Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sweet potatoes with goat cheese

My mom didn't want to cook tonight so Angela and I got dinner at PCC Natural
Market. We had a smorgasbord of things in small quantities including two
kinds of salad, beets, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with goat cheese,
coleslaw, Seckel pears, string cheese, tuna salad, deviled eggs, baby
carrots and some turkey loaf. The turkey loaf had just meat and veg in it
but there was BBQ sauce on it so there were a small amount of carbs.

The sweet potatoes were mashed with the goat cheese. I took a tiny taste
and I really liked them which was odd because I normally hate sweet potatoes
and especially mashed ones. Odder still was that Angela and mom my who both
love sweet potatoes didn't like these at all. They thought they were too
sweet but I didn't find them sweet at all. I didn't eat any more than that
taste because there were enough carbs in the rest of the food I ate.

Angela really seemed to eat only a bite of each thing she put on her plate.
She went for the follow-up on her arm/hand twitch yesterday. That problem
has resolved but now she has an ear infection. I didn't believe that she
was sick. Oops! So she was walking around with a new box of Kleenex. The
kind that are supposed to prevent the spread of cold and flu virus. She
wasn't really hungry.

My dad had to be convinced to try things. He seems to think he doesn't like
any sort of food. My mom and I had to convince him that he did indeed like
beets. And he did seem to like those and also the pear. But most of the
other things he ate, he just said they were okay. He hated the salad but I
must say that we have all hated the green salads we've gotten from there
before. I am not sure what they put in them but they are very bitter. It
had other raw veggies on it. I had the Greek salad and it was fine. He did
seem to eat a lot of the baby carrots but made no comments on them. He
hated the turkey loaf.

I mainly bought so many different things because my mom (if you can believe
it) is an even pickier eater than I am and it is hard to find anything that
she likes. They used to sell some plain chicken breast which everyone ate
although perhaps nobody was thrilled with it. But today they had none.
They did have a lovely looking herbed chicken salad with no dressing but it
had hazelnuts so Angela turned up her nose at it. And they did have two
kinds of chicken on the bone that nobody was allergic to but Angela won't
eat it if it is on the bone. She used to eat the drumsticks but I couldn't
get her to want to eat those today.

I thought the pizza was good too! I haven't had real pizza in a long time.
They make it with a very thin crust and you can buy by the slice or the
whole pizza. I just got three slices.

Banned

That's really good to hear, Julie! All in all I think you did have fun with your family. With the foods you mentioned, I definitely have a special cravings for deviled eggs which I really like to know how to prepare those. In some cases, people do differ their tastes in foods. Sometimes you are kind of finding the right taste which I think happened to you guys.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
: haleymcadams1 wrote:
: > That's really good to hear, Julie! All in all I think you did have fun
: > with your family. With the foods you mentioned, I definitely have a
: > special cravings for deviled eggs which I really like to know how to
: > prepare those. In some cases, people do differ their tastes in foods.
: > Sometimes you are kind of finding the right taste which I think
: > happened to you guys.

: I love deviled eggs. I think most people do. When I bring them to potlucks,
: they always vanish like dew before the sun. I have a recipe somwhere for
: fancy ones with a pate filling, but I really prefer the old-fashioned kind,
: especially when well made. (Meaning the filling has to be whipped smooth,
: and no sweet additives such as relish. )
but lways wither mustard or coleman's mustard powder in judicious
amounts., a littls mayo , salt and pepper and that's about it for me.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

this is one of those times when less is more, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Janet > wrote:
> : haleymcadams1 wrote:
> : > That's really good to hear, Julie! All in all I think you did have fun
> : > with your family. With the foods you mentioned, I definitely have a
> : > special cravings for deviled eggs which I really like to know how to
> : > prepare those. In some cases, people do differ their tastes in foods.
> : > Sometimes you are kind of finding the right taste which I think
> : > happened to you guys.
>
> : I love deviled eggs. I think most people do. When I bring them to
> potlucks,
> : they always vanish like dew before the sun. I have a recipe somwhere for
> : fancy ones with a pate filling, but I really prefer the old-fashioned
> kind,
> : especially when well made. (Meaning the filling has to be whipped
> smooth,
> : and no sweet additives such as relish. )
> but lways wither mustard or coleman's mustard powder in judicious
> amounts., a littls mayo , salt and pepper and that's about it for me.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> this is one of those times when less is more, Lee
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Janet > wrote:
>> : haleymcadams1 wrote:
>> : > That's really good to hear, Julie! All in all I think you did have
>> fun
>> : > with your family. With the foods you mentioned, I definitely have a
>> : > special cravings for deviled eggs which I really like to know how to
>> : > prepare those. In some cases, people do differ their tastes in foods.
>> : > Sometimes you are kind of finding the right taste which I think
>> : > happened to you guys.
>>
>> : I love deviled eggs. I think most people do. When I bring them to
>> potlucks,
>> : they always vanish like dew before the sun. I have a recipe somwhere
>> for
>> : fancy ones with a pate filling, but I really prefer the old-fashioned
>> kind,
>> : especially when well made. (Meaning the filling has to be whipped
>> smooth,
>> : and no sweet additives such as relish. )
>> but lways wither mustard or coleman's mustard powder in judicious
>> amounts., a littls mayo , salt and pepper and that's about it for me.
>>
>> Wendy

