FoodBanter.com

-   -   Thanksgiving dinner (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/411244-thanksgiving-dinner.html)

HonoluluSprite 21-09-2011 08:50 PM

Thanksgiving dinner

I'm sure you have talked about this a million times but I am new here
and to this whole world. My husband's whole family is either at this
stage or on their way to being T2, husband included!

I found a cranberry sauce for diabetics but what about everything
else? Margarine instead of butter?

All starches (potatoes, rice, stuffing, macaroni) and fats like mayo
and butter.

Advice? Anyone? Sorry for taking up space on your board!

W. Baker 21-09-2011 09:17 PM

Thanksgiving dinner

HonoluluSprite > wrote:
: I'm sure you have talked about this a million times but I am new here
: and to this whole world. My husband's whole family is either at this
: stage or on their way to being T2, husband included!

: I found a cranberry sauce for diabetics but what about everything
: else? Margarine instead of butter?

: All starches (potatoes, rice, stuffing, macaroni) and fats like mayo
: and butter.

: Advice? Anyone? Sorry for taking up space on your board!

Don't apologize. That is why we are here. many of us have suggestions we
use for Thansgiving dinner. Firt, it is easy to make cranberry sauce
using the recipe on the bag. the only change is to substitute a
non-nutritive sweetener like Splenda for the sugar. It comes out very
good and you can make it in about 5-6 minutes, well ahead of the big day.
I make a pumkin pie, using ground walnuts lightly sweetened with Splenda
or other non-nutritive sweetener of your chooice, firmly pressed into the
pie plate adn tthen I make the pumkin custard part , again substituting
for the sugar with your non-nutritive sweetener.

I make dressing for the turkey, ouside the bird using tons of vegetables
particularly including a coule of kinds of mushrooms like chunked
portoballo, regular , also in large pieces, etc. I use a low carb bread
in place of the regular bread and lots of herbs and seasonings. I like a
little curry powder in there but that is for personal preference. I cook
this in a large rectangular pan covered with aluminum foil, right along
with the turkey for about an hour.

I make a pan gravy
after removing any excess fat, by scraping all the good bits in the pan
with either water or wine or chicken or turkey stock and adjusting the
gravy for seasonings. I make it thin, therefore not needing to add any
to add any flour or other starchy thickener. Serve lots of green
vegetables and a nice big green salad in place of all the whipped
potatoes, greenbean cassarole,ewtc.

Wendy

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 10:06 PM

Thanksgiving dinner

"HonoluluSprite" > wrote in message
> I'm sure you have talked about this a million times but I am new here
> and to this whole world. My husband's whole family is either at this
> stage or on their way to being T2, husband included!
>
> I found a cranberry sauce for diabetics but what about everything
> else? Margarine instead of butter?
>
> All starches (potatoes, rice, stuffing, macaroni) and fats like mayo
> and butter.
>
> Advice? Anyone? Sorry for taking up space on your board!

Why in the world would you eat margarine? Not unless you have a dairy
allergy and even then it is hard to find dairy free.

What type of diet do you follow? There is no one diet that fits all.

Nick Cramer 21-09-2011 10:53 PM

Thanksgiving dinner

HonoluluSprite > wrote:
> I'm sure you have talked about this a million times but I am new here
> and to this whole world. My husband's whole family is either at this
> stage or on their way to being T2, husband included!
>
> I found a cranberry sauce for diabetics but what about everything
> else? Margarine instead of butter?
>
> All starches (potatoes, rice, stuffing, macaroni) and fats like mayo
> and butter.
>
> Advice? Anyone? Sorry for taking up space on your board!

Hi Sprite! This is NOT anyone's "board". This is a NewsGroup on Usenet. It
exists to share recipes and answer questions such as yours.

Cranberry sauce for people with diabetes? I want that recipe!

For me, carbs are the problem, not fats. So, I like butter and mayo. ;-)

Different carbs metabolize at different rates, so checking blood glucose
(BG) levels after meals, to find out when, and by how much, different foods
effect your BG, is helpful in controlling the disease.

Sorry about hubby and his family being thus afflicted. Good luck.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

KROM 21-09-2011 11:09 PM

Thanksgiving dinner

my thanksgiving is as good as it was pre diagnosis..most all the items you
eat aren't that bad if you eliminate the sugar and remember its one day a
year..if that and you birthday and anniversary are your relax days it wont
hurt..just dont go crazy or you'll be sick.

but I have found so many tasty substitutes it really isn't a problem..I make
cranberry sauce from scratch using splenda with fiber and a tiny bit
unflavored gelatin.

gravy using the turkey juices and gelatin and teaspoon guar gum reduced in a
pot stove top is better then a flour thickened one as its concentrated and
delicious.

