Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default For one who shall remain nameless.....

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 10:02 +0100, Bjørn Steensrud
> wrote:

>Evelyn wrote:

>>>hope i didn't get heavy on you Evelyn
>>>
>>>***hugs*** to you and your beautiful GSD
>>>
>>>take heart at the improvement
>>>
>>>kate

>> Thanks. It is good to see him feeling better. He's been pretty
>> miserable, limping around while we waited for the appointment.
>>
>> Evelyn

>There is a movement to reform the breeding of GSDs, toward the
>"old style" dogs with straight backs, higher set tails[0] and healthy hips.
>I hope they make it. It's vital to influence the dog show judges and the
>judging standard, so that traits detrimental to the dog are not rewarded in
>the show ring.
>
>A fellow cat breeder asked a breeder of Persian cats why they bred such
>monsters (at one point some cats had trouble eating and breathing, they
>still have problems with tear ducts) and the answer was "Because the judges
>want them that way".
>
>Change the breed standard and beat up on the judges, the rest of the
>breeders will follow.
>
>[0] A respected vet appeared on TV in connection with a large dog show and
>explained that he often had to operate on GSDs where the base of the tail
>interfered with the dog's rectum and caused open sores ...

I was extremely active in breeding, showing and training GSD's years
ago. Believe me, it is a thing I am glad to have left behind me. I
had wonderful dogs, and bred to the best there was.

We had a huge moving barrel full of trophies and ribbons, silver
trays, beer mugs, all sorts of stuff we won. At one point I was
training director and show chairman for my breed club. That was in
what is nearly another lifetime it was so long ago.

Now I ONLY own pets. I still insist on getting good dogs, but I buy
from a breeder who breeds only from German imported stock. His dogs
are all sold to the police and K-9 people, as well as the obedience
crowd. I would never own another dog bred for the show ring. They
don't care about the dogs mind, only conformation.

This was my own fault for not insisting on both parents being OFA and
having my dog X-rayed at 7 mos. to determine how his hips were. But
the reason for that, is that no way would I give him up at 7 mos. even
if he did have bad hips. I would already love the dog and would keep
him till the problem became evident. So I hoped for the best.

He is now 6 yrs old and he's been good till now.

The anti-inflammatories seem to be doing a very good job, but we are
keeping him from being over active. Moderate exercise only.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message
> you know I luv ya but you can see its a slippery slope to go nuts
> over "wah lah" and stand firm when we all say its meaningless here but
> defend your put of of its misery when it means something bad here?

Krom I am not disputing that it means something different, I am saying
it has two meanings, both of which are in every dictionary online I have
looked at. Bottom line is, do you think I meant Susan should put Jasper
down, given the rest of the post was about treatment and followed a
number of posts dating back until at least August where I talked about
probiotics as a worthwhile thing to try for Jasper?

> as Wendy said dont let your hatred of Susan take you off the rails..

Not off the rails but when someone announces to all and sundry that
"Ozgirl wants to kill my cat" you don't think that worthy of defending?
I provided reputable sources and posted my history of suggestions, none
of which were malevolent posts. I don't know many people who wouldn't
defend themselves in those circumstances.

> I say we from now on state if something has a different meaning to
> people and try to respect that.

One has to know that before they write something, quite impossible. More
mature like behaviour would have been to ask me if I really meant the
cat should be put down as the idiom had, in their experience just one
meaning. Even after I explained the two meanings most wanted to believe
I really wanted to kill Susan's cat. How am I supposed to know most here
only have experience with one meaning before I write? I find it hard to
imagine that even after explanation a lot wanted to totally disregard
any other explanation about the while thing other than what they
personally wanted to believe.

> to me wah lah is perfectly fine but I would avoid saying it if it
> offends you..simple as that
>
> it is a fact that if you told a person her to put their injured animal
> out of its misery you'd get a VERY negative reaction..or worse their
> kid or loved one.
>
> "Oh your grandmas sick?..put her out of her misery"...
>
> that would be bad

It would be but I didn't say it in that context, I suggested ways of how
to put Jasper out of his misery and none of those reasons were death.

> imagine if "bright faced" here was a compliment and a insult there and
> people kept saying what a bright faced family you have

Not sure what bright faced means so I won't comment.

Thanks for the level headed response.

> KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 1/11/2012 1:57 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> Jeremy, blast from the past. I didn't bring his addy over from an old
>> computer (which got accidentally tossed out - don't ask, anything can
>> happen in this house). Is he ok? Give him my email address.

> i'll try......... he's had to make a few moves in the past couple of
> years, and it's been a few months since he's zipped into chat to
> update us
>
> he finally 'get's the diet thing' after seeing a nutritionist "you
> guys were right, that's exactly what she told me to do! i should have
> listened"
>
> he's losing weight, but the complications aren't so good,
> unfortunately

Very sad for a youngun but I hope the diet thing at least works for him.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/11/2012 4:35 PM, Evelyn wrote:
> The anti-inflammatories seem to be doing a very good job, but we are
> keeping him from being over active. Moderate exercise only.
>
> Evelyn

this is very good news Evelyn

when one of my dogs got older and started to be creaky i went to a foam
store and looked thru the 'scraps' bin

i found a 4 inch high density foam square more than large enough for
him....... he didn't hesitate using that foam for a second (prior to
that, he just slept in bed with me LOL, but by this time, getting in and
out of bed was too hard for him)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/11/2012 4:51 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> he's losing weight, but the complications aren't so good, unfortunately
>>

> Very sad for a youngun but I hope the diet thing at least works for him.

ya, i have to agree

but...... we tried

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>
>> IBS is reactionary.