I like mayo, mustard, and dillweed.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> haleymcadams1 wrote:
>> That's really good to hear, Julie! All in all I think you did have
>> fun
>> with your family. With the foods you mentioned, I definitely have a
>> special cravings for deviled eggs which I really like to know how to
>> prepare those. In some cases, people do differ their tastes in foods.
>> Sometimes you are kind of finding the right taste which I think
>> happened to you guys.

> I love deviled eggs. I think most people do. When I bring them to
> potlucks, they always vanish like dew before the sun. I have a recipe
> somwhere for fancy ones with a pate filling, but I really prefer the
> old-fashioned kind, especially when well made. (Meaning the filling
> has to be whipped smooth, and no sweet additives such as relish. )

Devilled eggs and raw veggies always go at parties I bring them to. I
think deep down people really like eating healthy food especially if it
is already prepared for them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> I like mayo, mustard, and dillweed.

I've never tried them with dill, fresh I presume?

Fresh dill with butter and lemon is how I like my fish served.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> I like mayo, mustard, and dillweed.
>>

> I've never tried them with dill, fresh I presume?
>
> Fresh dill with butter and lemon is how I like my fish served.

No, I just use the dried dill. I usually have fresh basil,sage, and garlic
grass growing, but not dill.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Janet > wrote:
>> haleymcadams1 wrote:
>>> That's really good to hear, Julie! All in all I think you did have
>>> fun with your family. With the foods you mentioned, I definitely
>>> have a special cravings for deviled eggs which I really like to
>>> know how to prepare those. In some cases, people do differ their
>>> tastes in foods. Sometimes you are kind of finding the right taste
>>> which I think happened to you guys.

>> I love deviled eggs. I think most people do. When I bring them to
>> potlucks, they always vanish like dew before the sun. I have a
>> recipe somwhere for fancy ones with a pate filling, but I really
>> prefer the old-fashioned kind, especially when well made. (Meaning
>> the filling has to be whipped smooth, and no sweet additives such as
>> relish. )

> but lways wither mustard or coleman's mustard powder in judicious
> amounts., a littls mayo , salt and pepper and that's about it for me.
>
> Wendy

Definitely all of the above, plus a few shots of Tabasco sauce. Fresh minced
chives either on top or in the puree. And I pipe it onto the egg whites with
a big star tip.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> haleymcadams1 wrote:
>>> That's really good to hear, Julie! All in all I think you did have
>>> fun
>>> with your family. With the foods you mentioned, I definitely have a
>>> special cravings for deviled eggs which I really like to know how to
>>> prepare those. In some cases, people do differ their tastes in
>>> foods. Sometimes you are kind of finding the right taste which I
>>> think happened to you guys.

>> I love deviled eggs. I think most people do. When I bring them to
>> potlucks, they always vanish like dew before the sun. I have a recipe
>> somwhere for fancy ones with a pate filling, but I really prefer the
>> old-fashioned kind, especially when well made. (Meaning the filling
>> has to be whipped smooth, and no sweet additives such as relish. )

> Devilled eggs and raw veggies always go at parties I bring them to. I
> think deep down people really like eating healthy food especially if
> it is already prepared for them.

I've never thought of deviled eggs as healthy! Always as an indulgence. But
I definitely do love them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/19/2011 4:57 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> Devilled eggs and raw veggies always go at parties I bring them to. I
> think deep down people really like eating healthy food especially if it
> is already prepared for them.

Those have been my favourites for years....... pre-diabetes as well

(now i can't have too much tater salad...... that's ok)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/19/2011 4:57 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> Devilled eggs and raw veggies always go at parties I bring them to. I
>> think deep down people really like eating healthy food especially if
>> it
>> is already prepared for them.

