Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Dinner tonight

Roasting some chicken breasts with a filling of freshly chopped dill,
baby spinach leaves and crumbled fetta mixed with ricotta. Not sure what
to have with it yet. Perhaps roasted veggies like sweet potato, onion
and carrot (kids don't like sweet potato). Plus the usual assorted
greens. Trying to think of a suitable sauce.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Roasting some chicken breasts with a filling of freshly chopped dill, baby
> spinach leaves and crumbled fetta mixed with ricotta. Not sure what to
> have with it yet. Perhaps roasted veggies like sweet potato, onion and
> carrot (kids don't like sweet potato). Plus the usual assorted greens.
> Trying to think of a suitable sauce.

Something out of the freezer for me. Most likely an Amy's gluten free
burrito. Angela is still sick so she won't be eating much.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

you serve me that no sauce would be needed, just second helpings if i could
handle it, lol, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Roasting some chicken breasts with a filling of freshly chopped dill, baby
> spinach leaves and crumbled fetta mixed with ricotta. Not sure what to
> have with it yet. Perhaps roasted veggies like sweet potato, onion and
> carrot (kids don't like sweet potato). Plus the usual assorted greens.
> Trying to think of a suitable sauce.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> you serve me that no sauce would be needed, just second helpings if i
> could handle it, lol, Lee

I grew up eating no sauce. And we had raw veggies with no dip. So I am
used to having things plain.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We serve in bulk here Lee, lol. I made a large electric frypan full of
pasta bolognese the other night. I did it kiddy style and put the pasta
(spirals) into the meat sauce. Kids had a big meal each with cheese on
top and I filled a couple of containers after dinner. Woke the next
morning and all gone. I had chicken rissoles with large tossed salad.

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> you serve me that no sauce would be needed, just second helpings if i
> could handle it, lol, Lee
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Roasting some chicken breasts with a filling of freshly chopped dill,
>> baby spinach leaves and crumbled fetta mixed with ricotta. Not sure
>> what to have with it yet. Perhaps roasted veggies like sweet potato,
>> onion and carrot (kids don't like sweet potato). Plus the usual
>> assorted greens. Trying to think of a suitable sauce.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Kids bought themselves pizza and noodles (noodle bar). Having the
chicken tomorrow night now and meanwhile I like this sauce recipe (was
part of a stuffed chicken recipe that had ricotta, bacon, gorgonzola,
spinach etc):

1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup homemade chicken stock
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 lemon, juiced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish

I have some chicken necks which I will boil up tomorrow for the stock.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> you serve me that no sauce would be needed, just second helpings if i
>> could handle it, lol, Lee

> I grew up eating no sauce. And we had raw veggies with no dip. So I
> am used to having things plain.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i like a lot of sauces, except gravy on mashed potatoes, i like it on the
side but not on the potatoes, makes them watery, why that is different from
taking a forkful and dipping them makes no sense but there you have it, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> you serve me that no sauce would be needed, just second helpings if i
>> could handle it, lol, Lee

> I grew up eating no sauce. And we had raw veggies with no dip. So I am
> used to having things plain.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that sounds very nice and won't over power the chicken, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Kids bought themselves pizza and noodles (noodle bar). Having the chicken
> tomorrow night now and meanwhile I like this sauce recipe (was part of a
> stuffed chicken recipe that had ricotta, bacon, gorgonzola, spinach etc):
>
> 1/2 cup dry white wine
> 1/2 cup homemade chicken stock
> 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
> 1 lemon, juiced
> Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
> Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
>
> I have some chicken necks which I will boil up tomorrow for the stock.
>

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> you serve me that no sauce would be needed, just second helpings if i
>>> could handle it, lol, Lee

>> I grew up eating no sauce. And we had raw veggies with no dip. So I am
>> used to having things plain.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i'll be right over, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> We serve in bulk here Lee, lol. I made a large electric frypan full of
> pasta bolognese the other night. I did it kiddy style and put the pasta
> (spirals) into the meat sauce. Kids had a big meal each with cheese on top
> and I filled a couple of containers after dinner. Woke the next morning
> and all gone. I had chicken rissoles with large tossed salad.
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> you serve me that no sauce would be needed, just second helpings if i
>> could handle it, lol, Lee
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>> Roasting some chicken breasts with a filling of freshly chopped dill,
>>> baby spinach leaves and crumbled fetta mixed with ricotta. Not sure what
>>> to have with it yet. Perhaps roasted veggies like sweet potato, onion
>>> and carrot (kids don't like sweet potato). Plus the usual assorted
>>> greens. Trying to think of a suitable sauce.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

> Roasting some chicken breasts with a filling of freshly chopped dill,
> baby spinach leaves and crumbled fetta mixed with ricotta. Not sure what
> to have with it yet. Perhaps roasted veggies like sweet potato, onion
> and carrot (kids don't like sweet potato). Plus the usual assorted
> greens. Trying to think of a suitable sauce.

