Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Found some bread that Angela can eat.

We actually had some in the cupboard! I didn't realize it was so low in
carbs. It isn't her favorite but it is her second favorite. It's made of
corn and the slices are small. It has 7 g of carb per slice and 3 g of
fiber. Yay! I found a few others that are about the same or just slightly
more carb. And Ener-G has put back their 2 slice packs! I love those! Yes
it is a lot more expensive to buy the bread that way. But once you open a
loaf of gluten free bread it goes very bad very quickly. She has never been
able to finish a loaf, except for the time I used it to make stuffing. Then
I used a couple of loaves. Oddly she was the only one who didn't like that
stuffing. Everyone else loved it.

We also found some dried/dehydrated fruit crisps at Costco. She would not
even consider those prior but she knows now what she has to eat. Hopefully
she will like them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
[...]

I keep sliced low carb bread in the freezer, only taking out the slices I
need as it goes moldy even in the frige at the rate i eat it. Just keep
it near the door so you don't have to go digging for it when you want
some.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : We actually had some in the cupboard! I didn't realize it was so low in
> : carbs. It isn't her favorite but it is her second favorite. It's made
> of
> : corn and the slices are small. It has 7 g of carb per slice and 3 g of
> : fiber. Yay! I found a few others that are about the same or just
> slightly
> : more carb. And Ener-G has put back their 2 slice packs! I love those!
> Yes
> : it is a lot more expensive to buy the bread that way. But once you open
> : loaf of gluten free bread it goes very bad very quickly. She has never
> been
> : able to finish a loaf, except for the time I used it to make stuffing.
> Then
> : I used a couple of loaves. Oddly she was the only one who didn't like
> that
> : stuffing. Everyone else loved it.
>
> : We also found some dried/dehydrated fruit crisps at Costco. She would
> not
> : even consider those prior but she knows now what she has to eat.
> Hopefully
> : she will like them.
> I keep sliced low carb bread in the freezer, only taking out the slices I
> need as it goes moldy even in the frige at the rate i eat it. Just keep
> it near the door so you don't have to go digging for it when you want
> some.

You can't freeze freeze low carb bread. The slices either stick together
and/or crumble. Yes, some is sold frozen but it almost always has egg in
it. Hers has no egg.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>> : We actually had some in the cupboard! I didn't realize it was so
>> low in
>> : carbs. It isn't her favorite but it is her second favorite. It's
>> made of
>> : corn and the slices are small. It has 7 g of carb per slice and 3
>> g of
>> : fiber. Yay! I found a few others that are about the same or just
>> slightly
>> : more carb. And Ener-G has put back their 2 slice packs! I love
>> those! Yes
>> : it is a lot more expensive to buy the bread that way. But once you
>> open a
>> : loaf of gluten free bread it goes very bad very quickly. She has
>> never been
>> : able to finish a loaf, except for the time I used it to make
>> stuffing. Then
>> : I used a couple of loaves. Oddly she was the only one who didn't
>> like that
>> : stuffing. Everyone else loved it.
>>
>> : We also found some dried/dehydrated fruit crisps at Costco. She
>> would not
>> : even consider those prior but she knows now what she has to eat.
>> Hopefully
>> : she will like them.
>> I keep sliced low carb bread in the freezer, only taking out the
>> slices I
>> need as it goes moldy even in the frige at the rate i eat it. Just
>> keep
>> it near the door so you don't have to go digging for it when you want
>> some.

> You can't freeze freeze low carb bread. The slices either stick
> together and/or crumble. Yes, some is sold frozen but it almost
> always has egg in it. Hers has no egg.

During the Atkins craze here you could actually buy low carb bread
(without egg) and I have never had it stick or crumble. Some regular
breads stick, depends on the brand. With those I wrap a few slices in
plastic wrap rather than freeze the whole loaf as one item.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I keep sliced low carb bread in the freezer, only taking out the
>>> slices I
>>> need as it goes moldy even in the frige at the rate i eat it. Just
>>> keep
>>> it near the door so you don't have to go digging for it when you
>>> want some.

>> You can't freeze freeze low carb bread. The slices either stick
>> together and/or crumble. Yes, some is sold frozen but it almost
>> always has egg in it. Hers has no egg.

