Old 22-09-2011, 06:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Menu for diarrhea?

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"BjørnSteensrud" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Angela is sick. I don't know what is going on. She restarted
the
Metformin and is now up to 2 pills per day. Will up it to 3
tomorrow. That will be 1,500.

It started with diarrhea but I don't really think this is from
the
Metformin because she took that dose for many days with no
problem.
She was also very tired, cranky and had an ear ache, sore throat
and
runny nose

She already had a Drs. appointment for the follow-up on her
hand/arm
twitch which had resolved. So we mentioned the other symptoms.

Dr. said she had a slightly red and swollen ear and wasn't going
do anything about it. Said that things like this resolve on
their
own in kids her age. I pointed out that the last ear infection
did
not resolve itself. It started in May and kept going until June!

So she prescribed Azytrhromycin but said not to give it to her
unless
she got a fever. I did anyway. But not right away. I waited 2
days
until she was screaming with ear pain. I didn't actually take
her
temperature because I still do not have an accurate thermometer
and
refuse to keep buying them. I have bought dozens over the years.
They will show us with a fever and then we will go to the Dr.
and be
found to have a normal temperature. Or they show us with no
fever
and the Dr. says we have one! Anyway she went from feeling
chilled
(it was a warm day) to sweating (and by then it had cooled off).
She
felt hot to the touch. So that was on Sunday. She was also
sleeping a lot. I had to wake her. And she was going to bed
early.
Neither thing is like her.

She missed school on Friday. I didn't really believe she was
sick
at
first. She said she had diarrhea and complained of the ear,
throat
and runny nose. Got right back in bed and ate nothing that day
but a
few bites of cereal and only because I told her she had to eat
something. Since then she has eaten little. Was having one bout
of
diarrhea a
day. Seemed to resolve with a store brand Imodium. But then
late
last night she got up from bed, almost crying from stomach pain.
Severe diarrhea! Took the maximum dose of the store brand
Imodium
which is 4 pills. First 2, then 1 then another 1. She stayed
up,
hovering over a bowl not sure which way she was going to get
sick. I
finally gave her a can of diet ginger ale and then she felt a
bit
better. I debated taking her to the Dr. again today but so far
no
diarrhea.
However she says she does feel sick to her stomach.

Her Endo. is not in on Tuesdays. Apparently he is there early
in
the
morning for some kind of appointment but then he leaves. I
don't
know if he does surgery or what but he does not answer calls
today.
So I didn't bother trying to call to see if this stomach stuff
could
be from the Metformin. But the family practitioner she saw
didn't
seem to think so. Her pediatrician was booked up so she saw
another
Dr. She really hasn't been eating much. She had some gluten
free
fish
sticks for breakfast and I made her a small amount of plain
white
rice for lunch. Neither of these things are low carb, I know.
We
may have some yogurt. Not sure but if we do it will be the
flavored
kind. She won't eat plain. I am not sure about giving her
toast.
She can't eat regular bread. Normally she eats some made of
corn
flour which would be bad. I just got the new order. There is
some
made of tapioca. Would that work for her problem? I do have a
few
slices of some mixed grain, high fiber stuff. I know that would
be
bad. We do have all kinds of applesauce. No bananas in the
house.
I do have a couple of chicken breasts I could cook, plenty of
canned
chicken, chicken broth and also rice pasta.

At this point I think I am going to worry less about carbs and
just
try to get her well. Because of her missing 3 days of school
she
is
now flunking history because she missed a test. They are making
it
super hard this year for kids who are absent to make up work!
Her
math teacher was putting their assignments online but then she
suddenly stopped. So I don't know if she was sick or what.
Angela
said tons of kids have been sick.

So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you
normally
eat
low carb .

My mother always gave us grated apple. FWIW none of my kids, even
as
teenagers have ever thrown off an ear infection by themselves. My
16
year old has had two in the past few months with a heavy cold.
Every
cold we seem to get lately comes with upset stomach as well.
Avoid
yoghurt, toast should be ok. Things like milk products and fats
often
make stomach upsets worse and more prolonged. I usually stop all
medications when I have upset stomach as well.

Before antibiotics ear infections often led to mastoiditis. Why
would
a doctor think that process has changed?

I wasn't sure about the yogurt because they usually tell her to
eat it
with the antibiotics.

Which is ok usually but with diarrhoea it can exacerbate it. I like
probiotic capsules.

Dried blueberries if you can get them. Or thaw out frozen
blueberries and
dry them over low heat.

Strangely enough this works against diarrhea, while fresh
blueberries are a
remedy for constipation. This is the European Vaccinium myrtillus, I
don't
know if it holds for any of the 5 different North American species

From the net:
quote
Reportedly, dried blueberries have a long history of use in Sweden
as a
treatment for diarrhea. Dr. Varro Tyler in his book, Herbs of
Choice,
recommends either chewing dried blueberries or making a tea by
boiling
crushed dried blueberries for about 10 minutes.

The helpfulness of blueberries for diarrhea appears to be due to the
fact
that they contain tannins, which act as an astringent, contracting
tissue
and reducing inflammation and secretion of liquids and mucus.
Blueberries
also contain substances called anthocyanosides, which have
antibacterial
properties, as well as being a good source of antioxidants. Lastly,
blueberries are another source of the soluble fiber pectin.
/quote

There's a lot more out there, I searched for "dried blueberries
diarrhea".

I like warmed up frozen blueberries over plain yoghurt as a "dessert"
snack. I don't particularly like fresh blueberries. If its the
tannins that are good then perhaps the green tea that Angela does
like might be good for part of her fluid intake.

