Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favourite Recipes

ok, you have all posted them before, but people come and go and get
filtered out

so, let's start completely NEW threads (i have other threads set to
'mark all as read' now)

this puts some pressure on me, i have maybe 3 hours spare before surgery

anyone want the not LOW carb salmon souffle recipe? (hey, you don't have
to add carbs, just veggies) grin

kate
--
Never argue with IDIOTS, they only drag you down to their level and beat
you up with experience. Dedicated to JB 1/2/12.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Yeah... What surgery?

Will, T2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> ok, you have all posted them before, but people come and go and get
> filtered out
>
> so, let's start completely NEW threads (i have other threads set to
> 'mark all as read' now)
>
> this puts some pressure on me, i have maybe 3 hours spare before
> surgery
>
> anyone want the not LOW carb salmon souffle recipe? (hey, you don't
> have to add carbs, just veggies) grin
>
> kate

Sure I like salmon in any way

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/3/2012 10:43 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 1/3/2012 9:02 PM, wrote:
>>> Yeah... What surgery?
>>>
>>> Will, T2

>> eh, #10
>>
>> i've avoided them for almost 40 years now
>>
>> the Dr's all have a new diagnosis and 'much better tools'
>>
>> i'm so thrilled (not) but i'm sure that i might have a better chance
>> than i did the first time thru with the improved techniques
>>
>> and hey, i DID manage to survive that first time thru (the ENT quit
>> and moved to plastic surgery oh, 6 months after my first op, leaving
>> me to his partner)
>>
>> short story, nasal tumours

> I had an enormous one in my nostril when my eldest two kids were young -
> toddlers. I was early 20's and this thing grew in a week to block my
> nose! It had a root of about half an inch and the arsehole ENT in
> Macquarie Street (Harley Street etc equivalent) cut it out with no
> anesthetic. I screamed blue murder. Then proceeded to cauterise it
> dozens of time.

KILL KENNY!!!!!!!!!!

sure wish he knew what he did to you....... would be 'nice' to 'share
the experience' with him first hand! (growl)

there is NO WAY you will touch my nasal passages while i'm awake.......
guess i was fortunate, i was going to a tonsilectomy and the 'thing' was
noticed then

still didn't stop me from almost 'bleeding out' and needing 3 units of
plasma after they ran out of A+ blood........ great, that's more blood
than my whole body needs! (not so great!)

the ENT couldn't cauterise anything fast enough and the synthetic
'caines don't stem blood flow for me.......... ya, i can't feel, thanks,
but i'm gonna bleed out on ya! (no, things have changed significantly!)

kate

--
Never argue with IDIOTS, they only drag you down to their level and beat
you up with experience. Dedicated to JB 1/2/12.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> eh, #10
>>>
>>> i've avoided them for almost 40 years now
>>>
>>> the Dr's all have a new diagnosis and 'much better tools'
>>>
>>> i'm so thrilled (not) but i'm sure that i might have a better chance
>>> than i did the first time thru with the improved techniques
>>>
>>> and hey, i DID manage to survive that first time thru (the ENT quit
>>> and moved to plastic surgery oh, 6 months after my first op, leaving
>>> me to his partner)
>>>
>>> short story, nasal tumours

>> I had an enormous one in my nostril when my eldest two kids were
>> young - toddlers. I was early 20's and this thing grew in a week to
>> block my nose! It had a root of about half an inch and the arsehole
>> ENT in Macquarie Street (Harley Street etc equivalent) cut it out
>> with no anesthetic. I screamed blue murder. Then proceeded to
>> cauterise it dozens of time.

> I hope you gave him "blue" somethings with a good grab and twist. That
> sounds ghastly.

