Old 22-09-2011, 01:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Menu for diarrhea?

On 9/21/2011 3:07 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Tiger wrote in message
ditto, Lee

i would compare it to HP sauce mixed with ketchup

kate

I don't even know what HP sauce is.

Oh, i see........ this is only a Cdn & the UK product

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce

kate

Old 22-09-2011, 02:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
ditto, Lee

i would compare it to HP sauce mixed with ketchup

kate

I don't even know what HP sauce is.

Its very tasty bbq style sauce but unique. The Brits are up in arms at
the moment as the manufacturer's reduced the salt in accord with sodium
recommendations and apparently the flavour is no longer near the same.

Old 22-09-2011, 02:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily wrote:
: On 9/21/2011 3:07 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: "Tiger wrote in message
: ...
: ditto, Lee
:
: i would compare it to HP sauce mixed with ketchup
:
: kate
:
:
: I don't even know what HP sauce is.
:
:

: Oh, i see........ this is only a Cdn & the UK product

: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce

: kate

I think i have seen HP sauce in markets around here in NYC, but I don't
use it so can't comment.

Wendy
Old 22-09-2011, 02:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Carb sensitivity is very common in the mornings for type 2's. Some can't
even have a few grams of it.

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
it is just so fascinating to me that something that should be a
chenical/scientific thing varies so much by the person, like when you
can eat the carbs, i didn't test for that, but my brother says he
simply can't eat carbs in the morning, mid day to lat evening, but not
when he gets up... and really not at bedtime, Lee
"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 9/21/2011 7:20 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
and remember as we discuss here often she may not be sensitive to
rice as
she is other things,... one of the things that was hardest for me to
learn
was what did and didn't bother me, i can eat one whole banana with
no
problem... but not two... my brother can't eat more than a couple of
bites
or he is done in, He can eat a full serving of white potato no
problem but
barely half a serving of any kind of rice, Lee

My DH can eat a moderate serving of potato but does not deal well
with rice, either. We have been doing very small portions of brown
rice as suggested by his endo. 1/4 cup of cooked brown rice with an
adequate bolus seems to be working. I usually mix it with other
veggies.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Old 22-09-2011, 02:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"BjørnSteensrud" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Angela is sick. I don't know what is going on. She restarted the
Metformin and is now up to 2 pills per day. Will up it to 3
tomorrow. That will be 1,500.

It started with diarrhea but I don't really think this is from the
Metformin because she took that dose for many days with no
problem.
She was also very tired, cranky and had an ear ache, sore throat
and
runny nose

She already had a Drs. appointment for the follow-up on her
hand/arm
twitch which had resolved. So we mentioned the other symptoms.

Dr. said she had a slightly red and swollen ear and wasn't going
do anything about it. Said that things like this resolve on their
own in kids her age. I pointed out that the last ear infection
did
not resolve itself. It started in May and kept going until June!

So she prescribed Azytrhromycin but said not to give it to her
unless
she got a fever. I did anyway. But not right away. I waited 2
days
until she was screaming with ear pain. I didn't actually take her
temperature because I still do not have an accurate thermometer
and
refuse to keep buying them. I have bought dozens over the years.
They will show us with a fever and then we will go to the Dr. and
be
found to have a normal temperature. Or they show us with no fever
and the Dr. says we have one! Anyway she went from feeling
chilled
(it was a warm day) to sweating (and by then it had cooled off).
She
felt hot to the touch. So that was on Sunday. She was also
sleeping a lot. I had to wake her. And she was going to bed
early.
Neither thing is like her.

She missed school on Friday. I didn't really believe she was sick
at
first. She said she had diarrhea and complained of the ear, throat
and runny nose. Got right back in bed and ate nothing that day but
few bites of cereal and only because I told her she had to eat
something. Since then she has eaten little. Was having one bout
of
diarrhea a
day. Seemed to resolve with a store brand Imodium. But then late
last night she got up from bed, almost crying from stomach pain.
Severe diarrhea! Took the maximum dose of the store brand Imodium
which is 4 pills. First 2, then 1 then another 1. She stayed up,
hovering over a bowl not sure which way she was going to get sick.
finally gave her a can of diet ginger ale and then she felt a bit
better. I debated taking her to the Dr. again today but so far no
diarrhea.
However she says she does feel sick to her stomach.

Her Endo. is not in on Tuesdays. Apparently he is there early in
the
morning for some kind of appointment but then he leaves. I don't
know if he does surgery or what but he does not answer calls
today.
So I didn't bother trying to call to see if this stomach stuff
could
be from the Metformin. But the family practitioner she saw didn't
seem to think so. Her pediatrician was booked up so she saw
another
Dr. She really hasn't been eating much. She had some gluten free
fish
sticks for breakfast and I made her a small amount of plain white
rice for lunch. Neither of these things are low carb, I know. We
may have some yogurt. Not sure but if we do it will be the
flavored
kind. She won't eat plain. I am not sure about giving her toast.
She can't eat regular bread. Normally she eats some made of corn
flour which would be bad. I just got the new order. There is
some
made of tapioca. Would that work for her problem? I do have a few
slices of some mixed grain, high fiber stuff. I know that would
be
bad. We do have all kinds of applesauce. No bananas in the
house.
I do have a couple of chicken breasts I could cook, plenty of
canned
chicken, chicken broth and also rice pasta.

