Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Eat those Carbs! The ADA says you should!!

On 11/5/2011 4:40 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message ...
>> I who don't have a dog in this fight have said that I have said wah lah and
>> heard it said that way ..much more then ive heard vy oh lah..
>>
>> neither is mocking anyone
>>
>> dislike anyone ya like all ya like but the whole thing was and still is
>> silly

> Why would *anyone* pronounce it that way? There is no "w" in it. Doesn't
> anyone take French any more?

Not everyone goes to schools that offer French. For example, mine
offered English, Latin, and Spanish, but not French. One instructor
tried to offer Hindi (outside classes), but didn't get further than
trying to have us pronounce all the sounds required.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 11/5/2011 3:40 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Why would *anyone* pronounce it that way? There is no "w" in it.
>> Doesn't
>> anyone take French any more?

> i've seen wah lah and heard wah lah used in day to day conversations
>
> similar to my saying mahvellous! to good news
>
> i do know how to spell marvellous and voila! but mahvellous gives the word
> an accent that i'm looking for
>
> wah lah!

I don't think I have ever heard it pronounced that way. Mahvelous was from
Billy Crystal, wasn't it? Some comedian.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> because depending on the regional dialect it very well could have a "w" in
> it, regional makes a huge difference, Lee, only commenting on the sounds,
> not the mocking part

Well I don't know what region of France my French class was, but it was
pronounced with a vw sound. Like vwella! Doesn't sound a thing like
wallah.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> On 11/5/2011 4:40 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> I who don't have a dog in this fight have said that I have said wah lah
>>> and
>>> heard it said that way ..much more then ive heard vy oh lah..
>>>
>>> neither is mocking anyone
>>>
>>> dislike anyone ya like all ya like but the whole thing was and still is
>>> silly

>> Why would *anyone* pronounce it that way? There is no "w" in it.
>> Doesn't
>> anyone take French any more?

> Not everyone goes to schools that offer French. For example, mine
> offered English, Latin, and Spanish, but not French. One instructor
> tried to offer Hindi (outside classes), but didn't get further than
> trying to have us pronounce all the sounds required.

Ours offer French, Latin and German here.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Seasonal recipe

On 11/5/2011 11:24 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Cheri wrote:
>

>> Yep, we haven't posted any recipes in here for a while now, just
>> bickering...it's becoming like ASD, and all we need to complete the
>> picture is ABC to join the newsgroup. I'll start by posting an old standby
>> recipe that goes around from time to time. Don't know who started the
>> recipe. There should be some really good holiday recipes out there this
>> time of year. :-)

> well - not a holiday recipe, but an old standby for an autumn dinner.
> I leave the weight/measure conversion to the metrically challenged.

A recipe I've used, but only for myself:

Get a fillet of salmon. If it's frozen, defrost it in
the refrigerator. Spray both sides, and also the inside of
a microwave bowl with a cover available, with lecithin
spray. Sprinkle with a salt substitute (potassium chloride
with calcium glutamate added (such as McCormick, Kroger, or
Schilling brands). Add the cover. Put it in a microwave
for as long as it takes to cook inside. Also works with a
salmon slice, if you avoid eating the bones.

I'll leave the conversion for multiple people, and for
people not on a very low sodium diet, to the rest of you.

Should be very low carb, even though I had no need for a
low carb diet back when I used that recipe.

As for ABC, I've found a way to filter out nearly all
posts from him, and nearly all subthreads started by those
posts, if you happen to be using the Thunderbird
email/newsreader program. Doesn't work for any similar
programs from Microsoft, though.

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/31/2011 4:19 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Julie > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> I was the OP. I didn't say it. And the entire thread had a total of 17
>>> posts when I just checked. Doesn't seem so terribly long to me...

>> You said "Eat Those Carbs!" And I know somebody said they said to eat
>> more carbs.

> Here you go! Susan said this!
>
> "Yes, the ADA used to have a statement on their site, "eat more starches,
> they're good for you!""
>
> I used two quote marks on some of it because I was quoting Susan and she was
> apparently quoting the ADA. Whether they actually said that or not I do not
> know. I kind of think not.
>
> To which I told her something to the extent of... Get over it! They no
> longer say that.