> Not in humans, it's not. Maybe IBS means something different in cats,
> but in humans IBS is at least partly, if not wholly, neurological.

I need to research that line. I have always found my IBS a reaction to
foods/food combinations. Separating foods worked well for me, very well,
after reading Sherry Brescia. Wished I had known about it years ago when
it was debilitating. It was her recommendation that probiotics were
needed while healing the gut when making the food combo changes.
I don't live with IBS daily anymore but from time to time I get
symptomatic and can fix it quickly with the probiotics. I buy a good
quality one with a variety of different bacteria. This neurological path
may be something to investigate for my daughter. Hers doesn't seem to
relate to food at all (proobiotics do work for her but she has a hit and
miss approach to any kind of supplement or medication)and no one has
ever mentioned neurological.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 1/11/2012 4:51 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>> he's losing weight, but the complications aren't so good,
>>> unfortunately
>>>

>> Very sad for a youngun but I hope the diet thing at least works for
>> him.

> ya, i have to agree
>
> but...... we tried

And I realise he is not so young anymore, lol.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: Evelyn > wrote:

: > Cats do puke sometimes. My cat does too. The vet has no idea what
: > the cause is, I have switched food lots of times, always to top
: > quality brands, and yes.... I have given her yogurt.... and the best
: > reason I can come up with is that she tends to eat too much dry food
: > at once too fast.

: That even has a name: "scarf 'n' barf" One of mine does this.

: PP

I had a son who was sometimes like that when young too:-) Fortunately, he
grew out of it.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> >> I'd like to think I am a shining star But I do love Helena Bonham
> >> Carter (sp?).

> > Who? Has she played in any Monty Python productions?

> Not sure without looking it up but Harry Potter, Alice in Wonderland
> (with Johnny Depp) and the delightful Mrs Bucket in Charlie and The
> Chocolate Factory (also with Johnny Depp) to name a small few. She has
> been in a lot of movies with Johnny Depp. I haven't really liked him in
> anything other than Edward Scissorhands and What's Eating Gilbert Grape
> (first time I ever saw Leonardo DiCaprio). Actually just remembered
> Benny and Joon, I liked him in that.

Haven't seen any of those, but you are a shining star!

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/01/2012 4:07 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> 1. I explained (starting at least a couple of days ago) about there
>>> being another meaning (with suggestions to check dictionaries and
>>> context) yet the posts still kept flowing in about it only having one
>>> meaning.
>>>
>>> 2. I haven't claimed dog piling at all. I defined (my own
>>> interpretation) of what dog piling means to me in another message. I
>>> do not feel dog piled.
>>>
>>> 3. This isn't a bum, arse difference at all because every American
>>> dictionary I have been able to see online thus far gives two meanings
>>> to the phrase (*without* saying the second meaning is more commonly a
>>> British phrase) so its more a "I haven't experienced it" moment which
>>> should mean the posts about it should have stopped long before now.
>>>
>>> 4. I have chosen to criticise anyone who has deliberately chosen to
>>> block that second meaning out of their heads (even after my requests
>>> to check out dictionaries and check context).
>>>
>>> 5. My aversion to a lot of things about Susan doesn't cloud my
>>> judgment. People choose to ignore or justify her bad behaviour. If
>>> one wants to take that stance then I enter into a debate with them also.
>>>
>>> 6. This is not simply a language difference (apart from the fact your
>>> dictionaries give two meanings also). If Susan says something
>>> derogatory a number of people jump to her defence claiming language
>>> difference or any other excuse. If I supposedly say something that
>>> could be a language difference issue I am crucified. Name one person
>>> in this thread that has said anything like oh Jan, I understand you
>>> meant no harm, we didn't realise that there was another meaning other
>>> than to euthanise an animal. No posts have had anything remotely
>>> sincere, all have said (bar one) that it means to kill. No
>>> acknowledgment of another meaning therefore no apology.

>> I'm the one who claims dogpiling because that's how I see it.

> But you are really me!

Would you consider 10 rounds with her and can I have the ticket and tv
franchise ? :-)

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message

> Would you consider 10 rounds with her and can I have the ticket and tv
> franchise ? :-)

lol

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/01/2012 9:36 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "KROM" > wrote in message
>> you know I luv ya but you can see its a slippery slope to go nuts
>> over "wah lah" and stand firm when we all say its meaningless here but
>> defend your put of of its misery when it means something bad here?

> Krom I am not disputing that it means something different, I am saying
> it has two meanings, both of which are in every dictionary online I have
> looked at. Bottom line is, do you think I meant Susan should put Jasper
> down, given the rest of the post was about treatment and followed a
> number of posts dating back until at least August where I talked about
> probiotics as a worthwhile thing to try for Jasper?
>
>> as Wendy said dont let your hatred of Susan take you off the rails..

> Not off the rails but when someone announces to all and sundry that
> "Ozgirl wants to kill my cat" you don't think that worthy of defending?
> I provided reputable sources and posted my history of suggestions, none
> of which were malevolent posts. I don't know many people who wouldn't
> defend themselves in those circumstances.
>
>> I say we from now on state if something has a different meaning to
>> people and try to respect that.