I replace most of the potato in mashed potato with cauliflower cooked soft
in chicken stock..it transforms it and when mashed in tastes wonderful.

I make pumpkin pie with a carbalose flour crust and same recipe as I would
pre dx but sugar replaced with splenda.

also because its a special meal I dont count the calories so adding real
butter and heavy cream instead of milk makes the meal that much better and
the removal of sugar and blood glucose spiking carbs are not missed.

the best thing about all this is most all "experiments " in finding tasty
subs are delicious and once you perfect a recipe or technique you wont have
to worry next time.

KROM

Janet Wilder[_1_] 22-09-2011 01:04 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

On 9/21/2011 2:50 PM, HonoluluSprite wrote:
> I'm sure you have talked about this a million times but I am new here
> and to this whole world. My husband's whole family is either at this
> stage or on their way to being T2, husband included!
>
> I found a cranberry sauce for diabetics but what about everything
> else? Margarine instead of butter?
>
> All starches (potatoes, rice, stuffing, macaroni) and fats like mayo
> and butter.
>
> Advice? Anyone? Sorry for taking up space on your board!

As Wendy posted, use the recipe on a bag of cranberries except
substitute Splenda for sugar. I add a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg to
mine.

As snacks before dinner, I make deviled eggs and cucumber slices with a
little bit of low-fat cream cheese, smoked salmon and maybe a couple of
capers or a sprig of dill or finely diced red onion. Cucumber slices
make good bases for canapes.

There is no difference in fat content between margarine and butter and
butter is natural. Portion control is the name of the game.

Fat-free can mean more carbohydrates. Read Labels!

We have turkey and no stuffing. Baked sweet potato (1/2 of a small one
per person equal to about 15 G. carbohydrates) with no marshmallows or
other added junk, ( I put butter on mine, DH the Diabetic, likes his
plain) a green vegetable, like broccoli, and my family's necessary cole
slaw made with Hellman's (Best Foods out west) lite mayo, cider vinegar
and a touch of Splenda. If you feel you must stuff the turkey's cavity,
put in a couple of stalks of celery, an onion, some garlic cloves and
some pepper corns.

Due to the low carb content of the meal, I will make gravy for the
turkey using the minimum amount of starch that will just thicken it. I
also make my own broth for the gravy from turkey necks and gizzards to
keep the sodium level down. He can handle it when all he's dealing with
is a half of a sweet potato.

I make a pumpkin cheesecake for dessert that has a small, bottom crust
made from pecans and ginger snaps, but you can make it all from nuts,
(or adjust the proportions to suit your family), Splenda and butter.

It is inevitable that when we have guests someone wants to bring
dressing and pie, so we fill up on all the non-carby stuff. Note that
the servings of the cheesecake are small, but it's a rich cheesecake and
a small serving is quite enough.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pumpkin Cheesecake

Recipe By :Janet Wilder
Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cakes

1 cup gingersnap cookie crumbs
1 cup pecans -- finely chopped
1/3 cup butter -- melted
24 ounces Neufchatel cheese -- softened
1 cup Splenda
15 ounces pumpkin -- canned
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 cups sour cream -- low fat (NOT fat-free)
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsps. Splenda
1 tsp vanilla
20 pecan halves

CRUST: Combine gingersnap crumbs, chopped pecans and butter. Press into
the bottom of a 9" springform pan and chill.
FILLING: Preheat oven to 350. Beat cream cheese and Splenda in a large
mixing bowl until well blended. Beat in pumpkin, spices and salt. Add
eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Pour into crust and bake
at 350 for 60 minutes. Remove from oven.
TOPPING: Combine, sour cream, Splenda, corn starch and vanilla. Spread
over cheesecake. Return to oven for 5 minutes. Turn off oven and allow
cake to cool with door propped oven for 5 hours. Remove and continue to
cool. When completely cool, place in refrigerator and chill overnight.
Garnish each portion with a pecan half.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 252 Calories; 22g Fat (73.9%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 63mg
Cholesterol; 252mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0
Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

W. Baker 22-09-2011 02:19 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: On 9/21/2011 2:50 PM, HonoluluSprite wrote:
: > I'm sure you have talked about this a million times but I am new here
: > and to this whole world. My husband's whole family is either at this
: > stage or on their way to being T2, husband included!
: >
[...]

: Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
: -------- ------------ --------------------------------
[...]

: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

: Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 252 Calories; 22g Fat (73.9%
: calories from fat); 6g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 63mg
: Cholesterol; 252mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0
: Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Way-the-heck-south Texas
: Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

If you like the ginger snap flavor, you can make a nut crust and add
powdered ginger to the nots , skipping the cookies. I also find that when
I use walnuts (I imagine that it would be the same with oily pecans) I
need no butter or fat in the crust, just the nuts and splenda. I do this
for my cheesecake adn my pumpkin pie that I make for thanksgiving.

I stil do like the very vegetably dressing I make, and now that I have
this 4 grams of cab a slice bread I don't have to be as stingy with the
bread as I used to be. Just make sure to use lots of mushrooms adn
onions(leeks if you like too) celery, green or other colored peppers,
parsley and lots of your favorite herbs and spices.

Wendy

Ozgirl 22-09-2011 02:33 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

For one meal I wouldn't worry about choice of fats so go with what you
like best. Even diabetic cranberry sauce can have an impact so for
yourself personally go light on that. Offer the carbs because I am sure
everyone is expecting them but have some other low carb alternatives for
those who want to eat like they should. Like tossed salads, lots of low
starch vegetables etc.

If you wanted advice for long term eating then I would advise
differently but as its only one day, a very important day to
Americans/Canadian then I wouldn't be inclined to go overboard and stray
too far from tradition.

That link to low carb recipes Cheri posted earlier might have a lot of
suitable Thanksgiving stuff.

I would make up some raw veggies and low carb dips for having on the
table before the meal.

Ozgirl 22-09-2011 02:37 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

"KROM" > wrote in message
> what I like to do with my turkey is make a herb butter with rosemary
> and sage and thyme etc all fresh in the food processor and put that
> under the skin of the bird..then rub olive oil on the outside and just
> salt and pepper the skin and roast it that way..always turns out
> perfect.

Rosemary with turkey, interesting. I bought more large turkey legs this
week planning to do a slow cooker meal but i am tempted to try this now

W. Baker 22-09-2011 03:16 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

Ozgirl > wrote:
: For one meal I wouldn't worry about choice of fats so go with what you
: like best. Even diabetic cranberry sauce can have an impact so for
: yourself personally go light on that. Offer the carbs because I am sure
: everyone is expecting them but have some other low carb alternatives for
: those who want to eat like they should. Like tossed salads, lots of low
: starch vegetables etc.

: If you wanted advice for long term eating then I would advise
: differently but as its only one day, a very important day to
: Americans/Canadian then I wouldn't be inclined to go overboard and stray
: too far from tradition.

I like to prepare really diabetic friendly meals even for holidays, yet
make them as delicious as possible. i was as raised on thin grvy, so ht
is no problem for me. substituting a diferent bread and addign specially
god vegetalbes to a dressing recipe is fine for me adn my guests always
eat it all up with no complaints of regrets. I have a family that likes
broccoli or lightly cooked string beans adn we never bdid ut butter on
such thngs for religious reasons, so that is easy. I have made cassaroles
using mashed butternut squash rahter than sweet potato which, while still
a bit carby is less so than the sweet potato ones. Many of our guests are
often dealign with wieght problems so appreciate delicious holiday meals
that don't break their dies to much. I do make apple pie, my mother;s
crowning dessert each year, but I make it with only a top crust and use
non-nutritive sweeteners on the apples. We have hot spiced cider to start
the meal in the living room, but I use no sgarjus non-huritive
sweeteneralong with the stick cinnamon, lemon slices, and cloves that I
boil up in a small amount of water before adding he cider just to het, not
boil it. Most now take only one small punch cup these days.

Young cildren in the famiy are growing up with these foods, not the
candied sweets, and rich vegetable and starchy stuffing tht used to be, so
they do not miss them. It works for me.

