and dome not, but it is the
> mustard of the old kosher delis and it the desired one for all those gret
> dJewish deli meats like corned bef, pastrami, tongue and even kosher nice
> a garlicky slalami and, of course, frankfurters(with or without buns)
> My favorite brands are Batampte and Hebre Nationsl(both kosher), but i
> have seen deli musard in A&P in their America's Choice brand. sometime
> they add horseradish to the mustard, but the ones I ike are ust pure
> mustard!

There's a Nathan's (as in Coney Island hot dogs) brand that's pretty
comparable; well, it seems to have fewer additives. I'll have to check
out the Batampte when I use up my current jar.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/14/2012 3:05 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> : Kate, I know, and I also love Dijon mustard. Just not on kosher type
> : deli meats. Gotta have the spicy deli style.
>
> : Susan
>
> Not necessarily hot, but spicy.
>
> Wendy

grin, yes!

but it is interesting to see folks who are used to the yellow stuff
using mustard that isn't 'just the yellow stuff'

slather it on the hamburger or sandwich, take a bite, and hope they have
a newspaper between you and them! LOL

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 15/02/2012 2:33 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
> On 2/14/2012 3:05 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>> : Kate, I know, and I also love Dijon mustard. Just not on kosher type
>> : deli meats. Gotta have the spicy deli style.
>>
>> : Susan
>>
>> Not necessarily hot, but spicy.
>>
>> Wendy

> grin, yes!
>
> but it is interesting to see folks who are used to the yellow stuff
> using mustard that isn't 'just the yellow stuff'
>
> slather it on the hamburger or sandwich, take a bite, and hope they have
> a newspaper between you and them! LOL
>
> kate

I only use "English Mustard" tastes great has bite and clears your sinus
at the same time :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily > wrote:
: On 2/14/2012 3:05 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: > : Kate, I know, and I also love Dijon mustard. Just not on kosher type
: > : deli meats. Gotta have the spicy deli style.
: >
: > : Susan
: >
: > Not necessarily hot, but spicy.
: >
: > Wendy

: grin, yes!

: but it is interesting to see folks who are used to the yellow stuff
: using mustard that isn't 'just the yellow stuff'

: slather it on the hamburger or sandwich, take a bite, and hope they have
: a newspaper between you and them! LOL

: kate

You should have tasted my Mother's home made mustard. Take Coleman's
Mustard Powder, mix with hot water to consistancy desired. Let sit for 10
minutes adn serve. Now that is way hot, lke the mustard in Chinese
restaurnts, which I beliee in made by a similar method.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/15/2012 1:32 AM, RodS wrote:
>> but it is interesting to see folks who are used to the yellow stuff
>> using mustard that isn't 'just the yellow stuff'
>>
>> slather it on the hamburger or sandwich, take a bite, and hope they have
>> a newspaper between you and them! LOL
>>
>> kate

> I only use "English Mustard" tastes great has bite and clears your sinus
> at the same time :-)
>

> (- -)
> =m=(_)=m=
> RodS T2
> Australia

LOL

you 'got' what i was saying, ty!

still giggling

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/15/2012 1:16 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> You should have tasted my Mother's home made mustard. Take Coleman's
> Mustard Powder, mix with hot water to consistancy desired. Let sit for 10
> minutes adn serve. Now that is way hot, lke the mustard in Chinese
> restaurnts, which I beliee in made by a similar method.
>
> Wendy

you've got it Wendy

grin

and i have yet to taste horseradish that hot! LOL

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:16:24 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>Tiger Lily > wrote:
>: On 2/14/2012 3:05 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>: > : Kate, I know, and I also love Dijon mustard. Just not on kosher type
>: > : deli meats. Gotta have the spicy deli style.
>: >
>: > : Susan
>: >
>: > Not necessarily hot, but spicy.
>: >
>: > Wendy
>
>: grin, yes!
>
>: but it is interesting to see folks who are used to the yellow stuff
>: using mustard that isn't 'just the yellow stuff'
>
>: slather it on the hamburger or sandwich, take a bite, and hope they have
>: a newspaper between you and them! LOL
>
>: kate
>
>You should have tasted my Mother's home made mustard. Take Coleman's
>Mustard Powder, mix with hot water to consistancy desired. Let sit for 10
>minutes adn serve. Now that is way hot, lke the mustard in Chinese
>restaurnts, which I beliee in made by a similar method.
>
>Wendy

I have a friend who makes her own mustard. This was absolutely
delicious, but it uses real sugar. I wonder if it could be adapted
with Splenda? Probably..... This is the recipe she sent me along
with her notes just as I got it. I have never made it, but I kept
the recipe.

