Old 24-12-2011, 07:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you have a Christmas Menu?

On 12/24/2011 7:59 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i guess i wasn't here then a reprise of this story would be appreciated,
Lee, who needs a laugh

Once upon a time, many years ago...... Hubby suddenly collapsed in
pain, writing on the floor. This was a RED ALERT moment for me and i
went into full adrenaline fight/flight mode.

I assisted hubby out of the house to the car and into the car (now, he
weighs 1/3 more than i do and the car is down a hill on the street, so
i'm also manouvering him into a seat 2 feet lower than where i'm
standing (fortunately he's ? 8 inches or so taller than i am). He's
moaning and groaning and i'm panicing. I get the kidlet over to the
neighbours house so i don't have to worry about him and i dash back to
the car to take hubby to hospital.

He moans and writhes and says 'slower!'. I proceed VERY slowly to the
first red light and hubby screams 'no, go home!'

Now my fight flight is going nuts, the adrenaline is rushing and i'm SCARED.

We get back to the house whereupon i attempt to get hubby out of the car
(see the height problem i had). In tears, hubby says 'leave me here and
go call an ambulance.'

I'm spinning, literally spinning. I call 911 asking for an ambulance
and i go outside to make sure hubby is ok. Meanwhile, the police were
calling the house to check, and they are getting no answer (did i bring
the cordless with me?? heck no! i'm in full panic now).

So, the ambulance arrives and takes over for me TG!!! This is where i
realize i have that 'fear smell' and that i should best clean up before
i head to the ER following the ambulance. I tell the attendants & hubby
that i need to zip into the house and do a quick change and i'll be
right behind the ambulance to meet him at the hospital.

so, back into the house, strip for a quick sponge bath and change of
top............ and i hear someone at the door...... so, i'm trying to
clean my armpits while i walk out of the bathroom to get my bath robe
left in my bedroom........ the police didn't like the 4.3 second wait,
so they entered the house immediately

it was with my arm in the air that i met them as i opened the bathroom
door to get my bath robe

i don't know who was redder...... the cop, me, or everyone in chat who
was killing themselves laughing at my incident

i managed to appear 'somewhat composed' in the ER (I hope!)

but better...... is the night the Kelly spent screwing around all night
long

lol
kate

Old 24-12-2011, 08:11 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/22/2011 12:25 PM, Robert Miles wrote:
On 12/22/2011 1:07 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
On 12/22/2011 10:33 AM, Robert Miles wrote:
snip
A stroke caused this problem, and also often causes me problems
with getting up from any chair that doesn't have a suitable right
arm. Therefore, stools are out.

The above ground gardening sounds more practical if I can get
someone to build a suitable raised bed. However, it looks like
I'll have to wait at least a few months for construction fences
to be removed so I can reach a suitable place for such raised
beds.

Robert Miles

Mom and Dad found they made one mistake on their raised gardens

they put all of them at the same height, not figuring in the height of
the harvest

this meant the peas were a bit too high, the tomatoes were just right
and the carrots and onions a bit too low

hubby has been putting in different levels of raised beds (most is still
done at ground level, this is a long term project)

Mom is an OT, i'll ask her if she knows of any 'tricks' for assistance
in getting up/down

kate

You might make sure that she knows that they need to be usable with
only one hand that will do much. I can currently get down, if how
hard doesn't matter. Getting back up now often takes help from two
people, not just one.

Robert Miles

oh my, Robert

i just spoke to Mom for 45 minutes, let me do the 'concise'

1. A 2 prong approach is needed. Physio Therapy to help you strengthen
the needed muscles to compensate where need be. Occupational Therapy
for work with Physio for ? trapeze lift devices to assist you, or a
wheel chair so you have brakes and can move from one garden bed to the
next (and this is where a good 30 min describing assistance devices
occurred)

2. Many hospice facilities have raised gardens for their patients.
Check the designs they have, ask the folks using the gardens what they
think and ask the folk that work there what improvements/changes they
would like to see.