He abused me because he had kids in the waiting room. I can't be
responsible for his callous treatment. On another note he was on the
phone arranging a rendezvous with a woman called Eve, talking all lovey
dovey and telling her to come up to his office after closing time. At
the time he was married to one of Aus's favourite singers and female
soap stars -
http://acountrypractice.com/Cast/Bios/ldesmond.html So I
hated him more...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 1/3/2012 10:43 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> eh, #10
>>>
>>> i've avoided them for almost 40 years now
>>>
>>> the Dr's all have a new diagnosis and 'much better tools'
>>>
>>> i'm so thrilled (not) but i'm sure that i might have a better chance
>>> than i did the first time thru with the improved techniques
>>>
>>> and hey, i DID manage to survive that first time thru (the ENT quit
>>> and moved to plastic surgery oh, 6 months after my first op, leaving
>>> me to his partner)
>>>
>>> short story, nasal tumours

>> I had an enormous one in my nostril when my eldest two kids were
>> young -
>> toddlers. I was early 20's and this thing grew in a week to block my
>> nose! It had a root of about half an inch and the arsehole ENT in
>> Macquarie Street (Harley Street etc equivalent) cut it out with no
>> anesthetic. I screamed blue murder. Then proceeded to cauterise it
>> dozens of time.
>>

> KILL KENNY!!!!!!!!!!
>
> sure wish he knew what he did to you....... would be 'nice' to 'share
> the experience' with him first hand! (growl)
>
> there is NO WAY you will touch my nasal passages while i'm
> awake....... guess i was fortunate, i was going to a tonsilectomy and
> the 'thing' was noticed then

The nasal passages are incredibly sensitive.

> still didn't stop me from almost 'bleeding out' and needing 3 units of
> plasma after they ran out of A+ blood........ great, that's more blood
> than my whole body needs! (not so great!)

I was a bleeder too after tonsilectomy.

> the ENT couldn't cauterise anything fast enough and the synthetic
> 'caines don't stem blood flow for me.......... ya, i can't feel,
> thanks, but i'm gonna bleed out on ya! (no, things have changed
> significantly!)

My memories are a bit vague, I was 3. I remember crying as they wheeled
me to surgery, calling Keefy first! Over and over and over, Keith is my
brother and they were doing both of us at the same time, lol. I remember
kiddy cartoon pics on the walls of the outer surgery part. I remember
the rubber mask (which gave me a phobia for many many years) and the
ether. I remember hiding under the blankies when they brought the meds
around and remember putting my icecream in the paper "bin" at the back
of the bed and wondering why it melted.... I remember being rushed
into a small cubicle (where I was taken for the bleeding episode). The
treatment for it I don't remember so it must not have been traumatic.
Most of my earlier memories are for traumatic moments lol. The soldier
crabs, trying to yell to my mum when I had croup, falling backwards of a
wall and smacking my head, the tonsil thing...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/3/2012 11:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> Most of my earlier memories are for traumatic moments lol. The soldier
> crabs, trying to yell to my mum when I had croup, falling backwards of a
> wall and smacking my head, the tonsil thing...

ya, they are indelible, aren't they?

along with the 36 feet of gauze shoved up your nose!!!!!!!!!!!

sigh

--
Never argue with IDIOTS, they only drag you down to their level and beat
you up with experience. Dedicated to JB 1/2/12.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/3/2012 11:29 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
> falling backwards of a
> wall and smacking my head

i did that
felt really sick
went into the house and went down for a good sleep, too scared to tell
mom what had happened
that could have had really BAD consequences
TG or oh well, not sure which

--
Never argue with IDIOTS, they only drag you down to their level and beat
you up with experience. Dedicated to JB 1/2/12.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

> > ok, you have all posted them before, but people come and go and get
> > filtered out
> >
> > so, let's start completely NEW threads (i have other threads set to
> > 'mark all as read' now)
> >
> > this puts some pressure on me, i have maybe 3 hours spare before
> > surgery
> >
> > anyone want the not LOW carb salmon souffle recipe? (hey, you don't
> > have to add carbs, just veggies) grin
> >
> > kate

