Diabetic (alt.food.diabetic) This group is for the discussion of controlled-portion eating plans for the dietary management of diabetes.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #106 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2011, 02:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,390
Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food

Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Tiger Lily wrote:
: : On 9/4/2011 6:22 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: : Tiger wrote:
:
: : : The is an elderly couple who take a taxi to/from the restaurant
: every
: : : day for their dinner. Dinner is 4:30 pm for them and they take home
: 1/2
: : : the senior's portion they just ate. The lady indicates that a soft
: : : boiled egg, toast and coffee is their morning meal; the left overs
: are
: : : their mid day meal; dinner ensures they have at least lunch at home
: the
: : : next day.
: :
: : : i didn't define elderly
: : : he's 102 and she's 97
: :
: : : kate
: :
: : Do they have a senior feeding program either like senior lunches for
: a
: : small fee or meals on wheels whic bring a prepared meal to the house 5
: das
: : a week? The other meals woul only entail light shopping that your
: mother
: : could learn to do or that one of you could send over or oder from the
: : computer.
: :
: : Wendy
:
: : Wendy, Meals on Wheels provides this service to the elderly. I don't
: : know about the remote area that Julie's parents live in. I know some
: : restaurants make your choice from 10 items, prepared in advance, frozen
: : and you only need to reheat them. These would be more upscale meals and
: : typically are a touch more appealing than the meals on wheels options.
:
: : kate
:
: In the very rural Margateville area there is a senior feeding program at
: the local Methodist church(not church run, but gov't run) it has a luch
: program for those who can travel or be bussed there and home delivered
: meals for those who are homebound. Menus issues monthly-no choice, but
: very inexpensive and standard institutional nutritions. Many of the town
: have a similar program in Delaware county. Judging from the number of
: food stores that Julie seems to have available at less than 50 miles away,
: I would say that her area is far less rural than Delaware County.

: My parents live in a suburb of Seattle with pretty much all they might need
: except perhaps for some medical specialists which is why he was transferred
: to that specific hospital. There is a grocery store within walking distance
: from their house. Also some restaurants but for the most part not ones they
: would eat in. There is a Subway. My dad likes it. My mom does not. My
: dad can not walk very far. My mom can, but given her macular degeneration I
: feel it would be unsafe for her to go out on her own. She knows that she
: has it, but seems to be in severe denial about how bad it is. She still
: seems to think that what she sees (or doesn't see) is what everyone else
: sees.

: When my dad was driving she would yell at him for jerking the car around
: having no clue that he had actually changed to another lane. When we would
: tell her that he did she would either say that she didn't know or that he
: really hadn't done that.

: Once I commented on a woman's green eye shadow (she was totally dressed in
: green) and my mom tried to tell me that I couldn't see the woman's eyes.
: But I clearly could.

Does she have he dry or wet kind of macular degeneratin? the wet kind,
which I have, can sually be treated by frequent injectioons b a retina
specialist. Medicare covers it.

Wendy

  #107 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2011, 03:22 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,962
Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food


"W. Baker" wrote in message
...
Julie Bove wrote:

: "Cheri" wrote in message
: ...
: "Storrmmee" wrote in message
: ...
: had we to do it over, we would have rented and banked the difference,
: that would have really allowed for a lot more travel, Lee
:
: We bought our house late in life, and now I wish we had just kept
renting.
: New roofs, and many upgrades aren't cheap, and moving on in retirement
: isn't all that easy with a house to sell, especially in this market.
:-)

: I don't know where my husband got this idea from but he thought he could
buy
: a house and make a ton of money by selling it in a few years. Nobody
could
: talk him out of that notion. I am sick of this house and all of its
: problems.

That was the idea that tones of peole had and that was encouraged by
banks, realtos, etc who then sold houses with trick mortgages tht went way
up in interest rates afeter a few years. The assumptin was that the house
woul dbe worth so much more that the people who would be unable to pay the
high interest rates would be able to sell out at the higher price and do
the same thing al oer again.

You may not have had the adjustable mortgage, but your husband had the
idea that many many people had and that ultimately led to the finanial and
housing crash that has led to the terrible current economy. Your husband
was far from alone. Many Americans kept taking out money fromtheir houses
by refinancing or takign out second mortgages that when the housing prices
fell, they were left underwater(house worth less than mortgage).


There is no way I would get an ARM.


  #108 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2011, 03:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,962
Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food


"W. Baker" wrote in message
...
If your Dad is on regular medicare, not an advantage plan(Ieach of those
works differently) he should get certain home care once he is ou of the
rehab. with Syd it was 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, of home health aid,
who can cook or do light cleaning and help with personal care, 3 times a
week physical therapy and 3 times a week occupational therapy. this help
decreases over time unti it disappears. It can help but you miht need to
hire someone for more hours if your Mother can't handle everything.



