Old 11-01-2012, 05:39 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default For one who shall remain nameless.....

On 1/11/2012 1:59 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 1/10/2012 11:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
That might be acceptable but... I am not supposed to say that I don't
like
something. So I don't know if it would be acceptable for*you* to say
that
I don't like something.

eeeeeewwwwwwwww, that's DISGUSTING i would NEVER eat that, it's too
slimey and i can't stand it, it makes me want to GACK and PUKE

Here's a pukey bucket. Actually I use empty ice cream containers, keep a
few hidden away in cupboards around the house. Good thing is you can
toss them out afterwards.

lol, love it

kate (i just use a plastic waste basket and dump it out)

Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/11/2012 8:43 AM, Evelyn wrote:
I want to say.... why can't we all just get along? Forget I asked
that. I know why, but don't want to prolong the misery any more!:-)

You mean you want to kill us?

LOL!

Evelyn

oh good, i didn't have to say it, someone else did.......... or, was
.......... shut up! LOL

kate
Old 11-01-2012, 06:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/11/2012 7:19 AM, Susan wrote:
x-o-archive: yes

On 1/10/2012 10:38 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:

i've been studiously avoiding this conversation

may i comment with love and honesty?

why don't you do XXX AND try probiotics was what i had read as the
thread was being revealed in RL

if you follow the thread lines, it gets horribly confusing and doesn't
follow the intention behind the lines

Jan had been trying to talk about the benefits of probiotics for IBS and
such......... i know she is an advocate for animals as well as people,
and i would be mortified if i thought for 1 second that she was telling
you to 'just kill your cat'...... that's not the lady i've known for
over a decade, in some very real and very difficult times (mine)

i respect both of you in your own ways, and i shall choose to not say
anything further........ i don't know how to fix this

Just so I have this straight; the rule is that we all get subjected to
obsessive stalking and name calling until I fall in line and feed my cat
yogurt?

Susan

oh boy, not anything like what i was saying

over and out!

kate
Old 11-01-2012, 06:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Rescue Remedy

On 1/11/2012 7:23 AM, Susan wrote:
no, i don't know what is in rescue remedy, i asked the vet for Valium
for my dogs when they needed sedation

Actually, the vet's tech suggested that I put some in the water bowl. I
have no faith in homeopathy, but looked for it yesterday and will look
for it again today after my nursing visit.

Susan

I'll ask the doggie group if you would like. There are ladies over
there who have been rescuing dogs for decades, and often these dogs come
from a bad situation and need to be 'readjusted' to a more normal
life......... it's called rescue remedy as it solves these issues (see
rescue dogs)

kate
Old 11-01-2012, 06:16 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-archive: yse

On 1/11/2012 1:08 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:

On 1/11/2012 7:23 AM, Susan wrote:

I didn't write the paragraph immediately below:
no, i don't know what is in rescue remedy, i asked the vet for Valium
for my dogs when they needed sedation

I wrote the below paragraph.

Actually, the vet's tech suggested that I put some in the water bowl. I
have no faith in homeopathy, but looked for it yesterday and will look
for it again today after my nursing visit.

Susan

I'll ask the doggie group if you would like. There are ladies over there
who have been rescuing dogs for decades, and often these dogs come from
a bad situation and need to be 'readjusted' to a more normal
life......... it's called rescue remedy as it solves these issues (see
rescue dogs)

I don't have a dog, but there's no harm in putting it in the water and
seeing what happens, so I'll go to the HFS to get some. My cats showed
immediate improved calmness with the Feliway defuser and the spray.

Susan

Old 11-01-2012, 06:31 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/11/2012 11:16 AM, Susan wrote:
I don't have a dog, but there's no harm in putting it in the water and
seeing what happens, so I'll go to the HFS to get some. My cats showed
immediate improved calmness with the Feliway defuser and the spray.

Susan

i've never tried the defuser, but read about it with interest when you
first posted

Rescue remedy is used for a wide variety of pets from birds to cats to
dogs to..... My connection is via the dog end of the pet world. iirc
one of the ladies used rescue remedy for a baby goat (kid)

kate
Old 11-01-2012, 07:09 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/9/2012 2:02 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
There is a movement to reform the breeding of GSDs, toward the
"old style" dogs with straight backs, higher set tails[0] and healthy hips.
I hope they make it. It's vital to influence the dog show judges and the
judging standard, so that traits detrimental to the dog are not rewarded in
the show ring.

A fellow cat breeder asked a breeder of Persian cats why they bred such
monsters (at one point some cats had trouble eating and breathing, they
still have problems with tear ducts) and the answer was "Because the judges
want them that way".

Change the breed standard and beat up on the judges, the rest of the
breeders will follow.

you got it Bjorn!

i loved the Alsatian GSD from the 50's

it hurts to look at today's standard

the breed clubs get together nationally and then go to the kennel clubs
with the standard they want to have approved

this is why you may find a 'standard' in one country isn't the same in
another country

of course, when everyone wants to go to Westminster or Crufts or......
there has to be some breed consistency between countries

i left a breed club because the 'President' had a move underfoot to
change the breed standard to.......... dogs that looked like hers!!! odd
how that happens........ i was told i should have stayed to be part of
the vocal opposition, but... i just didn't want to go there

too many politics!

kate
Old 11-01-2012, 07:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Ozgirl" wrote:

IBS is reactionary.

Not in humans, it's not. Maybe IBS means something different in cats,
but in humans IBS is at least partly, if not wholly, neurological.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Old 11-01-2012, 07:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

And WTF? You killfiled me. Please don't respond to me unless you know
WTF you are talking about.

I killfiled you in a.s.d.

And I stand by what I said.

You can KF by NG? I can't!

