Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What would you do?

I thought I had this all planned out but given tonight's hypo now I am not
sure.

One of my relatives is celebrating a birthday on Saturday. This person has
picked a chain seafood restaurant and the meal will be at 3:30. This person
had their birthday there last year during the week at a time we could not
make. So Angela and I just grabbed a quick meal at Taco Time and then went
to my parent's house for presents and cake. Well they had cake. We did
not.

This year we can do that time but... That is not a time we normally eat. I
do not normally eat lunch and it is IMO too early for dinner. The reason
this time was picked is that the birthday person and their SO eat only one
meal a day. And it is as early as possible after the SO gets off work.
That's another matter, I know.

To complicate matters, there isn't much we can eat there. They do have a
website that lists the allergens. And pretty much everything has wheat in
it. Or egg. And I can't have egg! I am also allergic to oysters. And we
don't eat seafood. The only non-seafood things listed on the menu are not
at all safe for us to eat. There are shrimp nachos listed. However the
chips are fried in a communal fryer so it says they are subject to cross
contamination. If we did order those we would have to order them without
the shrimp. So most likely we would be paying for something we aren't
getting. The shrimp. They may or may not be able to do a salad we can eat.
I don't know. We are also not really supposed to have dairy on that day due
to the way our rotation diet works.

So... The options would be... Eat breakfast somewhat late in the day and
hope I don't get a hypo between then and 3:30. Eat half an order of nachos
(splitting it with Angela) and maybe a salad and hope that can get me
through to a late dinner elsewhere.

Or just skip the meal. But... If we skip the meal that will for sure put
me at risk of another hypo. Because by the time they are doing their cake
and the presents, it will be my normal dinner time.

Either way I think I will be screwed. If I eat the nachos, I could still
have a hypo or I could go high. If I don't eat them, I risk a hypo.

I suppose another option would be that we just bring our own dinner and eat
it while they are doing cake, but... That just seems really too weird and I
haven't a clue what I could bring.

Sometimes I just wish I had a normal family, but I digress.

I am leaning towards eating the nachos, hoping they don't sicken us and
hoping I don't go too high or have a hypo. What would you do?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/2/2011 3:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I thought I had this all planned out but given tonight's hypo now I am not
> sure.
>
> One of my relatives is celebrating a birthday on Saturday. This person has
> picked a chain seafood restaurant and the meal will be at 3:30. This person
> had their birthday there last year during the week at a time we could not
> make. So Angela and I just grabbed a quick meal at Taco Time and then went
> to my parent's house for presents and cake. Well they had cake. We did
> not.
>
> This year we can do that time but... That is not a time we normally eat. I
> do not normally eat lunch and it is IMO too early for dinner. The reason
> this time was picked is that the birthday person and their SO eat only one
> meal a day. And it is as early as possible after the SO gets off work.
> That's another matter, I know.
>
> To complicate matters, there isn't much we can eat there. They do have a
> website that lists the allergens. And pretty much everything has wheat in
> it. Or egg. And I can't have egg! I am also allergic to oysters. And we
> don't eat seafood. The only non-seafood things listed on the menu are not
> at all safe for us to eat. There are shrimp nachos listed. However the
> chips are fried in a communal fryer so it says they are subject to cross
> contamination. If we did order those we would have to order them without
> the shrimp. So most likely we would be paying for something we aren't
> getting. The shrimp. They may or may not be able to do a salad we can eat.
> I don't know. We are also not really supposed to have dairy on that day due
> to the way our rotation diet works.
>
> So... The options would be... Eat breakfast somewhat late in the day and
> hope I don't get a hypo between then and 3:30. Eat half an order of nachos
> (splitting it with Angela) and maybe a salad and hope that can get me
> through to a late dinner elsewhere.
>
> Or just skip the meal. But... If we skip the meal that will for sure put
> me at risk of another hypo. Because by the time they are doing their cake
> and the presents, it will be my normal dinner time.
>
> Either way I think I will be screwed. If I eat the nachos, I could still
> have a hypo or I could go high. If I don't eat them, I risk a hypo.
>
> I suppose another option would be that we just bring our own dinner and eat
> it while they are doing cake, but... That just seems really too weird and I
> haven't a clue what I could bring.
>
> Sometimes I just wish I had a normal family, but I digress.
>
> I am leaning towards eating the nachos, hoping they don't sicken us and
> hoping I don't go too high or have a hypo. What would you do?

the dietician told me to have a snack that suited me in a situation like
this

have the snack before you leave home....... attend the meal and if you
can have a salad, great...... if not, enjoy your tea or coffee, it's
your company at the meal that is desired

don't go on about why/what you can't eat, smile and say 'i'm very happy
with my salad, thank you'

and......... have fun!

