FoodBanter.com

-   -   Menu for diarrhea? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/411232-menu-diarrhea.html)

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 02:23 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

Angela is sick. I don't know what is going on. She restarted the Metformin
and is now up to 2 pills per day. Will up it to 3 tomorrow. That will be
1,500.

It started with diarrhea but I don't really think this is from the Metformin
because she took that dose for many days with no problem. She was also very
tired, cranky and had an ear ache, sore throat and runny nose

She already had a Drs. appointment for the follow-up on her hand/arm twitch
which had resolved. So we mentioned the other symptoms.

Dr. said she had a slightly red and swollen ear and wasn't going to do
anything about it. Said that things like this resolve on their own in kids
her age. I pointed out that the last ear infection did not resolve itself.
It started in May and kept going until June!

So she prescribed Azytrhromycin but said not to give it to her unless she
got a fever. I did anyway. But not right away. I waited 2 days until she
was screaming with ear pain. I didn't actually take her temperature because
I still do not have an accurate thermometer and refuse to keep buying them.
I have bought dozens over the years. They will show us with a fever and
then we will go to the Dr. and be found to have a normal temperature. Or
they show us with no fever and the Dr. says we have one! Anyway she went
from feeling chilled (it was a warm day) to sweating (and by then it had
cooled off). She felt hot to the touch. So that was on Sunday. She was
also sleeping a lot. I had to wake her. And she was going to bed early.
Neither thing is like her.

She missed school on Friday. I didn't really believe she was sick at first.
She said she had diarrhea and complained of the ear, throat and runny nose.
Got right back in bed and ate nothing that day but a few bites of cereal and
only because I told her she had to eat something.

Since then she has eaten little. Was having one bout of diarrhea a day.
Seemed to resolve with a store brand Imodium. But then late last night she
got up from bed, almost crying from stomach pain. Severe diarrhea! Took
the maximum dose of the store brand Imodium which is 4 pills. First 2, then
1 then another 1. She stayed up, hovering over a bowl not sure which way
she was going to get sick. I finally gave her a can of diet ginger ale and
then she felt a bit better.

I debated taking her to the Dr. again today but so far no diarrhea. However
she says she does feel sick to her stomach.

Her Endo. is not in on Tuesdays. Apparently he is there early in the
morning for some kind of appointment but then he leaves. I don't know if he
does surgery or what but he does not answer calls today. So I didn't bother
trying to call to see if this stomach stuff could be from the Metformin.
But the family practitioner she saw didn't seem to think so. Her
pediatrician was booked up so she saw another Dr.

She really hasn't been eating much. She had some gluten free fish sticks
for breakfast and I made her a small amount of plain white rice for lunch.
Neither of these things are low carb, I know. We may have some yogurt.
Not sure but if we do it will be the flavored kind. She won't eat plain. I
am not sure about giving her toast. She can't eat regular bread. Normally
she eats some made of corn flour which would be bad. I just got the new
order. There is some made of tapioca. Would that work for her problem? I
do have a few slices of some mixed grain, high fiber stuff. I know that
would be bad. We do have all kinds of applesauce. No bananas in the house.
I do have a couple of chicken breasts I could cook, plenty of canned
chicken, chicken broth and also rice pasta.

At this point I think I am going to worry less about carbs and just try to
get her well. Because of her missing 3 days of school she is now flunking
history because she missed a test. They are making it super hard this year
for kids who are absent to make up work! Her math teacher was putting their
assignments online but then she suddenly stopped. So I don't know if she
was sick or what. Angela said tons of kids have been sick.

So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally eat low
carb .

Thanks!

Ozgirl 21-09-2011 02:46 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> Would that work for her problem? I do have a few slices of some mixed
> grain, high fiber stuff. I know that would be bad. We do have all
> kinds of applesauce. No bananas in the house. I do have a couple of
> chicken breasts I could cook, plenty of canned chicken, chicken broth
> and also rice pasta.
>
> At this point I think I am going to worry less about carbs and just
> try to get her well. Because of her missing 3 days of school she is
> now flunking history because she missed a test. They are making it
> super hard this year for kids who are absent to make up work! Her
> math teacher was putting their assignments online but then she
> suddenly stopped. So I don't know if she was sick or what. Angela
> said tons of kids have been sick.
>
> So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally eat

My mother always gave us grated apple. FWIW none of my kids, even as
teenagers have ever thrown off an ear infection by themselves. My 16
year old has had two in the past few months with a heavy cold. Every
cold we seem to get lately comes with upset stomach as well. Avoid
yoghurt, toast should be ok. Things like milk products and fats often
make stomach upsets worse and more prolonged. I usually stop all
medications when I have upset stomach as well.