At this point I think I am going to worry less about carbs and
just
try to get her well. Because of her missing 3 days of school she
is
now flunking history because she missed a test. They are making
it
super hard this year for kids who are absent to make up work! Her
math teacher was putting their assignments online but then she
suddenly stopped. So I don't know if she was sick or what.
Angela
said tons of kids have been sick.

So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally
eat
low carb .

My mother always gave us grated apple. FWIW none of my kids, even
as
teenagers have ever thrown off an ear infection by themselves. My
16
year old has had two in the past few months with a heavy cold.
Every
cold we seem to get lately comes with upset stomach as well. Avoid
yoghurt, toast should be ok. Things like milk products and fats
often
make stomach upsets worse and more prolonged. I usually stop all
medications when I have upset stomach as well.

Before antibiotics ear infections often led to mastoiditis. Why
would
a doctor think that process has changed?

I wasn't sure about the yogurt because they usually tell her to eat
it
with the antibiotics.

Which is ok usually but with diarrhoea it can exacerbate it. I like
probiotic capsules.

Dried blueberries if you can get them. Or thaw out frozen blueberries
and
dry them over low heat.

Strangely enough this works against diarrhea, while fresh blueberries
are a
remedy for constipation. This is the European Vaccinium myrtillus, I
don't
know if it holds for any of the 5 different North American species ...

From the net:
quote
Reportedly, dried blueberries have a long history of use in Sweden as
treatment for diarrhea. Dr. Varro Tyler in his book, Herbs of Choice,
recommends either chewing dried blueberries or making a tea by boiling
crushed dried blueberries for about 10 minutes.

The helpfulness of blueberries for diarrhea appears to be due to the
fact
that they contain tannins, which act as an astringent, contracting
tissue
and reducing inflammation and secretion of liquids and mucus.
Blueberries
also contain substances called anthocyanosides, which have
antibacterial
properties, as well as being a good source of antioxidants. Lastly,
blueberries are another source of the soluble fiber pectin.
/quote

There's a lot more out there, I searched for "dried blueberries
diarrhea".

I like warmed up frozen blueberries over plain yoghurt as a "dessert"
snack. I don't particularly like fresh blueberries. If its the tannins
that are good then perhaps the green tea that Angela does like might be
good for part of her fluid intake.

Old 22-09-2011, 02:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

but a
few bites of cereal and only because I told her she had to eat
something. Since then she has eaten little. Was having one bout
of
diarrhea a
day. Seemed to resolve with a store brand Imodium. But then late
last night she got up from bed, almost crying from stomach pain.
Severe diarrhea! Took the maximum dose of the store brand
Imodium
which is 4 pills. First 2, then 1 then another 1. She stayed
up,
hovering over a bowl not sure which way she was going to get
sick. I
[...]

From the net:
[...]

Thanks but there is no way I could get her to eat blueberries. She
likes them as much as I do which is not at all.

I think you either like them or not. Fresh blueberries I will always
bypass them if there is an alternative, frozen on the other hand I
really like.

Old 22-09-2011, 02:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally eat
low
carb .

Thanks!

When I'm gut sick like that I throw low-carb out the window because I
can't tolerate most of the low-carb foods. I go for plain boiled
white
rice until I feel like something more. Last digestive virus I had I
think I ate plain white rice and drank ginger ale for three days. Of
course it was tiny bits at a time to start, and by the time I could
eat
more I was cooking the rice in chicken stock, then adding bits of
cooked
chicken.

I hope she feels betters soon!

Whenever I had stomach bugs in the past my bg would soar just like it
did with sinus infection. So it didn't really matter whether my first
foods were carb or not. I go for toast and vegemite (white bread as
fibre can be very irritating to an inflamed gut) as a first food
generally. Those small containers of KFC potato and gravy have always
stayed down well too. Or should I say gravy and potato, little potato in
them.

Old 22-09-2011, 02:19 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

So what do you eat when you have diarrhea? Assuming you normally
eat low
carb .

Thanks!

When I'm gut sick like that I throw low-carb out the window because I
can't tolerate most of the low-carb foods. I go for plain boiled
white
rice until I feel like something more. Last digestive virus I had I
think I ate plain white rice and drank ginger ale for three days. Of
course it was tiny bits at a time to start, and by the time I could
eat
more I was cooking the rice in chicken stock, then adding bits of
cooked
chicken.

I hope she feels betters soon!

Thanks! She was diagnosed with gastritis and is on treatment for that
now.