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> I thought I had this all planned out but given tonight's hypo now I am not
> sure.
>
> One of my relatives is celebrating a birthday on Saturday. This person has
> picked a chain seafood restaurant and the meal will be at 3:30. This person
> had their birthday there last year during the week at a time we could not
> make. So Angela and I just grabbed a quick meal at Taco Time and then went
> to my parent's house for presents and cake. Well they had cake. We did
> not.

ah, yet another OT request for advice by Julie that she will find any number of
ways to say won't work
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> have a hypo or I could go high. If I don't eat them, I risk a hypo.
>>
>> I suppose another option would be that we just bring our own dinner and
>> eat
>> it while they are doing cake, but... That just seems really too weird
>> and I
>> haven't a clue what I could bring.
>>
>> Sometimes I just wish I had a normal family, but I digress.
>>
>> I am leaning towards eating the nachos, hoping they don't sicken us and
>> hoping I don't go too high or have a hypo. What would you do?
>>

> the dietician told me to have a snack that suited me in a situation like
> this
>
> have the snack before you leave home....... attend the meal and if you can
> have a salad, great...... if not, enjoy your tea or coffee, it's your
> company at the meal that is desired
>
> don't go on about why/what you can't eat, smile and say 'i'm very happy

I don't drink coffee or tea and we probably can not just have a drink. Most
restaurants like this have a minimum order. Not really sure about this
place because I have never eaten there before. That is why I thought we
could order the nachos minus the shrimp.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" > wrote in message
> On 3/11/2011 4:32 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>> In >, "Julie
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I thought I had this all planned out but given tonight's hypo now I am
>>> not
>>> sure.
>>>
>>> One of my relatives is celebrating a birthday on Saturday. This person
>>> has
>>> picked a chain seafood restaurant and the meal will be at 3:30. This
>>> person
>>> had their birthday there last year during the week at a time we could
>>> not
>>> make. So Angela and I just grabbed a quick meal at Taco Time and then
>>> went
>>> to my parent's house for presents and cake. Well they had cake. We did
>>> not.

>> ah, yet another OT request for advice by Julie that she will find any
>> number of
>> ways to say won't work

> Shows a paucity in the regular decision process all to often
> "Ugly American anyone ?"

I don't know what your nationality is but you are an example of an ugly one!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "atec77" > wrote in message
> > On 3/11/2011 4:32 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> >> In >, "Julie

> >> ah, yet another OT request for advice by Julie that she will find any
> >> number of ways to say won't work

> > Shows a paucity in the regular decision process all to often
> > "Ugly American anyone ?"
> >

> I don't know what your nationality is but you are an example of an ugly one!

ooh, julie throws a hissy fit
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" > wrote in message
> On 3/11/2011 3:09 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

>>> I don't know what your nationality is but you are an example of an ugly
>>> one!

>> ooh, julie throws a hissy fit

> I believe she doesn't know
> and the proof is compounded in her daily ugly posts

And my post was ugly...how?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/2/2011 3:09 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> I am leaning towards eating the nachos, hoping they don't sicken us and
>>> hoping I don't go too high or have a hypo. What would you do?
>>>

>> the dietician told me to have a snack that suited me in a situation like
>> this
>>
>> have the snack before you leave home....... attend the meal and if you can
>> have a salad, great...... if not, enjoy your tea or coffee, it's your
>> company at the meal that is desired
>>
>> don't go on about why/what you can't eat, smile and say 'i'm very happy
>> with my salad, thank you'
>>
>> and......... have fun!

> I don't drink coffee or tea and we probably can not just have a drink. Most
> restaurants like this have a minimum order. Not really sure about this
> place because I have never eaten there before. That is why I thought we
> could order the nachos minus the shrimp.

oh, i'm so sorry that i wasn't able to help you

guess you are just going to have to say 'sorry i can't make it', then
there will be no more problems for you

i'm sure your family will somehow be terribly offended by you, but i
doubt you can avoid that reaction as you can't find a way to attend

i wish you all the best, and i apologise for even spending the time to
try to assist you

take care and keep well

bye!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 11/2/2011 3:09 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> the dietician told me to have a snack that suited me in a situation like
>>> this
>>>
>>> have the snack before you leave home....... attend the meal and if you
>>> can
>>> have a salad, great...... if not, enjoy your tea or coffee, it's your
>>> company at the meal that is desired
>>>
>>> don't go on about why/what you can't eat, smile and say 'i'm very happy
>>> with my salad, thank you'
>>>
>>> and......... have fun!