Before antibiotics ear infections often led to mastoiditis. Why would a
doctor think that process has changed?

Janet Wilder[_1_] 21-09-2011 02:59 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

On 9/20/2011 8:23 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]
> order. There is some made of tapioca. Would that work for her problem? I
> do have a few slices of some mixed grain, high fiber stuff. I know that
> would be bad. We do have all kinds of applesauce. No bananas in the house.
> I do have a couple of chicken breasts I could cook, plenty of canned
> chicken, chicken broth and also rice pasta.
>
> At this point I think I am going to worry less about carbs and just try to
> get her well. Because of her missing 3 days of school she is now flunking
> history because she missed a test. They are making it super hard this year
> for kids who are absent to make up work! Her math teacher was putting their
> assignments online but then she suddenly stopped. So I don't know if she
> was sick or what. Angela said tons of kids have been sick.
>
> So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally eat low

It is very possible that the diarrhea is from the antibiotics. The
strong ones often kill the good bacteria in the colon. If that is the
case, yogurt is what is recommended. To avoid high carbs, look for one
of the Greek yogurts. Fage brand is fairly low in carbs. They have one
that is 0% fat. If you want to sweeten it, use a tablespoon of jam or
preserves. Don't use sugar-free jam if it contains any sweeteners that
have sugar alcohols as they can make the diarrhea worse.

The most important thing is to keep her hydrated. Lots of clear fluids.
Water, tea (the tannin in strong tea can sooth an upset stomach),
Crystal Light, clear broths, sugar-free jello (watch for sugar
alcohols). If you can find a sugar-free sports drink, like Gatorade,
that will help replace electrolites. I don't know if they make Pedialite
without a lot of sugar.

If she is still running high fevers and can't hold down Tylenol, put her
in the bath tub with warm (cooler than normal bath temp, but not cool)
water and pour it over her body with a bowl or large cup. That will help
cool her down.

And, Julie, I am being kind in giving you some advice. Please do not
come back and tell me why you can't follow it. I'm really more interest
in your child getting well than I am in your excuses. Thanks.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 03:06 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

Ozgirl wrote:
> [...]
>> math teacher was putting their assignments online but then she
>> suddenly stopped. So I don't know if she was sick or what. Angela
>> said tons of kids have been sick.
>>
>> So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally eat
>> low carb .

> My mother always gave us grated apple. FWIW none of my kids, even as
> teenagers have ever thrown off an ear infection by themselves. My 16
> year old has had two in the past few months with a heavy cold. Every
> cold we seem to get lately comes with upset stomach as well. Avoid
> yoghurt, toast should be ok. Things like milk products and fats often
> make stomach upsets worse and more prolonged. I usually stop all
> medications when I have upset stomach as well.
>
> Before antibiotics ear infections often led to mastoiditis. Why would
> a doctor think that process has changed?

I wasn't sure about the yogurt because they usually tell her to eat it with
the antibiotics.

As for the ear infections, I don't know why they say that but they all seem
to. Angela was once at the ER where the Dr. said she had a raging ear
infection but he did nothing about it. I think that was the time she wound
up going to my ENT who did prescribe something. For the ear infection prior
they only gave her drops for pain which did nothing at all. I think she
made three trips to the Dr. before they would prescribe something. They
always think it will resolve in its own.

The thing I have had that I have sometimes gotten to resolve is a fungal
infection in the ear. Sometimes if I catch it right away and keep treating
it with half rubbing alcohol and half white vinegar I can kill it. But only
sometimes. Sometimes it just makes it worse by keeping it slightly at bay
and then as soon as I stop using the drops it rapidly mulitplies.

I am going out to buy her some rice cakes. She will need something in her
lunch. I hope, hope, hope she can go to school tomorrow!

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 03:12 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

Janet Wilder wrote:
> [...]
>> it super hard this year for kids who are absent to make up work! Her math
>> teacher was putting their assignments online but then she
>> suddenly stopped. So I don't know if she was sick or what. Angela
>> said tons of kids have been sick. So what do you eat when you have
>> diarrhea? Assuming you normally
>> eat low carb .
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> It is very possible that the diarrhea is from the antibiotics. The
> strong ones often kill the good bacteria in the colon. If that is the
> case, yogurt is what is recommended. To avoid high carbs, look for one
> of the Greek yogurts. Fage brand is fairly low in carbs. They have
> one that is 0% fat. If you want to sweeten it, use a tablespoon of
> jam or preserves. Don't use sugar-free jam if it contains any
> sweeteners that have sugar alcohols as they can make the diarrhea

She will not eat Greek. I bought some once. It almost made her vomit. She
couldn't bring herself to swallow it. She also won't eat jam or preserves.
The only thing like that I ever keep in the house is some sugar free
strawberry and since I eat it on peanut butter sandwiches it wouldn't be
safe for her to eat. I don't worry about cross contamination with it
because she has never shown an interest in eating it. She won't eat
anything with pieces of fruit in it. There are no sugar alcohols in this
stuff. But I also can't get any more because the health food store closed
about an hour ago.