> Sure I like salmon in any way

Jun just found whole salmon at $4.99(US) a pound. I asked her to make some
like Thai Pla Doog Pad Ped, which is Crisp-fried catfish in a hot curry
sauce. Maybe make some pan-fried fillets, smoked or gravlax, too.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>> > ok, you have all posted them before, but people come and go and get
>> > filtered out
>> >
>> > so, let's start completely NEW threads (i have other threads set to
>> > 'mark all as read' now)
>> >
>> > this puts some pressure on me, i have maybe 3 hours spare before
>> > surgery
>> >
>> > anyone want the not LOW carb salmon souffle recipe? (hey, you don't
>> > have to add carbs, just veggies) grin
>> >
>> > kate

>> Sure I like salmon in any way

> Jun just found whole salmon at $4.99(US) a pound. I asked her to make
> some
> like Thai Pla Doog Pad Ped, which is Crisp-fried catfish in a hot
> curry
> sauce. Maybe make some pan-fried fillets, smoked or gravlax, too.

What an incredible price! Salmon here is at least $24 per kg, good stuff
over $30.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 1/3/2012 11:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> Most of my earlier memories are for traumatic moments lol. The
>> soldier
>> crabs, trying to yell to my mum when I had croup, falling backwards
>> of a
>> wall and smacking my head, the tonsil thing...

> ya, they are indelible, aren't they?
>
> along with the 36 feet of gauze shoved up your nose!!!!!!!!!!!

At least. And I felt every inch of it coming out. I was quite shocked at
just home much was there. I have dreams regularly where I am pulling
reams of stuff like dental floss out of my mouth. I wonder now if the
nose gauze is the reason for the dreams, lol.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ouch! I had a nasal cauterization one time for a severe nosebleed.... Not
fun. All I got was a friendly warning, "This might hurt a little."

Will, T2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/4/2012 3:03 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

>>> Sure I like salmon in any way

>> Jun just found whole salmon at $4.99(US) a pound. I asked her to make
>> some
>> like Thai Pla Doog Pad Ped, which is Crisp-fried catfish in a hot curry
>> sauce. Maybe make some pan-fried fillets, smoked or gravlax, too.

> What an incredible price! Salmon here is at least $24 per kg, good stuff
> over $30.

$15 to $18 per kg here (for steaks, not the whole salmon)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> >> [ . . . . ]
> >> Sure I like salmon in any way

> > Jun just found whole salmon at $4.99(US) a pound. I asked her to make
> > some
> > like Thai Pla Doog Pad Ped, which is Crisp-fried catfish in a hot
> > curry
> > sauce. Maybe make some pan-fried fillets, smoked or gravlax, too.

> What an incredible price! Salmon here is at least $24 per kg, good stuff
> over $30.

Probably the same here, Jan. This was in an advertisement for a local
mexican supermercado. I suspect they're farmed Pacifics. Jun is going to
check for better salmon at a seafood market.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> >
>> > Jun just found whole salmon at $4.99(US) a pound. I asked her to
>> > make
>> > some
>> > like Thai Pla Doog Pad Ped, which is Crisp-fried catfish in a hot
>> > curry
>> > sauce. Maybe make some pan-fried fillets, smoked or gravlax, too.

>> What an incredible price! Salmon here is at least $24 per kg, good
>> stuff
>> over $30.

> Probably the same here, Jan. This was in an advertisement for a local
> mexican supermercado. I suspect they're farmed Pacifics. Jun is going
> check for better salmon at a seafood market.

At that price I would be buying some and using it to check the quality.
Surprisingly some good stuff comes at a low price from time to time. $5
per kg chicken breasts I got last week were 100% better than the $11
ones I bought the week before.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> >> What an incredible price! Salmon here is at least $24 per kg, good
> >> stuff
> >> over $30.

> > Probably the same here, Jan. This was in an advertisement for a local
> > mexican supermercado. I suspect they're farmed Pacifics. Jun is going
> > check for better salmon at a seafood market.

> At that price I would be buying some and using it to check the quality.
> Surprisingly some good stuff comes at a low price from time to time. $5
> per kg chicken breasts I got last week were 100% better than the $11
> ones I bought the week before.