Except that the ER Dr. told her to lay off of the caffeine. Are there
tannins in grapes? She has some small packages of apple slices and
grapes. Very few grapes in each one though. Maybe 3 or 4.

If there is I would imagine grapes are contraindicated for diarrhoea so
it would defeat the purpose? I don't think there is much caffeine in tea
and I doubt Angela likes it really strong?

Old 22-09-2011, 06:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/21/2011 7:08 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Tiger wrote:
: On 9/21/2011 3:07 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: "Tiger wrote in message
: ...
: ditto, Lee
:
: i would compare it to HP sauce mixed with ketchup
:
: kate
:
:
: I don't even know what HP sauce is.
:
:

: Oh, i see........ this is only a Cdn& the UK product

: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce

: kate

I think i have seen HP sauce in markets around here in NYC, but I don't
use it so can't comment.

Wendy

great with steak n eggs, many meats & meat dishes............ i prefer
using HP in a meatloaf mixed with the ketchup rather than all ketchup
and stuff

i prefer HOT seasonings, but this is an addition to the flavours

kate
Old 22-09-2011, 06:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
ditto, Lee

i would compare it to HP sauce mixed with ketchup

kate

I don't even know what HP sauce is.

Its very tasty bbq style sauce but unique. The Brits are up in arms at
the moment as the manufacturer's reduced the salt in accord with sodium
recommendations and apparently the flavour is no longer near the same.

I can not stand the taste of BBQ sauce and I found out my mom can't
either which could explain why I never had it as a child. Angela loves
the stuff. It is something I rarely have at home. Maybe a couple of
times a year when I get a coupon for it or find a really good sale. But
they have little tubs of it at Target and she gets it to dip a hot dog in
(just the meat) or even a few pieces of popcorn. Eek!

lol, kids. A couple of mine dip fries in milk. One does it in Coke
sometimes.

My nephew dipped is fries in soda. He also loved the self serve sodas
because he could take a little bit of each thing.

Old 22-09-2011, 07:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

bbq sauce is so different bottle to bottle that if you are interested it
would take a long time to find the right one, i prefer what my father makes
as its tart without being hot and not sweet at all, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Old 22-09-2011, 07:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

there is a wide variance in how much is in tea, there are decafe teas
though, Lee
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

Ozgirl wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Angela is sick. I don't know what is going on. She restarted the
Metformin and is now up to 2 pills per day. Will up it to 3
tomorrow. That will be 1,500.

It started with diarrhea but I don't really think this is from the
Metformin because she took that dose for many days with no problem.
She was also very tired, cranky and had an ear ache, sore throat
and
runny nose

She already had a Drs. appointment for the follow-up on her
hand/arm
twitch which had resolved. So we mentioned the other symptoms.

Dr. said she had a slightly red and swollen ear and wasn't going to
[...]

From the net:

Old 22-09-2011, 07:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
bbq sauce is so different bottle to bottle that if you are interested it
would take a long time to find the right one, i prefer what my father
makes as its tart without being hot and not sweet at all, Lee

Nope. Not interesting. I find sauces to be messy and don't like most of
them.

Old 22-09-2011, 08:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

messy is definitely a detractor no matter the taste, with my father's that
is one of the draws, he would make it up, it went on the back of the grill
to keep warm, he mopped meat at the end to just give it a crispy glase so
not that messy, then burgers/hotdogs went in the sauce to stay warm... those
weren't that messy because they were with a bun, but now days it would be
for me as i eat less bread in general, Lee

Old 22-09-2011, 10:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 22/09/2011 3:23 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

lol, kids. A couple of mine dip fries in milk. One does it in Coke
sometimes.

I used to know someone who ate potato crisps and ice cream must have
been acquired taste.

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
Old 22-09-2011, 11:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" wrote in message
On 22/09/2011 3:23 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

lol, kids. A couple of mine dip fries in milk. One does it in Coke
sometimes.

I used to know someone who ate potato crisps and ice cream must have
been acquired taste.

Was it you?? I used to like 1 french fry, 1 lick of soft serve ice
cream, repeated until all gone...

Old 22-09-2011, 11:28 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I had a look at one green tea at the supermarket this afternoon, just
out of curiosity. It said it was 100% green tea and was very low in
caffeine. Wasn't a decaffeinated one.

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

Ozgirl wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

From the net:

Old 22-09-2011, 02:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
I had a look at one green tea at the supermarket this afternoon, just out
of curiosity. It said it was 100% green tea and was very low in caffeine.
Wasn't a decaffeinated one.

I don't know how much is in there. Just knew it was some.

We have found one problem. The ph of her saliva is 6.5 as it should be.
But her urine is 9.0 which is as high as it gets. So she is secreting a LOT
of acid. Now what that means...I don't know. But this paper the naturopath
gave us said the urine should always be lower. Mine was when I did this
test. Hers is not. We will go back this afternoon and find out.

Meanwhile I got a new (to me) med called Nauzene. They are chewable tablets
and are an antacid that also seems to have a numbing affect. She slept
right away after I gave her those.

Old 22-09-2011, 03:32 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
[...]

So buy her some decaf green tea.

Wendy

Old 22-09-2011, 08:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:

And, Julie, I am being kind in giving you some advice. Please do not
come back and tell me why you can't follow it. I'm really more interest
in your child getting well than I am in your excuses. Thanks.

Yup.

Old 22-09-2011, 09:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
[...]

I've never seen that. She will only drink the sweetened kind in a bottle.
They do make diet but AFAIK not decaf.