> The most important thing is to keep her hydrated. Lots of clear
> fluids. Water, tea (the tannin in strong tea can sooth an upset
> stomach), Crystal Light, clear broths, sugar-free jello (watch for
> sugar alcohols). If you can find a sugar-free sports drink, like
> Gatorade, that will help replace electrolites. I don't know if they
> make Pedialite without a lot of sugar.

She does have sugar free sports drinks. Won't eat Jell-O and the only tea
she will drink is green. I do have broth though.

> If she is still running high fevers and can't hold down Tylenol, put
> her in the bath tub with warm (cooler than normal bath temp, but not
> cool) water and pour it over her body with a bowl or large cup. That
> will help cool her down.

She doesn't have a high fever. At least I don't think so.

> And, Julie, I am being kind in giving you some advice. Please do not
> come back and tell me why you can't follow it. I'm really more
> interest in your child getting well than I am in your excuses. Thanks.

Sorry, I already did. That's just how I am.

Ozgirl 21-09-2011 03:12 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>> said tons of kids have been sick.
>>>
>>> So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally
>>> eat
>>> low carb .

>> My mother always gave us grated apple. FWIW none of my kids, even as
>> teenagers have ever thrown off an ear infection by themselves. My 16
>> year old has had two in the past few months with a heavy cold. Every
>> cold we seem to get lately comes with upset stomach as well. Avoid
>> yoghurt, toast should be ok. Things like milk products and fats often
>> make stomach upsets worse and more prolonged. I usually stop all
>> medications when I have upset stomach as well.
>>
>> Before antibiotics ear infections often led to mastoiditis. Why would
>> a doctor think that process has changed?

> I wasn't sure about the yogurt because they usually tell her to eat it

Which is ok usually but with diarrhoea it can exacerbate it. I like
probiotic capsules.

Janet 21-09-2011 03:36 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

Julie Bove wrote:

<snip>

> So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally eat
> low carb .
>
> Thanks!

I just take OTC Immodium.

For dogs, the usual recommendation is white rice mixed with a bit of some
kind of plain, comparatively low fat meat, such as cooked and drained ground
beef or chicken.

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds 21-09-2011 04:11 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> Metformin

Metformin may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are
severe, do not go away, go away and come back, or do not begin for some time
after you begin taking metformin:

€ diarrhea

€ bloating
€ stomach pain
€ gas
€ constipation
€ unpleasant metallic taste in mouth
€ heartburn
€ headache
€ sneezing
€ cough
€ runny nose
€ flushing of the skin
€ nail changes
€ muscle pain

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 05:04 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Ozgirl wrote:

>>> My mother always gave us grated apple. FWIW none of my kids, even as
>>> teenagers have ever thrown off an ear infection by themselves. My 16
>>> year old has had two in the past few months with a heavy cold. Every
>>> cold we seem to get lately comes with upset stomach as well. Avoid
>>> yoghurt, toast should be ok. Things like milk products and fats often
>>> make stomach upsets worse and more prolonged. I usually stop all
>>> medications when I have upset stomach as well.
>>>
>>> Before antibiotics ear infections often led to mastoiditis. Why would
>>> a doctor think that process has changed?

>> I wasn't sure about the yogurt because they usually tell her to eat it
>> with the antibiotics.

> Which is ok usually but with diarrhoea it can exacerbate it. I like
> probiotic capsules.

I've been giving her those too.

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 05:06 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally eat
>> low carb .
>>
>> Thanks!

> I just take OTC Immodium.

She has been taking that but as of yesterday it was severe. So far so good
on that front today but she has terrible stomach pains. At least we know it
isn't her appendix because that has been removed.

