Old 17-09-2011, 12:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Kisses filled with air

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:

: "Peppermint Patootie" wrote in
message
:
news : In article ,
: "Ozgirl" wrote:
:
: When Quentin spoke of opinions he was speaking of his opinion of
the
: studies he had researched over many years. He never had
un-researched
: opinions. Everyone forms their own opinions about a subject. He
was
: no
: different in that respect. He also mentioned a number of times
that
: he
: was trying to fill a gap. The gap left from all the talks in the
: groups
: about medication, exercise and diet. Diet as in high carb, low
carb
: etc.
: Quentin and Annette both studied the individual foods as opposed
: the
: food groups themselves. They did indeed fill that gap. This has
led
: to a
: lot of people developing WOE's that weren't just "eat a lot of
: protein
: and fat" and avoid the starches". That can be nutritional suicide
if
: we
: don't evaluate what goes into our mouths.
:
: I find it difficult to believe that people had to be told by
someone
: else that 'just "eat a lot of protein and fat" and avoid the
: starches"'
: was not sufficient nutritional consideration to give to their
eating.
:
: While one might primarily mention the carb/protein/fat ratios when
: discussing treatment of diabetes, most of the people in these
groups
: are
: not idiots.
:
: PP

: You don't have to be an idiot to not understand good nutrition.
: Especially if new to dietary changes i.e. before one hears what
others
: are eating. Plus Annette and Quentin took nutrition one step further
by
: researching foods and their particular benefits, especially to
: diabetics, some of who need to make every single bite count if they
are
: watching carbs very carefully. That's a lot different to being told
what
: veggies/fruits are low carb/low GI. I'll wager there are a lot of
people
: who don't know the value of certain low carb veggies over others.
That's
: the gap I am talking about. And if you recall anything in ASD you
should
: be able to recall that there have been many discussions about good
: nutrition when some people have shared their low carb diets in the
: group.

Every time I eat my hambutger at a local restauant with no bun, sliced
red
onions, a bed of lettuce , a little ketchup adn a pickle I think of
Quentin and quercetin, which he often mentioned as being in that red
onion.

The general advice that I received when finding my diabetic WOE was to
eat
a wde variety of freen and colored lnon-starchy vebetables, not only
leafy
one, but all kinds of peppers, crucfeous ones, etc. What is a shame
is
that there seems to be no spac onf ASD these days for such advice or
comments what with the constant arguing. I fear that newbies don't
get
what they need about the vegetably diet that marked the lower carb
diet
so many of us found so useful. It works and made so many of us well
controlled and healthy, bu tnow seems to alwasy be codemnedby ssorted
people.

We all had different ways of working this, from Jana's 6 small meals
which spread her carbs out and included all kinds of vegetables, to
Alan's
low spike, wiwth his belived meusli at night,etc. Where have all
these
useful discussions gone?

Wendy

One of my sons and myself visited Annette and her hubby for a week about
8 or so years ago. 5 hour train trip plus a one hour car ride to their
house. We had a ball sharing food hints Every meal was great and we
had a lot of fun putting the meals together adding our own little bits
of nutritional wisdom to the mix Because of Quentin I have raw red
onion twice a day most days. Funny how things stick I miss Annette's
focus on eye health.

Old 17-09-2011, 01:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-archive; yes

On 9/17/2011 5:32 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:

no,Susan, Quentin was one of the first folks to speak of WHY we eat WHAT
we do............... his whole book "Nutrition for Blokes" was aimed at
teaching people why this food is good or us............ he didn't feel
comfortable trying to teach women how to cook as he cooked 'very basic'
dishes (his opinion, not mine)

the spice and food combinations he came up with were incredible and
delicious............ but he was very wary of 'creating recipes"

Annette was also very diligent into looking into food composition and
reasons why we should choose x over g or such

it was a very enlighting time, and a great discussion series that went
on.............. i feel many people learned a great deal from Quentin
and Annette back in 'those days'

wait, there is a concise posted on the web site for asd of the valuable
information Quentin provided here

Not here; asd and smn, IIRC.

Quentin was human, and he was fallible as are we all, in our analysis
and thinking. But it was never for lack of thought or effort at thinking
things through.