> One has to know that before they write something, quite impossible. More
> mature like behaviour would have been to ask me if I really meant the
> cat should be put down as the idiom had, in their experience just one
> meaning. Even after I explained the two meanings most wanted to believe
> I really wanted to kill Susan's cat. How am I supposed to know most here
> only have experience with one meaning before I write? I find it hard to
> imagine that even after explanation a lot wanted to totally disregard
> any other explanation about the while thing other than what they
> personally wanted to believe.
>
>> to me wah lah is perfectly fine but I would avoid saying it if it
>> offends you..simple as that
>>
>> it is a fact that if you told a person her to put their injured animal
>> out of its misery you'd get a VERY negative reaction..or worse their
>> kid or loved one.
>>
>> "Oh your grandmas sick?..put her out of her misery"...
>>
>> that would be bad

> It would be but I didn't say it in that context, I suggested ways of how
> to put Jasper out of his misery and none of those reasons were death.
>
>> imagine if "bright faced" here was a compliment and a insult there and
>> people kept saying what a bright faced family you have

> Not sure what bright faced means so I won't comment.
>
> Thanks for the level headed response.
>
>> KROM

Problem is those that decided it was a great opportunity to attack Jan
on this occasion and others on other occasions just don't want the truth
to stand in the way of an argument regardless.

Try he

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppK6sxz6epk

Go for the full half hour and get it out of your system.

:-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yes I wasnt arguing about the argument..lol..I was simply stating the first
reaction pretty much 99 percent of all Americans would have to that
statement.
I was barely skimming the fight as that holds no interest for me..but saw
that statement and the back and forth on it.

Google by the way has regional filters.

its sort of crappy but true..in a southern state they may promote a result
different then a northern state...a rich area different then a poor.

So when I Google that statement I get zero results of it having a meaning
other then kill

you very well could have meant kill as a human last resort..again I wasnt
paying attention..

if she had said my cat so sick it is in constant pain and the vet said I
should put it to sleep but I dont want to and it is blind and unable to eat
and howling in pain constantly etc etc etc.

a reasonable person would say "for god sakes woman put the animal down/to
sleep because your being cruel to it keeping it suffering."

that would be perfectly reasonable..but even if that was the case the debate
was on the meaning to 99 percent of us here of that statement...not its
context

so to answer no I dont think your a cat serial killer..lol

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote in message ...

"KROM" > wrote in message
> you know I luv ya but you can see its a slippery slope to go nuts over
> "wah lah" and stand firm when we all say its meaningless here but defend
> your put of of its misery when it means something bad here?

Krom I am not disputing that it means something different, I am saying
it has two meanings, both of which are in every dictionary online I have
looked at. Bottom line is, do you think I meant Susan should put Jasper
down, given the rest of the post was about treatment and followed a
number of posts dating back until at least August where I talked about
probiotics as a worthwhile thing to try for Jasper?

> as Wendy said dont let your hatred of Susan take you off the rails..

Not off the rails but when someone announces to all and sundry that
"Ozgirl wants to kill my cat" you don't think that worthy of defending?
I provided reputable sources and posted my history of suggestions, none
of which were malevolent posts. I don't know many people who wouldn't
defend themselves in those circumstances.

> I say we from now on state if something has a different meaning to people
> and try to respect that.

One has to know that before they write something, quite impossible. More
mature like behaviour would have been to ask me if I really meant the
cat should be put down as the idiom had, in their experience just one
meaning. Even after I explained the two meanings most wanted to believe
I really wanted to kill Susan's cat. How am I supposed to know most here
only have experience with one meaning before I write? I find it hard to
imagine that even after explanation a lot wanted to totally disregard
any other explanation about the while thing other than what they
personally wanted to believe.

> to me wah lah is perfectly fine but I would avoid saying it if it offends
> you..simple as that
>
> it is a fact that if you told a person her to put their injured animal out
> of its misery you'd get a VERY negative reaction..or worse their kid or
> loved one.
>
> "Oh your grandmas sick?..put her out of her misery"...
>
> that would be bad

It would be but I didn't say it in that context, I suggested ways of how
to put Jasper out of his misery and none of those reasons were death.

> imagine if "bright faced" here was a compliment and a insult there and
> people kept saying what a bright faced family you have

Not sure what bright faced means so I won't comment.

Thanks for the level headed response.

> KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily wrote:

> On 1/10/2012 11:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> That might be acceptable but... I am not supposed to say that I don't
>> like
>> something. So I don't know if it would be acceptable for*you* to say
>> that I don't like something.

> eeeeeewwwwwwwww, that's DISGUSTING i would NEVER eat that, it's too
> slimey and i can't stand it, it makes me want to GACK and PUKE
>
> sorry, Julie, bit of a difference on what you think folks were frowning
> upon and what you see/saw/think

Google "thorrablot" and read the food list. I dare you. Generic "you", that
is. Don't do it, Julie.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> Now I ONLY own pets. I still insist on getting good dogs, but I buy
> from a breeder who breeds only from German imported stock. His dogs
> are all sold to the police and K-9 people, as well as the obedience
> crowd. I would never own another dog bred for the show ring. They
> don't care about the dogs mind, only conformation.
>
> This was my own fault for not insisting on both parents being OFA and
> having my dog X-rayed at 7 mos. to determine how his hips were. But
> the reason for that, is that no way would I give him up at 7 mos. even
> if he did have bad hips. I would already love the dog and would keep
> him till the problem became evident. So I hoped for the best.
>
> He is now 6 yrs old and he's been good till now.
>
> The anti-inflammatories seem to be doing a very good job, but we are
> keeping him from being over active. Moderate exercise only.