Well, Jun bought some, but I'll have it tomorrow, as I opted to finish the
leftover beef marrow bones and pork soup tonight.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:

>> > Probably the same here, Jan. This was in an advertisement for a
>> > local
>> > mexican supermercado. I suspect they're farmed Pacifics. Jun is
>> > going
>> > check for better salmon at a seafood market.

>> At that price I would be buying some and using it to check the
>> quality.
>> Surprisingly some good stuff comes at a low price from time to time.
>> $5
>> per kg chicken breasts I got last week were 100% better than the $11
>> ones I bought the week before.

> Well, Jun bought some, but I'll have it tomorrow, as I opted to finish
> the
> leftover beef marrow bones and pork soup tonight.

If she uses it for Thai Pla Doog Pad Ped let us know how it turns out.
I'd like the recipe regardless, when you have time.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> >> At that price I would be buying some and using it to check the
> >> quality.
> >> Surprisingly some good stuff comes at a low price from time to time.
> >> $5
> >> per kg chicken breasts I got last week were 100% better than the $11
> >> ones I bought the week before.

> > Well, Jun bought some, but I'll have it tomorrow, as I opted to finish
> > the
> > leftover beef marrow bones and pork soup tonight.

> If she uses it for Thai Pla Doog Pad Ped let us know how it turns out.
> I'd like the recipe regardless, when you have time.

She's already told me that the bones are too big, so if she tried to crisp
them the skin and flesh of the fish would burn. So, she'll have to remove
the bones and fry them separately.

Meanwhile, here's the recipe for the curry sauce:

Nam Prik Gang Ped

9 dried little red Thai chiles (prik kee noo)
2 pieces galanga
2 pieces Kaffir lime (makruet) rind
1/4 cup warm water

1 stalk lemongrass, bottom 6" (15 cm) only

2 Tbs finely chopped garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 tsp shrimp paste
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander root

1. Remove the stems and seeds from the chiles. Soak the chiles, galanga and
Kaffir lime rind in the warm water for at least 15 minutes. Drain and
reserve the soaking water.

2. Chop the chiles, galanga, Kaffir lime rind and lemongrass finely.

3. Combine all ingredients and pound to a smooth paste in a mortar and
pestle or in a blender (If you use a blender, you may need to add a little
of that reserved soaking water to aid in grinding). Discard unused soaking
water.

Lasts 2 weeks in the fridge, 6 months in the freezer. Use it wherever you'd
like some flavorful heat!

You'll need three times this amount for 1 kg of fish.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> Nam Prik Gang Ped
>
> 9 dried little red Thai chiles (prik kee noo)
> 2 pieces galanga
> 2 pieces Kaffir lime (makruet) rind
> 1/4 cup warm water
>
> 1 stalk lemongrass, bottom 6" (15 cm) only
>
> 2 Tbs finely chopped garlic
> 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
> 1 tsp shrimp paste
> 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander root
>
> 1. Remove the stems and seeds from the chiles. Soak the chiles,
> galanga and
> Kaffir lime rind in the warm water for at least 15 minutes. Drain and
> reserve the soaking water.
>
> 2. Chop the chiles, galanga, Kaffir lime rind and lemongrass finely.
>
> 3. Combine all ingredients and pound to a smooth paste in a mortar and
> pestle or in a blender (If you use a blender, you may need to add a
> little
> of that reserved soaking water to aid in grinding). Discard unused
> soaking
> water.
>
> Lasts 2 weeks in the fridge, 6 months in the freezer. Use it wherever
> you'd
> like some flavorful heat!
>
> You'll need three times this amount for 1 kg of fish.