*************

Rita Mae's Hot and Sweet Mustard Recipe

Ingredients
1 cup Coleman's Dry Mustard (1 1/2 small cans)
1 cup sugar
1 cup white vinegar
2 egg yolks
1 ½ cups yellow prepared mustard (least expensive brand)

Mix dry mustard and vinegar, allow to sit for 8 hours OR strain (make
it like you would gravy)

Add sugar and egg yolks to the dry mustard and vinegar, slowly heat
until boiling.
Boil at least 10 minutes (because of the eggs) until it starts to
thicken.
Add the prepared mustard.
Put into any glass jar, no seal needed.

Keep refrigerated, will keep 9 months or longer.

Makes about a quart.
You can double or triple the recipe.

I've found with that recipe, instead of soaking the powder for so
long, you can mix the powder and vinegar just the same way you'd mix
flour and water for gravy, saves time and works the same.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am dying to read this thread and see how the lesson went, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 2/2/2012 11:54 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> i bet you adjusted well and still can find great items whilst staying on
>> your eating plan... i just love new tstes and i love deconstructing
>> recipes
>> we eat out, Lee

> oh, you have it Lee!!
>
> fortunately, i LOVE spices and......... 'cultural foods'?? for lack of a
> better word (versus over cooked roast and veggies cooked to mush with the
> standard 1/2 plate of potatoes, some days even with gravy!) LOL
>
> i don't eat as MUCH as i used to, but i eat BETTER every day in every way
>

> now, time to check the N Indian food cooking lessons followed by BUFFET
> for $39/head......... 3 hours of lessons, all you can eat and your choice
> of wine or beer
>
> hmmmmmmmmmmmmm yup, that's double what i'd spend on a meal, but think
> that's going to be a GREAT lesson! ((we've had samosa's and such from that
> restaurant via friends before))
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 2/2/2012 11:56 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> they were like pretezels covered in cholate, not worth the screwing up
>> the
>> courage for, an anticlimax really, grubs are too close to worms for me so
>> even garlic and cheese wouldn't get me there atm, but put in the
>> situation i
>> might try... aligator after all wasn't bad and neither is rattlesnake,

> ohhhkay, i'll take your word for it (i don't think i could eat them)
>
> escargot is........ slugs in a shell............. i sorta watch the folk
> at my table eating them, thinking "Well, That's Fantastic!"
>

> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that sucks, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Well, there were no details as to when the lesson would be....... no date,
> no time........ by time i found someone who could answer the question, i
> was told the offer had expired
>
> sigh
>
> next time!
>
> kate
>

> On 2/3/2012 10:31 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> please report back on the food and the lessons, Lee
>>>
>>> oh, you have it Lee!!
>>>
>>> fortunately, i LOVE spices and......... 'cultural foods'?? for lack of a
>>> better word (versus over cooked roast and veggies cooked to mush with
>>> the
>>> standard 1/2 plate of potatoes, some days even with gravy!) LOL
>>>
>>> i don't eat as MUCH as i used to, but i eat BETTER every day in every
>>> way
>>>

>>> now, time to check the N Indian food cooking lessons followed by BUFFET
>>> for $39/head......... 3 hours of lessons, all you can eat and your
>>> choice
>>> of wine or beer
>>>
>>> hmmmmmmmmmmmmm yup, that's double what i'd spend on a meal, but think
>>> that's going to be a GREAT lesson! ((we've had samosa's and such from
>>> that
>>> restaurant via friends before))
>>>
>>> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/23/2012 2:48 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> i am dying to read this thread and see how the lesson went, Lee
> "Tiger > wrote in message
>> On 2/2/2012 11:54 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> i bet you adjusted well and still can find great items whilst staying on
>>> your eating plan... i just love new tstes and i love deconstructing
>>> recipes
>>> we eat out, Lee

>> oh, you have it Lee!!
>>
>> fortunately, i LOVE spices and......... 'cultural foods'?? for lack of a
>> better word (versus over cooked roast and veggies cooked to mush with the
>> standard 1/2 plate of potatoes, some days even with gravy!) LOL
>>
>> i don't eat as MUCH as i used to, but i eat BETTER every day in every way
>>

>> now, time to check the N Indian food cooking lessons followed by BUFFET
>> for $39/head......... 3 hours of lessons, all you can eat and your choice
>> of wine or beer
>>
>> hmmmmmmmmmmmmm yup, that's double what i'd spend on a meal, but think
>> that's going to be a GREAT lesson! ((we've had samosa's and such from that
>> restaurant via friends before))
>>
>> kate

Lee

By time they were able to tell me when the lessons would be held, the
'deal' had expired.

enter friends........ Asmina has invited me over and she is going to
teach me how to mix the various spices and make my own curry (she was
most sympathetic when i told her that the 'curry' in the grocery store
was NOT curry in my books LOL

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it always smelld good to me but the texture gagged me, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Tiger Lily > wrote:
>> On 2/11/2012 6:46 AM, W. Baker wrote:
>> > Tiger > wrote:
>> > : On 2/10/2012 2:56 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
>> > :> beef tongue, dog/kangaroo/lizard/snake/horse/rabbit meat, any kind
>> > :> of bugs

>> > : aspic beef tongue sandwiches are really nice and flavourful
>> >
>> > How about just sliced tongue on good rye bread with mustard! Now there
>> > is a treat.