That's good to hear, Evelyn.
The problem with having dogs and/or cats is that we come to love them so
much.

I still miss Simba (he was a cream colored cat, hence the name) who just
disappeared, years ago. I have his litter brother, but he's quite different.
I would have shown Simba to the highest titles, he was that nice, and with a
temperament to match. I never showed cats that did not like the show halls.

> Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 18:28:28 +0100, Bjørn Steensrud
> wrote:

>Evelyn wrote:
>

>> Now I ONLY own pets. I still insist on getting good dogs, but I buy
>> from a breeder who breeds only from German imported stock. His dogs
>> are all sold to the police and K-9 people, as well as the obedience
>> crowd. I would never own another dog bred for the show ring. They
>> don't care about the dogs mind, only conformation.
>>
>> This was my own fault for not insisting on both parents being OFA and
>> having my dog X-rayed at 7 mos. to determine how his hips were. But
>> the reason for that, is that no way would I give him up at 7 mos. even
>> if he did have bad hips. I would already love the dog and would keep
>> him till the problem became evident. So I hoped for the best.
>>
>> He is now 6 yrs old and he's been good till now.
>>
>> The anti-inflammatories seem to be doing a very good job, but we are
>> keeping him from being over active. Moderate exercise only.

>That's good to hear, Evelyn.
>The problem with having dogs and/or cats is that we come to love them so
>much.
>
>I still miss Simba (he was a cream colored cat, hence the name) who just
>disappeared, years ago. I have his litter brother, but he's quite different.
>I would have shown Simba to the highest titles, he was that nice, and with a
>temperament to match. I never showed cats that did not like the show halls.

I have one cat that is the most amazing, loving, trusting, gentle cat
I have ever owned, and another who is a bit standoffish. She is
loving too, but nothing like the other one, who is unbelievable.
Everyone who comes over wants to steal her or clone her. :-) Animals
have very different personalities, even if you raise them the same
way.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Bjørn Steensrud" > wrote in message
> Tiger Lily wrote:
>
>> On 1/10/2012 11:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> That might be acceptable but... I am not supposed to say that I don't
>>> like
>>> something. So I don't know if it would be acceptable for*you* to say
>>> that I don't like something.

>> eeeeeewwwwwwwww, that's DISGUSTING i would NEVER eat that, it's too
>> slimey and i can't stand it, it makes me want to GACK and PUKE
>>
>> sorry, Julie, bit of a difference on what you think folks were frowning
>> upon and what you see/saw/think

> Google "thorrablot" and read the food list. I dare you. Generic "you",
> that
> is. Don't do it, Julie.

I actually did it! *snicker*

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 18:28:28 +0100, Bjørn Steensrud
> > wrote:
>
>>Evelyn wrote:
>>

>>> Now I ONLY own pets. I still insist on getting good dogs, but I buy
>>> from a breeder who breeds only from German imported stock. His dogs
>>> are all sold to the police and K-9 people, as well as the obedience
>>> crowd. I would never own another dog bred for the show ring. They
>>> don't care about the dogs mind, only conformation.
>>>
>>> This was my own fault for not insisting on both parents being OFA and
>>> having my dog X-rayed at 7 mos. to determine how his hips were. But
>>> the reason for that, is that no way would I give him up at 7 mos. even
>>> if he did have bad hips. I would already love the dog and would keep
>>> him till the problem became evident. So I hoped for the best.
>>>
>>> He is now 6 yrs old and he's been good till now.
>>>
>>> The anti-inflammatories seem to be doing a very good job, but we are
>>> keeping him from being over active. Moderate exercise only.

>>That's good to hear, Evelyn.
>>The problem with having dogs and/or cats is that we come to love them so
>>much.
>>
>>I still miss Simba (he was a cream colored cat, hence the name) who just
>>disappeared, years ago. I have his litter brother, but he's quite
>>different.
>>I would have shown Simba to the highest titles, he was that nice, and with
>>temperament to match. I never showed cats that did not like the show
>>halls.

> I have one cat that is the most amazing, loving, trusting, gentle cat
> I have ever owned, and another who is a bit standoffish. She is
> loving too, but nothing like the other one, who is unbelievable.
> Everyone who comes over wants to steal her or clone her. :-) Animals
> have very different personalities, even if you raise them the same
> way.
>
> Evelyn

Ballerina and Jazzy are very different cats. The people at Paddywack (where
we got them) were astounded that Ballerina would sit in our laps. She does
to it rarely and even tolerates me picking her up for cuddles sometimes.
Mostly she just stiffens on me. She lets Angela pick her up all the time.
*sniff* She was about 7 months when we got her. Not sure when she was
taken in by Purrfect Pals but they were the first humans she ever
encountered. So basically feral but... Her mom had been raised by humans.
Sadly she was abandoned.

Jazzy sits in Angela's lap all the time but wouldn't sit in mine unless I
sat on the couch. Until yesterday. Both then and today she climbed in my
lap in the computer chair and purred loudly.