> During the Atkins craze here you could actually buy low carb bread
> (without egg) and I have never had it stick or crumble. Some regular
> breads stick, depends on the brand. With those I wrap a few slices in
> plastic wrap rather than freeze the whole loaf as one item.

I said it wrong. I meant gluten free bread. Sorry. I am under a
tremendous amount of stress at the moment and my brain isn't working.

I don't personally know how people can eat bread that has been frozen. The
texture is very bad to me and I won't eat it except to make toast.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: Ozgirl wrote:
: > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >>
: >> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: >> ...
: >>> Julie Bove > wrote:
: >>>> We actually had some in the cupboard! I didn't realize it was so
: >>>> low in carbs. It isn't her favorite but it is her second
: >>>> favorite. It's made of corn and the slices are small. It has 7 g
: >>>> of carb per slice and 3 g of fiber. Yay! I found a few others
: >>>> that are about the same or just slightly more carb. And Ener-G
: >>>> has put back their 2 slice packs! I love those! Yes it is a lot
: >>>> more expensive to buy the bread that way. But once you open a
: >>>> loaf of gluten free bread it goes very bad very quickly. She has
: >>>> never been able to finish a loaf, except for the time I used it to
: >>>> make stuffing. Then I used a couple of loaves. Oddly she was the
: >>>> only one who didn't like that stuffing. Everyone else loved it.
: >>>
: >>>> We also found some dried/dehydrated fruit crisps at Costco. She
: >>>> would not even consider those prior but she knows now what she has
: >>>> to eat. Hopefully she will like them.
: >>> I keep sliced low carb bread in the freezer, only taking out the
: >>> slices I
: >>> need as it goes moldy even in the frige at the rate i eat it. Just
: >>> keep
: >>> it near the door so you don't have to go digging for it when you
: >>> want some.
: >>
: >> You can't freeze freeze low carb bread. The slices either stick
: >> together and/or crumble. Yes, some is sold frozen but it almost
: >> always has egg in it. Hers has no egg.
: >
: > During the Atkins craze here you could actually buy low carb bread
: > (without egg) and I have never had it stick or crumble. Some regular
: > breads stick, depends on the brand. With those I wrap a few slices in
: > plastic wrap rather than freeze the whole loaf as one item.

: I said it wrong. I meant gluten free bread. Sorry. I am under a
: tremendous amount of stress at the moment and my brain isn't working.

: I don't personally know how people can eat bread that has been frozen. The
: texture is very bad to me and I won't eat it except to make toast.
I always bake my challah for the jewish High Holidays early and freeze
them. They come out just fine, andif slightly heated taste like just out
of the oven. These are OT gluten free, but Julie was criticizing any
frozen bread.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>> Ozgirl wrote:

>>> During the Atkins craze here you could actually buy low carb bread
>>> (without egg) and I have never had it stick or crumble. Some regular
>>> breads stick, depends on the brand. With those I wrap a few slices
>>> in plastic wrap rather than freeze the whole loaf as one item.

>> I said it wrong. I meant gluten free bread. Sorry. I am under a
>> tremendous amount of stress at the moment and my brain isn't working.

>> I don't personally know how people can eat bread that has been
>> frozen. The texture is very bad to me and I won't eat it except to
>> make toast.

> I always bake my challah for the jewish High Holidays early and
> freeze them. They come out just fine, andif slightly heated taste
> like just out of the oven. These are OT gluten free, but Julie was
> criticizing any frozen bread.

I don't personally like frozen bread. I was forced to eat it (thankfully
not often) when I was growing up. I hated it. We didn't eat bread very
often. I have never had Challah and don't think I would. It doesn't look
at all appealing to me and I think it has eggs. Doesn't it? I can't have
eggs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: > : That didn't work for me either. Now I usually just skip things that
: > require
: > : eggs or I use flaxmeal and water. I should say that I made a yellow
: > cake
: > : (mix) with the egg replacer and Angela said it was good. But the
: > texture
: > : didn't look very good to me.
: > If Angela finds it OK just go with it. Don't require her to adopt all
: > your extreme pickiness, which you have cited frequently.

: What? Are you kidding? She has to eat a low carb diet. No more cake! And
: she *is* a picky eater. My entire family are picky eaters.