Thanks Nick, what could be a substitute for yellow onion?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > Nam Prik Gang Ped
> >
> > 9 dried little red Thai chiles (prik kee noo)
> > 2 pieces galanga
> > 2 pieces Kaffir lime (makruet) rind
> > 1/4 cup warm water
> >
> > 1 stalk lemongrass, bottom 6" (15 cm) only
> >
> > 2 Tbs finely chopped garlic
> > 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
> > 1 tsp shrimp paste
> > 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander root
> >
> > 1. Remove the stems and seeds from the chiles. Soak the chiles,
> > galanga and
> > Kaffir lime rind in the warm water for at least 15 minutes. Drain and
> > reserve the soaking water.
> >
> > 2. Chop the chiles, galanga, Kaffir lime rind and lemongrass finely.
> >
> > 3. Combine all ingredients and pound to a smooth paste in a mortar and
> > pestle or in a blender (If you use a blender, you may need to add a
> > little
> > of that reserved soaking water to aid in grinding). Discard unused
> > soaking
> > water.
> >
> > Lasts 2 weeks in the fridge, 6 months in the freezer. Use it wherever
> > you'd
> > like some flavorful heat!
> >
> > You'll need three times this amount for 1 kg of fish.
> >

> Thanks Nick, what could be a substitute for yellow onion?

Strong onion flavor! Brown onion? White onions? Red? Not Walla wallas or
Vidalias, I wouldn't think!

When buying onions, go for ones that feel heavy in your hand and firm.
Avoid soft onions or ones that have a sharp oniony odor before peeling.
These are indications that the onion is old. Except for sweet onions, all
these onions can be stored for several weeks in a cool, dark pantry or
cupboard.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

>> > Nam Prik Gang Ped
>> >
>> > 9 dried little red Thai chiles (prik kee noo)
>> > 2 pieces galanga
>> > 2 pieces Kaffir lime (makruet) rind
>> > 1/4 cup warm water
>> >
>> > 1 stalk lemongrass, bottom 6" (15 cm) only
>> >
>> > 2 Tbs finely chopped garlic
>> > 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
>> > 1 tsp shrimp paste
>> > 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander root
>> >
>> > 1. Remove the stems and seeds from the chiles. Soak the chiles,
>> > galanga and
>> > Kaffir lime rind in the warm water for at least 15 minutes. Drain
>> > and
>> > reserve the soaking water.
>> >
>> > 2. Chop the chiles, galanga, Kaffir lime rind and lemongrass
>> > finely.
>> >
>> > 3. Combine all ingredients and pound to a smooth paste in a mortar
>> > and
>> > pestle or in a blender (If you use a blender, you may need to add a
>> > little
>> > of that reserved soaking water to aid in grinding). Discard unused
>> > soaking
>> > water.
>> >
>> > Lasts 2 weeks in the fridge, 6 months in the freezer. Use it
>> > wherever
>> > you'd
>> > like some flavorful heat!
>> >
>> > You'll need three times this amount for 1 kg of fish.
>> >

>> Thanks Nick, what could be a substitute for yellow onion?

> Strong onion flavor! Brown onion? White onions? Red? Not Walla wallas
> or
> Vidalias, I wouldn't think!
>
> When buying onions, go for ones that feel heavy in your hand and firm.
> Avoid soft onions or ones that have a sharp oniony odor before
> peeling.
> These are indications that the onion is old. Except for sweet onions,
> all
> these onions can be stored for several weeks in a cool, dark pantry or

I think that would be brown. We don't have Walla Wallas or Vidalias that
I have ever heard of.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> >> Thanks Nick, what could be a substitute for yellow onion?

> > Strong onion flavor! Brown onion? White onions? Red? Not Walla wallas
> > or Vidalias, I wouldn't think!
> >
> > When buying onions, go for ones that feel heavy in your hand and firm.
> > Avoid soft onions or ones that have a sharp oniony odor before
> > peeling.
> > These are indications that the onion is old. Except for sweet onions,
> > all
> > these onions can be stored for several weeks in a cool, dark pantry or

> I think that would be brown. We don't have Walla Wallas or Vidalias that
> I have ever heard of.

They're both sweet onions, which is why I advised against them for this
recipe.