They have a maid. They will not be in the house when she is in. He would
not put up with other people coming into the house. And I don't know what
kind of Medicare he has.


  #109 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2011, 03:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,619
Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food

you need to know that in some medicare instances, if he refuses the
recommended/prescribed help they can refuse to pay for tretments that
medicare feels could have been prevented by the recommended services, ie, if
physical therapy is recoomended and he has a joint issue or mobility issue
later they can, and do refuse to pay, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
...

"W. Baker" wrote in message
...
If your Dad is on regular medicare, not an advantage plan(Ieach of those
works differently) he should get certain home care once he is ou of the
rehab. with Syd it was 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, of home health aid,
who can cook or do light cleaning and help with personal care, 3 times a
week physical therapy and 3 times a week occupational therapy. this help
decreases over time unti it disappears. It can help but you miht need to
hire someone for more hours if your Mother can't handle everything.



They have a maid. They will not be in the house when she is in. He would
not put up with other people coming into the house. And I don't know what
kind of Medicare he has.



  #110 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2011, 04:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,620
Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
...
wasn't it you that talked about being paranoid of bed bugs and you having
your dh shower in the sauna area? or am i confusing you with someone else?


There's no such thing as being paranoid over bedbugs. Anyone who's ever had
an infestation can tell you that. :-)

Cheri



  #111 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,619
Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food

those were her words, i think even more paranoid about bedbugs than
cockroaches, both are hidious, Lee
"Cheri" wrote in message
...
"Storrmmee" wrote in message
...
wasn't it you that talked about being paranoid of bed bugs and you having
your dh shower in the sauna area? or am i confusing you with someone
else?


There's no such thing as being paranoid over bedbugs. Anyone who's ever
had an infestation can tell you that. :-)

Cheri



  #112 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,620
Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food

"Susan" wrote in message
...

It'll go up again, foreclosure inventory has to go down, first. I know
you'd like to leave, though, frustrating. We were so broke in that last
house (my disability, Tom's former business suffering in the severe
recession) that we barely hung on, were often behind on the mortgage
payments... but it really paid off eventually.


I'm sure it will go up again eventually, but we're not spring chickens and
don't have all that much time to wait. LOL


Cheri

  #113 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:31 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 121
Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food

On 9/6/2011 12:07 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
am i again wrong that YOU said you were more paranoid about bed bugs ththan
cockroaches, i used that line as a reference to the post i was speaking
about, your ability to take offense and insult and everything so personally
is overly amasing, i simply am amased that you are so fond of yourself that
you can be so easily offended, again if i am wrong and it wasn't you that
used the term even more paranoid i will apologise,


I am simply amazed at how much you get wrong, and then blame someone
else for.


Susan
  #114 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,962
Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food


"W. Baker" wrote in message
...
Julie Bove wrote:

: "Storrmmee" wrote in message
: ...
: you need to discuss this with the doc without them around, i really
hate
: saying that but if you want them healthy, and if you want to not be
blamed
: for a health issue not of your making you are going to have to get
some
: rules set out, Lee

: Alas I have not seen a Dr. when I was visiting.

GEt a name and phone number and contact hir if your Mom is not fully able
to get instructions or infomtion clear.


I'm not sure they could talk to me with the HIPAA laws being what they are.


  #115 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,962
Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food


"W. Baker" wrote in message
...
Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Tiger Lily wrote:
: : On 9/4/2011 6:22 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: : Tiger wrote:
:
: : : The is an elderly couple who take a taxi to/from the restaurant
: every
: : : day for their dinner. Dinner is 4:30 pm for them and they take
home
: 1/2
: : : the senior's portion they just ate. The lady indicates that a
soft
: : : boiled egg, toast and coffee is their morning meal; the left
overs
: are
: : : their mid day meal; dinner ensures they have at least lunch at
home
: the
: : : next day.
: :
: : : i didn't define elderly
: : : he's 102 and she's 97
: :
: : : kate
: :
: : Do they have a senior feeding program either like senior lunches
for
: a
: : small fee or meals on wheels whic bring a prepared meal to the
house 5
: das
: : a week? The other meals woul only entail light shopping that your
: mother
: : could learn to do or that one of you could send over or oder from
the
: : computer.
: :
: : Wendy
:
: : Wendy, Meals on Wheels provides this service to the elderly. I
don't
: : know about the remote area that Julie's parents live in. I know
some
: : restaurants make your choice from 10 items, prepared in advance,
frozen
: : and you only need to reheat them. These would be more upscale meals
and
: : typically are a touch more appealing than the meals on wheels
options.
:
: : kate
:
: In the very rural Margateville area there is a senior feeding program
at
: the local Methodist church(not church run, but gov't run) it has a
luch
: program for those who can travel or be bussed there and home delivered
: meals for those who are homebound. Menus issues monthly-no choice,
but
: very inexpensive and standard institutional nutritions. Many of the
town
: have a similar program in Delaware county. Judging from the number
of
: food stores that Julie seems to have available at less than 50 miles
away,
: I would say that her area is far less rural than Delaware County.