>> I don't drink coffee or tea and we probably can not just have a drink.
>> Most
>> restaurants like this have a minimum order. Not really sure about this
>> place because I have never eaten there before. That is why I thought we
>> could order the nachos minus the shrimp.
>>

> oh, i'm so sorry that i wasn't able to help you
>
> guess you are just going to have to say 'sorry i can't make it', then
> there will be no more problems for you
>
> i'm sure your family will somehow be terribly offended by you, but i doubt
> you can avoid that reaction as you can't find a way to attend
>
> i wish you all the best, and i apologise for even spending the time to try
> to assist you
>
> take care and keep well
>
> bye!

I just can't see how eating prior to that is going to help. The problem is
going to come at dinner time because I can not eat then. Eating even
earlier than 3:30 really won't help with that problem at all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> i wish you all the best, and i apologise for even spending the time to try
> to assist you
>
> take care and keep well
>
> bye!

Beautifully stated.

pavane

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, atec77 > wrote:

> On 3/11/2011 3:09 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

> >> I don't know what your nationality is but you are an example of an ugly
> >> one!

> > ooh, julie throws a hissy fit

> I believe she doesn't know
> and the proof is compounded in her daily ugly posts

I feel so sorry for her daughter...julie isn't much of a mother figure
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i would check the website to see if they had cooked vegetables you could
eat... also check the children's menu... and for my part i would probably
eat at the regular time, going to resto and just having a drink... then
pack/stop on the way to parents and get something eating it before arriving
there, even if you say we have a couple of errands to do on the way... Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I thought I had this all planned out but given tonight's hypo now I am not
>sure.
>
> One of my relatives is celebrating a birthday on Saturday. This person
> has picked a chain seafood restaurant and the meal will be at 3:30. This
> person had their birthday there last year during the week at a time we
> could not make. So Angela and I just grabbed a quick meal at Taco Time
> and then went to my parent's house for presents and cake. Well they had
> cake. We did not.
>
> This year we can do that time but... That is not a time we normally eat.
> I do not normally eat lunch and it is IMO too early for dinner. The
> reason this time was picked is that the birthday person and their SO eat
> only one meal a day. And it is as early as possible after the SO gets off
> work. That's another matter, I know.
>
> To complicate matters, there isn't much we can eat there. They do have a
> website that lists the allergens. And pretty much everything has wheat in
> it. Or egg. And I can't have egg! I am also allergic to oysters. And
> we don't eat seafood. The only non-seafood things listed on the menu are
> not at all safe for us to eat. There are shrimp nachos listed. However
> the chips are fried in a communal fryer so it says they are subject to
> cross contamination. If we did order those we would have to order them
> without the shrimp. So most likely we would be paying for something we
> aren't getting. The shrimp. They may or may not be able to do a salad we
> can eat. I don't know. We are also not really supposed to have dairy on
> that day due to the way our rotation diet works.
>
> So... The options would be... Eat breakfast somewhat late in the day and
> hope I don't get a hypo between then and 3:30. Eat half an order of
> nachos (splitting it with Angela) and maybe a salad and hope that can get
> me through to a late dinner elsewhere.
>
> Or just skip the meal. But... If we skip the meal that will for sure put
> me at risk of another hypo. Because by the time they are doing their cake
> and the presents, it will be my normal dinner time.
>
> Either way I think I will be screwed. If I eat the nachos, I could still
> have a hypo or I could go high. If I don't eat them, I risk a hypo.
>
> I suppose another option would be that we just bring our own dinner and
> eat it while they are doing cake, but... That just seems really too weird
> and I haven't a clue what I could bring.
>
> Sometimes I just wish I had a normal family, but I digress.
>
> I am leaning towards eating the nachos, hoping they don't sicken us and
> hoping I don't go too high or have a hypo. What would you do?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

order the nachos with shrimp on the side, take them to kitty... also the
very few restos i know of that have a min. order state that on the
websit/menu, i would call and find out, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]
>>>
>>> I am leaning towards eating the nachos, hoping they don't sicken us and
>>> hoping I don't go too high or have a hypo. What would you do?
>>>

>> the dietician told me to have a snack that suited me in a situation like
>> this
>>
>> have the snack before you leave home....... attend the meal and if you
>> can have a salad, great...... if not, enjoy your tea or coffee, it's your
>> company at the meal that is desired
>>
>> don't go on about why/what you can't eat, smile and say 'i'm very happy
>> with my salad, thank you'
>>
>> and......... have fun!