Wendy

Ozgirl 22-09-2011 03:54 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
> : For one meal I wouldn't worry about choice of fats so go with what
> you
> : like best. Even diabetic cranberry sauce can have an impact so for
> : yourself personally go light on that. Offer the carbs because I am
> sure
> : everyone is expecting them but have some other low carb alternatives
> for
> : those who want to eat like they should. Like tossed salads, lots of
> low
> : starch vegetables etc.
>
> : If you wanted advice for long term eating then I would advise
> : differently but as its only one day, a very important day to
> : Americans/Canadian then I wouldn't be inclined to go overboard and
> stray
> : too far from tradition.
>
> I like to prepare really diabetic friendly meals even for holidays,
> yet
> make them as delicious as possible. i was as raised on thin grvy, so
> ht
> is no problem for me. substituting a diferent bread and addign
> specially
> god vegetalbes to a dressing recipe is fine for me adn my guests
> always
> eat it all up with no complaints of regrets. I have a family that
> likes
> broccoli or lightly cooked string beans adn we never bdid ut butter on
> such thngs for religious reasons, so that is easy. I have made
> cassaroles
> using mashed butternut squash rahter than sweet potato which, while
> still
> a bit carby is less so than the sweet potato ones. Many of our guests
> are
> often dealign with wieght problems so appreciate delicious holiday
> meals
> that don't break their dies to much. I do make apple pie, my mother;s
> crowning dessert each year, but I make it with only a top crust and
> use
> non-nutritive sweeteners on the apples. We have hot spiced cider to
> start
> the meal in the living room, but I use no sgarjus non-huritive
> sweeteneralong with the stick cinnamon, lemon slices, and cloves that
> boil up in a small amount of water before adding he cider just to het,
> not
> boil it. Most now take only one small punch cup these days.
>
> Young cildren in the famiy are growing up with these foods, not the
> candied sweets, and rich vegetable and starchy stuffing tht used to
> be, so
> they do not miss them. It works for me.

Reminds me of one Xmas. My brother never left home, just bought his wife
there and eventually kids and when Mum was aging my SIL took over most
of the household chores etc. On this one Xmas my brother did Xmas
dinner. This magnificent buffet of cold cooked meats - lamb legs,
chicken, turkey, roast pork, prawns and oysters and of course the Xmas
ham. He made at least a dozen different salads, stuffings, salad
dressings etc. He did the traditional boiled pudding with custard but my
mother lost the plot. She was so distressed she nearly fainted. For all
the years until dementia took over she groused about that unfortunate
Xmas... :)

Julie Bove[_2_] 22-09-2011 05:58 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> For one meal I wouldn't worry about choice of fats so go with what you
> like best. Even diabetic cranberry sauce can have an impact so for
> yourself personally go light on that. Offer the carbs because I am sure
> everyone is expecting them but have some other low carb alternatives for
> those who want to eat like they should. Like tossed salads, lots of low
> starch vegetables etc.
>
> If you wanted advice for long term eating then I would advise differently
> but as its only one day, a very important day to Americans/Canadian then I
> wouldn't be inclined to go overboard and stray too far from tradition.
>
> That link to low carb recipes Cheri posted earlier might have a lot of
> suitable Thanksgiving stuff.
>
> I would make up some raw veggies and low carb dips for having on the table
> before the meal.
>
> "HonoluluSprite" > wrote in message
>> I'm sure you have talked about this a million times but I am new here
>> and to this whole world. My husband's whole family is either at this
>> stage or on their way to being T2, husband included!
>>
>> I found a cranberry sauce for diabetics but what about everything
>> else? Margarine instead of butter?
>>
>> All starches (potatoes, rice, stuffing, macaroni) and fats like mayo
>> and butter.
>>
>> Advice? Anyone? Sorry for taking up space on your board!

I wonder why no one has come up with a pre-made sugar free sauce? I hate
the sugar free sauces I have made. But then... I hate all homemade
cranberry sauce. I only like the canned.

I make cranberry salad. Chopped cranberries mixed with sweetener, chopped
celery and pecans, grated rind of an orange or two. Just enough orange
Jell-O to hold it together. I make it this way because I hate Jell-O. My
dad complains when I make it this way because he likes his Jell-O with just
a little bit of stuff in it.