: My parents live in a suburb of Seattle with pretty much all they might
need
: except perhaps for some medical specialists which is why he was
transferred
: to that specific hospital. There is a grocery store within walking
distance
: from their house. Also some restaurants but for the most part not ones
they
: would eat in. There is a Subway. My dad likes it. My mom does not.
My
: dad can not walk very far. My mom can, but given her macular
degeneration I
: feel it would be unsafe for her to go out on her own. She knows that
she
: has it, but seems to be in severe denial about how bad it is. She still
: seems to think that what she sees (or doesn't see) is what everyone else
: sees.

: When my dad was driving she would yell at him for jerking the car around
: having no clue that he had actually changed to another lane. When we
would
: tell her that he did she would either say that she didn't know or that
he
: really hadn't done that.

: Once I commented on a woman's green eye shadow (she was totally dressed
in
: green) and my mom tried to tell me that I couldn't see the woman's eyes.
: But I clearly could.

Does she have he dry or wet kind of macular degeneratin? the wet kind,
which I have, can sually be treated by frequent injectioons b a retina
specialist. Medicare covers it.


She won't tell me.




  #116 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:50 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,619
Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food

i wish i could find that exact post, but i have looked for a while and can't
and i also realise that you/your opinions while valid in some nutritonal
subjects are valid your opinion and need to be right isn't worth my time...
so i will once again decide to not respond to this conversation so please go
ahead and have the last word, Lee
"Susan" wrote in message
...
On 9/6/2011 12:07 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
am i again wrong that YOU said you were more paranoid about bed bugs
ththan
cockroaches, i used that line as a reference to the post i was speaking
about, your ability to take offense and insult and everything so
personally
is overly amasing, i simply am amased that you are so fond of yourself
that
you can be so easily offended, again if i am wrong and it wasn't you that
used the term even more paranoid i will apologise,


I am simply amazed at how much you get wrong, and then blame someone else
for.


Susan



  #117 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2011, 07:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,390
Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food

Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Julie Bove wrote:
:
: : "Cheri" wrote in message
: : ...
: : "Storrmmee" wrote in message
: : ...
: : had we to do it over, we would have rented and banked the difference,
: : that would have really allowed for a lot more travel, Lee
: :
: : We bought our house late in life, and now I wish we had just kept
: renting.
: : New roofs, and many upgrades aren't cheap, and moving on in retirement
: : isn't all that easy with a house to sell, especially in this market.
: :-)
:
: : I don't know where my husband got this idea from but he thought he could
: buy
: : a house and make a ton of money by selling it in a few years. Nobody
: could
: : talk him out of that notion. I am sick of this house and all of its
: : problems.
:
: That was the idea that tones of peole had and that was encouraged by
: banks, realtos, etc who then sold houses with trick mortgages tht went way
: up in interest rates afeter a few years. The assumptin was that the house
: woul dbe worth so much more that the people who would be unable to pay the
: high interest rates would be able to sell out at the higher price and do
: the same thing al oer again.
:
: You may not have had the adjustable mortgage, but your husband had the
: idea that many many people had and that ultimately led to the finanial and
: housing crash that has led to the terrible current economy. Your husband
: was far from alone. Many Americans kept taking out money fromtheir houses
: by refinancing or takign out second mortgages that when the housing prices
: fell, they were left underwater(house worth less than mortgage).

: There is no way I would get an ARM.
If you read what I said, no one accused you oor your husband of doing
that.

Wendy

  #118 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2011, 08:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,390
Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food

Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: If your Dad is on regular medicare, not an advantage plan(Ieach of those
: works differently) he should get certain home care once he is ou of the
: rehab. with Syd it was 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, of home health aid,
: who can cook or do light cleaning and help with personal care, 3 times a
: week physical therapy and 3 times a week occupational therapy. this help
: decreases over time unti it disappears. It can help but you miht need to
: hire someone for more hours if your Mother can't handle everything.


: They have a maid. They will not be in the house when she is in. He would
: not put up with other people coming into the house. And I don't know what
: kind of Medicare he has.