Both of them take turns sleeping with us. Jazzy likes to sit on some
storage boxes that are next to Angela's bed. She can see out the door from
there and I think she is keeping watch.

Jazzy usually sleeps on the pillow next to mine where Maui used to sleep.
But she also likes to climb on top of me and dig her paws into the blanket
if I put a really soft one on top of me. But recently she has developed an
annoying habit. She did it to Angela first. She bit her on the elbow then
the shoulder then her hair. Angela became hysterical because she didn't
know what to do. Then she determined that Jazzy just wanted to be petted.
She wasn't biting hard.

She did it to me the other day. The problem? I was on my side and she was
on top of my arm which was under the blanket. I couldn't move my arm to
reach her and the other arm was such that I couldn't fully pet her. Could
only reach a little bit. The biting is sort of like...with her top teeth,
the big two only. It did hurt!

Ballerina usually snuggles up very close at my knees or around my tummy. I
think she likes to be warm. But if she wants petted, she will start to
wiggle and squirm all over me. She likes to be petted all over with two
hands at once.

Jazzy will come to bed with me if I tell her to. But Ballerina generally
won't. She seems much more independent. She is the first one to come if
she thinks there will be food though. And she eats more than her mom does
even though she still appears to be a bit on the thin side.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 15/01/2012 2:58 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Tiger Lily wrote:
>
>> On 1/10/2012 11:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> That might be acceptable but... I am not supposed to say that I don't
>>> like
>>> something. So I don't know if it would be acceptable for*you* to say
>>> that I don't like something.

>> eeeeeewwwwwwwww, that's DISGUSTING i would NEVER eat that, it's too
>> slimey and i can't stand it, it makes me want to GACK and PUKE
>>
>> sorry, Julie, bit of a difference on what you think folks were frowning
>> upon and what you see/saw/think

> Google "thorrablot" and read the food list. I dare you. Generic "you", that
> is. Don't do it, Julie.

I don't think I'm gunner add eating that to my bucket list, not that
adventurous :-)

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/14/2012 9:58 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Google "thorrablot" and read the food list. I dare you. Generic "you", that
> is.

Hákarl (putrefied shark)
Blóðmör (filled sausage/black pudding)
Hrútspungur (ram's scrotum with testicles)
Lundabaggi (sheep's fat)
Svinasulta (jellied ham)
Svið (jellied sheep's head)
Harðfiskur (bread spread made of fish)
Hangikjot (smoked lamb)

oh yes, rotting meat, just what i want

TG i live today! i would never have got to grade school age LOL

katee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 17:44:32 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

>She did it to me the other day. The problem? I was on my side and she was
>on top of my arm which was under the blanket. I couldn't move my arm to
>reach her and the other arm was such that I couldn't fully pet her. Could
>only reach a little bit. The biting is sort of like...with her top teeth,
>the big two only. It did hurt!
>
>Ballerina usually snuggles up very close at my knees or around my tummy. I
>think she likes to be warm. But if she wants petted, she will start to
>wiggle and squirm all over me. She likes to be petted all over with two
>hands at once.
>
>Jazzy will come to bed with me if I tell her to. But Ballerina generally
>won't. She seems much more independent. She is the first one to come if
>she thinks there will be food though. And she eats more than her mom does
>even though she still appears to be a bit on the thin side.

My black kitty will do that too! She will gently bite you if you stop
petting her. Not enough to really hurt you, but enough to get your
attention!

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily wrote:

> On 1/14/2012 9:58 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
>> Google "thorrablot" and read the food list. I dare you. Generic "you",
>> that is.

> Blóðmör (filled sausage/black pudding)

> Svinasulta (jellied ham)
> Svið (jellied sheep's head)
>
> oh yes, rotting meat, just what i want

It's only the shark that's - well, suspect. The ones I have left in are
known here in Norway as well: Svinasulta must be Sylte, made from slices of
pork (and veal), in pork stock, wrapped in cheesecloth and pressed for a
couple of days. I forget the spices, but slices of the product taken with
mustard - delicious. Most people know black pudding, can also be made in
sausage form. Dw loves it, I hate it!

Svið - Smalahove - I've never had it. Smoked sheep's head, the wool is
burned off. Smalahove is a western dialect word meaning - sheep's head :-)

> TG i live today! i would never have got to grade school age LOL
>
> katee

Have you ever had Rocky Mountain Oysters? <G>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: Tiger Lily wrote:

: > On 1/14/2012 9:58 AM, Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
: >> Google "thorrablot" and read the food list. I dare you. Generic "you",
: >> that is.
: >

: > Bl??m?r (filled sausage/black pudding)

: > Svinasulta (jellied ham)
: > Svi? (jellied sheep's head)
: >
: > oh yes, rotting meat, just what i want

: It's only the shark that's - well, suspect. The ones I have left in are
: known here in Norway as well: Svinasulta must be Sylte, made from slices of
: pork (and veal), in pork stock, wrapped in cheesecloth and pressed for a
: couple of days. I forget the spices, but slices of the product taken with
: mustard - delicious. Most people know black pudding, can also be made in
: sausage form. Dw loves it, I hate it!