Storrmmee 21-09-2011 08:52 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

as you know i try to eat moderate carb, to the healthy and more complex...
but when i am in this situation often its something to go down there and
collect the ick... rice, which for me would be brown, warm tapioca pudding,
and warm jello... also remember to keep her hydrated, truth is its almost
more important to get the liquids in than make the stool... also watch her
electrolights, but if she is carb sensitive she won't probably do well with
a banana, Lee

Storrmmee 21-09-2011 09:01 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

I can't remember for sure julie, if she will eat brown rice, get some of
that cooked in chicken broth, then put in some of that shredded chicken she
lkes and if she likes gravy sauces one of those gluton free jobs stir it up
and give her to eat in small amounts... and just warm not hot or too cool,

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 09:34 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>I can't remember for sure julie, if she will eat brown rice, get some of
>that cooked in chicken broth, then put in some of that shredded chicken she
>lkes and if she likes gravy sauces one of those gluton free jobs stir it up
>and give her to eat in small amounts... and just warm not hot or too cool,
>Lee

She usually won't eat brown rice but we have tried a mix recently that is
white, brown and vegetables. Not good for now I know.

We were just in the ER. The Dr. thinks it is gastritis. I will have to
look up the term. She was given some Maalox with Lidocaine in it and it
took her pain level (on a scale of 1 to 10) from a 9 to a 1. Her labs all
came back normal. BG was 75.

He told me to stop the antibiotic because her ears look clear now. And to
back the Metformin off to 500 mg for a few days then increase it. If the D
comes back I need to call the Endo.

He prescribed Protonix for 2 weeks. I hope she doesn't need to go on that
all the time because all of those types of meds made me very sick.
Increased my GERD something fierce and caused migraines and bizarre dreams.
But perhaps she will need the med only for 2 weeks.

He said for her not to eat spicy foods and no caffeine. She said that she
doesn't eat spicy foods but I'm not so sure about that. Yesterday she
wanted some steak for dinner. It is a Sukiyaki cut so it cooks in just a
minute or three. Then I put a little drizzle of Heinz 57 on it, mixed it
through and served it. She had it with the rice and veggies. I don't think
I've ever eaten Heinz 57 but I think it is spicy. I could be wrong though.

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 09:40 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> as you know i try to eat moderate carb, to the healthy and more complex...
> but when i am in this situation often its something to go down there and
> collect the ick... rice, which for me would be brown, warm tapioca
> pudding, and warm jello... also remember to keep her hydrated, truth is
> its almost more important to get the liquids in than make the stool...
> also watch her electrolights, but if she is carb sensitive she won't
> probably do well with a banana, Lee

I was in such a hurry to leave and get to the store that I totally forgot to
give her the meds. All I gave her for dinner was a small bowl of rice
pasta. I didn't have any white rice in the house. This was imported from
Italy so I couldn't read all of it. But it said something about adding the
germ back in. And it was 2g of fiber per serving which seemed to be less
than the brown rice pasta we had.

At the store I bought her rice cakes, rice crackers, rice chips and some
white rice bread. Because she needed to eat with the meds I gave her a
sandwich of thinly sliced chicken breast on the plain white rice bread,
toasted. She loved it! But I told her she could not be eating that sort of
bread all the time because it has the same amount of carbs as regular wheat
bread. It didn't seem to raise her BG though because she tested at 75 at
the ER.

Now I am cranky because I didn't think to bring any food or my meds to the
ER. I should have had my bedtime snack 38 minutes ago but I didn't. And I
won't get the food for a while because I took my Carafate when I first came
in and it takes an hour before I can eat. I just hope I don't go hypo
before then. My numbers were down prior to and after dinner. Not too low
but much down from what they had been running.

Ozgirl 21-09-2011 10:10 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> I can't remember for sure julie, if she will eat brown rice, get some
> of that cooked in chicken broth, then put in some of that shredded
> chicken she lkes and if she likes gravy sauces one of those gluton
> free jobs stir it up and give her to eat in small amounts... and just
> warm not hot or too cool, Lee

I read that brown rice has the same glycemic load as white. May as well
go for the white if using rice at all - in my experience most kids
prefer white rice. I was told years ago that there are (amongst other
things) 3 food items that pretty much most people can tolerate when
allergic and they are rice, pears and lamb. I think more liquid intake
is needed if you are running to the toilet frequently. If it has settled
down to only needing to go after eating then in my opinion liquids can
be lessened a bit. My 20 year old had the trots recently and I urged him
to keep drinking and he said nah, liquid makes liquid ;)

Ozgirl 21-09-2011 10:13 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> as you know i try to eat moderate carb, to the healthy and more
>> complex... but when i am in this situation often its something to go
>> down there and collect the ick... rice, which for me would be brown,
>> warm tapioca pudding, and warm jello... also remember to keep her
>> hydrated, truth is its almost more important to get the liquids in
>> than make the stool... also watch her electrolights, but if she is
>> carb sensitive she won't probably do well with a banana, Lee