If he can't go to the bathroom by himself, or walk around, or shower, or
many other of life's activities, he may not have the choice, unless your
mother is a trained health care aid and strong and is willing to devote
herself entirely to being there to take care of him. Evenif he gets
better over time, there will be a loooooong convelescence. How old is he?
that can also affect how wel lhe can recuperate and how long it will take.
Strokes can be fairly mild or very terrible, It sounds like he is in tthe
middle somewhere, but it take a strong ewill, hard work and time even in
the best of cases unless it is caught in the firs 3 hours and he gets the
shot that dissovles the clot. If he finds he canno accept paid help, and
your mother cannot handle it he may well find himself in a nursing home
before very long, even if it might not be fully necessary. In that case,
once he has used up his savings etc, he will, most liki=y go on Medicade
to pay the home and there will be a lien on his house so it can't be sold
unless the State gets it money back that it has paid out for the nursing
home.

I sincerely hope he recouperates adn can resume a normal or close to
normal life, but that cannot be asured at this time and what the physical
therrapy community considers functinal may well NOT be where he was befoe
or where he and your mother would like him to be. Sorry to be so blunt,
but I have seen so much of this in my life. In famillies with little
money who want to avoid nusrsing homes, the kids have to do a great deal
to help out, either pysicall taking care orf that is impossible, in doign
the shopping, managing, just baby sittingso mom can get out for a little
time, etc.

Wendy


  #119 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2011, 10:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,614
Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food

Depends on the abilities and wants of the young adults. Obviously I have
to make decisions for Jasmine but for those people who comprehend what
is happening they often choose workshop or have a desire to to work in
normal workplaces. There are organisations that help people into work if
they desire. Then of course there are choices to be made about housing.
Whether you want or your child wants to live in group home, institution
or stay at home. I would like to see jasmine do something outside the
home as she tends to veg out at home whereas there is more activities at
school, workshops etc.


"W. Baker" wrote in message
...
Ozgirl wrote:
: It would but she is 15 and she can stay at school until the year she
: turns 18 so there are only 3 and a bit years of schooling left for
her
: anyway. I am only minutes by car to the ocean anyway. She goes by
: special transport but from time to time I drive to the ocean and
just
: sit and look at the water

Sorry to ask. What appens once school is finished? I know tht peole
in
the US also have this problem. Usualy called aging out.

Wendy

  #120 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2011, 10:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 408
Default Swedish Hospital Cherry Hill Food

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

When you live in the NYC area, as Susan and I do, you have to function
with very high real estate prices. This also applies to many urban area
in the US.

Wendy


Boston isn't quite as bad as New York or San Francisco, but I was
shocked when my mother was selling the family house in Vermont. It's a
150 year old farmhouse, winterized, with both wood and oil furnaces:
living room, dining room, half bath, and huge farmer's kitchen & pantry
downstairs, four bedrooms and full bath upstairs, attached woodshed,
workshop, barn, front and kitchen porches. Nothing modernized except
for the heating and the slate roof, plus between 75 and 100 acres of
land (fields and wooded hills) on all four sides. She was able to get
$160K for it. My tiny (1200 sq. ft. max) two bedroom 1920s house with
minor upgrades on 7,000 sq. ft. lot, one block behind a public housing
complex in an outer neighborhood of Boston was worth more than twice
that! I'd paid only $119,500 in 1998, but the neighborhood was on the
way up at the time and didn't top out until a couple of years ago.

Now, she did want to sell to someone she knew, but I did a bunch of
comps, and she couldn't have gotten much more for it than that. The
folks who bought the place had 3 kids, I think. They were
home-schooled, and each kid had an animal of choice -- not just the
usual dog or cat, but I can't remember what they all were. Sheep?
Goat? The place had been a goat farm 70 years ago, so that would have
been an appropriate choice. Apparently they love the place, and I think
they're a good fit. Part of the deal was having it written in that we
may come and scatter Mother's ashes on the hill up behind the house when
the time comes.

That reminds me, I haven't gotten an update from my mother on how the
family was affected by the floods. The road washes out regularly, and
I've seen pictures of what Irene did to it a little further on, but not
by the house.

Priscilla
--
"What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
- Chris Malcolm


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Food at Children's Hospital Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 0 24-08-2011 04:38 AM
FA Sweden Swedish Traditional cookery cook book food 1938 Alys Marketplace 0 09-09-2008 09:02 PM
Hospital Food (sort of a Brother Update) jmcquown General Cooking 36 06-10-2007 03:16 AM
Hospital Food (a DH Update) The Joneses[_1_] Preserving 21 06-10-2007 03:16 AM
Hospital food... Chatty Cathy General Cooking 54 14-10-2006 08:41 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017