Old 21-10-2011, 06:10 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favorite vegetable?

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

: "Storrmmee" wrote in message
: ...
: i don't know but am wondering about rice milk and rice flour, both for
: kosher and for wheat issues, Lee

: Sweet rice flour would work.

Sounds very carby to me.

Which is why I never used it. The ones that we bought are not soupy and
they do not seem to have a thickener in them. They do contain sour cream
which I normally wouldn't use because I dislike it very much. However there
seems to be enough cheese in there that I do not notice the taste of it. I
actually like these. And they are cheap. So I will keep buying them so
long as they keep selling them. It is a large container. Plenty for two
meals for us with that being the main dish for me.

Old 21-10-2011, 06:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
it certainly wouldn't be an every day food, sorta one of those treat
foods, and when we do make it we put in the ham or hamburger and cheese,
so you get the flavors without as much of the sauce, my mom once made it
with chicken, it wasn't bad but not my favorite... I have been considering
trying to make it with some vegetable that had less carbs but haven't
decided which one to use... Lee

This is not my recipe but Gordon Ramsey's. Very good and because it
contains a lot of onion it is less carby. There is no dairy in it but it
tastes like there is. I wonder if cheese could be added to it? Note that I
was given a similar recipe using vegetable broth. I have used that also and
it is very good too.

2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
4 cups thinly sliced onion
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1 tsp fresh rosemary
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
3 tbsp olive oil, divided plus more for brushing
3 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth

In skillet, sauté garlic in 2 tbsp olive oil. Add onions, sprinkle with
salt and pepper to taste,
and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Add rosemary and thyme and cook for
2 minutes.
Brush 13x9x2 pan with olive oil. Layer 1/3 of potatoes. Sprinkle with 1/4
tsp salt and pepper.

Add half of onion mixture. Repeat and top with last 1/3 of potatoes. Pour
broth over the mixture.

Drizzle with 1 tbsp oil. Cover with foil and bake in oven preheated to 425
for 30 minutes.

Remove foil and bake until potatoes are tender and start to brown.

Old 27-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Member

I love potatoes probably more than anything, and especially sweet potatoes. You can just do so much with potatoes. I do like celery and carrots...but i'm not the most healthy eater in the world...so I usually use some kind of dip or sauce with them (probably almost defeats the purpose of eating vegetables, but at least I get some good with the bad).

But yeah, potatoes get first place in my book.
Old 24-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Member

I love strawberrys and blue beerries because i can put them in a blender and whip them up with juice or almond milk and have a heathy drink. one two three.
Onions can be promoted to my second favorite, if they’re carmelized. Green bean casserole made w/cream of celery soup instead of mushrooms.

Old 19-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Member

These are all my favorite vegetables:
mushrooms