The best I can tell, they were once likely to say that, back when they
had a certain person who started the current low-fat movement in a high
position. They are now slowly eliminating all such references, since
they've recognized that low-carb diets are a safe way to lose weight,
even if that's still not the method they recommend (only the one most
frequently recommended on the ADA forums).

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

no i meant the regional accents of the US not france, i took french, got a
good solid B with err uhmm very poor work habits, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> because depending on the regional dialect it very well could have a "w"
>> in it, regional makes a huge difference, Lee, only commenting on the
>> sounds, not the mocking part

> Well I don't know what region of France my French class was, but it was
> pronounced with a vw sound. Like vwella! Doesn't sound a thing like
> wallah.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> no i meant the regional accents of the US not france, i took french, got a
> good solid B with err uhmm very poor work habits, Lee

Hmmm... I can't imagine...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

neither could my mother, luckily for me... i was not a pleaseant child in
that class, i hated it and was bored beyond beleif... was pretty disruptive
and now as i look back regret my ill behavior, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> no i meant the regional accents of the US not france, i took french, got
>> a good solid B with err uhmm very poor work habits, Lee

> Hmmm... I can't imagine...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> neither could my mother, luckily for me... i was not a pleaseant child in
> that class, i hated it and was bored beyond beleif... was pretty
> disruptive and now as i look back regret my ill behavior, Lee

I was that way to an extent. OTOH I was a very quiet and reserved child (on
the surface) in public so my teachers would never believe that it was me
behind the pranks that I pulled. I got away with just short of murder.

In my younger years the school always had to find extra things for me to do.
I worked in the cafeteria, library and office. I was also an assistant for
several classes when I got older and I took extra classes. One thing I
didn't need was that extra two hours off when I was in high school. I
didn't have a thing to do because my homework was always done.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i was a bit easier to study/get grades than most if bored i was not a good
child, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> neither could my mother, luckily for me... i was not a pleaseant child in
>> that class, i hated it and was bored beyond beleif... was pretty
>> disruptive and now as i look back regret my ill behavior, Lee

> I was that way to an extent. OTOH I was a very quiet and reserved child
> (on the surface) in public so my teachers would never believe that it was
> me behind the pranks that I pulled. I got away with just short of murder.
>
> In my younger years the school always had to find extra things for me to
> do. I worked in the cafeteria, library and office. I was also an
> assistant for several classes when I got older and I took extra classes.
> One thing I didn't need was that extra two hours off when I was in high
> school. I didn't have a thing to do because my homework was always done.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i was a bit easier to study/get grades than most if bored i was not a good
>child, Lee

I got very good grades for the most part. Mostly A's. I did get an D in
penmanship in the 5th grade and a D in 11th grade chemistry. Got an A in
P.E. one year but all the other times only a C. I am just not athletically
inclined.

School was very easy for me which is why I got so bored.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Here's a recipe that's great for cold weather. It can be made in a large
slow cooker, or in a heavy dutch oven--I use cast iron, such as
LeCreuset--in the oven. I use a cast iron skillet for the browning phase.
It's my own version of stracotto, or pot roast for pasta. (Of course,
instead of pasta I usually eat it on a big bed of grated zucchini sauteed
with olive oil and garlic, or broccoli rabe, or kale.) It is a dish in which
the meat is supposed to fall apart into the sauce. I add some Greekish
elements (lemon and cinnamon), which gives it a different flavor from the
usual Italian fare. I like to make a big batch, and freeze it in smaller
quantities for future dinners, but it can easily be cut in half.