One way we often differed was in his focus on measurements of components
of food and their theoretical effects and mine on clinical outcomes as
the real measure. This was one of the glories of our communications,
because we were each working a completely different side of the equation.

His mind was just so fertile and searching at all times.

Susan
Old 17-09-2011, 03:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I tried to read there but simply found it too stressful, Lee

: "Ozgirl" wrote:
:
: When Quentin spoke of opinions he was speaking of his opinion of the
: studies he had researched over many years. He never had un-researched
: opinions. Everyone forms their own opinions about a subject. He was
: no
: different in that respect. He also mentioned a number of times that
: he
: was trying to fill a gap. The gap left from all the talks in the
: groups
: about medication, exercise and diet. Diet as in high carb, low carb
: etc.
: Quentin and Annette both studied the individual foods as opposed to

Old 17-09-2011, 07:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
snip
We all had different ways of working this, from Jana's 6 small meals
which spread her carbs out and included all kinds of vegetables, to
Alan's low spike, wiwth his belived meusli at night,etc. Where have
all these useful discussions gone?

Wendy

Apparently into endless yapping and snarking about "some here" and supposed
"dog piling" and "ADhAters" and accusations of false identity and
sock-puppetry and the like.

Old 17-09-2011, 08:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 9/16/2011 9:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
much snipped
I think the population as a whole hasn't a clue about nutrition. I
remember
the big push for chicken back in the 80's. I can't tell you how many
people
were bragging about being good and eating chicken while they were
munching
on something fried from McDonalds's or KFC or some such place.

Julie, do you remember telling Q that you didn't understand what he had
just said, and he would return to the subject until you had an
understanding................. he did this in a polite, friendly, gentle,
kind, sincere, ELOQUENT manner (not shouting, i will ever respect Quentin
as being ever so Eloquent!)

Yes.

Old 19-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Banned

I think I'm lost in the discussion. First there were Kisses and then the discussion about transfat and oil? I'm really confused right now. Anyways, back to the chocolate.. I used to love kisses because it's really sweet and it's in bite size. It's not my favorite chocolate of all but it is one of the chocolates I like to eat.
Old 19-09-2011, 04:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"haleymcadams1" wrote in
message .. .

I think I'm lost in the discussion. First there were Kisses and then the
discussion about transfat and oil? I'm really confused right now.

It's called thread drift. :-)

Cheri

Old 19-09-2011, 07:38 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/19/2011 4:29 AM, haleymcadams1 wrote:
I think I'm lost in the discussion. First there were Kisses and then the
discussion about transfat and oil? I'm really confused right now.
Anyways, back to the chocolate.. I used to love kisses because it's
really sweet and it's in bite size. It's not my favorite chocolate of
all but it is one of the chocolates I like to eat.

Threads in this newsgroup tend to wander around enough that,
in some newsgroups, they'd be repeatedly renamed to match
the wandering.

Back to chocolate: I prefer dark chocolate since it tends
to have less effect on my blood glucose readings.

Robert Miles
Old 19-09-2011, 08:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

it went pretty well today, but still the thougt that we were
leaving him, once agian there and not comign home together got the tears
started. My son led a lovely service that he created searching for
psaalms that mentioned music, trumpets, shofars. etc and made a nice
speech. y younger son made a short speech adn I had everyone sind"You are
my Sunshine," which Syd and I had sung together every day that he was home
in hospice care, including his last morning. I also sang Franz Schubert's
soong, Wanderer's Nachtleid about a man returning home as darknes cones in
and the world quietens down who know he will soon be home. It is one of
the few of these wonderful songs that I still can singdecently, what wiht
age narrowing my range adn lowering my voice and the loss of fflexibility
that comes from disuse. Jo let it close the service except for one long
single not that he played on a shofar.
Wendy- kind of sad, but glad to see that the stone an grave are looking
as they should .

That sounds like it was a beautiful service, Wendy! And appropriate in
many ways.

Priscilla
- Chris Malcolm
Old 19-09-2011, 11:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Lol, threads drift constantly on usenet

"haleymcadams1" wrote in
message .. .

--