Has she stopped the Met while she is sick? Metformin can prolong
diarhoea, even if the cause of the illness is not the drug. When my ex
was on an ACE for bp he had a bit of the ACE cough at night but every
time he got a cold the dry cough would go on for weeks. Not so with the
ARB.

Old 22-09-2011, 05:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger wrote in message
ditto, Lee

i would compare it to HP sauce mixed with ketchup

kate

I don't even know what HP sauce is.

Oh, i see........ this is only a Cdn & the UK product

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce

kate

Ah, okay. I have frequently read of brown sauce but wasn't really sure what
it was. I have seen recipes in old cookbooks but they really do vary a lot
as to what is in them and they never say what to use it on.

Old 22-09-2011, 05:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
ditto, Lee

i would compare it to HP sauce mixed with ketchup

kate

I don't even know what HP sauce is.

Its very tasty bbq style sauce but unique. The Brits are up in arms at the
moment as the manufacturer's reduced the salt in accord with sodium
recommendations and apparently the flavour is no longer near the same.

I can not stand the taste of BBQ sauce and I found out my mom can't either
which could explain why I never had it as a child. Angela loves the stuff.
It is something I rarely have at home. Maybe a couple of times a year when
I get a coupon for it or find a really good sale. But they have little tubs
of it at Target and she gets it to dip a hot dog in (just the meat) or even
a few pieces of popcorn. Eek!

Old 22-09-2011, 05:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
I think you either like them or not. Fresh blueberries I will always
bypass them if there is an alternative, frozen on the other hand I really
like.

Frozen ones give me nightmares! My mom loved them and frequently served
them as dessert. We each got a custard cup full of them, straight from the
freezer. She would eat them and get her teeth all blueberry-y and then
insist that we take a walk up to the store. There she would grin at people
with her purple teeth. As a child there was not much worse than that, that
I could think of. Sometimes I think she just did it because she knew how
mortified I was of it.

Old 22-09-2011, 05:51 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

[...]

No. The family practitioner said she didn't think it was the cause so not
to stop it. The ER Dr. said to cut back to 500 for a few days and then
restart it again at 1,000. If it starts again to call the Endo. I am
thinking perhaps she can still get benefits even if she is not on the
maximum dose. But I could be wrong.

Old 22-09-2011, 05:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Angela is sick. I don't know what is going on. She restarted the
Metformin and is now up to 2 pills per day. Will up it to 3
tomorrow. That will be 1,500.

It started with diarrhea but I don't really think this is from the
Metformin because she took that dose for many days with no problem.
She was also very tired, cranky and had an ear ache, sore throat and
runny nose

She already had a Drs. appointment for the follow-up on her hand/arm
twitch which had resolved. So we mentioned the other symptoms.

Dr. said she had a slightly red and swollen ear and wasn't going to
[...]

and runny nose. Got right back in bed and ate nothing that day but a
few bites of cereal and only because I told her she had to eat
something. Since then she has eaten little. Was having one bout of
diarrhea a
day. Seemed to resolve with a store brand Imodium. But then late
last night she got up from bed, almost crying from stomach pain.
Severe diarrhea! Took the maximum dose of the store brand Imodium
which is 4 pills. First 2, then 1 then another 1. She stayed up,
hovering over a bowl not sure which way she was going to get sick. I
[...]

From the net:
quote
Reportedly, dried blueberries have a long history of use in Sweden as a
[...]

Except that the ER Dr. told her to lay off of the caffeine. Are there
tannins in grapes? She has some small packages of apple slices and grapes.
Very few grapes in each one though. Maybe 3 or 4.

Old 22-09-2011, 06:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger wrote in message
ditto, Lee

i would compare it to HP sauce mixed with ketchup

kate

I don't even know what HP sauce is.

Oh, i see........ this is only a Cdn & the UK product

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce

kate

Ah, okay. I have frequently read of brown sauce but wasn't really
sure what it was. I have seen recipes in old cookbooks but they
really do vary a lot as to what is in them and they never say what to
use it on.

I used to have it a lot, it was one of the allowed sauces along with
Worcestershire sauces at Weight Watchers. I had it on steak, sausages,
chops, meatballs/rissoles - anything red really.

Old 22-09-2011, 06:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
ditto, Lee

i would compare it to HP sauce mixed with ketchup

kate

I don't even know what HP sauce is.

Its very tasty bbq style sauce but unique. The Brits are up in arms
at the moment as the manufacturer's reduced the salt in accord with
sodium recommendations and apparently the flavour is no longer near
the same.

I can not stand the taste of BBQ sauce and I found out my mom can't
either which could explain why I never had it as a child. Angela
loves the stuff. It is something I rarely have at home. Maybe a
couple of times a year when I get a coupon for it or find a really
good sale. But they have little tubs of it at Target and she gets it
to dip a hot dog in (just the meat) or even a few pieces of popcorn.
Eek!

lol, kids. A couple of mine dip fries in milk. One does it in Coke
sometimes.