>> when i cook the beef tongue, it usually ends up gelled or is that
>> jellied?
>>
>> and yes, cook the tongue well and what a very very flavourful meat (just
>> don't let teenlet SEE what it is) LOL

> My eight year old granddaughter loves beef tongue! She's only had it in
> soup, but now wants to try a sandwich.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
> http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

good friend, bummer about the class, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 2/23/2012 2:48 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> i am dying to read this thread and see how the lesson went, Lee
>>>
>>> oh, you have it Lee!!
>>>
>>> fortunately, i LOVE spices and......... 'cultural foods'?? for lack of a
>>> better word (versus over cooked roast and veggies cooked to mush with
>>> the
>>> standard 1/2 plate of potatoes, some days even with gravy!) LOL
>>>
>>> i don't eat as MUCH as i used to, but i eat BETTER every day in every
>>> way
>>>

>>> now, time to check the N Indian food cooking lessons followed by BUFFET
>>> for $39/head......... 3 hours of lessons, all you can eat and your
>>> choice
>>> of wine or beer
>>>
>>> hmmmmmmmmmmmmm yup, that's double what i'd spend on a meal, but think
>>> that's going to be a GREAT lesson! ((we've had samosa's and such from
>>> that
>>> restaurant via friends before))
>>>
>>> kate

> Lee
>
> By time they were able to tell me when the lessons would be held, the
> 'deal' had expired.
>
> enter friends........ Asmina has invited me over and she is going to teach
> me how to mix the various spices and make my own curry (she was most
> sympathetic when i told her that the 'curry' in the grocery store was NOT
> curry in my books LOL
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/24/2012 2:32 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> here's a lol for you, we went to jack in the box tonight, and i asked for
> mustard and they don't have it in packettes, Lee

oh oh oh oh......... please tell me it wasn't in those 'bottomless
mustard/ketchup/condiment" jars......... you know.... the ones that turn
GREEN ON TOP before the kids figure it out???

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/24/2012 2:38 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> good friend, bummer about the class, Lee

i'm sure they will have another class

meanwhile Asmina is THRILLED because we are the only 'white people that
like her cooking'

she's a love........ i've told her we need a WIFE! and anytime she's
interested to call us

we all giggle

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

she offerred to give me some in a container, i don't think they serve it
inside, i think it was in the "tank o mustard in the kitchen, i passed, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 2/24/2012 2:32 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> here's a lol for you, we went to jack in the box tonight, and i asked for
>> mustard and they don't have it in packettes, Lee

> oh oh oh oh......... please tell me it wasn't in those 'bottomless
> mustard/ketchup/condiment" jars......... you know.... the ones that turn
> GREEN ON TOP before the kids figure it out???
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i understand that, i love hot food dh does not but when we are out i get my
hot fix, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 2/24/2012 2:38 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> good friend, bummer about the class, Lee

> i'm sure they will have another class
>
> meanwhile Asmina is THRILLED because we are the only 'white people that
> like her cooking'
>

> she's a love........ i've told her we need a WIFE! and anytime she's
> interested to call us
>
> we all giggle
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/24/2012 3:37 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> she offerred to give me some in a container, i don't think they serve it
> inside, i think it was in the "tank o mustard in the kitchen, i passed, Lee

lol

who was it? 60 minutes? that did the program on the green condiments in
the pump containers that are refilled with NO cleaning!

oh my!
kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/24/2012 3:38 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> i understand that, i love hot food dh does not but when we are out i get my
> hot fix, Lee

sounds like the only times i'm allowed liver n onions for dinner! LOL

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i thankfully missed that, being in food service i just KNOW its all nasty,
lol, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 2/24/2012 3:37 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> she offerred to give me some in a container, i don't think they serve it
>> inside, i think it was in the "tank o mustard in the kitchen, i passed,
>> Lee

> lol
>
> who was it? 60 minutes? that did the program on the green condiments in
> the pump containers that are refilled with NO cleaning!
>
> oh my!
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i have a male work associate who every time we eat out he eats L/O's because
his wife won't cook it in HER kitchen, lee