Julie, you shoudl learn to generalize in a discussion. there is a general
idea that you shuld not give your problem habits to a child if possible.
It applies to more than just the single dake you were talkingaboaut that
You didn't find appetizing, but Angela liked. Of course, she won't be
able t eat THAT particular food now, but there may well be other LO CARB
foods SHE will like that you may not. Don't discourage her from having
them just because YOU don't like them. That is one sure way to pass
pickiness from one generation to the next.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : > : That didn't work for me either. Now I usually just skip things that
> : > require
> : > : eggs or I use flaxmeal and water. I should say that I made a yellow
> : > cake
> : > : (mix) with the egg replacer and Angela said it was good. But the
> : > texture
> : > : didn't look very good to me.
> : > If Angela finds it OK just go with it. Don't require her to adopt all
> : > your extreme pickiness, which you have cited frequently.
>
> : What? Are you kidding? She has to eat a low carb diet. No more cake!
> And
> : she *is* a picky eater. My entire family are picky eaters.
>
> Julie, you shoudl learn to generalize in a discussion. there is a general
> idea that you shuld not give your problem habits to a child if possible.
> It applies to more than just the single dake you were talkingaboaut that
> You didn't find appetizing, but Angela liked. Of course, she won't be
> able t eat THAT particular food now, but there may well be other LO CARB
> foods SHE will like that you may not. Don't discourage her from having
> them just because YOU don't like them. That is one sure way to pass
> pickiness from one generation to the next.

I don't like *any* kind of cake. And I would never encourage anyone to like
sweets. I did manage to keep them from her until she was 2. And then other
people kept giving them to her.

I have never discouraged her from trying healthy foods. She likes a lot of
food that I can't stand. Like ham, chicken and pastrami.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "W. Baker" >
wrote:

> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : > : That didn't work for me either. Now I usually just skip things that
> : > require
> : > : eggs or I use flaxmeal and water. I should say that I made a yellow
> : > cake
> : > : (mix) with the egg replacer and Angela said it was good. But the
> : > texture
> : > : didn't look very good to me.
> : > If Angela finds it OK just go with it. Don't require her to adopt all
> : > your extreme pickiness, which you have cited frequently.
>
> : What? Are you kidding? She has to eat a low carb diet. No more cake!
> : And she *is* a picky eater. My entire family are picky eaters.
>
> Julie, you shoudl learn to generalize in a discussion. there is a general
> idea that you shuld not give your problem habits to a child if possible. It
> applies to more than just the single dake you were talkingaboaut that You
> didn't find appetizing, but Angela liked. Of course, she won't be able t eat
> THAT particular food now, but there may well be other LO CARB foods SHE will
> like that you may not. Don't discourage her from having them just because
> YOU don't like them. That is one sure way to pass pickiness from one
> generation to the next.
>
> Wendy

there is of course the fact that julie has yet to define exactly what "low
carb" means to her. I am on a low carb diet and can easily handle up to 60
carbs per meal. I try to go lower, but I still easily manage my diabetes with
this level

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" > wrote:
: In article >, "W. Baker" >
: wrote:

: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: >
: > : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
[...]

Then o are fortunate. Msto of us here find that 60 grams of carb per meal
wold cause real problems and require usto take far moe meds than we are
currently managing with. I fine that about 30 works well for me.
tonight, for example I am havign a bit treat, an ear of very fresh corn on
the cob. I am having this with a nice treat steak and a medium green
salad with ome made vinegretteand NO fruit dessert. I will have a glas of
dry red wine tonight as it is the Sabbath.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
<snip>

> I don't personally like frozen bread. I was forced to eat it
> (thankfully not often) when I was growing up. I hated it. We didn't
> eat bread very often. I have never had Challah and don't think I
> would. It doesn't look at all appealing to me and I think it has
> eggs. Doesn't it? I can't have eggs.