Fresh cod fillets, in a fireproof glass container, slightly greased,
cover fillets with a mixture of finely chopped parsley, bread crumbs and the
juice and zest of a lemon, add salt and pepper, bake in oven at 180 deg C
for 10 minutes. Conversion to deg F left to the reader.

Finely chopped carrots and ½ onion sauteed in skillet for 5 minutes, add a
can of lentils, drained, sautee for 2 more minutes, serve with the fillets.

And I didn't have a white wine ready chilled ...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sep 20, 2:02*pm, "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Roasting some chicken breasts with a filling of freshly chopped dill,
> baby spinach leaves and crumbled fetta mixed with ricotta. Not sure what
> to have with it yet. Perhaps roasted veggies like sweet potato, onion
> and carrot (kids don't like sweet potato). Plus the usual assorted
> greens. Trying to think of a suitable sauce.

New here. Helping a friend eat safely. This chicken sounds sooooo
good! I'm assuming that it's okay for T-2? Still learning. Sorry.

I always thought it was just sugar that needed to be avoided. No
sugar, no starch, no fat... tsk! This is quite a task but I have
found some wonderful recipes to try. This is what friends do, right?

I don't know what else I can do so I'll just go with this.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i like a lot of sauces, except gravy on mashed potatoes, i like it on the
>side but not on the potatoes, makes them watery, why that is different from
>taking a forkful and dipping them makes no sense but there you have it, Lee

We only ever had gravy at Thanksgiving. I wouldn't eat it as a child. I
like it now but will do without it at a restaurant because Angela can not
eat theirs and I think it is easier for her when we just eat the same thing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

probably is easier, and its not a requirement so easier to do without... btw
if you ever do want white sauce/gravy use rice flour, man is it ever better,
Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>i like a lot of sauces, except gravy on mashed potatoes, i like it on the
>>side but not on the potatoes, makes them watery, why that is different
>>from taking a forkful and dipping them makes no sense but there you have
>>it, Lee

> We only ever had gravy at Thanksgiving. I wouldn't eat it as a child. I
> like it now but will do without it at a restaurant because Angela can not
> eat theirs and I think it is easier for her when we just eat the same
> thing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> probably is easier, and its not a requirement so easier to do without...
> btw if you ever do want white sauce/gravy use rice flour, man is it ever
> better, Lee

I use sweet rice flour at home but most restaurants do not make their gravy
that way.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

sadly true
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> probably is easier, and its not a requirement so easier to do without...
>> btw if you ever do want white sauce/gravy use rice flour, man is it ever
>> better, Lee

> I use sweet rice flour at home but most restaurants do not make their
> gravy that way.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"BjørnSteensrud" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:
>
>> Roasting some chicken breasts with a filling of freshly chopped dill,
>> baby spinach leaves and crumbled fetta mixed with ricotta. Not sure
>> what
>> to have with it yet. Perhaps roasted veggies like sweet potato, onion
>> and carrot (kids don't like sweet potato). Plus the usual assorted
>> greens. Trying to think of a suitable sauce.

> Fresh cod fillets, in a fireproof glass container, slightly greased,
> cover fillets with a mixture of finely chopped parsley, bread crumbs
> and the
> juice and zest of a lemon, add salt and pepper, bake in oven at 180
> deg C
> for 10 minutes. Conversion to deg F left to the reader.

Lovely, my kids would even eat that They are not big fish eaters

> Finely chopped carrots and ½ onion sauteed in skillet for 5 minutes,
> add a
> can of lentils, drained, sautee for 2 more minutes, serve with the
> fillets.

Unusual side dish, I would eat that but the kids would want chips with
theirs

> And I didn't have a white wine ready chilled ...

