Old 13-10-2011, 04:38 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favorite vegetable?

On 10/13/2011 2:53 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i can't eat much eggplant as it affects my joints but it is a wonderful
food, just not always worth the pain it inflicts on me, Lee

ohhhhhhhh an inflammatory response?

kate

Old 13-10-2011, 10:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I like everything that OzGirl like...but add on spinach, cabbage,
squash...most kinds, sweet peas, love peppers but they don't love me.

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, green beans, onions, sweet
potato, tomatoes, peppers, celery, cucumber, radishes and I'll eat
pretty much everything else Not bad for someone who only ate potato,
canned peas and very ripe tomato slices between white bread - and eaten
hours after it was made to let it go soggy, until I was 21....

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I may have asked this before but I'm going to ask it again. I have a
hard time picking just one.

I do love beans of all kinds. I could eat them every day but I don't
because of the carbs. I eat them less often than I used to. But I do
still eat them once a week. Exception being green and wax beans which
I eat several times a day. Those are Angela's favorites by far so she
wants them often.

I also love beets but don't eat them often either. Nobody else in the
house will eat them. Mostly I get them at salad bars but I do keep a
few cans around just for me.

Used to be peas were a favorite vegetable. I still really like them
but since Angela is allergic to them I don't eat them often either.
She did really like them so I don't like to eat them in front of her.
But I do keep a few cans around. When I make tuna casserole I will
put some on my portion and if my husband is home on his too. But
again there is that carb count.

Onions! I tend to keep several kinds and forms on-hand. I put them
in darned near everything! I think not only do they taste good but
they are good for you.

Carrots. Not so much cooked although when my mom does with pot roast
they are very good. I haven't a clue how she does them. She uses the
large ones cut in sticks. She also puts in potatoes and onion soup
mix. The carrots come out with the roast flavor but they are still
partially crunchy. I also like the potatoes in there. Can't say the
same about the roast. To me it is chewy and underdone, but perhaps
that is why the carrots come out that way? I have tried using those
and also the baby carrots since those are the favorite in this house.
They always cook to mush even when I wait to put them in. And they
never develop the deep flavor that my mom's do. So mostly we eat raw
carrots here.

Celery. So versatile! I add this to a variety of things and also eat
it raw.

Peppers. I add these to a lot of things too and I love them raw.

Tomatoes. I love these both cooked and raw. Angela is finally
deciding that she likes the raw ones. Still doesn't like them cooked.
She was not pleased when I said I was getting two cases of organic
diced from Costco. They have an upcoming coupon for buy one (case) get
one free. I will donate one case to the food bank. I also found out
they are in need of cat food. Yay! Have been looking for a place to
donate that too. Ballerina and Jazzy are picky eaters and won't eat
all of the Wellness brand that I stocked up on.

Potatoes. Yes they are high in carbs. These are another thing I
could eat every day. But I don't. I quit buying the large bags.
When my husband was home we could usually use one up before it went
bad. But now we can't. So I buy them a few at a time or a small bag
of the little pearl ones. Those cook up quickly and they are very
good. And they don't seem to spike me.

So those are probably my favorites. What are yours?

Old 14-10-2011, 09:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/13/2011 3:56 PM, Jacquie wrote:
I like everything that OzGirl like...but add on spinach, cabbage,
squash...most kinds, sweet peas, love peppers but they don't love me.

whimper, my problem too!!!!

kate
Old 14-10-2011, 10:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

according to the allergist its a reaction to enzymes and how they are
changed by freezing/cooking, one of the things i continusoly is that there
is no one size fits all food plan, it simpley doesn't work, one has to
consider allergins, sensitivities, how well the body digests different
catagories, what causes a reaction like bgl and then of course there is what
tastes good, Lee
"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 10/13/2011 2:57 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i have no idea what changes but just so you feel less alone, i can eat
strawberries until i explode if they are fresh, once frozen they make me
deathly ill to the point of needing the er, and i can eat "fresh"
pineapple
if frozen or i can eat it canned or cooked but never fresh... last time i
did it was in a fluffy salad at a salad bar, i thought it was canned...
by
the time we finished our meal and left the resto, i hurled like a vengful
cat from the top of your frig... right there in the parking lot, my
stomach
had enough and simply expelled the contents, it took a while to figure
out
what it was... no more fluffy salads for me, Lee

priceless, strawberries and pineapple make me break out in a red rash, so
i have always had to eat them MODERATELY

i wouldn't be eating them if i had your reaction to them!

just have to wonder what the body is doing.... how can we all be so
different?

kate

Old 14-10-2011, 10:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol, part of cooking is skills learned but part is talent plain and simple,
what little i know is hard learned when it comes to process, my dh can make
about anything and rarely uses a recipe, Lee
"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 10/13/2011 2:59 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i call this cookinging method, "adventure" soup/stoup/cassarole...
depending
on what and how thick it gets,... same process, whats in this frig that
needs going... Lee

giggle, the "intuitive" versus "sensing" cook

when we finally got cooking classes in school i was 12 years old.........
and had been cooking for the family for 5 years

my teacher was the "sensing" cook
boy, i drove her nuts
she would tell us what to make....... i knew how to make that, so i just
did (read the recipe? why? LOL) and that drove her up the wall........ it
was worse when she did taste tests and liked my version better than the
others! LOL

kate

Old 14-10-2011, 10:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

if i eat what one would consider a normal portion mild stifness, if i eat
one would consider seconds then the inflamation starts, if i eat what i
want, it could move from joints to a migraine, that hasn't happened in
years, that was a painful lesson, Lee

Old 16-10-2011, 08:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/14/2011 3:05 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
lol, part of cooking is skills learned but part is talent plain and simple,
what little i know is hard learned when it comes to process, my dh can make
about anything and rarely uses a recipe, Lee

LOL

hubby is quite disconcerted with my lake of recipe following

about 12 years ago, i wanted to make talapia with oranges and a touch of
sweet basil or pesto sauce and perhaps a very light dash of garlic

NO WAY JOSE
ok, fine

today, he read the recipe on the back of the package (i didn't know
there was one there)

he LOVES talapia and oranges
he cooked dinner tonight (guess that's yesterday now, sure wish the
chills from this flu/cold/whatever goes away soon)

kate

Old 16-10-2011, 09:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/16/2011 1:56 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
[...]

lake?

i should go back to typing letters not words
*lack!

Old 16-10-2011, 06:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i just love eggplant so its a big struggle, but i have been allergic to so
much for so long i can test things after being off them for a bit of time, i
plan it so i am not working or having nothing to do the next day should i
have judged wrong, Lee

Old 17-10-2011, 12:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/16/2011 11:19 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i hate the getting better part of the flu, when i am in the sickest part i
sleep but when you are getting better you do to much and pay for it, Lee

part of this one is inability to sleep

my bg is 32.x right now
fluid time!

kate

Old 17-10-2011, 01:36 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Tiger Lily wrote:

On 10/16/2011 11:19 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i hate the getting better part of the flu, when i am in the sickest part i
sleep but when you are getting better you do to much and pay for it, Lee

part of this one is inability to sleep

my bg is 32.x right now
fluid time!

Yikes! Feel better soon, mkay?

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Old 17-10-2011, 11:34 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

ta, slept from 5:30 pm last night to 8:30 am this morning

did wake up at 3:00 am and my mouth was covered in blisters
took some cough med that has antihystamine in it and swished it round my
mouth and took something for my 3.2 bg level

still not doing great, but much better than this time yesterday! thanks
for the kind words, Lee

kate