Challah is delicious, but it is indeed egg bread.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" > wrote:
> : In article >, "W. Baker"
> >
> : wrote:
>
> : > Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >
> : > : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : > : > : That didn't work for me either. Now I usually just skip things
> that
> : > : > require
> : > : > : eggs or I use flaxmeal and water. I should say that I made a
> yellow
> : > : > cake
> : > : > : (mix) with the egg replacer and Angela said it was good. But
> the
> : > : > texture
> : > : > : didn't look very good to me.
> : > : > If Angela finds it OK just go with it. Don't require her to adopt
> all
> : > : > your extreme pickiness, which you have cited frequently.
> : >
> : > : What? Are you kidding? She has to eat a low carb diet. No more
> cake!
> : > : And she *is* a picky eater. My entire family are picky eaters.
> : >
> : > Julie, you shoudl learn to generalize in a discussion. there is a
> general
> : > idea that you shuld not give your problem habits to a child if
> possible. It
> : > applies to more than just the single dake you were talkingaboaut that
> You
> : > didn't find appetizing, but Angela liked. Of course, she won't be
> able t eat
> : > THAT particular food now, but there may well be other LO CARB foods
> SHE will
> : > like that you may not. Don't discourage her from having them just
> because
> : > YOU don't like them. That is one sure way to pass pickiness from one
> : > generation to the next.
> : >
> : > Wendy
>
> : there is of course the fact that julie has yet to define exactly what
> "low
> : carb" means to her. I am on a low carb diet and can easily handle up to
> 60
> : carbs per meal. I try to go lower, but I still easily manage my diabetes
> with
> : this level
>
> Then o are fortunate. Msto of us here find that 60 grams of carb per meal
> wold cause real problems and require usto take far moe meds than we are
> currently managing with. I fine that about 30 works well for me.
> tonight, for example I am havign a bit treat, an ear of very fresh corn on
> the cob. I am having this with a nice treat steak and a medium green
> salad with ome made vinegretteand NO fruit dessert. I will have a glas of
> dry red wine tonight as it is the Sabbath.

I am *not* on a low carb diet and I can *not* eat 65 grams of carb at one
time. I am for 45 for dinner. Can only do 30 for breakfast.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> I don't personally like frozen bread. I was forced to eat it
>> (thankfully not often) when I was growing up. I hated it. We didn't
>> eat bread very often. I have never had Challah and don't think I
>> would. It doesn't look at all appealing to me and I think it has
>> eggs. Doesn't it? I can't have eggs.

> Challah is delicious, but it is indeed egg bread.

I suppose it might be delicious if you like bread. Bread was never one of
my favorite foods.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

wendy, what is the signifigance of the dry red wine for the sabbath? is it
required or is white or sweet not allowed? sorry for going off the topic of
the thread but i am curious, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" > wrote:
> : In article >, "W. Baker"
> >
> : wrote:
>
> : > Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >
> : > : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : > : > : That didn't work for me either. Now I usually just skip things
> that
> : > : > require
> : > : > : eggs or I use flaxmeal and water. I should say that I made a
> yellow
> : > : > cake
> : > : > : (mix) with the egg replacer and Angela said it was good. But
> the
> : > : > texture
> : > : > : didn't look very good to me.
> : > : > If Angela finds it OK just go with it. Don't require her to adopt
> all
> : > : > your extreme pickiness, which you have cited frequently.
> : >
> : > : What? Are you kidding? She has to eat a low carb diet. No more
> cake!
> : > : And she *is* a picky eater. My entire family are picky eaters.
> : >
> : > Julie, you shoudl learn to generalize in a discussion. there is a
> general
> : > idea that you shuld not give your problem habits to a child if
> possible. It
> : > applies to more than just the single dake you were talkingaboaut that
> You
> : > didn't find appetizing, but Angela liked. Of course, she won't be
> able t eat
> : > THAT particular food now, but there may well be other LO CARB foods
> SHE will
> : > like that you may not. Don't discourage her from having them just
> because
> : > YOU don't like them. That is one sure way to pass pickiness from one
> : > generation to the next.
> : >
> : > Wendy
>
> : there is of course the fact that julie has yet to define exactly what
> "low
> : carb" means to her. I am on a low carb diet and can easily handle up to
> 60
> : carbs per meal. I try to go lower, but I still easily manage my diabetes
> with
> : this level
>
> Then o are fortunate. Msto of us here find that 60 grams of carb per meal
> wold cause real problems and require usto take far moe meds than we are
> currently managing with. I fine that about 30 works well for me.
> tonight, for example I am havign a bit treat, an ear of very fresh corn on
> the cob. I am having this with a nice treat steak and a medium green
> salad with ome made vinegretteand NO fruit dessert. I will have a glas of
> dry red wine tonight as it is the Sabbath.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