> I don't drink coffee or tea and we probably can not just have a drink.
> Most restaurants like this have a minimum order. Not really sure about
> this place because I have never eaten there before. That is why I thought
> we could order the nachos minus the shrimp.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i would check the website to see if they had cooked vegetables you could
>eat... also check the children's menu... and for my part i would probably
>eat at the regular time, going to resto and just having a drink... then
>pack/stop on the way to parents and get something eating it before arriving
>there, even if you say we have a couple of errands to do on the way... Lee

No. No vegetables. I don't do well with vegetables because of the
gastroparesis. And there is nothing at all on the children's menu. Not
that we could order from it because we're too old.

It's all a moot point now anyway. They don't want us to come because we
might have whooping cough.

My point is that we could not eat at the regular time because they will be
doing presents, cake and ice cream then. And eating on the way there would
still be too early for me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> order the nachos with shrimp on the side, take them to kitty... also the
> very few restos i know of that have a min. order state that on the
> websit/menu, i would call and find out, Lee

No way! I don't like to take food home and the cats hate shrimp. I swear
these are the pickiest cats ever. They wouldn't eat a bite of the BG tuna.
Now I have to donate that.

They will like their plates clean if I feed them the Skipjack Tuna
Appetizer. Will eat almost all of it with the Tender Tongol, Chicken and
Tuna and the Salmon.

I have found two kinds of Fancy Feast canned tuna that they will eat about
3/4 of.

And they love all crunchy treats except for the dairy ones. They do love
the NOW! dry food. So that's good.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i understand picky i have one that would starve before putting her mouth on
anything that isn't a kibble, lol, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> order the nachos with shrimp on the side, take them to kitty... also the
>> very few restos i know of that have a min. order state that on the
>> websit/menu, i would call and find out, Lee

> No way! I don't like to take food home and the cats hate shrimp. I swear
> these are the pickiest cats ever. They wouldn't eat a bite of the BG
> tuna. Now I have to donate that.
>
> They will like their plates clean if I feed them the Skipjack Tuna
> Appetizer. Will eat almost all of it with the Tender Tongol, Chicken and
> Tuna and the Salmon.
>
> I have found two kinds of Fancy Feast canned tuna that they will eat about
> 3/4 of.
>
> And they love all crunchy treats except for the dairy ones. They do love
> the NOW! dry food. So that's good.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

<snip>

> I am leaning towards eating the nachos, hoping they don't sicken us
> and hoping I don't go too high or have a hypo. What would you do?

Eat seafood.

Or order a salad with grilled chicken on the side. Ask for the salad to be
made without cheese, or even without dressing. Bring your own dressing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

atec77 wrote:

<snip>

> Shows a paucity in the regular decision process all to often
> "Ugly American anyone ?"

Read the book before you make such a comparison. Despite the frequent
assumptions of the uninformed to the contrary, "the ugly American" in the
book of that name was actually a person who got on well with, respected and
was respected by, and helped the native population.

Not to mention the fact that the rest of us are not to blame for Julie's
idiosyncracies

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Plus the phrase Ugly American is generally defined as Americans who act
in a very arrogant manner while overseas. In my experience that attitude
of travelling Americans (at least to Australia) has pretty much phased
out.

"Janet" > wrote in message
> atec77 wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Shows a paucity in the regular decision process all to often
>> "Ugly American anyone ?"

> Read the book before you make such a comparison. Despite the frequent
> assumptions of the uninformed to the contrary, "the ugly American" in
> the book of that name was actually a person who got on well with,
> respected and was respected by, and helped the native population.
>
> Not to mention the fact that the rest of us are not to blame for
> Julie's idiosyncracies

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I am leaning towards eating the nachos, hoping they don't sicken us
>> and hoping I don't go too high or have a hypo. What would you do?

> Eat seafood.
>
> Or order a salad with grilled chicken on the side. Ask for the salad to be
> made without cheese, or even without dressing. Bring your own dressing.

What???? I don't eat chicken and Angela can't eat their chicken because it
has wheat in it. Why would I bring my own dressing? I don't even eat
dressing! It's all over anyway...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/2/2011 4:09 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> I am leaning towards eating the nachos, hoping they don't sicken us and
>>> hoping I don't go too high or have a hypo. What would you do?
>>>

>> the dietician told me to have a snack that suited me in a situation like
>> this
>>
>> have the snack before you leave home....... attend the meal and if you can
>> have a salad, great...... if not, enjoy your tea or coffee, it's your
>> company at the meal that is desired
>>
>> don't go on about why/what you can't eat, smile and say 'i'm very happy
>> with my salad, thank you'
>>
>> and......... have fun!