A 4 lb bottom round roast, or some similar lean braising cut, patted dry
with paper towels (See note at end about defatting if you use a fattier
cut.)
Olive oil
3 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups chopped celery
8 cloves of garlic, minced
Zest of two lemons, removed in strips with a peeler
4 cinnamon sticks
about 2tsp-1Tb dried thyme
4 bay leaves
a lot of freshly ground black pepper, probably a teaspoon at least
salt, about 1 tsp to start
1 cup strong brown stock
1 cup red wine
Some combination of:
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2-1 28oz can diced tomatoes
Possibly some tomato paste (I'll discuss the tomato issue below)

To a very hot cast iron skillet add a healthy drizzle of olive oil and
quickly brown the roast well on all sides, adding oil if necessary. (Expect
to make smoke and messy spatter if you want good flavor! ) Remove to the
slow cooker or cast iron pot. If using a slow cooker, turn it to high at
this point.

Add some oil to the pan if necessary, and quickly add the onions, celery,
and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently, over fairly high heat until the
onions have softened, turned gold, and begun to caramelize. Add the garlic
and cook briefly, then transfer vegetables to the cooker/pot, distributing
around the roast.

While the vegetables above are cooking, distribute the bay leaves, cinnamon
sticks, and lemon rind around the roast.

Deglaze the cast iron skillet with the stock and wine. While the liquids are
coming to a boil, pour the large can of crushed tomatoes around the roast,
and mix it up with the vegetables a bit. Add the thyme and about 1 tsp of
salt, and grind a lot of fresh black pepper over the whole thing. Pour the
wine/stock over the roast, and again mix it up a bit. Note that if you are
concerned about fitting all of the tomatoes into your cooker/pot, you may
want to reduce the wine/stock combo by 50% or so before adding it.

At this point, you have to decide how much more tomato to add. Ideally, you
would use two full 28 oz cans, but it may not fit in your cooker/pot,
depending its size and the size of the cut of meat. Add as much of the diced
tomatoes as you possibly can. It is also worth noting that you can use ALL
diced tomatoes, but in that case you will need to add a small can of tomato
paste, or possibly more. It's up to you, and you can adjust the thickness
with paste a few hours down the road.

If using a slowcooker, put the lid on and cook at high for about five hours.
If using the oven--you should have preheated it to 350F--bring the dish to a
simmer on top of the stove, cover, and cook for at least 2 hours. Adjust the
oven temp so that the dish is simmering, not boiling. Although it will
concentrate, you do not want the sauce to evaporate away. If necessary,
cover with parchment paper or foil under the lid. In a slow cooker, this
will not be an issue.

Remove the meat to a cutting board, and slice into thick pieces, about 1
inch or so. (The meat should be cooked through at this point.) Replace meat
in pot, roughly reassembling the roast. At this point, adjust S&P, and
decide whether you need to add tomato paste. Continue cooking for another 1
1/2 hours if in the oven (again, make sure it isn't drying out too much) and
2+ hours in the slow cooker. At the end the meat should be falling apart
into the sauce.

If you have used a fatty cut of meat, the easiest way to defat it is to
simply place the entire dish in the fridge overnight, and remove the
congealed stuff the next day. Luckily, this is great made the day before. If
you have used a lean cut, it will not be necessary.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet wrote:

> Here's a recipe that's great for cold weather. It can be made in a large
> slow cooker, or in a heavy dutch oven--I use cast iron, such as
> LeCreuset--in the oven. I use a cast iron skillet for the browning phase.
> It's my own version of stracotto, or pot roast for pasta. (Of course,
> instead of pasta I usually eat it on a big bed of grated zucchini sauteed
> with olive oil and garlic, or broccoli rabe, or kale.) It is a dish in
> which the meat is supposed to fall apart into the sauce. I add some
> Greekish elements (lemon and cinnamon), which gives it a different flavor
> from the usual Italian fare. I like to make a big batch, and freeze it in
> smaller quantities for future dinners, but it can easily be cut in half.

Mmmmm - thanks!! Saved for next Sunday dinner. (I am now officially in
charge of dinner every day except Monday. There will be leftovers :-) )

net carbs? RichD General Cooking 43 21-01-2016 08:26 PM
Too many carbs! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 3 06-09-2011 05:14 AM
Carbs percy Diabetic 0 20-07-2008 01:32 AM
net carbs? Rob and Jami Diabetic 2 04-10-2004 09:02 PM
Good Carbs, Bad Carbs, And Cancer Steve Vegan 0 12-08-2004 05:31 PM