Julie Bove[_2_] 22-09-2011 06:06 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> [...]
>>
>> Young cildren in the famiy are growing up with these foods, not the
>> candied sweets, and rich vegetable and starchy stuffing tht used to be,
>> so
>> they do not miss them. It works for me.
>>

> Reminds me of one Xmas. My brother never left home, just bought his wife
> there and eventually kids and when Mum was aging my SIL took over most of
> the household chores etc. On this one Xmas my brother did Xmas dinner.
> This magnificent buffet of cold cooked meats - lamb legs, chicken, turkey,
> roast pork, prawns and oysters and of course the Xmas ham. He made at
> least a dozen different salads, stuffings, salad dressings etc. He did the
> traditional boiled pudding with custard but my mother lost the plot. She
> was so distressed she nearly fainted. For all the years until dementia
> took over she groused about that unfortunate Xmas... :)

Our Christmas meals are never traditional. We often go out to eat because
it is impossible to come up with one meal we can/will all eat. I would love
to have tamales because apparently that is traditional for some families.
And we love tamales. I have seen some available online that are shipped on
ice. You have to order them really early. Well now that I have that
freezer, I think I might just do that. We would have them on Christmas day.
My mom flat out refuses to try a tamale saying she hated them in her youth.
Apparently there was a vendor who traveled the streets near where her dad
worked and he always bought tamales for them. She said the meat was
horrible. Well these days you can get all sorts of fillings. But she is
stubborn and I know I could never get her to try one.

Storrmmee 22-09-2011 07:24 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

i want to say that portion control throughout the year is really the key to
any successful way of eating, and moving your plan in a slow and steady
towards what you want to have for a permant plan is the way, substituting
low carb for the bread and adding more of the traditional vegetables to the
stuffing is a good place to start, Lee

Janet 22-09-2011 03:26 PM

Thanksgiving dinner

HonoluluSprite wrote:
> I'm sure you have talked about this a million times but I am new here
> and to this whole world. My husband's whole family is either at this
> stage or on their way to being T2, husband included!
>
> I found a cranberry sauce for diabetics but what about everything
> else? Margarine instead of butter?

As everyone has said, no need to make this horrible substitution. <G>
Better to look at methods of cooking where you can use olive oil, if you are
worried about lipid profiles.

> All starches (potatoes, rice, stuffing, macaroni) and fats like mayo
> and butter.

Starches are a problem, fats are not.

> Advice? Anyone? Sorry for taking up space on your board!

Last year, my first as a diabetic, I made a pumpkin cheesecake (no crust)
using artificial sweetener, so that there would be SOME dessert I could eat.
It was good, except that it was much too sweet. Definitely do NOT sub Spenda
in equal amounts for sugar, in my experience! Lots of people here use
xylitol combined with other things such as Sweetzfree liquid, which I
believe is the sweetener in Splenda without the carby filler.

I love, and so does everyone else in the family, green vegetables such as
roasted brussels sprouts (only olive oil), or brussels sprouts browned in
butter. You can make creamed spinach without flour, if you like that. (I
love it.) I have a couple of excellent sweet potato dishes that were in my
Thanksgiving repertoire for years and are less of a problem for diabetics
than mashed potatoes: one is made with bourbon or sherry, butter, and
nutmeg, the other is actually fat free, with orange and lemon zest, fresh
ginger, cinnamon, and perhaps a little orange juice. Mashed turnip is
another diabetic-friendly vegetable. You can have it with just butter and
S&P, or add some sliced onions and apple caramelized in butter and oil and
puree the mixture in the food processor. (You can add a small amount of meat
or vegetable stock to the latter while pureeing. This is a potatoless
version of a dish I love called Himmel Und Erde.)

If you have some good stock at hand, you can make a delicious gravy by
deglazing the turkey pan with wine or brandy, adding the stock, and reducing
it, adjust the S&P, maybe grate in a little fresh nutmeg, then finish with a
little heavy cream if desired. A quick way to achieve a good stock, if you
are not the kind of person who makes your own and has it on hand, is to
throw the turkey neck in a pot with a quart or more of good bought stock,
like Wolfgang Puck's or Kitchen Basics, plus the leafy ends of a couple
sticks of celery, a bay leaf, a clove of garlic, and maybe a small onion
stuck with a clove or two and a small scraped carrot. Let it simmer,
partially covered--never fully cover a stock--on a back burner while you are
prepping and cooking the turkey.

Personally, I cook the giblets for the dogs, I don't pollute the gravy with
them. <G>

Storrmmee 22-09-2011 06:15 PM

Thanksgiving dinner

those potato recipes would gratefully received, Lee

KROM 22-09-2011 11:07 PM

Thanksgiving dinner

rosemary and sage are the two flavors I associate most with
thanksgiving..well the mains and cinnamon and ginger for the desserts.