: Svi? - Smalahove - I've never had it. Smoked sheep's head, the wool is
: burned off. Smalahove is a western dialect word meaning - sheep's head :-)

: > TG i live today! i would never have got to grade school age LOL
: >
: > katee

: Have you ever had Rocky Mountain Oysters? <G>

Usually called Prarie oysters in my experience, and for me the answer is
no, but I have had ptcha(hate it) which are jellied calves feet.

The Scots have haggis, sheep's stomach packed with oatmeal and other stuff

Then there is head cheese,

Pork jowls, pickled pigs' feet,

Calves brains, cows stomach(tripe), sausage casings( intestine)

The list goes on. In many societies it was necessary to use every bit of
the amnimal as they needed all the food they cul dscrape together.

Ofen what we look at as yech was once considered a delicacy. We still
carryon about fish roe(eggs taken form inside the fish) How about steak
and kidney pie? If you have ever handled kidneys you know they can have a
familiar smell we generally don't associate with food:-)

Spleen, heart, lungs(often now forbidden as germ carrierTB, I believe).
chicken gizzards, etc. The list goes on.

Every culture has such foods so don't pick, particularly on Norway:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 20:30:34 +0100, Bjørn Steensrud
> wrote:

>Tiger Lily wrote:
>
>> On 1/14/2012 9:58 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
>>> Google "thorrablot" and read the food list. I dare you. Generic "you",
>>> that is.

>> Blóðmör (filled sausage/black pudding)

>> Svinasulta (jellied ham)
>> Svið (jellied sheep's head)
>>
>> oh yes, rotting meat, just what i want

>It's only the shark that's - well, suspect. The ones I have left in are
>known here in Norway as well: Svinasulta must be Sylte, made from slices of
>pork (and veal), in pork stock, wrapped in cheesecloth and pressed for a
>couple of days. I forget the spices, but slices of the product taken with
>mustard - delicious. Most people know black pudding, can also be made in
>sausage form. Dw loves it, I hate it!
>
>Svið - Smalahove - I've never had it. Smoked sheep's head, the wool is
>burned off. Smalahove is a western dialect word meaning - sheep's head :-)
>
>> TG i live today! i would never have got to grade school age LOL
>>
>> katee

>Have you ever had Rocky Mountain Oysters? <G>

Sylte, is also known by that name in Estonian, but the Germans call it
"head cheese". All it is, is bits of meat cooked down to a rich
jellied stock, then chilled, sliced, and served with mustard. Yes,
it is delicious. All that collagen is probably good for you!

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 21:56:34 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
>: Tiger Lily wrote:
>
>: > On 1/14/2012 9:58 AM, Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
>: >> Google "thorrablot" and read the food list. I dare you. Generic "you",
>: >> that is.
>: >
>
>: > Bl??m?r (filled sausage/black pudding)
>
>: > Svinasulta (jellied ham)
>: > Svi? (jellied sheep's head)
>: >
>: > oh yes, rotting meat, just what i want
>
>: It's only the shark that's - well, suspect. The ones I have left in are
>: known here in Norway as well: Svinasulta must be Sylte, made from slices of
>: pork (and veal), in pork stock, wrapped in cheesecloth and pressed for a
>: couple of days. I forget the spices, but slices of the product taken with
>: mustard - delicious. Most people know black pudding, can also be made in
>: sausage form. Dw loves it, I hate it!
>
>: Svi? - Smalahove - I've never had it. Smoked sheep's head, the wool is
>: burned off. Smalahove is a western dialect word meaning - sheep's head :-)
>
>: > TG i live today! i would never have got to grade school age LOL
>: >
>: > katee
>
>: Have you ever had Rocky Mountain Oysters? <G>
>
>Usually called Prarie oysters in my experience, and for me the answer is
>no, but I have had ptcha(hate it) which are jellied calves feet.
>
>The Scots have haggis, sheep's stomach packed with oatmeal and other stuff
>
>Then there is head cheese,
>
>Pork jowls, pickled pigs' feet,
>
>Calves brains, cows stomach(tripe), sausage casings( intestine)
>
>The list goes on. In many societies it was necessary to use every bit of
>the amnimal as they needed all the food they cul dscrape together.
>
>Ofen what we look at as yech was once considered a delicacy. We still
>carryon about fish roe(eggs taken form inside the fish) How about steak
>and kidney pie? If you have ever handled kidneys you know they can have a
>familiar smell we generally don't associate with food:-)
>
>Spleen, heart, lungs(often now forbidden as germ carrierTB, I believe).
>chicken gizzards, etc. The list goes on.
>
>Every culture has such foods so don't pick, particularly on Norway:-)
>
>Wendy

When my mother would cook a turkey, she would leave the gizzard in the
pan as it roasted. We'd fight over that delicious bit. It is a
muscle after all, with a bit of a gamey taste. Chicken gizzards are
good too.