> I was in such a hurry to leave and get to the store that I totally
> forgot to give her the meds. All I gave her for dinner was a small
> bowl of rice pasta. I didn't have any white rice in the house. This
> was imported from Italy so I couldn't read all of it. But it said
> something about adding the germ back in. And it was 2g of fiber per
> serving which seemed to be less than the brown rice pasta we had.
>
> At the store I bought her rice cakes, rice crackers, rice chips and
> some white rice bread. Because she needed to eat with the meds I gave
> her a sandwich of thinly sliced chicken breast on the plain white rice
> bread, toasted. She loved it! But I told her she could not be eating
> that sort of bread all the time because it has the same amount of
> carbs as regular wheat bread. It didn't seem to raise her BG though
> because she tested at 75 at the ER.
>
> Now I am cranky because I didn't think to bring any food or my meds to
> the ER. I should have had my bedtime snack 38 minutes ago but I
> didn't. And I won't get the food for a while because I took my
> Carafate when I first came in and it takes an hour before I can eat.
> I just hope I don't go hypo before then. My numbers were down prior
> to and after dinner. Not too low but much down from what they had
> been running.

As long as the carbs are spaced out I can't see that having a bit extra
bread will do much harm. If she tests well afterwards... Its not like
she is having the sandwiches one after another. Got to eat something.

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 10:29 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> as you know i try to eat moderate carb, to the healthy and more
>>> complex... but when i am in this situation often its something to go
>>> down there and collect the ick... rice, which for me would be brown,
>>> warm tapioca pudding, and warm jello... also remember to keep her
>>> hydrated, truth is its almost more important to get the liquids in than
>>> make the stool... also watch her electrolights, but if she is carb
>>> sensitive she won't probably do well with a banana, Lee

>> I was in such a hurry to leave and get to the store that I totally forgot
>> to give her the meds. All I gave her for dinner was a small bowl of rice
>> pasta. I didn't have any white rice in the house. This was imported
>> from Italy so I couldn't read all of it. But it said something about
>> adding the germ back in. And it was 2g of fiber per serving which seemed
>> to be less than the brown rice pasta we had.
>>
>> At the store I bought her rice cakes, rice crackers, rice chips and some
>> white rice bread. Because she needed to eat with the meds I gave her a
>> sandwich of thinly sliced chicken breast on the plain white rice bread,
>> toasted. She loved it! But I told her she could not be eating that sort
>> of bread all the time because it has the same amount of carbs as regular
>> wheat bread. It didn't seem to raise her BG though because she tested at
>> 75 at the ER.
>>
>> Now I am cranky because I didn't think to bring any food or my meds to
>> the ER. I should have had my bedtime snack 38 minutes ago but I didn't.
>> And I won't get the food for a while because I took my Carafate when I
>> first came in and it takes an hour before I can eat. I just hope I don't
>> go hypo before then. My numbers were down prior to and after dinner.
>> Not too low but much down from what they had been running.

> As long as the carbs are spaced out I can't see that having a bit extra
> bread will do much harm. If she tests well afterwards... Its not like she
> is having the sandwiches one after another. Got to eat something.

True.

Storrmmee 21-09-2011 01:13 PM

Menu for diarrhea?

not to me on the spicey scale for the 57 its sorta like a 1 or
worchestersher, sp, salty but not really spicey, Lee

Storrmmee 21-09-2011 01:16 PM

Menu for diarrhea?

i wanted her to eat the brown because of the nutritional value and the fact
that iirc it absorbs more liquid as it goes through so the stools won't be
so runny, at this point as you say its the liquids and electrolites that are
most important, Lee

Storrmmee 21-09-2011 01:20 PM

Menu for diarrhea?

and remember as we discuss here often she may not be sensitive to rice as
she is other things,... one of the things that was hardest for me to learn
was what did and didn't bother me, i can eat one whole banana with no
problem... but not two... my brother can't eat more than a couple of bites
or he is done in, He can eat a full serving of white potato no problem but
barely half a serving of any kind of rice, Lee

Janet Wilder[_1_] 21-09-2011 02:48 PM

Menu for diarrhea?

On 9/21/2011 7:20 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> and remember as we discuss here often she may not be sensitive to rice as
> she is other things,... one of the things that was hardest for me to learn
> was what did and didn't bother me, i can eat one whole banana with no
> problem... but not two... my brother can't eat more than a couple of bites
> or he is done in, He can eat a full serving of white potato no problem but
> barely half a serving of any kind of rice, Lee

My DH can eat a moderate serving of potato but does not deal well with
rice, either. We have been doing very small portions of brown rice as
suggested by his endo. 1/4 cup of cooked brown rice with an adequate
bolus seems to be working. I usually mix it with other veggies.