this is one of those odd taste things to me, people are either or on
freezeing, doesn't seem to be a middle ground, it doesn't bother me or the
dh, it does my mom but they just do toast, which both my parents prefer
anyway, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : Ozgirl wrote:
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >>
> : >> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : >> ...
> : >>> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >>>> We actually had some in the cupboard! I didn't realize it was so
> : >>>> low in carbs. It isn't her favorite but it is her second
> : >>>> favorite. It's made of corn and the slices are small. It has 7 g
> : >>>> of carb per slice and 3 g of fiber. Yay! I found a few others
> : >>>> that are about the same or just slightly more carb. And Ener-G
> : >>>> has put back their 2 slice packs! I love those! Yes it is a lot
> : >>>> more expensive to buy the bread that way. But once you open a
> : >>>> loaf of gluten free bread it goes very bad very quickly. She has
> : >>>> never been able to finish a loaf, except for the time I used it to
> : >>>> make stuffing. Then I used a couple of loaves. Oddly she was the
> : >>>> only one who didn't like that stuffing. Everyone else loved it.
> : >>>
> : >>>> We also found some dried/dehydrated fruit crisps at Costco. She
> : >>>> would not even consider those prior but she knows now what she has
> : >>>> to eat. Hopefully she will like them.
> : >>> I keep sliced low carb bread in the freezer, only taking out the
> : >>> slices I
> : >>> need as it goes moldy even in the frige at the rate i eat it. Just
> : >>> keep
> : >>> it near the door so you don't have to go digging for it when you
> : >>> want some.
> : >>
> : >> You can't freeze freeze low carb bread. The slices either stick
> : >> together and/or crumble. Yes, some is sold frozen but it almost
> : >> always has egg in it. Hers has no egg.
> : >
> : > During the Atkins craze here you could actually buy low carb bread
> : > (without egg) and I have never had it stick or crumble. Some regular
> : > breads stick, depends on the brand. With those I wrap a few slices in
> : > plastic wrap rather than freeze the whole loaf as one item.
>
> : I said it wrong. I meant gluten free bread. Sorry. I am under a
> : tremendous amount of stress at the moment and my brain isn't working.
>
> : I don't personally know how people can eat bread that has been frozen.
> The
> : texture is very bad to me and I won't eat it except to make toast.
> I always bake my challah for the jewish High Holidays early and freeze
> them. They come out just fine, andif slightly heated taste like just out
> of the oven. These are OT gluten free, but Julie was criticizing any
> frozen bread.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee wrote:
> this is one of those odd taste things to me, people are either or on
> freezeing, doesn't seem to be a middle ground, it doesn't bother me
> or the dh, it does my mom but they just do toast, which both my
> parents prefer anyway, Lee

Texture of food is just as important to me as the taste. And bread that has
been frozen has a bad texture to me.

I was one baffled by a coworker who ate a piece of cake that had been
sitting out uncovered for about 3 days. He said the cake was excellent even
though stale. He said he could tell that it had a good flavor. The
baffling part to me was how he could eat it to begin with. Had I put
something like that in my mouth I would have had to spit it out right away.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> this is one of those odd taste things to me, people are either or on
>> freezeing, doesn't seem to be a middle ground, it doesn't bother me
>> or the dh, it does my mom but they just do toast, which both my
>> parents prefer anyway, Lee

> Texture of food is just as important to me as the taste. And bread
> that has been frozen has a bad texture to me.
>
> I was one baffled by a coworker who ate a piece of cake that had been
> sitting out uncovered for about 3 days. He said the cake was
> excellent even though stale. He said he could tell that it had a good
> flavor. The baffling part to me was how he could eat it to begin
> with. Had I put something like that in my mouth I would have had to
> spit it out right away.

