Old 05-11-2011, 01:46 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Eat those Carbs! The ADA says you should!!

"KROM" wrote in message ...
I who dont have a dog in this fight have said that I have said wah lah and
heard it said that way ..much more then ive heard vy oh lah..

neither is mocking anyone

dislike anyone ya like all ya like but the whole thing was and still is
silly

KROM

Yep, we haven't posted any recipes in here for a while now, just
bickering...it's becoming like ASD, and all we need to complete the picture
is ABC to join the newsgroup. I'll start by posting an old standby recipe
that goes around from time to time. Don't know who started the recipe. There
should be some really good holiday recipes out there this time of year. :-)

CHOCOLATE OMELET

1 tablespoon butter for pan/or Pam

2 large eggs
1 TBS plus 1 tsp cocoa
2 TBS cream or canned milk
3-4 packets equal, or sweetener of choice

Mix thoroughly with a hand mixer. In an 8", buttered skillet, over medium
heat, let the mixture cook, undisturbed, until almost set then remove it
from the burner and cover the skillet. This causes the eggs to expand much
like a souffle, but not that high.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Seasonal recipe

Cheri wrote:

Yep, we haven't posted any recipes in here for a while now, just
bickering...it's becoming like ASD, and all we need to complete the
picture is ABC to join the newsgroup. I'll start by posting an old standby
recipe that goes around from time to time. Don't know who started the
recipe. There should be some really good holiday recipes out there this
time of year. :-)

well - not a holiday recipe, but an old standby for an autumn dinner.
I leave the weight/measure conversion to the metrically challenged.

Serves 4:

1.2 kg beef, use a cut that can simmer for a long time to get tender.
About 1.5 liters water, 1 tsp salt

Cut meat in quite large pieces, cover with water in a pan, bring to a boil,
skim well if you want a clear broth, otherwise leave the extra protein in
the pot. Add the greens from a leek and let simmer for an hour and a half.

In the meantime cut 150 g cabbage in thin slices, dice 3 carrots and 100 g
celeriac and/or parsley root, and slice the rest of the leek.
Add vegetables to the pot, let simmer for 10 minutes,then strain off .5
liters (or use cube bouillon) to make a sauce.
Add vinegar, sweetener, salt and pepper to taste.

The usual procedure is now to remove the meat and some of the vegetables
from the soup, serve soup separately, followed by sliced meat and the rest
of the vegetables with the onion sauce.

Non-diabetics have potatoes along with this, I have a sweet potato or
fauxtatoes :-)

Last time I made this I had all the vegetables ready cut, forgot to tell the
wife that the chopped onion was for sauce - she put it in the soup and it
was delicious!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Bjrn Steensrud" wrote in message
Cheri wrote:

[...]

This sounds really good. It's starting to get cold around here and will
definitely make it.

Cheri

Old 05-11-2011, 07:06 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bjørn Steensrud wrote:

Oops - sauce description got chopped off:

Add vegetables to the pot, let simmer for 10 minutes,then strain off .5
liters (or use cube bouillon) to make a sauce.

Chop finely 1 medium onion, add to the half liter of broth and bring to a
boil.
Stir 2 tbsp wheat flour into 0.5 dl cold water, mix well,
whisk into the half liter of hot broth. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Add vinegar, sweetener, salt and pepper to taste.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/5/2011 3:40 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

Why would *anyone* pronounce it that way? There is no "w" in it. Doesn't
anyone take French any more?

i've seen wah lah and heard wah lah used in day to day conversations

similar to my saying mahvellous! to good news

i do know how to spell marvellous and voila! but mahvellous gives the
word an accent that i'm looking for

wah lah!

kate

Old 05-11-2011, 08:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

because depending on the regional dialect it very well could have a "w" in
it, regional makes a huge difference, Lee, only commenting on the sounds,
not the mocking part

Old 06-11-2011, 02:51 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/5/2011 4:40 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message ...
I who don't have a dog in this fight have said that I have said wah lah and
heard it said that way ..much more then ive heard vy oh lah..

neither is mocking anyone

dislike anyone ya like all ya like but the whole thing was and still is
silly

Why would *anyone* pronounce it that way? There is no "w" in it. Doesn't
anyone take French any more?

Not everyone goes to schools that offer French. For example, mine
offered English, Latin, and Spanish, but not French. One instructor
tried to offer Hindi (outside classes), but didn't get further than
trying to have us pronounce all the sounds required.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 11/5/2011 3:40 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

Why would *anyone* pronounce it that way? There is no "w" in it.
Doesn't
anyone take French any more?

i've seen wah lah and heard wah lah used in day to day conversations

similar to my saying mahvellous! to good news

i do know how to spell marvellous and voila! but mahvellous gives the word
an accent that i'm looking for

wah lah!

I don't think I have ever heard it pronounced that way. Mahvelous was from
Billy Crystal, wasn't it? Some comedian.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
because depending on the regional dialect it very well could have a "w" in
it, regional makes a huge difference, Lee, only commenting on the sounds,
not the mocking part

Well I don't know what region of France my French class was, but it was
pronounced with a vw sound. Like vwella! Doesn't sound a thing like
wallah.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message
I who don't have a dog in this fight have said that I have said wah lah
and
heard it said that way ..much more then ive heard vy oh lah..

neither is mocking anyone

dislike anyone ya like all ya like but the whole thing was and still is
silly

Why would *anyone* pronounce it that way? There is no "w" in it.
Doesn't
anyone take French any more?

Not everyone goes to schools that offer French. For example, mine
offered English, Latin, and Spanish, but not French. One instructor
tried to offer Hindi (outside classes), but didn't get further than
trying to have us pronounce all the sounds required.

Ours offer French, Latin and German here.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/5/2011 11:24 AM, Bjrn Steensrud wrote:
Cheri wrote:

Yep, we haven't posted any recipes in here for a while now, just
bickering...it's becoming like ASD, and all we need to complete the
picture is ABC to join the newsgroup. I'll start by posting an old standby
recipe that goes around from time to time. Don't know who started the
recipe. There should be some really good holiday recipes out there this
time of year. :-)

well - not a holiday recipe, but an old standby for an autumn dinner.
I leave the weight/measure conversion to the metrically challenged.

A recipe I've used, but only for myself:

Get a fillet of salmon. If it's frozen, defrost it in
the refrigerator. Spray both sides, and also the inside of
a microwave bowl with a cover available, with lecithin
spray. Sprinkle with a salt substitute (potassium chloride
with calcium glutamate added (such as McCormick, Kroger, or
Schilling brands). Add the cover. Put it in a microwave
for as long as it takes to cook inside. Also works with a
salmon slice, if you avoid eating the bones.

I'll leave the conversion for multiple people, and for
people not on a very low sodium diet, to the rest of you.

Should be very low carb, even though I had no need for a
low carb diet back when I used that recipe.

As for ABC, I've found a way to filter out nearly all
posts from him, and nearly all subthreads started by those
posts, if you happen to be using the Thunderbird
email/newsreader program. Doesn't work for any similar
programs from Microsoft, though.

Robert Miles

net carbs? RichD General Cooking 43 21-01-2016 07:26 PM
Too many carbs! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 3 06-09-2011 05:14 AM
Carbs percy Diabetic 0 20-07-2008 01:32 AM
net carbs? Rob and Jami Diabetic 2 04-10-2004 09:02 PM
Good Carbs, Bad Carbs, And Cancer Steve Vegan 0 12-08-2004 05:31 PM