Tiger Lily 21-09-2011 04:28 PM

Menu for diarrhea?

ditto, Lee

i would compare it to HP sauce mixed with ketchup :D

kate

haleymcadams1 21-09-2011 04:59 PM

I suggest to get a second opinion in another doctor. Maybe a specialist like EENT where he/she can better explain what's happening to Angela.

Storrmmee 21-09-2011 05:29 PM

Menu for diarrhea?

it is just so fascinating to me that something that should be a
chenical/scientific thing varies so much by the person, like when you can
eat the carbs, i didn't test for that, but my brother says he simply can't
eat carbs in the morning, mid day to lat evening, but not when he gets up...
and really not at bedtime, Lee
eb.com...

Bjørn Steensrud 21-09-2011 08:12 PM

Menu for diarrhea?

Ozgirl wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Ozgirl wrote:

>>> My mother always gave us grated apple. FWIW none of my kids, even as
>>> teenagers have ever thrown off an ear infection by themselves. My 16
>>> year old has had two in the past few months with a heavy cold. Every
>>> cold we seem to get lately comes with upset stomach as well. Avoid
>>> yoghurt, toast should be ok. Things like milk products and fats often
>>> make stomach upsets worse and more prolonged. I usually stop all
>>> medications when I have upset stomach as well.
>>>
>>> Before antibiotics ear infections often led to mastoiditis. Why would
>>> a doctor think that process has changed?

>> I wasn't sure about the yogurt because they usually tell her to eat it
>> with the antibiotics.

> Which is ok usually but with diarrhoea it can exacerbate it. I like
> probiotic capsules.

Dried blueberries if you can get them. Or thaw out frozen blueberries and
dry them over low heat.

Strangely enough this works against diarrhea, while fresh blueberries are a
remedy for constipation. This is the European Vaccinium myrtillus, I don't
know if it holds for any of the 5 different North American species ...

From the net:
<quote>
Reportedly, dried blueberries have a long history of use in Sweden as a
treatment for diarrhea. Dr. Varro Tyler in his book, Herbs of Choice,
recommends either chewing dried blueberries or making a tea by boiling
crushed dried blueberries for about 10 minutes.

The helpfulness of blueberries for diarrhea appears to be due to the fact
that they contain tannins, which act as an astringent, contracting tissue
and reducing inflammation and secretion of liquids and mucus. Blueberries
also contain substances called anthocyanosides, which have antibacterial
properties, as well as being a good source of antioxidants. Lastly,
blueberries are another source of the soluble fiber pectin.
</quote>

There's a lot more out there, I searched for "dried blueberries diarrhea".

Peppermint Patootie 21-09-2011 08:13 PM

Menu for diarrhea?

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally eat low
> carb .
>
> Thanks!

When I'm gut sick like that I throw low-carb out the window because I
can't tolerate most of the low-carb foods. I go for plain boiled white
rice until I feel like something more. Last digestive virus I had I
think I ate plain white rice and drank ginger ale for three days. Of
course it was tiny bits at a time to start, and by the time I could eat
more I was cooking the rice in chicken stock, then adding bits of cooked
chicken.

I hope she feels betters soon!

Priscilla
- Chris Malcolm

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 10:07 PM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> ditto, Lee
>
> i would compare it to HP sauce mixed with ketchup :D
>
> kate

I don't even know what HP sauce is.

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 10:09 PM

Menu for diarrhea?

"haleymcadams1" > wrote in
message .. .

> I suggest to get a second opinion in another doctor. Maybe a specialist
> like EENT where he/she can better explain what's happening to Angela.

Well he gave her Maalox with Lidocaine in it and it took her pain down. He
said this was enough to determine what it is. The only thing we don't know
now is the cause.

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 10:09 PM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Bjørn Steensrud" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:

>>> I wasn't sure about the yogurt because they usually tell her to eat it
>>> with the antibiotics.

>> Which is ok usually but with diarrhoea it can exacerbate it. I like
>> probiotic capsules.