A friend's brother (when we in high school) used to tip his potato
chips out of a packet into a bowl and wouldn't eat them for at least a
week. I used to gag at the thought, lol. I like mine very crispy.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

texture is more important to the dh than me because of his sense of smell, i
don't get that bothered by the change in frozen, bread, its different but
not bad, now serve me some soggy bread and we will hafta rumble, i am good
with most textures except soggy bread and gritty meat, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> this is one of those odd taste things to me, people are either or on
>> freezeing, doesn't seem to be a middle ground, it doesn't bother me
>> or the dh, it does my mom but they just do toast, which both my
>> parents prefer anyway, Lee

> Texture of food is just as important to me as the taste. And bread that
> has been frozen has a bad texture to me.
>
> I was one baffled by a coworker who ate a piece of cake that had been
> sitting out uncovered for about 3 days. He said the cake was excellent
> even though stale. He said he could tell that it had a good flavor. The
> baffling part to me was how he could eat it to begin with. Had I put
> something like that in my mouth I would have had to spit it out right
> away.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the exposure to the air/cooties for that cake or those chips would do me in
long before texture issues, lol, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Storrmmee wrote:
>>> this is one of those odd taste things to me, people are either or on
>>> freezeing, doesn't seem to be a middle ground, it doesn't bother me
>>> or the dh, it does my mom but they just do toast, which both my
>>> parents prefer anyway, Lee

>> Texture of food is just as important to me as the taste. And bread that
>> has been frozen has a bad texture to me.
>>
>> I was one baffled by a coworker who ate a piece of cake that had been
>> sitting out uncovered for about 3 days. He said the cake was excellent
>> even though stale. He said he could tell that it had a good flavor. The
>> baffling part to me was how he could eat it to begin with. Had I put
>> something like that in my mouth I would have had to spit it out right
>> away.

> A friend's brother (when we in high school) used to tip his potato chips
> out of a packet into a bowl and wouldn't eat them for at least a week. I
> used to gag at the thought, lol. I like mine very crispy.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Storrmmee wrote:
>>> this is one of those odd taste things to me, people are either or on
>>> freezeing, doesn't seem to be a middle ground, it doesn't bother me
>>> or the dh, it does my mom but they just do toast, which both my
>>> parents prefer anyway, Lee

>> Texture of food is just as important to me as the taste. And bread that
>> has been frozen has a bad texture to me.
>>
>> I was one baffled by a coworker who ate a piece of cake that had been
>> sitting out uncovered for about 3 days. He said the cake was excellent
>> even though stale. He said he could tell that it had a good flavor. The
>> baffling part to me was how he could eat it to begin with. Had I put
>> something like that in my mouth I would have had to spit it out right
>> away.

> A friend's brother (when we in high school) used to tip his potato chips
> out of a packet into a bowl and wouldn't eat them for at least a week. I
> used to gag at the thought, lol. I like mine very crispy.

I can only eat freshly popped corn. Angela probably prefers it that way but
doesn't mind it if it is stale. I usually pop extra for her and put it in a
bag. She also would never put a chip clip on bags of chips or pretzels.
Drove me nuts! I would throw them out. She didn't mind eating them though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> texture is more important to the dh than me because of his sense of smell,
> i don't get that bothered by the change in frozen, bread, its different
> but not bad, now serve me some soggy bread and we will hafta rumble, i am
> good with most textures except soggy bread and gritty meat, Lee

I don't think I've ever had soggy bread or gritty meat.

But one of the worst meals I ever had was put on by some fancy men's club in
NY. The Coast Guard was having the party and it was a formal affair which I
hate going to to begin with. I'm much more of a casual person.

And given that it was a formal affair I would have expected spectacular
food. Such was not the case.

This was at the beginning of the problems with my blood sugar. Or should I
say part 2. I had problems with highs in the past, had gotten it under
control and then it got out of control again. The dinner was served late in
the evening so I was starving. They had cream of tomato soup. I didn't
dare eat that because such soups are usually a lot higher in carbs than
you'd think they would be. Plus I do not like cream things. Then there was
beef Stroganoff with noodles, which I can't stand, again because of the
cream. Then some sort of chicken in cream. I couldn't eat that either.
There were mashed potatoes, all sorts of desserts and salad. I took a big
plate of salad and just a little of the potatoes. The salad was inedible
because they had taken an old woody beet and slivered it raw and put it in
there. The slivers were piercing the sides of my mouth and my tongue. I
gave up. The mashed potatoes were badly seasoned instant. Mine were quite
flavorless and I was one of the first ones to go through the line. My
friend was one of the last ones and she said hers were inedible because they
were so salty. There were rolls on the table but they were so hard and
crusty I thought I would lose a tooth taking a bite of it. In the end I
wound up just eating one roll with a ton of butter on it in an attempt to
delay any spike I might have gotten from it. I pretty much had to tear off
tiny bits with my teeth and let them soften in my mouth before I could chew
them.