KROM

W. Baker 23-09-2011 12:43 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

KROM > wrote:
: <droool>

: evil thing to read first thing waking up and hungry!..lol

: I live in the city and in fact think they banned doing that here..was too
: many garages etc being burned down..lol

: but I have had it and it is the best!

: of course a properly smoked turkey isn't to shabby either...

: mmm...turkey...

: guess I will have to pretend these scrambled egg whites are
: turkey...lol...maybe if I sprinkle some sage on em...

: KROM

I just love my own roast turkey, but now that I am alone, I am not about
to roast a whole bird just for me. I have been buying turkey parts,
apair of legs, a thigh or occasionally a half a breat or some wings and
roast the single package that gives me, generally enoug for a couple of
days. I do the full seasoning and even make a bit of my thin gravy that I
love. It makes for a nice treat meal. I go to amy son's huse for
Thanksgiving now, would prefer to still be making the dinner.

Wendy

Storrmmee 23-09-2011 12:52 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

if you did the turkey rolls dh does it freezes so easily but then all turkey
freeses easily... i can't ever get enough of it, when its on sale during
holiday season, the majority of our freezer was filled in the bottom with
them... he could cook one a month and it would fine with me. Lee

Susan[_6_] 23-09-2011 01:01 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

x-no-archive: yues

On 9/22/2011 7:52 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> if you did the turkey rolls dh does it freezes so easily but then all turkey
> freeses easily... i can't ever get enough of it, when its on sale during
> holiday season, the majority of our freezer was filled in the bottom with
> them... he could cook one a month and it would fine with me. Lee

You're talking about processed turkey rolls????

Please say it ain't so.

Susan

Julie Bove[_2_] 23-09-2011 01:32 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

"Susan" > wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yues
>
> On 9/22/2011 7:52 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> if you did the turkey rolls dh does it freezes so easily but then all
>> turkey
>> freeses easily... i can't ever get enough of it, when its on sale during
>> holiday season, the majority of our freezer was filled in the bottom with
>> them... he could cook one a month and it would fine with me. Lee

> You're talking about processed turkey rolls????
>
> Please say it ain't so.

I grew on eating that crap. If it is what I think it is. My mom would buy
a pan that was made of foil and in it were these round pieces of meat in
gravy. Some were light colored and some were dark and there were tiny cubes
of what I suspect were Giblets. She hadn't yet discovered instant mashed
potatoes or surely those would have gone along with. No stuffing. Is it
any wonder I preferred to go out to eat on Thanksgiving?

My friend said her mom served it to them as well but not for holiday meals.
Just for "in a hurry" meals. But I still think that stuff took a good two
house to cook.

Storrmmee 23-09-2011 02:48 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

if you had to eat those rolls for turkey day its a wonder you ever ate
meat... wasn't it here where i put the directions of how dh makes turkey
rolls? Lee

Julie Bove[_2_] 23-09-2011 03:15 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> if you had to eat those rolls for turkey day its a wonder you ever ate
> meat... wasn't it here where i put the directions of how dh makes turkey
> rolls? Lee

If you did, I don't remember.

My mom was and still is a big fan of quick to prepare food. Any sauce or
gravy that we had growing up mostly came from a packet. She made spaghetti
sauce like that. She uses packets to make chili and soup. Packets for
gravy.

If you look in my cupboards you will find only one packet. And only because
Angela picked it up. It's for making chicken fajitas. It made her happy so
I bought it. But in my mind there is no need for such things.

The thing that really gets me are the little single serve packets of spices.
I am not sure what all they are used for but I have seen them advertised and
have seen them in the store. I suppose such a thing might be worthwhile if
you were staying in a motel/hotel with a kitchen for a night or three and
wanted to do some cooking. But... It is certainly far cheaper to buy the
single spices on their own. Yes, I do buy some mixes but big bottles.
Italian seasoning is one I use a lot of. I also have Greek, taco, Herbamare
and one other kind of seasoning salt.

Seasoning salt was another big thing that my mom used a lot of. I think she
uses Lawry's. She showed me how to make the sausage gravy and she put that
in. Eek! Mine wasn't coming out right because I was making the gravy first
then trying to add the cooked meat to it. Instead of the other way around.
Because I was making the gravy first, there was too much fat in it. The
other thing she does that I would never do is pat all of the grease out of
the sausage then put some back in using margarine. Why?

Ozgirl 23-09-2011 03:25 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

"KROM" > wrote in message
> rosemary and sage are the two flavors I associate most with
> thanksgiving..well the mains and cinnamon and ginger for the desserts.