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
> : Tiger Lily wrote:
>
> : > On 1/14/2012 9:58 AM, Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
> : >> Google "thorrablot" and read the food list. I dare you. Generic
> "you",
> : >> that is.
> : >
>
> : > Bl??m?r (filled sausage/black pudding)
>
> : > Svinasulta (jellied ham)
> : > Svi? (jellied sheep's head)
> : >
> : > oh yes, rotting meat, just what i want
>
> : It's only the shark that's - well, suspect. The ones I have left in are
> : known here in Norway as well: Svinasulta must be Sylte, made from
> slices of
> : pork (and veal), in pork stock, wrapped in cheesecloth and pressed for a
> : couple of days. I forget the spices, but slices of the product taken
> with
> : mustard - delicious. Most people know black pudding, can also be made in
> : sausage form. Dw loves it, I hate it!
>
> : Svi? - Smalahove - I've never had it. Smoked sheep's head, the wool is
> : burned off. Smalahove is a western dialect word meaning - sheep's head
> :-)
>
> : > TG i live today! i would never have got to grade school age LOL
> : >
> : > katee
>
> : Have you ever had Rocky Mountain Oysters? <G>
>
> Usually called Prarie oysters in my experience, and for me the answer is
> no, but I have had ptcha(hate it) which are jellied calves feet.
>
> The Scots have haggis, sheep's stomach packed with oatmeal and other stuff
>
> Then there is head cheese,
>
> Pork jowls, pickled pigs' feet,
>
> Calves brains, cows stomach(tripe), sausage casings( intestine)
>
> The list goes on. In many societies it was necessary to use every bit of
> the amnimal as they needed all the food they cul dscrape together.
>
> Ofen what we look at as yech was once considered a delicacy. We still
> carryon about fish roe(eggs taken form inside the fish) How about steak
> and kidney pie? If you have ever handled kidneys you know they can have a
> familiar smell we generally don't associate with food:-)
>
> Spleen, heart, lungs(often now forbidden as germ carrierTB, I believe).
> chicken gizzards, etc. The list goes on.
>
> Every culture has such foods so don't pick, particularly on Norway:-)

I was watching a show the other day where they said the slit the fish open,
take her eggs, sew her back up and set her free. Said that they can keep
harvesting the eggs again and again that way. How mean!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/15/2012 12:30 PM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Have you ever had Rocky Mountain Oysters?<G>

well, there is this dish at the vietnamese restaurant

this soup contains noodles, spices, beef balls, and more

there are these circles of........ whiter than normal 'beef' in the soup

yup........... they really meant beef BALLS

we call 'em prairie oysters as there is so much cattle country near
us.... i'm lucky to live near the foothills that abutt the Rocky
Mountains, and on the other side of town is 'prairie'

caution, 'prairie' isn't flat, it has dips and dales and valleys and
hills............ but it appears that you can see 'flat' for 100's of miles

i can see the Rocky Mountains across the 'prairie' from 250 miles
away....... the camera lens on my el cheapo won't pick up that detail,
i've been trying for a while to give some idea of what we can see with
the naked eye here........ just haven't been able to

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 20:30:34 +0100, Bjørn Steensrud
> > wrote:
>
>>Tiger Lily wrote:

>>> Blóðmör (filled sausage/black pudding)

>>> Svinasulta (jellied ham)
>>> Svið (jellied sheep's head)
>>>
>>> oh yes, rotting meat, just what i want

>>It's only the shark that's - well, suspect. The ones I have left in
>>are
>>known here in Norway as well: Svinasulta must be Sylte, made from
>>slices of
>>pork (and veal), in pork stock, wrapped in cheesecloth and pressed for
>>couple of days. I forget the spices, but slices of the product taken
>>with
>>mustard - delicious. Most people know black pudding, can also be made
>>in
>>sausage form. Dw loves it, I hate it!
>>
>>Svið - Smalahove - I've never had it. Smoked sheep's head, the wool is
>>burned off. Smalahove is a western dialect word meaning - sheep's head
>>:-)
>>
>>> TG i live today! i would never have got to grade school age LOL
>>>
>>> katee

>>Have you ever had Rocky Mountain Oysters? <G>

Head cheese has another meaning here and the first time I saw someone
talking about head cheese in reference to food I was what the..??

All it is, is bits of meat cooked down to a rich
> jellied stock, then chilled, sliced, and served with mustard.

That would be called brawn here. I suspect the deli stuff here is just
chopped various meats in aspic.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

and trust me when i say they will tell you when its time so don't think
about it, Lee
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 13:29:39 -0700, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>>> Thanks so much. He's doing a lot better on the anti inflammatories
>>> and pain pills, but I don't kid myself that this is any thing but a
>>> respite. His hips are a mess. :-(
>>>
>>> Evelyn

>>Evelyn, i know folks who have paid $3K/hip to fix this for their dogs.
>>The dogs ended up on more pain killers and perhaps a couple of years
>>of..... living?
>>It's sad and it's hard to deal with. Dogs give us unconditional LOVE!
>>
>>***hugs***
>>kate

> We won't put him through medical hell, and we really can't afford to
> on our side either. I had a dog with displaysia before and he lived
> to be ten yrs old before he got bad enough to be put down. It broke
> my heart and I still cry if I think of him. I don't want to think
> about where this will go because it is too painful to contemplate. I
> am going to take this one day at a time. For the moment, we are
> seeing improvement. That is good.
>
> Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/27/2012 9:02 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> and trust me when i say they will tell you when its time so don't think
> about it, Lee

ya, Lee :/

if you listen to them............... that was a HARD lesson for me, many
years (decades?) ago

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

its very hard because our love for them gets in the way, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 1/27/2012 9:02 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> and trust me when i say they will tell you when its time so don't think
>> about it, Lee