> Dried blueberries if you can get them. Or thaw out frozen blueberries and
> dry them over low heat.
>
> Strangely enough this works against diarrhea, while fresh blueberries are
> remedy for constipation. This is the European Vaccinium myrtillus, I don't
> know if it holds for any of the 5 different North American species ...
>
> From the net:
> <quote>
> Reportedly, dried blueberries have a long history of use in Sweden as a
> treatment for diarrhea. Dr. Varro Tyler in his book, Herbs of Choice,
> recommends either chewing dried blueberries or making a tea by boiling
> crushed dried blueberries for about 10 minutes.
>
> The helpfulness of blueberries for diarrhea appears to be due to the fact
> that they contain tannins, which act as an astringent, contracting tissue
> and reducing inflammation and secretion of liquids and mucus. Blueberries
> also contain substances called anthocyanosides, which have antibacterial
> properties, as well as being a good source of antioxidants. Lastly,
> blueberries are another source of the soluble fiber pectin.
> </quote>
>
> There's a lot more out there, I searched for "dried blueberries diarrhea".

Thanks but there is no way I could get her to eat blueberries. She likes
them as much as I do which is not at all.

Julie Bove[_2_] 21-09-2011 10:10 PM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally eat low
>> carb .
>>
>> Thanks!

> When I'm gut sick like that I throw low-carb out the window because I
> can't tolerate most of the low-carb foods. I go for plain boiled white
> rice until I feel like something more. Last digestive virus I had I
> think I ate plain white rice and drank ginger ale for three days. Of
> course it was tiny bits at a time to start, and by the time I could eat
> more I was cooking the rice in chicken stock, then adding bits of cooked
> chicken.
>
> I hope she feels betters soon!

Thanks! She was diagnosed with gastritis and is on treatment for that now.

Tiger Lily 22-09-2011 01:32 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

On 9/21/2011 3:07 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Tiger > wrote in message
>> ditto, Lee
>>
>> i would compare it to HP sauce mixed with ketchup :D
>>
>> kate
>>

> I don't even know what HP sauce is.

Oh, i see........ this is only a Cdn & the UK product

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce

kate

Ozgirl 22-09-2011 02:08 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> ditto, Lee
>>
>> i would compare it to HP sauce mixed with ketchup :D
>>
>> kate
>>

> I don't even know what HP sauce is.

Its very tasty bbq style sauce but unique. The Brits are up in arms at
the moment as the manufacturer's reduced the salt in accord with sodium
recommendations and apparently the flavour is no longer near the same.

W. Baker 22-09-2011 02:08 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

Tiger Lily > wrote:
: On 9/21/2011 3:07 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: > "Tiger > wrote in message
: > ...
: >> ditto, Lee
: >>
: >> i would compare it to HP sauce mixed with ketchup :D
: >>
: >> kate
: >>
: >
: > I don't even know what HP sauce is.
: >
: >

: Oh, i see........ this is only a Cdn & the UK product

: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce

: kate

I think i have seen HP sauce in markets around here in NYC, but I don't
use it so can't comment.

Wendy

Ozgirl 22-09-2011 02:11 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

Carb sensitivity is very common in the mornings for type 2's. Some can't
even have a few grams of it.

Ozgirl 22-09-2011 02:13 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"BjørnSteensrud" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:

>>> I wasn't sure about the yogurt because they usually tell her to eat
>>> it
>>> with the antibiotics.

>> Which is ok usually but with diarrhoea it can exacerbate it. I like
>> probiotic capsules.

> Dried blueberries if you can get them. Or thaw out frozen blueberries
> and
> dry them over low heat.
>
> Strangely enough this works against diarrhea, while fresh blueberries
> are a
> remedy for constipation. This is the European Vaccinium myrtillus, I
> don't
> know if it holds for any of the 5 different North American species ...
>
> From the net:
> <quote>
> Reportedly, dried blueberries have a long history of use in Sweden as
> treatment for diarrhea. Dr. Varro Tyler in his book, Herbs of Choice,
> recommends either chewing dried blueberries or making a tea by boiling
> crushed dried blueberries for about 10 minutes.
>
> The helpfulness of blueberries for diarrhea appears to be due to the
> fact
> that they contain tannins, which act as an astringent, contracting
> tissue
> and reducing inflammation and secretion of liquids and mucus.
> Blueberries
> also contain substances called anthocyanosides, which have
> antibacterial
> properties, as well as being a good source of antioxidants. Lastly,
> blueberries are another source of the soluble fiber pectin.
> </quote>
>
> There's a lot more out there, I searched for "dried blueberries
> diarrhea".

I like warmed up frozen blueberries over plain yoghurt as a "dessert"
snack. I don't particularly like fresh blueberries. If its the tannins
that are good then perhaps the green tea that Angela does like might be
good for part of her fluid intake.

Ozgirl 22-09-2011 02:14 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Bjørn Steensrud" > wrote in message
>> Ozgirl wrote:

>>> Which is ok usually but with diarrhoea it can exacerbate it. I like
>>> probiotic capsules.