> Those have been my favourites for years....... pre-diabetes as well
>
> (now i can't have too much tater salad...... that's ok)
>
> kate

Hard boiled eggs quartered, crispy bacon, shallots, peppers, finely cut
celery and a few bits of potato with skin plus dressing. Potato salad
with little potato in it

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On 9/19/2011 4:57 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
: >> Devilled eggs and raw veggies always go at parties I bring them to. I
: >> think deep down people really like eating healthy food especially if
: >> it
: >> is already prepared for them.
: >
: > Those have been my favourites for years....... pre-diabetes as well
: >
: > (now i can't have too much tater salad...... that's ok)
: >
: > kate

: Hard boiled eggs quartered, crispy bacon, shallots, peppers, finely cut
: celery and a few bits of potato with skin plus dressing. Potato salad
: with little potato in it

I havn't made tis for ears, but ouwld make potatoebroccoli or pitato
ctring bean salad. half potatoe half green vegetable,e ach cooded
separately, I wold not use mayo, but a mustard vinegrete put on
hotpotatoes , only adding the steamed or microes greenvegetable righ
before serving so that it woudl not turn gray from the acid. about half
the carb impact.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>

> : "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > On 9/19/2011 4:57 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> : >> Devilled eggs and raw veggies always go at parties I bring them
> to. I
> : >> think deep down people really like eating healthy food especially
> if
> : >> it
> : >> is already prepared for them.
> : >
> : > Those have been my favourites for years....... pre-diabetes as
> well
> : >
> : > (now i can't have too much tater salad...... that's ok)
> : >
> : > kate
>
> : Hard boiled eggs quartered, crispy bacon, shallots, peppers, finely
> cut
> : celery and a few bits of potato with skin plus dressing. Potato
> salad
> : with little potato in it
>
> I havn't made tis for ears, but ouwld make potatoebroccoli or pitato
> ctring bean salad. half potatoe half green vegetable,e ach cooded
> separately, I wold not use mayo, but a mustard vinegrete put on
> hotpotatoes , only adding the steamed or microes greenvegetable righ
> before serving so that it woudl not turn gray from the acid. about
> half
> the carb impact.
>
> Wendy

Sounds good too. Potato salad doesn't have to be predominantly potato
I have added sweet potato too (that has never affected my bg's in
moderation). I use various dressings but the one I like most is actually
commercial potato salad dressing. I guess because back in the day here
most potato salad made at home used it so i have got used to the
flavour.

What is your mustard vinaigrette? Do you heat it first? I know a lot of
people who heat vinegar based dressings before putting on salad.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Ozgirl > wrote:
: >
: >
: > : "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
: > : ...
: > : > On 9/19/2011 4:57 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
: > : >> Devilled eggs and raw veggies always go at parties I bring them
: > to. I
: > : >> think deep down people really like eating healthy food especially
: > if
: > : >> it
: > : >> is already prepared for them.
: > : >
[...]

Essentially, it is cider or wine or malt vinegar or a misture and good
olive oil with apulverized garlic clove or so, salt and pepper and a god
dollop of a good deli mustart to taste. I put this onto te choppedred
onions and hot potatoes just draind and chunked so I don't need to heat
the vinegarlet it get absorbed and then refigerated it, if you want
overnight. Add the breen vegetable just befor serving and mix lightly,
but well. I generally just eyeball it rather than measure. If you like
you can put some lemon juice in there too but not only lemon juice.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/20/2011 4:55 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 9/19/2011 4:57 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>> Devilled eggs and raw veggies always go at parties I bring them to. I
>>> think deep down people really like eating healthy food especially if it
>>> is already prepared for them.

>> Those have been my favourites for years....... pre-diabetes as well
>>
>> (now i can't have too much tater salad...... that's ok)
>>
>> kate

> Hard boiled eggs quartered, crispy bacon, shallots, peppers, finely cut
> celery and a few bits of potato with skin plus dressing. Potato salad
> with little potato in it

oh, i love my 'full' potato salad, so i just limit how much i get of it
and what time of day i get to have it!

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/20/2011 4:55 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> Those have been my favourites for years....... pre-diabetes as well
>>>
>>> (now i can't have too much tater salad...... that's ok)
>>>
>>> kate

>> Hard boiled eggs quartered, crispy bacon, shallots, peppers, finely cut
>> celery and a few bits of potato with skin plus dressing. Potato salad
>> with little potato in it

> oh, i love my 'full' potato salad, so i just limit how much i get of it
> and what time of day i get to have it!

Since I can't have mayo any more and I don't like sour cream, I found a
recipe that uses olive oil. It was similar to this one:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/20...r_potato_salad

I used a sugar substitute and more onion than potato.

Member

Gusy I have to get the recipe of goat meat with some cheese I really love to eat this. and also share some healthy recipes that are good form healthy of pan cakes.