In your pumpkin pie? I have never had pumpkin pie..

Cheri[_3_] 23-09-2011 03:30 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "KROM" > wrote in message
>> rosemary and sage are the two flavors I associate most with
>> thanksgiving..well the mains and cinnamon and ginger for the desserts.

> In your pumpkin pie? I have never had pumpkin pie..

If you make it with sweet potatoes it tastes very much the same as pumpkin.

Cheri

Ozgirl 23-09-2011 03:30 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> KROM > wrote:
> : <droool>
>
> : evil thing to read first thing waking up and hungry!..lol
>
> : I live in the city and in fact think they banned doing that
> here..was too
> : many garages etc being burned down..lol
>
> : but I have had it and it is the best!
>
> : of course a properly smoked turkey isn't to shabby either...
>
> : mmm...turkey...
>
> : guess I will have to pretend these scrambled egg whites are
> : turkey...lol...maybe if I sprinkle some sage on em...
>
> : KROM
>
> I just love my own roast turkey, but now that I am alone, I am not
> about
> to roast a whole bird just for me. I have been buying turkey parts,
> apair of legs, a thigh or occasionally a half a breat or some wings
> and
> roast the single package that gives me, generally enoug for a couple
> of
> days. I do the full seasoning and even make a bit of my thin gravy
> that I
> love. It makes for a nice treat meal. I go to amy son's huse for
> Thanksgiving now, would prefer to still be making the dinner.
>
> Wendy

I used to be able to buy self basting turkey hindquarters. They were
around $11 and came frozen, packaged by one of our chicken companies.
Just the right size for me and the kids when they were younger and not
much in the leftover line, enough for a couple of meals with salad for
me. I haven't seen them for a while. I am loving being able to buy
turkey shanks here at the moment. I get 4 for about $10 and they are
very meaty. Whole turkeys here are rather small, more than adequate for
us, there are a few larger ones available around Xmas time though.

goodfood 23-09-2011 06:30 AM

We are an easy-to-use on-line ordering system for the food service industry, giving you access to wholesale food suppliers anywhere in mainland Australia and Tasmania. Our suppliers range from wholesale gourmet food, wholesale cafe food, wholesale organic food, wholesale nougat, wholesale flour, wholesale gluten free products, wholesale packaging and much more.

Storrmmee 23-09-2011 08:49 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

my mom cooked mostly fron scratch, her family had very little growing up so
store bought things weren't done. she cooked very little when she married
my dad but she learned from his mom, she was married to my father and had
just had my older brother when she first saw spaghetti...

I can post about how to make turkey rolls if anyone is interested, it also
works with chicken, Lee

W. Baker 23-09-2011 06:25 PM

Thanksgiving dinner

Julie Bove > wrote:

: The thing that really gets me are the little single serve packets of spices.
: I am not sure what all they are used for but I have seen them advertised and
: have seen them in the store. I suppose such a thing might be worthwhile if
: you were staying in a motel/hotel with a kitchen for a night or three and
: wanted to do some cooking. But... It is certainly far cheaper to buy the
: single spices on their own. Yes, I do buy some mixes but big bottles.
: Italian seasoning is one I use a lot of. I also have Greek, taco, Herbamare
: and one other kind of seasoning salt.

: Seasoning salt was another big thing that my mom used a lot of. I think she
: uses Lawry's.

I used to use that as a handy all purpoes seasong for meat, fish, etc.

Those little spice packs for a specific dish are designed for people who
are insecure about making a dish and getting the spices right, or are not
sure they will want to make it again, so why buy a whole jare, measure
out 1 tsp and then never use it again. It's not for me, but I can see
the point if you are not sure about the taste, or your ability to make a
dish using more spices that n yuare used to.

W. Baker 23-09-2011 06:35 PM

Thanksgiving dinner

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "KROM" > wrote in message
: ...
: > rosemary and sage are the two flavors I associate most with
: > thanksgiving..well the mains and cinnamon and ginger for the desserts.

: In your pumpkin pie? I have never had pumpkin pie..