I use MT-NewsWatcher, which is a newsreader for Mac.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Old 11-01-2012, 08:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/11/2012 12:21 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
Actually, Evelyn, I hear that all the time. What makes it a nap instead
of the long sleep is that it's a baby, not an animal.

PP

whew, i was scared to say this

brb, gotta put the baby down!

??

kate

Old 11-01-2012, 08:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 1/11/2012 12:21 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
Actually, Evelyn, I hear that all the time. What makes it a nap instead
of the long sleep is that it's a baby, not an animal.

PP

whew, i was scared to say this

brb, gotta put the baby down!

??

kate

If I say I have to put my dog down, does anyone assume that it's off my lap
onto the floor? I don't think so. LOL

Cheri

Old 11-01-2012, 08:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

Ozgirl wrote:
[...]
Replace bigot with Susan and you have a perfect description of you. I
have shown ample proof in this thread that the phrase "put out of
misery" has another meaning other than being euthanised, and in American
dictionaries also. Not to mention the context I used it in. So get off
your high horse, again....

Well, I don't dispute the bigot bit, not the high horse bit, but I
think this episode can safely be chalked up to your opponent's sheer
stupidity.

--
Frank Slootweg
Old 11-01-2012, 08:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

the top 10 Google results I get are to kill..

anyhoo I was simply explaining a truth..that to most of the planet it means
to kill..take it for whatever you wish.

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote in message ...

"KROM" wrote in message
sorry ozgirl but "put it out of its misery" has always meant to kill it
here and I've heard it used in UK movies in the euthanize context.

put "what does put it out of its misery mean?" into a Google search bar
and see the result.

its very easy to take something a person says wrong..so lets be careful
when taking a idiom wrong in others because we will eventually do it
ourselves.

KROM

In my country an ass is not a butt. Should I take Americans literally
when they say ass? I accept what Americans use in that context, can it
be possible that Americans can accept different word/phrase usages from
others? Especially when the context was there, i.e. followed by a list
of possible ways to relieve said misery. Instead of a call of Ozgirl
suggests I kill my cat! How about, Ozgirl, are you saying I should kill
my cat? Nope, kangaroo trial instead. Tolerance for differences at its
best, but yet... the phrase means more than just to kill even in
America. Not my problem if people in here haven't experienced it. Not my
problem that people refuse to check it into properly. Google: "define:
put out of misery".

"http://www.writersevents.com/Words_Starting_with_P/put_ones_foot_down_put_something_together/put_someone_or_something_out_of_their_misery_defin ition.html
Idiom: put someone or something out of their misery
To ****relieve them***** from their physical suffering or their mental
anguish.
To kill (an animal that is in great pain)." (American)

"http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/put-sb-out-of-their-misery
to stop someone worrying, usually by giving them information that they
have been waiting for" (British)

"http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/put+someone+out+of+his+or+her+misery
Kill a wounded or suffering animal or person, as in When a horse breaks
a leg, there is nothing to do but put it out of its misery . [Late
1700s]

End someone's feeling of suspense, as in Tell them who won the
tournament; put them out of their misery . [c. 1920] *******Both usages
employ put out of in the sense of "extricate" or "free from."********"
(American)

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/put+out+of+misery
Put (one) out of (one's) misery
1. Euph. Fig. to kill someone as an act of mercy. Why doesn't the doctor
simply put her out of her misery? He took pills to put himself out of
his misery.
2. Fig. to end a suspenseful situation for someone. Please, put me out
of misery; what happened? I put her out of her misery and told her how
the movie ended.
See also: misery, out, put
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of ****************American Idioms*************
and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

Anyone still want to tell me the phase ONLY means to euthanise?

Old 11-01-2012, 09:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

"Ozlover" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:
[...]
Replace bigot with Susan and you have a perfect description of you. I
have shown ample proof in this thread that the phrase "put out of
misery" has another meaning other than being euthanised, and in American
dictionaries also. Not to mention the context I used it in. So get off
your high horse, again....

Well, I don't dispute the bigot bit, not the high horse bit, but I
think this episode can safely be chalked up to your opponent's sheer
stupidity.

--
Frank Slootweg

This is where I feel blessed in not lurking often enough to know what this
latest hoo ha is about....

Henry.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

you know I luv ya but you can see its a slippery slope to go nuts over "wah
lah" and stand firm when we all say its meaningless here but defend your put
of of its misery when it means something bad here?

as Wendy said dont let your hatred of Susan take you off the rails..

I say we from now on state if something has a different meaning to people
and try to respect that.

to me wah lah is perfectly fine but I would avoid saying it if it offends
you..simple as that

it is a fact that if you told a person her to put their injured animal out
of its misery you'd get a VERY negative reaction..or worse their kid or
loved one.

"Oh your grandmas sick?..put her out of her misery"...

that would be bad

imagine if "bright faced" here was a compliment and a insult there and
people kept saying what a bright faced family you have

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote in message ...

"Evelyn" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:45:59 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

"BlueBrooke" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:34:31 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

Anyone still want to tell me the phase ONLY means to euthanise?

As applied to animals? Yes.

And the proof of that statement is where?

That is the only way I have ever heard it used...... in the USA. I
grant you that it might be used differently where you are from, but
here, that is the only way it would be interpreted. And by the way,
you know I have no part in this argument, but I felt I should explain
the usage here in the USA.

Evelyn

Thank you and yes I do understand that you and others might have only
had experience with that but I have explained that was not my intent and
yet it isn't good enough. If I was nasty enough to suggest someone put
their pet down I wouldn't back away from my views. The statement would
still stand. And I definitely wouldn't have suggested ways and means to
relieve the pet's misery or discomfort.