I was worried because I hadn't had any protein. They did have peanuts at
the bar, but the woman sitting next to me pitched a fit when her husband
brought some to the table. She said she had a life threatening peanut
allergy and he was going to kill her. So I didn't dare eat them.

I know she and her kids had terrible allergies. They had a sign up at their
front door telling visitors to remove their shoes because they didn't want
pollen to be tracked in.

Once her husband invited me over for tea. She wasn't home. I don't know
where she was. He didn't take his shoes off and told me to leave mine on.
He chuckled as he said this. I was soooo worried that she would come in and
find us with our shoes on. I actually got along with her husband quite
well. But she was another matter.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> Texture of food is just as important to me as the taste. And bread
>>> that has been frozen has a bad texture to me.
>>>
>>> I was one baffled by a coworker who ate a piece of cake that had
>>> been sitting out uncovered for about 3 days. He said the cake was
>>> excellent even though stale. He said he could tell that it had a
>>> good flavor. The baffling part to me was how he could eat it to
>>> begin with. Had I put something like that in my mouth I would have
>>> had to spit it out right away.

>> A friend's brother (when we in high school) used to tip his potato
>> chips out of a packet into a bowl and wouldn't eat them for at least
>> a week. I used to gag at the thought, lol. I like mine very crispy.

> I can only eat freshly popped corn. Angela probably prefers it that
> way but doesn't mind it if it is stale. I usually pop extra for her
> and put it in a bag. She also would never put a chip clip on bags of
> chips or pretzels. Drove me nuts! I would throw them out. She didn't
> mind eating them though.

No one in my house will eat popcorn after the first half hour or so of
it being popped. I have tried reheating it slightly but its not nice
IMO.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> A friend's brother (when we in high school) used to tip his potato chips
>>> out of a packet into a bowl and wouldn't eat them for at least a week. I
>>> used to gag at the thought, lol. I like mine very crispy.

>> I can only eat freshly popped corn. Angela probably prefers it that way
>> but doesn't mind it if it is stale. I usually pop extra for her and put
>> it in a bag. She also would never put a chip clip on bags of chips or
>> pretzels. Drove me nuts! I would throw them out. She didn't mind eating
>> them though.

> No one in my house will eat popcorn after the first half hour or so of it
> being popped. I have tried reheating it slightly but its not nice IMO.

I once pan popped a ton of it and kept it warm in the oven at the lowest
temp. My roommate at the time was having a bunch of people over for a
meeting and I wasn't sure when they would arrive. They loved it and thought
it was freshly popped. Granted it hadn't been sitting there for long.
Maybe an hour.

I just bought a microwave popper for Angela. It is the kind that I used to
use all the time. It's a lidded bowl. Works very well and makes a
reasonable amount. The only problem is if you drop it. Then it just
shatters. I am not sure what it is made of. Looks sort of like plastic but
it's not plastic.

We also got some kettle corn seasoning that claims to have no carbs in it.
I think they get away with that by saying that a couple of shakes is a
serving. She hasn't tried them yet. She has been being very good with her
diet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:
: wendy, what is the signifigance of the dry red wine for the sabbath? is it
: required or is white or sweet not allowed? sorry for going off the topic of
: the thread but i am curious, Lee
Any kosher wine is allowed. In the old ays allkosher wines were
sickeningly sweet. Fortunately, we now have very nie dry ones, which are
good for us diabetic!. For Sabath white or red. for Passover, only red.

Wendy
: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" > wrote:
: > : In article >, "W. Baker"
: > >
: > : wrote:
: >
: > : > Julie Bove > wrote:
: > : >
: > : > : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

which brand of popper did you get? we had an orvile redenbacher, sp with
those paper discs in it, very good for what it was nd the price, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> I can only eat freshly popped corn. Angela probably prefers it that way
>>> but doesn't mind it if it is stale. I usually pop extra for her and put
>>> it in a bag. She also would never put a chip clip on bags of chips or
>>> pretzels. Drove me nuts! I would throw them out. She didn't mind
>>> eating them though.

>> No one in my house will eat popcorn after the first half hour or so of it
>> being popped. I have tried reheating it slightly but its not nice IMO.