> I don't drink coffee or tea and we probably can not just have a drink. Most
> restaurants like this have a minimum order. Not really sure about this
> place because I have never eaten there before. That is why I thought we
> could order the nachos minus the shrimp.

If you can eat only limited amounts of the nachos, some restaurants
will offer a container that will let you take the rest home and eat
them later.

You could always call that restaurant (NOT during their busiest
hours) and ask what they'll allow for those with multiple food
allergies, or whether they'll allow drinks only. And, if so,
which drinks are available.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> On 11/2/2011 4:09 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> the dietician told me to have a snack that suited me in a situation like
>>> this
>>>
>>> have the snack before you leave home....... attend the meal and if you
>>> can
>>> have a salad, great...... if not, enjoy your tea or coffee, it's your
>>> company at the meal that is desired
>>>
>>> don't go on about why/what you can't eat, smile and say 'i'm very happy
>>> with my salad, thank you'
>>>
>>> and......... have fun!

>> I don't drink coffee or tea and we probably can not just have a drink.
>> Most
>> restaurants like this have a minimum order. Not really sure about this
>> place because I have never eaten there before. That is why I thought we
>> could order the nachos minus the shrimp.

> If you can eat only limited amounts of the nachos, some restaurants
> will offer a container that will let you take the rest home and eat
> them later.

OMG! I am sick of you treating me like I am stupid. Anyway... As I said
it's all a moot point now. They did not want us at the party. So we didn't
go.

> You could always call that restaurant (NOT during their busiest
> hours) and ask what they'll allow for those with multiple food
> allergies, or whether they'll allow drinks only. And, if so,
> which drinks are available.

OMG! Again, treating me like I am stupid. I know what they do with people
with food allergies. They tell them not to eat there! And of course I know
what drinks are available. It's a freaking chain restaurant!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> I am leaning towards eating the nachos, hoping they don't sicken us
>>> and hoping I don't go too high or have a hypo. What would you do?

>> Eat seafood.
>>
>> Or order a salad with grilled chicken on the side. Ask for the salad
>> to be made without cheese, or even without dressing. Bring your own
>> dressing.

> What???? I don't eat chicken and Angela can't eat their chicken
> because it has wheat in it. Why would I bring my own dressing? I
> don't even eat dressing! It's all over anyway...

I seem to recall a big discussion of your buying chicken in cans, so pardon
me: I thought you ate chicken.

Frankly, it is hard to keep track of all of the things that one or the other
of you will not /cannot eat.

Bringing your own dressing is a way to avoid allergens. (Are people supposed
to know that you don't eat salad dressing?)

My bad for being sucked into one of these conversations....

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

<snip>

What is "stupid," IMHO, is thinking that a chain restaurant would object to
two people just ordering drinks when part of a larger party eating a regular
meal.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Eat seafood.
>>>
>>> Or order a salad with grilled chicken on the side. Ask for the salad
>>> to be made without cheese, or even without dressing. Bring your own
>>> dressing.

>> What???? I don't eat chicken and Angela can't eat their chicken
>> because it has wheat in it. Why would I bring my own dressing? I
>> don't even eat dressing! It's all over anyway...

> I seem to recall a big discussion of your buying chicken in cans, so
> pardon me: I thought you ate chicken.

Angela loves chicken. I do not. I will make canned chicken into soup and
gravy. I can eat it like that. I won't eat a piece of chicken in a
restaurant.

> Frankly, it is hard to keep track of all of the things that one or the
> other of you will not /cannot eat.
>
> Bringing your own dressing is a way to avoid allergens. (Are people
> supposed to know that you don't eat salad dressing?)
>
> My bad for being sucked into one of these conversations....

Well I did say that we were not going, anyway. Angela has tested positive
for whooping cough so we are on quarantine now.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> What is "stupid," IMHO, is thinking that a chain restaurant would object
> to two people just ordering drinks when part of a larger party eating a
> regular meal.

Not all chain restaurants have minimum orders but some do. The waitress at
Olive Garden pulled an attitude on me because I only ordered an appetizer
and salad. She made a big deal about how I would have to pay separately for
the salad. Well excuse me Olive Garden but if your order of gluten free
pasta didn't have 96g of carbs I might have ordered that and had a free
salad! BTW the appetizer sucked. It was flat bread with tomatoes and
cheese. And apparently when treated as they did to it, it goes soggy.
Soggy flatbread is not my thing.