Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Slow food; time-wise a luxury, but very economical.

The other day I shopped at a wonderful local store which sells grass
fed beef, (and other meats) incredible produce, excellent fish,
natural poultry, fresh baked goods..... you get the picture.

(Wendy will probably be familiar with Adams Fairacre Farms. It's top
notch).

I noticed they had roasting chickens on sale. They were huge and very
inexpensive. I bought the smallest one, fully realizing it was still
way too big for just the two of us.... but there are always a great
many things to do with a bunch of leftover chicken. The price was
right, and they were VERY fresh. I couldn't resist.

Last night I roasted that chicken, and the two of us ate whatever we
wanted from it. I then picked all the remaining meat off the
carcass, sorting it into several batches. Some of the breast meat is
reserved for sandwiches for lunch one day this week. Some little
smallish leftover bits for the cats, who were watching me and begging
as I sorted out the meat. There was still rather a lot of meat, so
I cut up just enough of the smaller chunks to make another
Mulligatawny soup later today. (This time I will adapt that recipe
somewhat more to what I would like it to be)

Some of the nicer pieces of breast and thigh meat went into the
leftover gravy, and then into the freezer for a chicken and gravy
quickie dinner for the two of us, sometime in the future. I will
appreciate not having to cook one evening, and just make a couple of
side dishes and heat up that meat and gravy.

After we were done eating and all the meat had been sorted out, I
tossed the carcass, bones and such with some carrots, celery, onions,
and garlic into a pot and simmered it for a couple of hours getting
almost 3 quarts of home made chicken broth, which turned out
absolutely delicious. Strained it then saved it for my Mulligatawny
soup.

While I was in that lovely store, I also picked up a small Ham.
Tonight that will be our dinner, then I will have a leftover Ham bone
to make a soup out of too, later this week. Ham is always nice as a
leftover for sandwiches, as a base for any bean or lentil soup, and
sometimes it is a nice addition to certain salads. I have a friend
who always includes some ham bits in her macaroni and cheese.

I really appreciate being retired, and having the time to cook "slow
food" at home. It is not only economical, but very much comfort food.
I can take my time, chopping veggies and planning carefully what I
will do, slowly without any rush, taking as many computer breaks or
phone chats as I like along the way.

I worked very hard for many years, and "slow food" is a luxury time
wise, but also very cost effective.

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Wonderful pick up.