Pumpkin pie is made with the puree of the flesh of the winter squash we,
in the US call pumpkin. SOme use the Jack'O'Lantern variety, but a
variety called sugar pumpki is preferred. It is also available in cans,
all pureed, or even as a prepared filling(chich is full of carbs). The
plain puree is what I use and it is maade into a custard pie filling with
eggs, milk or cream, sugar, sometimes a touch of flour and cinnamon as the
predominant flavvor. I like a little powdered giner, touch of cloves(not
too much) to add some zip. Of course, when I make it for Thanksgiving I
can't use milk, so use soy milk and Splenda. Essentially, I use either
the recipe on the can, making my substitutions, or an amalgum of a few
recipe I have in assorted book. Never quite the same each time.

It is a big tradition for US thanksgiving. I still make it and my apple
pie and bring it to my Son's wife, who is an excellent cook, but not a
baker(although it is her last name now:-)

Wendy

Storrmmee 23-09-2011 08:20 PM

Thanksgiving dinner

ok will do in a seperate thread, Lee

KROM 23-09-2011 09:48 PM

Thanksgiving dinner

yes I like to make what I call a xmas spice mix that has
cinnamon/cloves/nutmeg/ginger/allspice..its good in most all desserts I make
that time of year.

same with sage its a seasoning I only use for turkey even though its great
on chicken..it just makes it more special.

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote ...

KROM 23-09-2011 09:51 PM

Thanksgiving dinner

yep I will use sweet potato the same as pumpkin...doesnt really matter to
me which I use both are equally good

KROM

KROM 23-09-2011 09:55 PM

Thanksgiving dinner

so why not ask that every couple of years they let you make the meal at
their house if you wish I am sure they wouldnt mind taking a year off every
now and then...would be special

KROM

W. Baker 23-09-2011 10:55 PM

Thanksgiving dinner

KROM > wrote:
: so why not ask that every couple of years they let you make the meal at
: their house if you wish I am sure they wouldn?t mind taking a year off every
: now and then...would be special

: KROM

No way I ould work in their kitchen. I may not be wildly neat, but o
boy!!!

Wendy

Cheri[_3_] 23-09-2011 11:02 PM

Thanksgiving dinner

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> KROM > wrote:
> : so why not ask that every couple of years they let you make the meal at
> : their house if you wish I am sure they wouldn?t mind taking a year off
> every
> : now and then...would be special
>

> : KROM
>
> No way I ould work in their kitchen. I may not be wildly neat, but o
> boy!!!

Personally, I'm glad to give all those huge parties over to the younger
crowd now. I am loving it, and have earned the rest. :-)

Cheri

Evelyn 24-09-2011 12:17 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 15:02:52 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> KROM > wrote:
>> : so why not ask that every couple of years they let you make the meal at
>> : their house if you wish I am sure they wouldn?t mind taking a year off
>> every
>> : now and then...would be special
>>

>> : KROM
>>
>> No way I ould work in their kitchen. I may not be wildly neat, but o
>> boy!!!

>Personally, I'm glad to give all those huge parties over to the younger
>crowd now. I am loving it, and have earned the rest. :-)
>
>Cheri

I go out or to the kids. My days of big thanksgiving dinners at home
are over, thank goodness. I don't quite want to say never again, but
I would prefer not to have to do it anymore.

Evelyn

Ozgirl 24-09-2011 01:11 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> KROM > wrote:
>> : so why not ask that every couple of years they let you make the
>> meal at
>> : their house if you wish I am sure they wouldn?t mind taking a year
>> off every
>> : now and then...would be special
>>

>> : KROM
>>
>> No way I ould work in their kitchen. I may not be wildly neat, but o
>> boy!!!

> Personally, I'm glad to give all those huge parties over to the
> younger crowd now. I am loving it, and have earned the rest. :-)
>
> Cheri

Me too, I have done my bit over the years.

Cheri[_3_] 24-09-2011 01:45 AM

Thanksgiving dinner

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 15:02:52 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> KROM > wrote:
>>> : so why not ask that every couple of years they let you make the meal
>>> at
>>> : their house if you wish I am sure they wouldn?t mind taking a year off
>>> every
>>> : now and then...would be special
>>>

>>> : KROM
>>>
>>> No way I ould work in their kitchen. I may not be wildly neat, but o
>>> boy!!!

>>Personally, I'm glad to give all those huge parties over to the younger
>>crowd now. I am loving it, and have earned the rest. :-)
>>
>>Cheri

> I go out or to the kids. My days of big thanksgiving dinners at home
> are over, thank goodness. I don't quite want to say never again, but
> I would prefer not to have to do it anymore.
>
> Evelyn

Yes, I want to choose instead of just automatically at Mom's/Grandma's. :-)

Cheri