Thats where chest freezers come in handy. I can put glass of drink in
mine when I start dinner and its icy by cooking end, even a 15 minute
meal. I never drink milk unless I have done that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"HonoluluSprite" > wrote in message
> On Sep 20, 2:02 pm, "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Roasting some chicken breasts with a filling of freshly chopped dill,
>> baby spinach leaves and crumbled fetta mixed with ricotta. Not sure
>> what
>> to have with it yet. Perhaps roasted veggies like sweet potato, onion
>> and carrot (kids don't like sweet potato). Plus the usual assorted
>> greens. Trying to think of a suitable sauce.

> New here. Helping a friend eat safely. This chicken sounds sooooo
> good! I'm assuming that it's okay for T-2? Still learning. Sorry.
>
> I always thought it was just sugar that needed to be avoided. No
> sugar, no starch, no fat... tsk! This is quite a task but I have
> found some wonderful recipes to try. This is what friends do, right?
>
> I don't know what else I can do so I'll just go with this.

The tricky parts could be the vegetables, not the chicken part. The
chicken filling is very low carb. Different choice of vegetables might
be necessary for some type 2's. Sweet potato, carrot and onion are all
things that can raise bg, you would need to test. With greens or a nice
colourful salad the whole meal could be a winner

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>i like a lot of sauces, except gravy on mashed potatoes, i like it on
>>the side but not on the potatoes, makes them watery, why that is
>>different from taking a forkful and dipping them makes no sense but
>>there you have it, Lee

> We only ever had gravy at Thanksgiving. I wouldn't eat it as a child.
> I like it now but will do without it at a restaurant because Angela
> can not eat theirs and I think it is easier for her when we just eat
> the same thing.

I grew up on gravy, always made from pan drippings. White sauces for
fish, corned beef etc were made from a roux then added milk and
seasonings. My kids actually like the instant powdered gravies

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "BjørnSteensrud" > wrote in message
>> Ozgirl wrote:
>>
>>> Roasting some chicken breasts with a filling of freshly chopped dill,
>>> baby spinach leaves and crumbled fetta mixed with ricotta. Not sure what
>>> to have with it yet. Perhaps roasted veggies like sweet potato, onion
>>> and carrot (kids don't like sweet potato). Plus the usual assorted
>>> greens. Trying to think of a suitable sauce.

>> Fresh cod fillets, in a fireproof glass container, slightly greased,
>> cover fillets with a mixture of finely chopped parsley, bread crumbs and
>> the
>> juice and zest of a lemon, add salt and pepper, bake in oven at 180 deg C
>> for 10 minutes. Conversion to deg F left to the reader.

> Lovely, my kids would even eat that They are not big fish eaters
>
>> Finely chopped carrots and ½ onion sauteed in skillet for 5 minutes, add
>> can of lentils, drained, sautee for 2 more minutes, serve with the
>> fillets.

> Unusual side dish, I would eat that but the kids would want chips with
> theirs
>
>> And I didn't have a white wine ready chilled ...

> Thats where chest freezers come in handy. I can put glass of drink in mine
> when I start dinner and its icy by cooking end, even a 15 minute meal. I
> never drink milk unless I have done that.

I bought a beverage chiller when I first moved in here but I never used it.
I think I gave it away. Need to check to make sure. I foolishly assumed
that I could just plug it in and it would chill whatever you put in there.
Nope. You have to put two trays of ice in it. Which was a problem for me
because I had no room in the freezer for ice!

Now we just use Angela's little fridge for drinks. She no longer has to
separate her food with her dad not being here. It is safe from him! When
he is home she does occasionally have to put something in there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>>i like a lot of sauces, except gravy on mashed potatoes, i like it on the
>>>side but not on the potatoes, makes them watery, why that is different
>>>from taking a forkful and dipping them makes no sense but there you have
>>>it, Lee

>> We only ever had gravy at Thanksgiving. I wouldn't eat it as a child. I
>> like it now but will do without it at a restaurant because Angela can not
>> eat theirs and I think it is easier for her when we just eat the same
>> thing.

> I grew up on gravy, always made from pan drippings. White sauces for fish,
> corned beef etc were made from a roux then added milk and seasonings. My
> kids actually like the instant powdered gravies

Would you believe that my mom didn't know what was in a white sauce? When I
first moved out I learned to make macaroni and cheese from scratch and I
loved it. At home we only ever had that Kraft stuff in a box. My mom asked
me how to make it and I said that I just made a white sauce and added
cheese. Yes, I know some versions are baked in the oven but when I made it
I really wanted it fast and that worked for me. She hasn't a clue what was
in a white sauce or how to make one.