3. I got a huge caution that any comments without being able to
physically assess the needs that have to be addressed is foolish (I
think you speak well for yourself, it's ok! )

sorry i can't be more help

kate
Old 25-12-2011, 01:19 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
[...]

The lick and a spit shower

Old 25-12-2011, 04:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/24/2011 6:19 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
[...]

yup, no time, need to clean up a bit to be more presentable

and then hubby sent me home from ER! LOL

upon which we chatted for a while longer, in gales of laughter

i could barely type i was laughing so hard

kate

Old 25-12-2011, 06:57 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/25/2011 1:25 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
oh my, sounds much like my life, LOL, Lee

it reminded me of an "I Love Lucy" comedy sketch

if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at, right?

kate
Old 27-12-2011, 04:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/24/2011 2:11 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
[...]

The therapies were tried years ago. Didn't work enough to continue.

What's a trapeze lift device?

I recovered from the stroke enough to walk slowly with a 4-point cane,
but not enough to carry much of anything.

2. Many hospice facilities have raised gardens for their patients. Check
the designs they have, ask the folks using the gardens what they think
and ask the folk that work there what improvements/changes they would
like to see.

The assisted living place here has a few raised flower beds, and little
room for more beds. I find it hard to get transportation to any other
similar places.

Old 27-12-2011, 09:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/26/2011 9:42 PM, Robert Miles wrote:
On 12/24/2011 2:11 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:

1. A 2 prong approach is needed. Physio Therapy to help you strengthen
the needed muscles to compensate where need be. Occupational Therapy for
work with Physio for ? trapeze lift devices to assist you, or a wheel
chair so you have brakes and can move from one garden bed to the next
(and this is where a good 30 min describing assistance devices occurred)

The therapies were tried years ago. Didn't work enough to continue.

What's a trapeze lift device?

sigh, sorry therapy didn't work for you

a trapeze lift device is a bar, hung from something very sturdy,
allowing you to grab the bar to assist in standing....

I recovered from the stroke enough to walk slowly with a 4-point cane,
but not enough to carry much of anything.

ok, so carry/lift is out of the question

2. Many hospice facilities have raised gardens for their patients. Check
the designs they have, ask the folks using the gardens what they think
and ask the folk that work there what improvements/changes they would
like to see.

The assisted living place here has a few raised flower beds, and little
room for more beds. I find it hard to get transportation to any other
similar places.

Those planter boxes Wendy spoke of are looking better and better.....

Robert Miles

Old 29-12-2011, 10:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 28/12/2011 7:33 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
[...]

I just harvested my huge crop of tomatoes grown in a couple of those
hanging basket things well maybe huge is a slight exaggeration total of
3 golf ball size ones :-) Hoping for more success with the strawberries
this winter.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Old 29-12-2011, 08:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/29/2011 3:32 AM, RodS wrote:
I just harvested my huge crop of tomatoes grown in a couple of those
hanging basket things well maybe huge is a slight exaggeration total of
3 golf ball size ones :-) Hoping for more success with the strawberries
this winter.

priceless!

tomato crops vary widely for us

some years, we do nothing and get 60 lbs from 4 bushes....... other
years we are 'perfect' gardeners and the weather doesn't cooperate and
we get 15 tomatoes (not lbs) LOL

we now have raised gardens against the concrete on the S side of the
house.......this increases the soil temp for the tomato roots and
increases production as well

Mom is in an apartment now, so she does the hanging tomato plants and
gets a bounty of fruit from those plants

next year will be better, i'm sure

kate

Christmas menu? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 519 20-12-2014 11:46 PM
our christmas menu Storrmmee Barbecue 2 25-12-2011 08:55 AM
Got our Christmas menu Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 9 21-12-2010 08:04 AM
What is your Christmas morning menu? mom0f4boys General Cooking 60 26-12-2006 06:15 PM
Christmas menu... Omelet General Cooking 2 15-12-2006 11:08 PM