> ya, Lee :/
>
> if you listen to them............... that was a HARD lesson for me, many
> years (decades?) ago
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Yup, Duke gave me SO MUCH over the years, i felt VERY guilty at
potentially 'abandoning him in his time of need'

the vet was kind and honest

i didn't 'hear'

he recovered (well, not really, he was ready to die and let me know
that)..... that's about when i burst into tears and took the next 3 days
sorting out what i had to do

i still cry!

kate

On 1/28/2012 9:59 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> its very hard because our love for them gets in the way, Lee
> "Tiger > wrote in message
>> On 1/27/2012 9:02 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> and trust me when i say they will tell you when its time so don't think
>>> about it, Lee

>> ya, Lee :/
>>
>> if you listen to them............... that was a HARD lesson for me, many
>> years (decades?) ago
>>
>> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Yup, Duke gave me SO MUCH over the years, i felt VERY guilty at
> potentially 'abandoning him in his time of need'
>
> the vet was kind and honest
>
> i didn't 'hear'
>
> he recovered (well, not really, he was ready to die and let me know
> that)..... that's about when i burst into tears and took the next 3 days
> sorting out what i had to do
>
> i still cry!
>
> kate

I know kate, I still have an ache where Sophie was too. :-(

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/2/2012 11:26 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> Yup, Duke gave me SO MUCH over the years, i felt VERY guilty at
>> potentially 'abandoning him in his time of need'
>>
>> the vet was kind and honest
>>
>> i didn't 'hear'
>>
>> he recovered (well, not really, he was ready to die and let me know
>> that)..... that's about when i burst into tears and took the next 3
>> days sorting out what i had to do
>>
>> i still cry!
>>
>> kate

> I know kate, I still have an ache where Sophie was too. :-(
>
> Cheri

some dogs are just our "heart" dogs, aren't they??

i love the dogs i've had since Gramps, but............ Gramps was MY DOG
thru and thru, i don't know who needed each other the most (i suspect it
was me with him a close 2nd)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/10/2012 9:28 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 1/10/2012 7:43 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>> "And how about putting that poor cat out of yours out of its misery.
>>> *****You could try probiotics. ******

>> i pretty much read "the probiotics will help put your cat out of the
>> misery it is suffering from......... and is an easy option to try"
>>
>> there was other discussion on the probiotics leading up to this
>> statement to try to help Susan's cat
>>
>> i was dismayed at the connoctations taken out of context..... i can
>> see where picking up one part of the sentence would skew your initial
>> intention, but reading the thread as it unfolded certainly gave a
>> different 'slant' on how folks read things
>>
>> but, i happen to know you are an animal lover and would go to whatever
>> lengths to ease the misery the animal is suffering (no, i'm not
>> purporting euthenasia, and i know you know how to spell that word
>> better than i can)
>>

> Animals to me are family members. I have never ever understood why a
> horse gets put down because of a broken leg. Anyone who knows me
> personally would have an extremely hard time believing I would be
> telling Susan to put her cat down. But my personal testimony means jack
> shit amongst strangers. So be it.

Probably because horses are unable to avoid putting weight on a
broken leg long enough for it to recover.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/15/2012 1:30 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
> On 1/14/2012 9:58 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
>> Google "thorrablot" and read the food list. I dare you. Generic "you",
>> that
>> is.

> Hákarl (putrefied shark)
> Blóðmör (filled sausage/black pudding)
> Hrútspungur (ram's scrotum with testicles)
> Lundabaggi (sheep's fat)
> Svinasulta (jellied ham)
> Svið (jellied sheep's head)
> Harðfiskur (bread spread made of fish)
> Hangikjot (smoked lamb)
>
> oh yes, rotting meat, just what i want
>
> TG i live today! i would never have got to grade school age LOL
>
> katee

I've tried some durian. Think of a fruit that tastes OK, if
you hold your nose shut to keep out the smell.

Robert Miles
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/10/2012 11:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>>

>> > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 11:24:56 +1000, "Ozgirl"

[snip]
> I think she just wants to be another dogpiler.

I don't recall seeing any group of dogs showing signs of
WANTING to become a pile.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/10/2012 4:30 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Peppermint > wrote in message
> news
>> In >,
>> > wrote:

[snip]
>>> And WTF? You killfiled me. Please don't respond to me unless you know
>>> WTF you are talking about.

>> I killfiled you in a.s.d.
>>
>> And I stand by what I said.

> You can KF by NG? I can't!

Depends on which newsreader you use. I use Thunderbird, which
makes it easier to KF by NG than by more general means.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Robert Miles wrote:

> On 1/15/2012 1:30 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
>> On 1/14/2012 9:58 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
>>> Google "thorrablot" and read the food list. I dare you. Generic "you",
>>> that
>>> is.

>> Hákarl (putrefied shark)
>> Blóðmör (filled sausage/black pudding)
>> Hrútspungur (ram's scrotum with testicles)
>> Lundabaggi (sheep's fat)
>> Svinasulta (jellied ham)
>> Svið (jellied sheep's head)
>> Harðfiskur (bread spread made of fish)
>> Hangikjot (smoked lamb)
>>
>> oh yes, rotting meat, just what i want
>>
>> TG i live today! i would never have got to grade school age LOL
>>
>> katee

> I've tried some durian. Think of a fruit that tastes OK, if
> you hold your nose shut to keep out the smell.
>
> Robert Miles

Durian milkshake, yum ! Singapore McDonalds. I hear the outside of the
fruit smells of hydrogen sulfide?