> I once pan popped a ton of it and kept it warm in the oven at the lowest
> temp. My roommate at the time was having a bunch of people over for a
> meeting and I wasn't sure when they would arrive. They loved it and
> thought it was freshly popped. Granted it hadn't been sitting there for
> long. Maybe an hour.
>
> I just bought a microwave popper for Angela. It is the kind that I used
> to use all the time. It's a lidded bowl. Works very well and makes a
> reasonable amount. The only problem is if you drop it. Then it just
> shatters. I am not sure what it is made of. Looks sort of like plastic
> but it's not plastic.
>
> We also got some kettle corn seasoning that claims to have no carbs in it.
> I think they get away with that by saying that a couple of shakes is a
> serving. She hasn't tried them yet. She has been being very good with
> her diet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, i read about kosher from time to time but trying to read it from the
outside is overwhelming at time, and what i find fascinating is the rules
and the "whys" of it so i hope you don't mind me asking... i love all those
sickenly sweet wines, lol, but then there isn't much wine i don't at least
like, i have to be careful with the reds because of migraines, ... Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> : > 60
> : > : carbs per meal. I try to go lower, but I still easily manage my
> diabetes
> : > with
> : > : this level
> : >
> : > Then o are fortunate. Msto of us here find that 60 grams of carb per
> meal
> : > wold cause real problems and require usto take far moe meds than we
> are
> : > currently managing with. I fine that about 30 works well for me.
> : > tonight, for example I am havign a bit treat, an ear of very fresh
> corn on
> : > the cob. I am having this with a nice treat steak and a medium green
> : > salad with ome made vinegretteand NO fruit dessert. I will have a
> glas of
> : > dry red wine tonight as it is the Sabbath.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> which brand of popper did you get? we had an orvile redenbacher, sp with
> those paper discs in it, very good for what it was nd the price, Lee

I don't remember. Not that one. I had the one with the paper discs. Hated
it!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i can't eat popcorn but the dh loved his, that is once we figured out to buy
the discs from walmart site to store, where they were actually available and
mch cheaper, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> which brand of popper did you get? we had an orvile redenbacher, sp with
>> those paper discs in it, very good for what it was nd the price, Lee

> I don't remember. Not that one. I had the one with the paper discs.
> Hated it!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i can't eat popcorn but the dh loved his, that is once we figured out to
>buy the discs from walmart site to store, where they were actually
>available and mch cheaper, Lee

I hated the smell of it and then I had a disc catch on fire. That was the
end of that.

This is the one I bought. Nordic Ware. And then it will break. And then I
will curse myself for buying another.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGQQ8wIwAQ#

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

never had one catch on fire but i will tell the dh, as you might expect we
are very fire risk adverse, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>i can't eat popcorn but the dh loved his, that is once we figured out to
>>buy the discs from walmart site to store, where they were actually
>>available and mch cheaper, Lee

> I hated the smell of it and then I had a disc catch on fire. That was the
> end of that.
>
> This is the one I bought. Nordic Ware. And then it will break. And then
> I will curse myself for buying another.
>
> http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGQQ8wIwAQ#

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/3/2011 1:29 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> i can't eat popcorn but the dh loved his, that is once we figured out to
>> buy the discs from walmart site to store, where they were actually
>> available and mch cheaper, Lee

> I hated the smell of it and then I had a disc catch on fire. That was the
> end of that.
>
> This is the one I bought. Nordic Ware. And then it will break. And then I
> will curse myself for buying another.
>
> http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGQQ8wIwAQ#

that's the popcorn popper that i have had in use for 25 years

i've dropped it, and fortunately it didn't break

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/3/2011 1:29 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> i can't eat popcorn but the dh loved his, that is once we figured out to
>>> buy the discs from walmart site to store, where they were actually
>>> available and mch cheaper, Lee

>> I hated the smell of it and then I had a disc catch on fire. That was
>> the
>> end of that.
>>
>> This is the one I bought. Nordic Ware. And then it will break. And
>> then I
>> will curse myself for buying another.
>>
>> http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGQQ8wIwAQ#
>>

> that's the popcorn popper that i have had in use for 25 years
>
> i've dropped it, and fortunately it didn't break

Really? I've had countless ones. They only seem to last me a year or two.
But I also used to eat a lot more popcorn than I do now. Often it was what
I had for dinner.