>> Dried blueberries if you can get them. Or thaw out frozen blueberries
>> and
>> dry them over low heat.
>>
>> Strangely enough this works against diarrhea, while fresh blueberries
>> are a
>> remedy for constipation. This is the European Vaccinium myrtillus, I
>> don't
>> know if it holds for any of the 5 different North American species
>>
>> From the net:
>> <quote>
>> Reportedly, dried blueberries have a long history of use in Sweden as
>> treatment for diarrhea. Dr. Varro Tyler in his book, Herbs of Choice,
>> recommends either chewing dried blueberries or making a tea by
>> boiling
>> crushed dried blueberries for about 10 minutes.
>>
>> The helpfulness of blueberries for diarrhea appears to be due to the
>> fact
>> that they contain tannins, which act as an astringent, contracting
>> tissue
>> and reducing inflammation and secretion of liquids and mucus.
>> Blueberries
>> also contain substances called anthocyanosides, which have
>> antibacterial
>> properties, as well as being a good source of antioxidants. Lastly,
>> blueberries are another source of the soluble fiber pectin.
>> </quote>
>>
>> There's a lot more out there, I searched for "dried blueberries
>> diarrhea".

> Thanks but there is no way I could get her to eat blueberries. She
> likes them as much as I do which is not at all.

I think you either like them or not. Fresh blueberries I will always
bypass them if there is an alternative, frozen on the other hand I
really like.

Ozgirl 22-09-2011 02:17 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally eat
>> low
>> carb .
>>
>> Thanks!

> When I'm gut sick like that I throw low-carb out the window because I
> can't tolerate most of the low-carb foods. I go for plain boiled
> white
> rice until I feel like something more. Last digestive virus I had I
> think I ate plain white rice and drank ginger ale for three days. Of
> course it was tiny bits at a time to start, and by the time I could
> eat
> more I was cooking the rice in chicken stock, then adding bits of
> cooked
> chicken.
>
> I hope she feels betters soon!

Whenever I had stomach bugs in the past my bg would soar just like it
did with sinus infection. So it didn't really matter whether my first
foods were carb or not. I go for toast and vegemite (white bread as
fibre can be very irritating to an inflamed gut) as a first food
generally. Those small containers of KFC potato and gravy have always
stayed down well too. Or should I say gravy and potato, little potato in
them.

Ozgirl 22-09-2011 02:19 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally
>>> eat low
>>> carb .
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> When I'm gut sick like that I throw low-carb out the window because I
>> can't tolerate most of the low-carb foods. I go for plain boiled
>> white
>> rice until I feel like something more. Last digestive virus I had I
>> think I ate plain white rice and drank ginger ale for three days. Of
>> course it was tiny bits at a time to start, and by the time I could
>> eat
>> more I was cooking the rice in chicken stock, then adding bits of
>> cooked
>> chicken.
>>
>> I hope she feels betters soon!

> Thanks! She was diagnosed with gastritis and is on treatment for that
> now.

Has she stopped the Met while she is sick? Metformin can prolong
diarhoea, even if the cause of the illness is not the drug. When my ex
was on an ACE for bp he had a bit of the ACE cough at night but every
time he got a cold the dry cough would go on for weeks. Not so with the
ARB.

Julie Bove[_2_] 22-09-2011 05:43 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/21/2011 3:07 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Tiger > wrote in message
>>> ditto, Lee
>>>
>>> i would compare it to HP sauce mixed with ketchup :D
>>>
>>> kate
>>>

>> I don't even know what HP sauce is.
>>

> Oh, i see........ this is only a Cdn & the UK product
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce
>
> kate

Ah, okay. I have frequently read of brown sauce but wasn't really sure what
it was. I have seen recipes in old cookbooks but they really do vary a lot
as to what is in them and they never say what to use it on.

Julie Bove[_2_] 22-09-2011 05:45 AM

Menu for diarrhea?

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>>> ditto, Lee
>>>
>>> i would compare it to HP sauce mixed with ketchup :D
>>>
>>> kate
>>>

>> I don't even know what HP sauce is.

> Its very tasty bbq style sauce but unique. The Brits are up in arms at the
> moment as the manufacturer's reduced the salt in accord with sodium
> recommendations and apparently the flavour is no longer near the same.

I can not stand the taste of BBQ sauce and I found out my mom can't either
which could explain why I never had it as a child. Angela loves the stuff.
It is something I rarely have at home. Maybe a couple of times a year when
I get a coupon for it or find a really good sale. But they have little tubs
of it at Target and she gets it to dip a hot dog in (just the meat) or even
a few pieces of popcorn. Eek!