Member

Diabetic patients must have to avoid their selves from two things in food.
Avoid from a spicy food and second avoid from extremely cold water.
The level of diabetes would normal.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Klusner > wrote:

: Diabetic patients must have to avoid their selves from two things in
: food.
: Avoid from a spicy food and second avoid from extremely cold water.
: The level of diabetes would normal.
: --
: Klusner

Wouldn't that be nice, if it were so easy-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/22/2011 6:27 AM, Klusner wrote:
> Diabetic patients must have to avoid their selves from two things in
> food.
> Avoid from a spicy food and second avoid from extremely cold water.
> The level of diabetes would normal.

huh??

where do you determine this nugget of misinformation from?

sigh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/22/2011 9:25 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> : Diabetic patients must have to avoid their selves from two things in
> : food.
> : Avoid from a spicy food and second avoid from extremely cold water.
> : The level of diabetes would normal.
> : --
> : Klusner
>
> Wouldn't that be nice, if it were so easy-)
>
> Wendy

no kidding, someone needs to pass this OP a clue by four

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2011 6:27 AM, Klusner wrote:
>> Diabetic patients must have to avoid their selves from two things in
>> food.
>> Avoid from a spicy food and second avoid from extremely cold water.
>> The level of diabetes would normal.

> huh??
>
> where do you determine this nugget of misinformation from?
>
> sigh

LOL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 23/09/2011 2:56 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 9/22/2011 6:27 AM, Klusner wrote:
>>> Diabetic patients must have to avoid their selves from two things in
>>> food.
>>> Avoid from a spicy food and second avoid from extremely cold water.
>>> The level of diabetes would normal.

Could you please repeat that in English which is the primary language
for most here ... then explain your "logic" with some sort of evidence
.... thanks if you ever return :-)

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Klusner" > wrote in message

> Diabetic patients must have to avoid their selves from two things in
> food.
> Avoid from a spicy food and second avoid from extremely cold water.
> The level of diabetes would normal.

WTF?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2011 9:25 AM, W. Baker wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>
>> : Diabetic patients must have to avoid their selves from two things in
>> : food.
>> : Avoid from a spicy food and second avoid from extremely cold water.
>> : The level of diabetes would normal.
>> : --
>> : Klusner
>>
>> Wouldn't that be nice, if it were so easy-)
>>
>> Wendy

> no kidding, someone needs to pass this OP a clue by four

Heh!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I don't know who told you that but its wrong, sorry.

"Klusner" > wrote in message

> Diabetic patients must have to avoid their selves from two things in
> food.
> Avoid from a spicy food and second avoid from extremely cold water.
> The level of diabetes would normal.
>

> --
> Klusner

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/21/2011 8:27 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> i like a lot of sauces, except gravy on mashed potatoes, i like it on
>>> the side but not on the potatoes, makes them watery, why that is
>>> different from taking a forkful and dipping them makes no sense but
>>> there you have it, Lee

>> We only ever had gravy at Thanksgiving. I wouldn't eat it as a child.
>> I like it now but will do without it at a restaurant because Angela
>> can not eat theirs and I think it is easier for her when we just eat
>> the same thing.

> I grew up on gravy, always made from pan drippings. White sauces for
> fish, corned beef etc were made from a roux then added milk and
> seasonings. My kids actually like the instant powdered gravies

That gravy sounds much like what my mother made, with any leftover
pan drippings kept in an unrefrigerated can.

I don't remember her making those white sauces, though.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/22/2011 12:13 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message

>>> We only ever had gravy at Thanksgiving. I wouldn't eat it as a child. I
>>> like it now but will do without it at a restaurant because Angela can not
>>> eat theirs and I think it is easier for her when we just eat the same
>>> thing.

>> I grew up on gravy, always made from pan drippings. White sauces for fish,
>> corned beef etc were made from a roux then added milk and seasonings. My
>> kids actually like the instant powdered gravies

> Would you believe that my mom didn't know what was in a white sauce? When I
> first moved out I learned to make macaroni and cheese from scratch and I
> loved it. At home we only ever had that Kraft stuff in a box. My mom asked
> me how to make it and I said that I just made a white sauce and added
> cheese. Yes, I know some versions are baked in the oven but when I made it
> I really wanted it fast and that worked for me. She hasn't a clue what was
> in a white sauce or how to make one.

I never learned to make a white sauce either, largely because I never
saw my mother make one.