Old 23-09-2011, 05:28 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Dinner tonight

On 9/21/2011 8:27 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i like a lot of sauces, except gravy on mashed potatoes, i like it on
the side but not on the potatoes, makes them watery, why that is
different from taking a forkful and dipping them makes no sense but
there you have it, Lee

We only ever had gravy at Thanksgiving. I wouldn't eat it as a child.
I like it now but will do without it at a restaurant because Angela
can not eat theirs and I think it is easier for her when we just eat
the same thing.

I grew up on gravy, always made from pan drippings. White sauces for
fish, corned beef etc were made from a roux then added milk and
seasonings. My kids actually like the instant powdered gravies

That gravy sounds much like what my mother made, with any leftover
pan drippings kept in an unrefrigerated can.

I don't remember her making those white sauces, though.

Old 23-09-2011, 05:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/22/2011 12:13 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message

"Julie wrote in message

wrote in message
i like a lot of sauces, except gravy on mashed potatoes, i like it on the
side but not on the potatoes, makes them watery, why that is different
from taking a forkful and dipping them makes no sense but there you have
it, Lee

We only ever had gravy at Thanksgiving. I wouldn't eat it as a child. I
like it now but will do without it at a restaurant because Angela can not
eat theirs and I think it is easier for her when we just eat the same
thing.

I grew up on gravy, always made from pan drippings. White sauces for fish,
corned beef etc were made from a roux then added milk and seasonings. My
kids actually like the instant powdered gravies

Would you believe that my mom didn't know what was in a white sauce? When I
first moved out I learned to make macaroni and cheese from scratch and I
loved it. At home we only ever had that Kraft stuff in a box. My mom asked
me how to make it and I said that I just made a white sauce and added
cheese. Yes, I know some versions are baked in the oven but when I made it
I really wanted it fast and that worked for me. She hasn't a clue what was
in a white sauce or how to make one.

I never learned to make a white sauce either, largely because I never
saw my mother make one.